Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

455,919 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Tramp96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I honestly didn't realize they sold that much beer that they could be at over $20 billion in losses in what amounts to one quarter.

That just blows my mind that they sell (correction, used to sell) that much beer.
CDUB98
AG
Is it $20B inlosses or in market cap?

The Q2 report isn't out yet, so I'm thinking market cap.
Stat Monitor Repairman
YouBet
AG
CDUB98 said:

Is it $20B inlosses or in market cap?

The Q2 report isn't out yet, so I'm thinking market cap.

I think it's market cap. All for one shim.
bonfarr
AG
This seems like some publicist hired by InBev is planting these stories to try to roll back the boycott. Make people feel bad for the poor workers that had nothing to do with the Mulvaney fiasco so they stop making fun of others for buying BL. I am seeing more and more of these stories popping up.

If the bottler in this article can't sell bottles to Coors or Yuengling which are having a sales surge then that's on them.
captkirk
AG
bonfarr said:

This seems like some publicist hired by InBev is planting these stories to try to roll back the boycott. Make people feel bad for the poor workers that had nothing to do with the Mulvaney fiasco so they stop making fun of others for buying BL. I am seeing more and more of these stories popping up.
It won't work
Gaius Julius Bevo
The plant in Louisiana would probably have been shuttered soon anyway. It badly needed renovations and the numbers weren't there to make it worthwhile. https://www.google.com/amp/s/lincolnparishjournal.com/2023/06/22/simsboro-glass-plant-closing-stuns-many/amp/

Still I feel badly for those laid-off, and yes Bud Light is justifiably being shunned by their former customers. ESG makes companies lose sight of basics like profits and not antagonizing your patrons.
Stat Monitor Repairman
DEI and ESG is another name for economic warfare.

At the end of the day it's the truck drivers, mechanics and forklift operators that get laid off.

Not everybody in the world is smart enough to work in the c-suite and destroy peoples' jobs by trying to be cute on tiktok.
CDUB98
AG
Time for Yuengling to snatch up o of these fire sale plants.
BassCowboy33
This is a few days old. I went through the thread and couldn't find this, so forgive me if I missed it.

This is a NYT times article about the Bud Light fiasco. Some of the info is wild, and the Times seems to insinuate losses are even worse than AB is reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/29/business/bud-light-sales.html

"At this point, it's cheaper than some of the cases of water we're selling in the back," Mr. Wagner said, noting that sales of Bud Light at the store since mid-April were down 45 percent from a year ago. "It's just not moving like it used to."

"Here we are about 10 weeks into it, and we're still seeing double-digit declines in volumes nationally," said Bump Williams, who runs the consulting firm that bears his name. "This is no longer an anomaly. This is a trend of concern."

" Indeed, most larger beer distributors or wholesalers middlemen who buy brands from brewers like Anheuser-Busch and Molson Coors and then sell them to stores, restaurants and bars believe the fallout will last more than six months, according to a survey released this month by the Wall Street investment bank Jefferies. A third of distributors believe the impact on Bud Light will be permanent."
redsquirrelAG
AG
Bud light doesn't care about money. The elites that own these countries and run the world are playing chess while y'all are playing tic tac toe in the dirt. Wake up. Stop being used! Red vs blue black vs white gay vs straight....divide and conquer. Contoller your mind thru endless phyops.
techno-ag
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

This is a few days old. I went through the thread and couldn't find this, so forgive me if I missed it.

This is a NYT times article about the Bud Light fiasco. Some of the info is wild, and the Times seems to insinuate losses are even worse than AB is reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/29/business/bud-light-sales.html

"At this point, it's cheaper than some of the cases of water we're selling in the back," Mr. Wagner said, noting that sales of Bud Light at the store since mid-April were down 45 percent from a year ago. "It's just not moving like it used to."

"Here we are about 10 weeks into it, and we're still seeing double-digit declines in volumes nationally," said Bump Williams, who runs the consulting firm that bears his name. "This is no longer an anomaly. This is a trend of concern."

" Indeed, most larger beer distributors or wholesalers middlemen who buy brands from brewers like Anheuser-Busch and Molson Coors and then sell them to stores, restaurants and bars believe the fallout will last more than six months, according to a survey released this month by the Wall Street investment bank Jefferies. A third of distributors believe the impact on Bud Light will be permanent."
NOW they're concerned.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

nortex97
AG
"Since April, we've had a couple of machines down."

Hmmm…

Quote:

In a statement last Thursday, the company told the Ruston leader in Lousiana that the Wilson plant is closing, along with the Ruston plant, which employs 245 people. The statement doesn't identify a specific reason for the closures, only calling them part of a "Multi-year Performance Optimization Program."

"Since April, we've had a couple of machines down," said James Munhall, Journeyman Machine Repair Mechanic. "It was, of course, being pointed towards the Bud Light situation."

WRAL News obtained an internal memo from the Wilson plant manager dated May 18. it says, "Due to slow sales with Anheuser Inbev," two of the factory's production lines would be shutting down. Multiple longtime employees at the Wilson plant say most of their business was making bottles for Budweiser and bud light.

Industry data shows Bud light's sales fell 24% during May after a nationwide boycott over the brand's partnership with a transgender influencer.
Prosperdick
AG
Quote:

This is what I was saying early on in this thread and was rebuffed with there's no way misreport with the big bad SEC overseeing everything. Of course, the SEC is just another bloated, weaponized and politicized bureaucracy that I'm sure could easily look the other way, all in the name of protecting woke BS.
CDUB98
AG
No, I said that we won't know for certain until the Q2 filings come out.

Do not misrepresent what I said.
Prosperdick
AG
CDUB98 said:

No, I said that we won't know for certain until the Q2 filings come out.

Do not misrepresent what I said.
And you really don't think they couldn't misrepresent quarterly earnings?

Hey, in the past I'm sure there's no way a company could pull that **** off without getting into major trouble but in this woke silly environment where up is down and down is up I don't trust anything any big corporation states and REALLY don't believe anything coming out of the government or any type of oversight when an ideology is at stake.

nortex97
AG
Former in-Bev executive calls for AB CEO Whitworth to be fired:

Quote:

"The privacy and safety of our employees and our partners is always our top priority," the beer giant said. "As we move forward, we will focus on what we do best brewing great beer for everyone and earning our place in moments that matter to our consumers."

Frericks blasted the company for its lack of clarity.

"What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. And it will only deepen the chasm between the brand and its customers," Frericks wrote. "As such and I take no pleasure in passing this judgment it's clear to me that it's time for the shareholders and board of Anheuser-Busch to ask Whitworth to step down."

Frericks said he had a "good relationship" with Whitworth, and he "personally promoted him twice" and made him president of Anheuser Busch Sales & Distribution Co in 2021.
Quote:

"He's been paralyzed by corporate America's forced adoption of 'stakeholder' capitalism, which preaches to companies about why they must serve activists, politicians, non-governmental organizations, and all manner of interests anyone really apart from their shareholders and customers!" Frericks wrote.

Instead of listening to ordinary Americans, whose life savings are being held in pensions, he said Whitworth is being controlled by large asset managers known as the "Big Three" which are Vanguard, BlackRock, and State Street. He said the Big Three are pushing "diversity and inclusion" targets, something which ordinary Americans don't care about, who "want the best for their families."

"Whitworth has clearly shown himself to be incapable of solving the Mulvaney crisis," Frericks said. "It's time he did the right thing and stepped aside to make way for someone capable righting the sinking Bud Light ship"
I mean, yes, he's 100 percent right. I think it's too late though, and it won't matter if/when Whitworth leaves/who replaces him at this point. The company/brand made its decisions, and might as well just stick with them the whole way down.
45-70Ag
AG
The only chance they've got to regain what they've lost is to sell AB back to the Busch family and reignite some of the old advertising that focused on what made it popular to begin with. And it'll take time for that to work, for whatever reason people were loyal to BL and when the idiots in control gave their customers the finger, the customers noticed.

Anything outside of that, they'll never recover.
YouBet
AG
Just wanted to point out the delusional dumbass that is Garth Brooks.

Re: Serving Bud Light in his bars.

Quote:

"I might be the only Republican at this place, but it's about reaching across and loving one another," Brooks reflected, adding that he's "so tired of being divided" and he believes Biden is "hellbent on making things good."
Get Off My Lawn
nortex97 said:

Quote:

"The privacy and safety of our employees and our partners is always our top priority," the beer giant said. "As we move forward, we will focus on what we do best brewing great beer for everyone and earning our place in moments that matter to our consumers."

"What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. And it will only deepen the chasm between the brand and its customers," Frericks wrote. "As such and I take no pleasure in passing this judgment it's clear to me that it's time for the shareholders and board of Anheuser-Busch to ask Whitworth to step down."

Frericks said he had a "good relationship" with Whitworth, and he "personally promoted him twice" and made him president of Anheuser Busch Sales & Distribution Co in 2021.
Quote:

"He's been paralyzed by corporate America's forced adoption of 'stakeholder' capitalism, which preaches to companies about why they must serve activists, politicians, non-governmental organizations, and all manner of interests anyone really apart from their shareholders and customers!" Frericks wrote.

Instead of listening to ordinary Americans, whose life savings are being held in pensions, he said Whitworth is being controlled by large asset managers known as the "Big Three" which are Vanguard, BlackRock, and State Street. He said the Big Three are pushing "diversity and inclusion" targets, something which ordinary Americans don't care about, who "want the best for their families."

"Whitworth has clearly shown himself to be incapable of solving the Mulvaney crisis," Frericks said. "It's time he did the right thing and stepped aside to make way for someone capable righting the sinking Bud Light ship"
I mean, yes, he's 100 percent right. I think it's too late though, and it won't matter if/when Whitworth leaves/who replaces him at this point. The company/brand made its decisions, and might as well just stick with them the whole way down.
I still maintain that there's a way out. There is. Conservatives know how to forgive. It's not what they'll choose, but if they pivot hard to become the champion for the blue collar man who opposes the social decline of our nation - they can break the stigma.

(And by oppose - I mean mocking the left in their commercials, taking legal action against the CSR, and speaking the words that peons under the corporate thumb aren't allowed to utter.)
Logos Stick
YouBet said:

Quote:

"I might be the only Republican at this place, but it's about reaching across and loving one another," Brooks reflected, adding that he's "so tired of being divided" and he believes Biden is "hellbent on making things good."

Dude is in darkness.

Speaking of division, here is what the Lord Jesus said about the matter. Truth always divides:

Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against or two in favor and three against.

'Father will be divided against son
and son against father;
mother against daughter
and daughter against mother;
and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law
and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.
techno-ag
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

nortex97 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I still maintain that there's a way out. There is. Conservatives know how to forgive. It's not what they'll choose, but if they pivot hard to become the champion for the blue collar man who opposes the social decline of our nation - they can break the stigma.

(And by oppose - I mean mocking the left in their commercials, taking legal action against the CSR, and speaking the words that peons under the corporate thumb aren't allowed to utter.)
It's a lot harder to build a brand up than it is to tear it down. How many cutesie or patriotic ads will it take to get to people to stop pointing at Bud Light, laugh and say "Gay!" Or to get people to stop saying "Transheuser-Busch!"

It's likely going to take a while.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

Get Off My Lawn
techno-ag said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

nortex97 said:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a lot harder to build a brand up than it is to tear it down. How many cutesie or patriotic ads will it take to get to people to stop pointing at Bud Light, laugh and say "Gay!" Or to get people to stop saying "Transheuser-Busch!"

It's likely going to take a while.
Oh - I'm tracking - I'm just saying there's a way. But it has to begin with a denunciation and public declaration of the pivot.
YouBet
AG
AB is simply going to focus on the other brands. They have an extremely diverse product mix that is global with geographical driven strategies. Their stock price has been around where it is right now for almost two years so well before this event happened. And it's never recovered from COVID being $30-50 dollars down from 2019.

I say all this because this one event will not bring them down. Bud Light may simply morph into something else, they push other brands in its place, or they make it up in other countries. On this latter note, the North AMerican market was already down 4% in 2022 before all of this happened because younger demos here do not drink as much as the rest of us.

I'm enjoying the Bud Light suicide as much as anyone but my main hope out of this is that AB stays out of the political fringes going forward and it becomes a lesson for all of corporate America to abandon stakeholder capitalism. If that happens, that will be massive win for America.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

But it has to begin with a denunciation and public declaration of the pivot.

In this day and age of stakeholder capitalism, I simply do not see that happening.
Get Off My Lawn
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

In this day and age of stakeholder capitalism, I simply do not see that happening.
Is it, though? I hear the fad terms thrown around, but at the end of the day the board rooms can close their doors against "external stakeholder voices" if they choose to.

Twitter isn't real life and valued goods / services can and do prevail every day without pandering for woke tailwinds.
AgDad121619
AG
YouBet said:

Quote:

what's dumb is even feeling the need to make a statement- if he wants to keep a tap on BL, as bar owner he can make that decision even if it never sells.

Those bars that choose to replace the tap with something else are just exercising their right as owners to do that. If BL was actually selling, nothing would have changed.
AgDad121619
AG
YouBet said:

AB is simply going to focus on the other brands. They have an extremely diverse product mix that is global with geographical driven strategies. Their stock price has been around where it is right now for almost two years so well before this event happened. And it's never recovered from COVID being $30-50 dollars down from 2019.

I say all this because this one event will not bring them down. Bud Light may simply morph into something else, they push other brands in its place, or they make it up in other countries. On this latter note, the North AMerican market was already down 4% in 2022 before all of this happened because younger demos here do not drink as much as the rest of us.

I'm enjoying the Bud Light suicide as much as anyone but my main hope out of this is that AB stays out of the political fringes going forward and it becomes a lesson for all of corporate America to abandon stakeholder capitalism. If that happens, that will be massive win for America.
distributors have shifted to Mich Ultra - a lot of stores I'm seeing have zero BL but expanded ML - problem is ML is different demographic market
CDUB98
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Is it, though? I hear the fad terms thrown around, but at the end of the day the board rooms can close their doors against "external stakeholder voices" if they choose to.

Twitter isn't real life and valued goods / services can and do prevail every day without pandering for woke tailwinds.

When those previously mentioned Big 3 own a significant chunk of your stock, ignoring them is risky. If they wish, they can dump a lot of shares, dropping the price, and then the board begins to see rumors of neglecting fiduciary duty.

Yes, those same calls are happening now, but only by small players like us, not the people who control millions of shares and/or dollars.

Reality of the situation is that nobody knows exactly what will happen. We're all providing opinion here.
American Hardwood
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

nortex97 said:

Quote:

Quote:

If Whitworth had led with this explanation and announced a change of policy in the face of it, he MIGHT have killed the boycott. But instead, he continued to condescendingly double down, then triple down on the 180 degree wrong approach. An approach that was glaringly obvious and fooled no one except maybe Garth Brooks.
ContinentalAg
I'm sure they will just push their other products. I'm making sure to not buy any In Bev products. It's Yuengling and some Coors for me now.
Jack Squat 83
AG
AgDad121619 said:

YouBet said:

Quote:

what's dumb is even feeling the need to make a statement- if he wants to keep a tap on BL, as bar owner he can make that decision even if it never sells.

Those bars that choose to replace the tap with something else are just exercising their right as owners to do that. If BL was actually selling, nothing would have changed.

Come on, if he didn't make a statement the world wouldn't know how good of a guy he is.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
ProgN
BL is trying too hard by hiring Kelse

Skillet Shot
I wouldn't even have recognized who that was without you pointing it out
techno-ag
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

ESG is a thing, unfortunately. BlackRock alone controls something like $12 trillion in assets.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.