Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,911 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
ntxVol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's going to kill their margins short term.

Still, they've lost a big chunk of their core customers that they'll never get back. This is only the beginning of the slow spiral to becoming an insignificant brand.
Stat Monitor Repairman
And they probably contract for raw materials years out.

So they'll end up having to resell to another brewery at a loss.
Gigem314
AG
CDUB98 said:

All opinion incoming.

Bud Light is too big to die.
AB and the Budweiser brand itself might be too big to die, but I don't see how the individual Bud Light brand recovers from this. They've lost their customer base. Maybe they can find a way to grab the younger market, but there are so many competitors today compared to the early years of the BL brand that it's going to be a difficult task. They are in the wrong product line for attracting young, woke, audiences. Beer drinkers don't tend to fall in that spectrum.
javajaws
AG
Never underestimate the short attention span of the average American. The fate of Bud Light is far from decided - only time will tell.
Tramp96
Gigem314 said:

CDUB98 said:

All opinion incoming.

AB and the Budweiser brand itself might be too big to die, but I don't see how the individual Bud Light brand recovers from this. They've lost their customer base. Maybe they can find a way to grab the younger market, but there are so many competitors today compared to the early years of the BL brand that it's going to be a difficult task. They are in the wrong product line for attracting young, woke, audiences. Beer drinkers don't tend to fall in that spectrum.

And the ones that do typically don't drink Bud Light anyway. They drink IPA's, craft beers, etc.
EclipseAg
AG
Appreciate all the inside info into how beer distributing/shelf space/bin space works.

TexAgs knows things.
ProgN
CDUB98 said:

All opinion incoming.

Any of y'all thinking they should completely rebrand or let it die are simply incorrect.

Looking at all the sales metrics were seeing, at most it is a 26% drop, that is still a lot of beer being sold...somewhere. AB has spent decades marketing this product and making it what it is.

While they may never see the peak sales numbers they once did, this is still a product people are drinking....again somewhere, and they can still make margin on it, just with less gross sales.
I know it won't die but the more pain they take the more it pushes them to do what they know they have to do to bring back their customer base. Only a complete public repudiation of the woke agenda and announcing that they will no longer permit DIE/ESG influencing how they run their business.
AustinCountyAg
CDUB98 said:

All opinion incoming.

Any of y'all thinking they should completely rebrand or let it die are simply incorrect.

Looking at all the sales metrics were seeing, at most it is a 26% drop, that is still a lot of beer being sold...somewhere. AB has spent decades marketing this product and making it what it is.

While they may never see the peak sales numbers they once did, this is still a product people are drinking....again somewhere, and they can still make margin on it, just with less gross sales.
bud light wont die, but it sends a message to other retailers out there that if you make stupid decisions it will have consequences. Billion dollar companies will survive, but the smaller ones may not.
nai06
AG
CDUB98 said:

All opinion incoming.

I think you are correct.

I was on an Alaskan cruise last week and there was plenty of bud light being had. Not as much as michelob ultra though. I think I saw maybe two or three people with miller lites the entire cruise.

This isn't a small or even decent size regional brewer. Bud Light is one of if not the most popular beer in America. It's been about 6 weeks since all of this went down. They can more than weather the storm and honestly the long term outlook is still unclear.
Jbob04
AG
nai06
AG
Nope, just a regular old Norwegian Cruise. Its was a mostly older crowd whom I assume hadn't heard of any controversy regarding Bud Light or simply just didn't care.
American Hardwood
AG
Gigem78130 said:

Discounts are monitored by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, with scrutiny placed on "special deals" by distributors. Now, a distributor can offer "firesale discounts" on close dated product, but firesales can't be offered exclusively to 1 chain, or 1 store legally. That's not to say it hasn't happened before. And, if you see a product that is discounted more than 25%, check the pull date on the package before buying a bunch of it, especially if it's stored in a hot garage.
I laugh at 'dated' beer that expires. I have some premium quads and stouts in my beer fridge that have been aging 2-3 years right now. They just get better with age. If your beer goes bad by a date printed on a can, you aren't drinking real beer.

ETA: Yes I know that there are some beers that are better fresh. Yellow Rose is one of them.
Robert L. Peters
Wait...ur telling me the people that choose the cheapest path to fake luxury are enjoying bud light? I wonder what the average iq is of a cruise tourist.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
American Hardwood
AG
I expect that his tale is exaggerated quite a bit. Have you been on an Alaskan cruise? Those aren't made for the Carnival Cruise Virgin Islands party crowd. They aren't drinking a lot of Bud Light. That is a cocktail crowd and old enough that they still haven't figured out how to use email.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Guys…you don't understand. nai06's random cruise anecdote proves this entire thread is a sham.
Chef Elko
AG
Of course they will survive, but how much are they going to lose? They goofed by doing this with essentially a commodity product that relies heavily on marketing. When you have multiple other light beers from Miller and Coors for the same exact price on the same exact shelf it's so easy to pick another brand. So that leave AB with lowering their price or paying more in marketing to increase demand.
Tramp96
If we are going to throw out random anecdotal cruise reports...

I was on a Royal Caribbean Mediterranean cruise last summer. I don't recall anyone drinking Bud Light or Bud. So there.
zoneag
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Guys…you don't understand. nai06's random cruise anecdote proves this entire thread is a sham.

He's at least moved on from saying that the Mulvaney partnership was a good marketing move for BL.
BenFiasco14
AG
I went on a cruise to Alaska a few years ago
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
nortex97
AG
Ellis Wyatt
BenFiasco14 said:

I've been to Alaska and cruised on a 4-wheeler. I have also wiped my Butt until the TP was light.

Makes you think.
ProgN
BenFiasco14 said:

Whale mating season?
AnScAggie
AG
Went to Tad's for lunch today and saw my first Bud Light ordered in a bottle in a month. Yesterday at another restaurant sat next to another table ordered a bunch of AB products.
ContinentalAg
Boycott may be starting to slow down. BL and Mich Ultra displays at HEB today were missing a few cases. Been awhile since I've seen that.
Buzzy
BL cases selling for under $1 a bottle at Walmart
Wild West Pimp Style
bonfarr
AG
ContinentalAg said:

Boycott may be starting to slow down. BL and Mich Ultra displays at HEB today were missing a few cases. Been awhile since I've seen that.

Memorial Day weekend is going to be the big test.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
deddog
AG
Stars game last night.
Bud Light sponsors a lot of stuff there.

There were very few budlight drinkers, but there were a lot of Michelob Ultra drinkers . Booo..
The only other lite choices were Miller and Negra Modello.

At a Texas Stars game in Austin , people weren't taking any free Stars hats ostensibly because of the Budlight logos on it.
That brand is ****ed.
Stat Monitor Repairman
We about to see legions of migrants outfitted in non-viable Bud Light swag?
Jeeper79
AG
Buzzy said:

People usually pay over $1 per bottle for that stuff?
Ag with kids
AG
Jeeper79 said:

Buzzy said:

People usually pay over $1 per bottle for that stuff?
I know...it's an indictment of the low IQ of some people...
astros4545
AG
javajaws said:

Never underestimate the short attention span of the average American. The fate of Bud Light is far from decided - only time will tell.

Way too easy to find comparable beer

Bud light done
BassCowboy33
In case anyone ever wondered about beer on a political scale, here is the latest I could find on politics and alcohol.
aggiehawg
AG
Glad to see I am consistent even in my choices of adult beverages. All red.
nortex97
AG
Bud Light's score on that must pre-date Alissa Heinerscheid's hiring/firing/work.

I don't know of even any friends of a friend who have had a BL since the 'incident' where they pissed on their own customers.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Wild that Busch and Busch light skew opposite ends of the spectrum.
First Page Last Page
Page 39 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.