Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,683 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Neighborhood 4th of July pool party at the country club in Austin today. Not exactly a bastion of hard right conservatives here, but still didn't see a SINGLE Bud Light among the patrons despite tons of flowing alcohol.
This is how you humble brag.
Scruffy
AG
Anecdote: I Grilled on the pool deck and for all the people there I didn't see 1 BL can or bottle.
Saw plenty of ML cans.
I'm in downtown Nashville.

Bud light is hurting.
ProgN
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12264303/Bud-Light-sales-shrunk-28-week-holiday-weekend.html
Quote:

Ahead of the Fourth of July weekend Bud Light sales remained much lower than in the same period last year.

Sales did however see a small rise than its worst year-on-year sales recorded the week of June 17.

Sales of Bud Light dropped 27.9 percent on last year in the week ending June 24, which is slightly better than its worst decline on record - 28.5 percent the week before, according to Nielsen IQ data provided by Bump Williams Consulting to The New York Post.

But unit sales were still deteriorating - down 31.3 percent for the week ending June 24, worse than the 31.1 percent decline in the week before.

Bud Light's suffering sales were onset when the brand partnered with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney.

Quote:

'The Fourth of July is the biggest beer holiday in terms of retail sales and an opportunity to move a lot of volume,' Dave Williams, vice president for analytics and insights at Bump Williams Consulting, told the Post.

'And there has been no notable signs where the course has changed for Bud Light.'

Modelo Especial's distribution is controlled by Bud Light parent Anheuser-Busch but its US operations are owned by Constellation Brands, which reported an 11 percent increase in sales for the second quarter of this year.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Just got back from the store. One of the biggest drinking days of the year and bud and bud light was struggling to sell. Most other brands decimated but maybe 10-cases of bud light missing out of cooler and end cap pallet. Modelo, coors and coors light had the biggest dent.

Saw a chola with a suitcase of bud light in her buggy. She might even have bought the bud light praying to get called out on it wherever she was headed,

Looked like the type that might try to stab me, so I averted my gaze and she rolled right past me.
AnScAggie
AG
I agree with your assessment. At this point people that are buying BL and showy about it are definitely looking for an argument so they can make some stupid statement whatever that may be. I've been at a few places after this fiasco started where people were loudly ordering BL and in all those cases you could tell they were just hoping someone would say something to them.
fullback44
AG
I went into the store several times this past weekend.. Bud light looked like nothing was moving , fully stocked .. I did drink some Miller Light on Sunday .. bud light wasn't allowed at the party we were at
Stat Monitor Repairman
That was the sense that I got.

She had the case of bud light propped in her buggy in an unnatural way.

This lady coming down the aisle with a case a bud light splayed out like the hood of a Winston cup car
The Brazos Kid
At Kroger yesterday. BL trying to get all patriotic with their prices…
Stat Monitor Repairman
Bud light is forever associated with drama and controversy.

If it takes 21 days to establish a habit. Bud light got twice that with the habit being not buying their product.

I don't think the bud light people have come to terms with the fact that people aren't just going to start buying bud light again.

People want to drink beer and relax. Nobody wants to buy themselves a problem.

We've gotten to the point where people buying bud light are looked at with suspicion.

This story is wild. I don't know how it could get any worse for bud light.

Marketing people inherit the best selling beer in the US. Within 2-months destroyed their sales ... and destroyed the entire brand itself.
TacosaurusRex
A little more anecdotal story time: We had our company picnic at the local ball park last week and it was on the Budweiser party deck, so free beer for about a 100 people. Unfortunately the only beer available was bud heavy, light, and Ultra. People bit their tongue and drank all of the Ultra, and had the coolers refilled a couple of times, but only two bud lights were taken, and that was by my buddy that was waiting on more Ultras to be brought up. The jokes were plenty, and relentless for him picking up the bud light. It was as if people were saving their jokes for whoever decided to pick up the bud light and unleashed hell on them. It was a lot of fun.

These were blue collar guys and we couldn't give away Bud Light. FOR FREE.
agent-maroon
AG
6 months ago those same blue collar guys were buying/drinking it by the caseload. A meteor shaped like dylan mulvaney has struck beer planet and the budlightasaurs are going extinct.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggies2009
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

If it takes 21 days to establish a habit. Bud light got twice that with the habit being not buying their product.

I don't think the bud light people have come to terms with the fact that people aren't just going to start buying bud light again.
The worst thing for Bud Light is ultimately that it tastes awful. These "boycotts" happen all the time and last like a week at best. Think about Chick Fil A. Liberals cried that Chick Fil A was "hateful" and to this day still cry about it..... As they eat there in droves because their product is great. This time, people decided they'd boycott, drank a better beer, and realized that there were so many better options out there for them.

Not only that, Bud Light has done everything short of apologizing. They put out statements like "We hear you" and try to make commercials with "How do you do, fellow Patriots?" vibes. But they won't actually come out and say, "Look, we ****ed up by getting involved with this figure. A couple of marketing execs blew the call and we've removed them." Sadly for them, it's probably too late at this point.
Ayto Siks
I used to be indifferent and liked trying different beers. But now I pay attention and I'm amazed at the distribution leverage AB has in the market.

I was at a minor league baseball game recently and the beer options were: Bud Light, Budweiser, Goose Island, Mich Ultra, Golden Road, Wicked Weed, Kona, Landshark, Stella and Sweetwater... I don't know about Sweetwater, but the rest are all from AB.

Same story at a restaurant after the game. You really have to know the full portfolio, and some places are almost 100% AB products. Not sure how they cornered the market in some establishments, but I'm sure their sales would be way worse if people weren't trapped by restricted options in some locations.
Robert L. Peters
Just a reminder that Karbauch is also AB.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Sweep4-2
I was at a race (running) yesterday morning and at the after party they had free Bud, Bud Light and some kind of light beer from Karbach.

I don't really like lagers or light beer, but I drank several cold/free beers out of the free bud light cup they were serving in, and it didn't generate any judgement, confrontation or comments one way or the other (pro or against bud light).

Of course, maybe it did and the music was just too loud (or I'm too old) to hear it haha.

Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Ken Adams
AG
Because anecdotal stories for this fiasco are fun...Got my haircut last week and they keep a fridge stocked with plenty of beer while you wait. They had one BL bottle left and I heard someone ask the owner about it. He said they are letting that run out and aren't restocking once it was finished. And that it has taken almost a month for that one case to be used up.

I only saw people grabbing Shiner and Modelo.
Ag with kids
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

I was at a race (running) yesterday morning and at the after party they had free Bud, Bud Light and some kind of light beer from Karbach.

I don't really like lagers or light beer, but I drank several cold/free beers out of the free bud light cup they were serving in, and it didn't generate any judgement, confrontation or comments one way or the other (pro or against bud light).

Of course, maybe it did and the music was just too loud (or I'm too old) to hear it haha.

I just want to tell you congrats on finally coming out of the closet. We all know how hard that can be. I want you to know that we all support you in your new life.
Sweep4-2
Wait a minute....you mean the people saying "Congrats!" and "You did fabulous!" were not congratulating me for my race results??? Wow...it seems so clear now.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Prosperdick
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Just a reminder that Karbauch is also AB.
I like Karbach beer although my main two beers are Shiner and St. Arnold's Lawnmower. I'm not sure we should try to boycott peripheral beers like Karbach for a few reasons:

• It just won't move the needle so you're doing it really for no effect
  • Karbach beer for the most part tastes good
  • Bud Light is the one that needs to be killed off as a warning to all other businesses (not just beer companies) that we don't want politics shoved down our collective throats - if you continue we will continue killing other products or businesses (like Target)
The Fife
I've seen exactly one person with a Bud Lite, and he bought only one. But he's a Democrat party member so it's to be expected.
Ayto Siks
Nope. Sweep the leg, no mercy. My money isn't going to Karbach either.
akm91
AG
Where do you get your haircut?
American Hardwood
AG
Yeah, gotta disagree. Bud Light most definitely takes the spotlight, but the problem isn't waht the brand did, it's the executive arrogance behind it. That goes all the way up the InBev chain. I am doing my best to avoid all InBev products because they won't care if one brand is killed and another one picks up the slack like Michelob Ultra.

Saying that, I did have a Karbach at a restaurant the other day because all they had were AB products and I believe Karbach is only half owned by AB. Not a great excuse but if there are no other viable options, I'll take the Karbach, but I might nurse it so I need only order one where I might normally have 2-3.

(ETA: If anyone knows the actual percentage ownership of Karbach by AB, please post. I don't want to put out incorrect info.)
ProgN
That's why I switched from MU to YF.
American Hardwood
AG
If I am getting a light beer, it's YF or my old standby Lone Star Light. But, dining out and events can present a problem where AB is the sole provider.
Prosperdick
AG
American Hardwood said:

Yeah, gotta disagree. Bud Light most definitely takes the spotlight, but the problem isn't waht the brand did, it's the executive arrogance behind it. That goes all the way up the InBev chain. I am doing my best to avoid all InBev products because they won't care if one brand is killed and another one picks up the slack like Michelob Ultra.

Saying that, I did have a Karbach at a restaurant the other day because all they had were AB products and I believe Karbach is only half owned by AB. Not a great excuse but if there are no other viable options, I'll take the Karbach, but I might nurse it so I need only order one where I might normally have 2-3.

(ETA: If anyone knows the actual percentage ownership of Karbach by AB, please post. I don't want to put out incorrect info.)
Well personally I've yet to have Karbach since this all started so I guess I've been doing my part. I do love how big of a story this has become and the legacy media can't sweep it under the rug.

I can't wait to see how bad their numbers are or if they say F it, we're fudging our numbers and will take the audit risk.
Tramp96
akm91 said:

Where do you get your haircut?
Sounds like knockouts.

CDUB98
AG
American Hardwood said:

InBev owns 49% of Karbach.

The rest of the shareholders are the original owners and other investors. I was told this directly by someone who would know.
Ag with kids
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Wait a minute....you mean the people saying "Congrats!" and "You did fabulous!" were not congratulating me for my race results??? Wow...it seems so clear now.
You didn't realize it when they made you "wear the ribbon" after the race?
aggiejayrod
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Just got back from the store. One of the biggest drinking days of the year and bud and bud light was struggling to sell. Most other brands decimated but maybe 10-cases of bud light missing out of cooler and end cap pallet. Modelo, coors and coors light had the biggest dent.

Saw a chola with a suitcase of bud light in her buggy. She might even have bought the bud light praying to get called out on it wherever she was headed,

Looked like the type that might try to stab me, so I averted my gaze and she rolled right past me.

So you didn't even say hi to Charpiestaff?
dahouse
AG
I've been on the yuengling train. Problem is, they have Flight or original lager. I really like the light but it's hard to find.

I drank shiner light and yuengling for 'Murica day, and Tito's.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
aggiedata
AG
Oh no. Now the left wing is boycotting Bud Lite

"Left-wing outlet Jezebel ran an article on Bud Light last month with the headline, "Bud Light Is Embracing Country Music and Football to Try and Win Back Transphobes."
TresPuertas
AG
aggiedata said:

"Left-wing outlet Jezebel ran an article on Bud Light last month with the headline, "Bud Light Is Embracing Country Music and Football to Try and Win Back Transphobes."

i love the word "transphobe". it implies i'm scared of trans people. It's not that i'm scared of them, it's just that i don't like them
mosdefn14
AG
My Costco (DFW) no longer has a pallet spot for bud light. I did notice PBR tonight. There were 3 or 4 loose cases of BL, but interesting it doesn't have a spot in the planogram.

Eta wrong emoji
YouBet
AG
TresPuertas said:

aggiedata said:

i love the word "transphobe". it implies i'm scared of trans people. It's not that i'm scared of them, it's just that i don't like them

Agreed although I am scared ****less to be seen drinking BL because I don't want anyone to think I'm a Democrat.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.