Win for West Texas A&M

18,324 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by CanyonAg77
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

His thesis is that it's demeaning to women and portrays women in a negative light. That's why he mentions blackface and says drag denigrates women. He doesn't make the argument that its too lewd or sexual in nature.

It's demeaning to women because it is lewd and overly sexual. That's exactly what he is saying, and your personal bias is blinding you to that fact.
You are reading things into his statement that simply aren't there. You might believe drag is lewd and the prexy might think it's lewd. But that isn't why he shut it down.

He isn't making the case that drag is lewd. That has a pretty specific legal definition and if that was his argument, he'd be well within his rights to disallow it because university policy and the law has provisions to disallow illegal acts.
nai06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

cost the school a $100K planned donation

Link?
Here you go.

A former student removed his estate planning donation of 100K and directed it to another university.

Link to article

Ellis Wyatt
Drahknor03 said:

In today's edition of "The Libertarians Aren't Actually Friends."
Interesting take there Alex. Using that logic, universities would have to allow klan rallies on campus.
StockHorseAg
AG

Hell, That 100k was going to the music program anyways. It was just going to go fund more libs to get a useless degree. It will not be missed.
Ellis Wyatt
TommyBrady said:

Also anybody that thinks John Sharp is a woke follower doesn't know John
John Sharp has been at the helm as all of this stuff has swamped A&M. It didn't happen by accident.
CanyonAg77
AG
You are failing to read what's there
nai06
AG
StockHorseAg said:

Hell, That 100k was going to the music program anyways. It was just going to go fund more libs to get a useless degree. It will not be missed.
yeah you're right. A smaller regional school probably doesn't care about losing 100K.
CanyonAg77
AG
nai06 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

cost the school a $100K planned donation

Link?
Here you go.

A former student removed his estate planning donation of 100K and directed it to another universityLink to article

You really think a high school choir teacher/preacher has $100,000 to give away?

And unless he releases his current and previous will, I'm quite skeptical
nai06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You are failing to read what's there
it's too funny that you are incapable of reading his statement.

He repeatedly makes the point that he believes drag makes fun of women. That's also why he name drops the EEOC towards the end of the letter. He is attempting to make the case that drag is harmful because it pokes fun at women. Not because it is sexually explicit or lewd in nature.

But hey just for fun, go ahead and point out where he makes the case that drag displays any of the following.

(1) act of sexual intercourse;
(2) act of deviate sexual intercourse; or
(3) act of sexual contact.

He doesn't have to like it, but he does have to allow it based on campus policy and the law.
StockHorseAg
AG
The Music department might be disappointed they aren't getting it but if they let in two Asian kids from China who pay full price for college ought to make up for it.

Plus they can't get to liberal because they'll get jailed if they take those beliefs back to China. So honestly, It is a win win.

CanyonAg77
AG
Again, your bias affects your reading comprehension
nai06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Again, your bias affects your reading comprehension
Still waiting for you to point out his argument that drag is lewd.
slaughtr
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

YouBet said:

Unfortunately, it's easy to have a backbone in Canyon. He does that at a large, urban, Ivy, or almost any school not in Canyon or that isn't Hillsdale and the Regents oust him the next day.
He pretty much disqualified himself for 95% of the university jobs by admitting he's a Christian.

Where in his statement is there anything about his religion? I'm an atheist and I agree with him.
barbacoa taco
AG
slaughtr said:

Jack Squat 83 said:

YouBet said:

Unfortunately, it's easy to have a backbone in Canyon. He does that at a large, urban, Ivy, or almost any school not in Canyon or that isn't Hillsdale and the Regents oust him the next day.
He pretty much disqualified himself for 95% of the university jobs by admitting he's a Christian.

Where in his statement is there anything about his religion? I'm an atheist and I agree with him.
Did none of you read the letter or something? There are multiple references to his religious faith.
CanyonAg77
AG
barbacoa taco said:

slaughtr said:

Jack Squat 83 said:

YouBet said:

Did none of you read the letter or something? There are multiple references to his religious faith.

But only in reference to the dignity of women and the need to treat others well

He did not mention his faith in relation to gay stuff, only in that he thought drag was in opposition to the call of all major religions to treat others as you would yourself
highlonesomeaggie
AG
TommyBrady said:

Whats he want to do?
Hadn't checked in a little while. Ultimately he is thinking along the lines of agronomy/entomology. He really likes bugs. Though the Ag Systems Management program at A&M has caught his eye.
sanangelo
AG
A university that is part of the TAMU System pushes back against drag queen shows. It looks like he's surviving. We had to ask. Will Angelo State's president do the same? We aren't holding our breath.

San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
fburgtx
Do we get to have charity gun shows on campus, now?? How about a "Larry Flynt Free Speech Tribute", with a display of Hustler centerfolds of the 70's/80's?? Maybe the campus S&M/Bondage Club can have an event??
fburgtx
barbacoa taco said:

I do understand the idea of a hostile workplace.

The big problem here is an optional fundraiser put on by a student organization isn't a workplace. Unless someone can show me that WTAMU employees are being forced to go to the event, which is not the case. Any suit for a hostile workplace would be laughed out of court.

Somebody's gotta provide security. Somebody has to provide janitorial services. Who does the lighting at the school owned facility? I'll take a WAG, and say "WTAMU employees"…
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
https://conservativechange.org/petition/stand-with-dr-wendler-and-wtamu-to-ban-drag-shows-on-campus/

Quote:

In a recent statement on behalf of West Texas A&M University, President Dr. Walter Wendler made the decision to not allow a drag show to take place on the WTAMU campus.

Because of Dr. Wendler's statement, supporters of this degenerate event are outraged and seek to overturn the university's decision to stand for what is right.

Please sign our petition to encourage Dr. Wendler and WTAMU to not be swayed by the angry voices of those who are opposed to the truth about drag shows
. We are not alone in our fight for true freedom and we must support those who are seeking to defend it.

Please also take time to pray and contact the university in support of this issue.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Also please email chancellor@tamus.edu

I believe Wendler has Sharp's support, but both Chancellor Sharp and the Regents need to see it, because they will definitely hear from the other side.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
jrdaustin said:

Yup. Get that man to College Station.

Not so fast!
96LawAg
AG
The lawsuit:

https://www.thefire.org/research-learn/verified-complaint-civil-rights-violations-and-exhibits-spectrum-wt-et-al-v-wendler
TXAggie2011
AG
Wait, he even wrote "even when the law of the land appears to require it" in his letter?
agracer
AG
StockHorseAg said:

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/wtamu-president-provides-reasoning-on-canceling-on-campus-drag-show-in-letter-to-students-staff-faculty/

This is a nice and refreshing letter to get from a University President.
can someone post a link to the letter, that website is terrible.
agracer
AG
96LawAg said:

He's going to cost the school money they don't have defending a lawsuit they're going to lose. Clear viewpoint discrimination violating the first amendment.

It's sad to see so many "conservatives" in here cheering on suppression of free speech just because they are against the content of the speech. Too much of this from both sides.

Allow the speech. Protest it. Start a debate. Don't suppress it.
96LawAg ok with Nazi demonstrations, kkk student orgs and and blackface 'artistic' displays.

spreadsheet updated.
96LawAg
AG
agracer said:

96LawAg said:

He's going to cost the school money they don't have defending a lawsuit they're going to lose. Clear viewpoint discrimination violating the first amendment.

It's sad to see so many "conservatives" in here cheering on suppression of free speech just because they are against the content of the speech. Too much of this from both sides.

96LawAg ok with Nazi demonstrations, kkk student orgs and and blackface 'artistic' displays.

spreadsheet updated.

Agracer ok with violating the constitution to keep other adults from viewing something he personally disagrees with.

Spreadsheet updated.
96LawAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Wait, he even wrote "even when the law of the land appears to require it" in his letter?

Yes, incredibly he actually wrote that down.
agracer
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I do remember my wife crying uncontrollably after watching Ms. Doubtfire. She was so hurt

Drag Queens

One was a guy trying to connect with his kids and doing whatever it took to save that relationship after a divorce.

The other is a sexual fetish

So exactly the same
96LawAg
AG
agracer said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I do remember my wife crying uncontrollably after watching Ms. Doubtfire. She was so hurt

Drag Queens

One was a guy trying to connect with his kids and doing whatever it took to save that relationship after a divorce.

The other is a sexual fetish

So exactly the same

Why do you insist on controlling what other adults are allowed to view just because you personally disagree?
There have been plenty of movies over the years I thought were terrible. I don't try to control other adults going to see those movies. There are books I would never read, but I don't try to prevent other adults from reading those books just because of my views. I personally have no interest in going to see a drag show. But you know what I'll do? Not go see it. I won't try to force others to bend to my will.

I just don't get people who want so badly to control what other adults view as entertainment. In your eyes it's a free country, but only to the extent what people want to do comports with your personal belief system. If it doesn't, then you want the government to step in and parent all those terrible people who want to engage in things you disagree with. Weird.
TXAggie2011
AG
agracer said:

96LawAg said:

spreadsheet updated.
A key point of the First Amendment is that "we" (the powers that be) are to allow things that they (and others) are otherwise uncomfortable with, or even straight up personally oppose.

I'm not a scholar in the intricacies of the First Amendment but the President of WTAMU appears to believe what he did is unconstitutional but went ahead and did it anyways. I think that's pretty unfortunate.
96LawAg
AG
agracer said:

96LawAg said:

spreadsheet updated.

An easier way to say it is I support the first amendment. Whether it's a Christian University president trying to shut down a drag show or an atheist school president trying to **** down a Bible study.
I'm in favor of free speech. I'm in favor of the freedom to protest that speech. But I'm not in favor of the government censoring that speech simply because they don't like it.
Today it's the government censoring speech you don't like. I'm sure your position will do a 180 when it's speech you do like.
TJaggie14
AG
Lol.

I still find the hypocrisy from the left on this funny. They are fine with Daddy govt influencing/controlling speech when it aligns with their beliefs, but hate it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Couple pages ago they are saying it was fine for A&M admin to spend $300K to promote speech. Because they like that speech.

Now they want conservatives to come to their aid and help them fight big bad govt.
FlyRod
TXAggie2011 said:

agracer said:

96LawAg said:

spreadsheet updated.
A key point of the First Amendment is that "we" (the powers that be) are to allow things that they (and others) are otherwise uncomfortable with, or even straight up personally oppose.

I'm not a scholar in the intricacies of the First Amendment but the President of WTAMU appears to believe what he did is unconstitutional but went ahead and did it anyways. I think that's pretty unfortunate.

Precisely why he's being sued by folks who believe the Constitution matters. Whether folks in W Texas think drag is "icky" is 100% irrelevant, and correctly so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.