Bud Light sales suffered over the weekend

458,906 Views | 3751 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thing is definitely picking up steam , on BL at least. I just walked into my second highest volume store and the AB delivery was being checked in. Out of an order of 120 cases 6 were Bud Light. 2 24 packs, 2 18 packs and a couple of cases of 16 oz 6 packs. Zero 12 packs.

Typically there would be 30-40 cases of BL.

There has been an uptick in the other AB brands, particularly Modelo, but not enough to compensate for the drop in BL. Overall beer sales are still solid with MC definitely picking up volume. I talked to the driver and this seems to be the norm this week.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
double b
AG
I played at a poker game last Friday night with about 35 guys. Not one guy had BL, and many stated they had completely stopped drinking it. I think BL has a long-term perception problem, and it will take significant time to repair the image of its brand.
BillYeoman
Maybe anecdotal but I noticed that the beer tub at 7-Eleven and now Circle K ONLY had Budweiser products. I am wondering if AB is paying for that tub/shelf space where it is exclusively AB products.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
BillYeoman said:

Maybe anecdotal but I noticed that the beer tub at 7-Eleven and now Circle K ONLY had Budweiser products. I am wondering if AB is paying for that tub/shelf space where it is exclusively AB products.
Yeah. Or maybe the store owner or clerk is getting a 'spiff' from the wholesaler to move slow-moving product before it expires.
bonfarr
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

BillYeoman said:

Yeah. Or maybe the store owner or clerk is getting a 'spiff' from the wholesaler to move slow-moving product before it expires.

The beer tubs at the major retailers are planogrammed 2x a year. The distributors sit down with the retailer category manager and review sales and they are set by market share. I used to work for CK and now for a comoetitor and ours are currently set to similar planograms with AB holding 70-80% of space due to the share they had prior to the boycott. They aren't paying for the space per se but promo discounts they offer are tied into adherence to the agreed planograms so yes there is money involved.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
VaultingChemist
AG
texagbeliever said:

VaultingChemist said:

FTAG 2000 said:

aggie93 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was at a UFC fight watching party Saturday.

Guy had some old Bud Light in his fridge from pre-Mulvaney days. No one would even touch it. He even offered to let whoever wanted it take the whole 24 pack and had no takers.
Would make for some fun target practice Kid Rock style, that's about it.
Range time with some shiny new silver and blue targets might have come up.
Would it be too dangerous to blow them up with tannerite?

I have an inflatable Budweiser kayak that I thought would be perfect to hold the beer and tannerite, and then explode it on a lake.

You plan on picking up the trash how exactly?
Blow it up in knee-deep water. Pick up anything left floating. Aluminum cans will dissolve in 20 years.
Faustus
It's just a post showing how serious he is about really not liking Bud Light anymore.

No one is going to have to, err fish refuse out of a lake here.
itsyourboypookie
ContinentalAg
Any recent anecdotes?
NASAg03
https://www.foxnews.com/media/anheuser-busch-sales-12-5-since-last-april-new-report-confirms

Quote:

In a report released by Beer Business Daily, the beer company, along with its brands, Bud Light and Budweiser, faced net losses for four weeks in April leading up to April 29. This followed initial reports that showed Bud Light in-store sales dropped 26% in the week of April 22.

"A-B volumes went down 12.5% while Molson Coors was up 7.6% and Constellation up 3.8%. Bud Light was down 21.4% while Coors Light was up 10.9% and Miller Lite up 12.8%," the website reported.

It continued, "Budweiser was down 11.5% while Yuengling was up 14.7% and Coors Banquet up 20.5% Even Miller Genuine Draft was up 3.7%. Busch down 5.3%, Natural down 6%, Keystone up 5.3%, and Pabst up 14.3%."

In addition, Anheuser-Busch dollars went down by approximately 6.1%.

Data from Connecticut-based Bump Williams Consulting also showed that total sales for Bud Light fell by 8% for the year so far, costing the company approximately $5 billion in losses.
Those numbers are pretty brutal.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
CDUB98
AG
A 6% revenue drop is VERY significant.

Where are all our "everything is fine" progressives to rave about the stock price?
techno-ag
AG
CDUB98 said:

A 6% revenue drop is VERY significant.

Where are all our "everything is fine" progressives to rave about the stock price?
It's just one brand out of many for a global beer belly conglomerate.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Gigem78130
I'm reasonably certain the cooler layouts you are looking at today were based on store scan data pulled prior to the Mulvaney incident.

So AB will likely retain their pre-Mulvaney space thru October unless a buyer wants to shrink their space in an off-cycle revision which is very rare.

The Fall reset cycle will tell the tale.
Gigem78130
From my experience, if you see a product that is discounted more than 25%, check the pull date on the package before buying a bunch of it, especially if you plan to store it in a warm/hot garage.
ProgN
Gaius Julius Bevo
Clay Travis ran an experiment to see if you could give away Bud Light. Nope, you can't. People don't want it even free.

ProgN
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12068311/Bud-Light-sales-plunged-region-dropping-29-heartlands.html
Quote:

New figures reveal that Bud Light sales have plummeted in every US region in the wake of their disastrous partnership with Dylan Mulvaney.

America's flagship beer brand has been sent into a steep decline after they used the controversial trans influencer, 26, to promote the beverage.

Data from Beer Business Daily showed that the US's number one brand has fallen in every region of the country.
Quote:

It comes as analysts at HSBC have downgraded Anheuser-Busch's stock because they are in the midst of a 'crisis' over the marketing blunder.

Carlos Laboy, a managing director at HSBC's global beverage sector, downgraded the stock of Anheuser-Busch InBev to a hold status.
It means that investors should not buy or sell shares of the company.

He said that the backlash is a sign that there are 'deeper problems than ABI admits', questioning if they were 'hiring the best people to grow the brands and gauge risk.'

In a note seen by CNBC Laboy said: 'If Budweiser and Bud Light are iconic American ideas that have long brought consumers together, why did these marketers fail to invite new consumers without alienating the core base of the firm's largest brand?'
Yup, the longer BL, Bud and MU are rejected and AB is punished the better. I hope it intensifies.
Gigem78130
Some stores/chains run their ice down programs better than others.
Some are drained/cleaned/sanitzed and product rotated on a regular basis.
Others not so much.
Since you're really not supposed to drink while driving, buy a single from the cooler door, and throw it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. It'll be just as cold, and you won't have to wipe off the can's drinking surfaces.
Gigem78130
I'm sure salaries are down a smidge.
bonfarr
AG
Gigem78130 said:

Discounts are regulated by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. They really frown on "special deals" by distributors. Now, a distributor can offer "firesale discounts" on close dated product, but firesales can't be offered exclusively to 1 chain, or 1 store legally. That's not to say it hasn't happened before. And, if you see a product that is discounted more than 25%, check the pull date on the package before buying a bunch of it, especially if it's stored in a hot garage.

I don't know what you mean by firesale or special discounts, I was referring to the typical promo discounts the distributors present by calendar which shape the retailer promo calendar. From what I have seen we are presented with a distributor promo calendar where they offer X amount off per case during a specific time frame , typically rotating items every few months. We review that discount calendar and set our promo calendar and sell the item at a sale price to the consumer during that period. The distributor gives a cost break and we eat some of the margin and offer a sale price to drive volume. When I have had stores lose planogram integrity costing a distributor shelf space I have had vendors threaten to withhold discounts but in all the years I have been in the business I have never seen one actually do that.
bonfarr
AG
Gigem78130 said:

Others not so much.
Since you're really not supposed to drink while driving, buy a single from the cooler door, and throw it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. It'll be just as cold, and you won't have to wipe off the can's drinking surfaces.

Lol we stopped putting in the ice downs and switched to refrigerated single beer bins quite a while ago due to sanitation.

Those things rarely get emptied and cleaned out and people put their dirty hands in there all day long. I have seen some nastiness in the bottom of an icedown when they finally get emptied and the lip of the can people drink out of are floating in that mess.
Hungry Ojos
bonfarr said:

Gigem78130 said:

Others not so much.

Lol we stopped putting in the ice downs and switched to refrigerated single beer bins quite a while ago due to sanitation.

Those things rarely get emptied and cleaned out and people put their dirty hands in there all day long. I have seen some nastiness in the bottom of an icedown when they finally get emptied and the lip of the can people drink out of are floating in that mess.
Well, my day just got ruined.

One of the simple joys in my life was a Friday afternoon tall boy in a brown paper bag on the way home from work, right out of one of those ice bins.

I'll never be able to do it again after reading your post.
Nagler
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

bonfarr said:

Gigem78130 said:

Others not so much.

One of the simple joys in my life was a Friday afternoon tall boy in a brown paper bag on the way home from work, right out of one of those ice bins.

Don't let that stop you.

It's like when you find a hair in your food. It's your's. Doesn't matter that you're bald and the hair is 2ft long. It's yours.

Wipe the mouth, maybe use your shirt, and keep rolling. Gotta build that immune system anyways.
bonfarr
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

bonfarr said:

Gigem78130 said:

Others not so much.

You won't believe how much beer is sold out of those bins in Texas, when we started buying the refrigerated ones we worried customers would stop buying the singles so at first we poured a ton of fake plastic ice cubes on top of the beer to give the impression it was still iced down. The refrigerated ones are great though, they are designed to get the beer as close to freezing as possible without actually freezing up and they are much more sanitary.

When I was assigned to stores in Wisconsin and Minnesota I couldn't believe they had neither iced or refrigerated beer bins, they weren't allowed. The Bud guy I had in Houston for years would joke about them driving past ditches counting the empty Busch and Bud Light cans to check their market share.
Gigem78130
In Texas, discounts cannot be tied to cold and/or display space, nor can a retailer be declined a "posted" discount noted on distributor promo letters because of "lack of participation" or "pass thru" of previous/current/future discounts. Believe me, distributors want the discount passed along to consumers, but they can't force it in Texas.

Now outside of Texas, I can't help you much, but good questions Bonfar.

Response to:
"They aren't paying for the space per se but promo discounts they offer are tied into adherence to the agreed planograms so yes there is money involved."
The Banned
ProgN said:

carl spacklers hat
ProgN said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12068311/Bud-Light-sales-plunged-region-dropping-29-heartlands.html
Quote:

New figures reveal that Bud Light sales have plummeted in every US region in the wake of their disastrous partnership with Dylan Mulvaney.

America's flagship beer brand has been sent into a steep decline after they used the controversial trans influencer, 26, to promote the beverage.

Data from Beer Business Daily showed that the US's number one brand has fallen in every region of the country.
Quote:

It comes as analysts at HSBC have downgraded Anheuser-Busch's stock because they are in the midst of a 'crisis' over the marketing blunder.

Carlos Laboy, a managing director at HSBC's global beverage sector, downgraded the stock of Anheuser-Busch InBev to a hold status.
It means that investors should not buy or sell shares of the company.

He said that the backlash is a sign that there are 'deeper problems than ABI admits', questioning if they were 'hiring the best people to grow the brands and gauge risk.'

In a note seen by CNBC Laboy said: 'If Budweiser and Bud Light are iconic American ideas that have long brought consumers together, why did these marketers fail to invite new consumers without alienating the core base of the firm's largest brand?'
Yup, the longer BL, Bud and MU are rejected and AB is punished the better. I hope it intensifies.
This is the way we get politics out of business. The power of choice is only powerful if the consumer exercises it, and former BL drinkers are kicking InBev in the junk, choosing alternatives that don't promote degenerates and then double down by insulting the core consumer.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
bonfarr
AG
I think it's going to be a bloodbath at AB US with anyone associated with the acts that allowed this fiasco to happen getting the ax if there isn't a quick turnaround starting soon.

They need to bring Dave Bickler back with another Real Men of Genius campaign and just make fun of themselves and the whole ordeal. Make drinking BL about having fun again and keep the politics out and people may return to the brand.

carl spacklers hat
Yeah, that might work. Except they keep stepping on their own dicks. They are 6 weeks into this thing now and its only getting worse. It actually warms my heart to see the consumer having a real impact on a brand. 99% of the time the roles are reversed and its the consumer getting crapped on. I feel no sympathy for BL.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
TRIDENT
AG
Quote:

Just snag one of these on Friday.
TacosaurusRex
Tonight is the CCA Banquet in Austin and I am interested to see who the beverage provider will be and how that goes.
Pookers
AG
bonfarr said:

I think it's going to be a bloodbath at AB US with anyone associated with the acts that allowed this fiasco to happen getting the ax if there isn't a quick turnaround starting soon.

They need to bring Dave Bickler back with another Real Men of Genius campaign and just make fun of themselves and the whole ordeal. Make drinking BL about having fun again and keep the politics out and people may return to the brand.

I think the brand should just die and be allowed to rot in the public square so other companies wise up.
Gigem314
AG
ProgN said:

ProgN
Pookers said:

bonfarr said:

I think the brand should just die and be allowed to rot in the public square so other companies wise up.
CDUB98
AG
All opinion incoming.

Bud Light is too big to die.

Any of y'all thinking they should completely rebrand or let it die are simply incorrect.

Looking at all the sales metrics were seeing, at most it is a 26% drop, that is still a lot of beer being sold...somewhere. AB has spent decades marketing this product and making it what it is.

While they may never see the peak sales numbers they once did, this is still a product people are drinking....again somewhere, and they can still make margin on it, just with less gross sales.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 108

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.