if you're a white male, don't bother applying to Ivy leagues

11,964 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by chlavinka
Nanomachines son
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Conversely, if you're a black woman and basically just graduate high school then you'll get into all of them just by signing your name on an application.
Pookers
AG
White males should get good at building / fixing ***** We will be responsible for rebuilding after clown world collapses.
Old McDonald
alternatively, just lie and say you're 25% latino or something. my mexican ass went to an admitted latino students weekend at duke way back when and 80% of the other attendees looked like they could have been the children of mike pence and laura ingraham
Nanomachines son
Old McDonald said:

alternatively, just lie and say you're 25% latino or something. my mexican ass went to an admitted latino students weekend at duke way back when and 80% of the other attendees looked like they could have been the children of mike pence and laura ingraham

If you have even remotely a Hispanic last name, I would recommend doing this for everyone. My sons family has a Swedish last name and myself and my sons look Nordic, ain't no way in hell that would work.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's not about equality, it's about making retribution a virtue. Vengeance based on race, even though nobody involved in the past offenses is involved anymore.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Pookers said:

White males should get good at building / fixing ***** We will be responsible for rebuilding after clown world collapses.

and then be blamed all over again.
BadMoonRisin
AG
And yet there still persists this narrative that minorities are somehow discriminated against in hiring practices and education when all of the empirical evidence is completely counter to that.

As a SWM, having to hear about companies DEI initiatives is really frustrating. They're basically saying "we prioritize people other than you because of their skin color and sexual preferences" and rub it in pretty much every employees face.

Um ok...what might one call that? Discrimination?

Oh no...it's DIVERSITY EQUITY AND INCLUSION.

I still see that bull**** copypasta meme on linkedin about "I submitted X amount of applications with a white sounding name and X amount of applications with a black sounding name and the white sounding name got more interviews!!!" Sure. that might have been true a decade ago.

Every single application asks you to identify your race, and your gender, and if you are hispanic or not, if youre a veteran or if you are disabled... so what good would using a "black name" versus a "white name" matter anyway, they can just see what you self-report as.

And with as many companies pumping each others asses over DEI, there's no way there is discrimination towards minorities anymore. It's clearly reversed trend.
TommyBrady
AG
What do you mean it wouldn't work? They won't risk a lawsuit by asking you how black or latino you are. I put Native American down for everything theres no way of proving it other than a DNA test. Work the system for all its worth
Tumble Weed
Old McDonald said:

I thought about this in the 90s. I can pass for a Turk.
evestor1
BadMoonRisin said:

As a SWM, having to hear about companies DEI initiatives is really frustrating. They're basically saying "we prioritize people other than you because of their skin color and sexual preferences" and rub it in pretty much every employees face.
what is an SWM?
akm91
AG
5.1 GPA?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
aezmvp
My kids have the most gringo names but are 50%(+? my family has been in Texas since before the Revolution) Mexican. Gonna be a fight.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Straight white male
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
PA24
AG
White males are being groomed to be beta males. Kinda sad thing to watch.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
My kids are 1/8 Jewish maybe that will count. My mother-in-law likes to pretend that isn't true though.
Foamcows
AG
not sure they realize that when you have two equal people, and give everything to one, and make the other work for the equivalent.... the one who works for things will be more able to deal with adversity later in life.
Owlagdad
Those folks will eventually turn on those schools. Not giving them enough.
Nanomachines son

We're going to see many technical fields destroyed because of this.
MouthBQ98
AG
That may be the only way to kill DEI for sure: give them garbage information and date them to call you out on it, such that EVERY candidate is a "protected minority".

Claim non-binary sexuality or any tiny bit of ethnicity, and I mean EVERYONE. Flood the system with garbage information.
normalhorn
Ol_Ag_02 said:

My kids are 1/8 Jewish maybe that will count. My mother-in-law likes to pretend that isn't true though.

Democrats know they've got the Jewish vote locked up for eternity. So, sorry, DEI doesn't give a rat fart about your Hebrew heritage
Win At Life
AG
I was told back in 1985 by Texas A&M's Co-op director that with my GPA, he could send me to all their top companies (eg Motorola; big at yhe time) if I was a female or a minority, but because I was a white male, my options would be very limited, so this thing has been going on for a long time.

I was kind of shocked at how "matter of fact" he said it, but there were no witnesses, so I suppose he felt he could be more candid. Also, the limitation wasn't caused by him or the university, but by what the corporations would likely accept. So, yeah, long time. The lack of women and minorities in STEM fields is absolutely NOT due to systematic racism against them. Quite the opposite.
Urban Ag
AG
Quote:

if you're a white male, don't bother applying to Ivy leagues

Pookers
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Pookers said:

Homogenous states emerge from heterogenous empires. People who would be placing blame would not be permitted into said new states. There will be a handful of new nations raising after the collapse of the US empire.
The Fife
TommyBrady said:

What do you mean it wouldn't work? They won't risk a lawsuit by asking you how black or latino you are. I put Native American down for everything theres no way of proving it other than a DNA test. Work the system for all its worth
My DNA test revealed a smattering of all kinds of low percentage African, The Levant, and Persian. You'd never guess it from looking at me but who cares, gimme dat!
geoag58
AG
The transition from what you know to who you know is almost complete.

They need to offer classes in brown nosing as that will be the only way to get ahead in this new order.
fka ftc
Nanomachines son said:

We're going to see many technical fields destroyed because of this.
Good. Drive those white males into the trades. We need them there, they can make fantastic money there, and its honest, well respected work.

Strongly considering utilizing my impending retirement to incubate construction trade startups. Zero interest in helping the next soft sweaty hand entitled soy boy develop a new app.
fka ftc
The Fife said:

TommyBrady said:

My DNA test revealed a smattering of all kinds of low percentage African, The Levant, and Persian. You'd never guess it from looking at me but who cares, gimme dat!
When our son was born, I absolutely thought about completing the form with "father unknown" then sending a note later to the records office saying that the father had been confirmed and that our son was a black first persons descendant.

Wish I would have followed through.
Maroon Dawn
AG
I would just tell him to forget the IVYs go somewhere like MIT or GT that still care about skill and learn to do something useful for society
The Debt
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Pookers said:

You assume the 2nd age will include the sons and daughters of agitprop
Nanomachines son

Exactly.
aggie93
AG
This thread is a hot button for me. Seeing my sons go through it as one is in college and the other will be soon. My youngest in particular would be upset watching that video as it sounds like the future for him.

As for me I'm in Technical Recruiting and have a highly successful record and 25 years of experience and was laid off recently. The company I worked for is overwhelmingly Engineers and overwhelmingly male except for one area, HR. Among the recruiters they kept hiring females and a young gay guy that wears pride shirts to work. I knew my days were numbered. The thing I just kept shaking my head at was in meetings they would all complain about how they had issues with the hiring managers (for some reason 20 and 30 something women with liberal arts degrees don't relate well with 40 and 50 year old engineers) and I got along great with them, especially the ones they had the most trouble with that were "mean". I actually could have in depth conversations with them about their technology and what they needed and knew when to push back and how, I also could relate with them.

I knew I would be the first to go as things tightened up though because I didn't fit with the rest of the group. I did everything I could to be friendly and professional but I still stuck out. They seemed especially annoyed with me as they would talk about their divorces and failed relationships and I would sometimes mention how I had been married for almost 28 years with 2 amazing boys. So when I got my notice I wasn't surprised similar thing happened to me many years ago.

It amazes me how many recruiting jobs I apply for now and the managers are ether female or minority or both and have DEI stuff all over their profiles. I actually have a great record of hiring minorities and women but it is because I focus on finding a great candidate and then pushing them to hiring managers instead of pressing hiring managers to hire based on "targets". I have always had very strong response rates and have a strong network but there just aren't many jobs out there and so many of them are DEI focused and a middle aged white dude isn't what they want even if they don't implicitly say it. I refuse to play the game and put pronouns in my bio and make up some diversity language in my resume even though I probably could as I understand how to be successful at it more than the "experts". It amazes me how every time they push one of these DEI initiatives and try to force it the turnover rates are 2 or 3x other employees and they can't understand why or they don't care because they already hit their number.

Been doing this long enough though to know that competence counts and eventually someone wants an "old school" recruiter that knows how to find technical talent. I am thinking of going back to being my own agency again so I don't have to worry about it anymore but I really prefer sinking my teeth into a company and helping them grow. God has a plan and it'll be fine and I've found that all of the most challenging and difficult times in my life and career had a greater purpose to put me on a better path even when I had no way of seeing it at the time.

As a positive/negative it is giving me more time to waste on Texags until I get my next gig.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Tex100
AG
Surprised he didn't get into Rice but those Ivy Leagues and Stanford probably have plenty of people with perfect ACT scores and not just almost perfect.
Tex100
AG
But it is bull***** 30 years ago one of my first year law school profs asked what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to practice but really enjoyed teaching as a graduate student. He said as a white make I had no shot to be a law school prof.
kag00
AG
I wonder if putting gay/bi in the application would help? They can't really prove that one way or another. Toss in gender fluid for hood measure and you should hit a few boxes without have to really do anything except use their terms and definitions.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.