7.8 earthquake near Turkey....this looks bad

19,425 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CanyonAg77
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

I grew up in California, and even in a rich, industrialized country where earthquakes are common and planned for, like the U.S. West Coast or Japan, a 7.8 is big. Very big.

The Loma Prieta quake (the 1989 World Series earthquake, for those that remember) was a 6.9. The Northridge quake in 1994 was 6.7.

Since the Richter Scale is logarithmic (each whole number increase on the scale is 10x increase in magnitude), this quake is about 9x as powerful as Loma Prieta.

Even somewhere like California or Japan, with long established and well enforced building codes, the effects would be brutal. In a less wealthy country like Turkey, a big quake like that will be devastating.
Good points. Another big factor in earthquakes that doesn't get captured in the richter scale is how much the motion is side to side versus up and down. Buildings fair a lot better in side to side quakes. I think it was the haiti quake that was extremely high magnitude and up and down motion. Nothing stood a chance.

Also, if you're building is on waterlogged soil versus rock. water logged and water level soils will go through a separation process called liquifaction that can turn the once solid land into soup at the right frequencies.
LMCane
Gap said:

There was definitely an earthquake in Turkey, but because the news business killed itself off, we have few news bureaus or trusted sources and now just mostly Twitter links that we don't know if they are true or not.

I trust this one as real. I guess we will find out the full extent of damage overnight and the Twitter trolls will be outed.

I wonder if all the Roman cities in the south of Turkey are now destroyed after 2000 years such as Ephesus and Izmir

there has been a fault line in that area for a long time

AggiePops
Smeghead4761 said:

I grew up in California, and even in a rich, industrialized country where earthquakes are common and planned for, like the U.S. West Coast or Japan, a 7.8 is big. Very big.

The Loma Prieta quake (the 1989 World Series earthquake, for those that remember) was a 6.9. The Northridge quake in 1994 was 6.7.

Since the Richter Scale is logarithmic (each whole number increase on the scale is 10x increase in magnitude), this quake is about 9x as powerful as Loma Prieta.

Even somewhere like California or Japan, with long established and well enforced building codes, the effects would be brutal. In a less wealthy country like Turkey, a big quake like that will be devastating.
Alaska, 1964, was a 9.2. I worked with a guy who was a school kid up there during that.
LMCane
interesting in this one that all the buildings have collapsed- but the electric poles are all still standing and fine.

weird

Fitch
AG
Electrical poles are wood or steel and can more easily take the lateral movements than concrete walls and flats.

Looking at the videos from last night and this morning of dozens of concrete buildings collapsing like a house of cards or row of dominoes....there are going to be thousands dead.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Difference between candles on a cake and a house of cards on a cake.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Tens of thousands most likely
Eliminatus
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

It struck late at night so most people were inside and sleeping. Worst case scenario probably for an event like this. On the Syrian side it is going to be just as bad and maybe worse just due to the level of disorganization that was already prevalent. There are millions of displaced people in the affected zones that are also rebel held lands and already struggling to begin with.
Fitch
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Started typing that and didn't want to jump the gun, but I think you're correct...

Looking at these videos I get the same feeling as when the 2004 tsunami took out whole coastlines in Thailand, including places we had stayed just a few years prior. We were in Turkey in several years back and I can just imagine that feeling of being blindsided as a tourist by something impossible to foresee...let alone the chaos and humanitarian crisis for ordinary citizens right now.
TheCurl84
AG
2wealfth Man said:

TheCurl84 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

My goodness.
God be with them!

And yes, that first video is the condo collapse in Miami

What is wrong with people sending out fake videos ?
social media

I was in a hurry when I typed my question above. Didn't realize until later that it sounds like I'm asking why people would take issue with someone sending out fake videos.

Glad folks knew what I meant.
Sid Farkas
AG
A 7.8 in LA would result in hundreds of deaths.
LMCane
MuchosPollos said:

FbgTxAg said:

In before 40 Trillion in taxpayer money to Turkey.

We don't have to shoulder the burden that much but if there's ever a time we should be sending aid this is it.

These scenes are horrific.
of course we will never see the likely millions of dollars (turkish lira) that were spent in baksheesh to bribe the government building safety supervisors to

"look the other way at building code violations"
LMCane
Fitch said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Started typing that and didn't want to jump the gun, but I think you're correct...

Looking at these videos I get the same feeling as when the 2004 tsunami took out whole coastlines in Thailand, including places we had stayed just a few years prior. We were in Turkey in several years back and I can just imagine that feeling of being blindsided as a tourist by something impossible to foresee...let alone the chaos and humanitarian crisis for ordinary citizens right now.
from the Turks perspective and your point above-

they must be thankful the epicenter was in the southwest/south central less populated part of the country

far away from Istanbul.
MouthBQ98
AG
Lesser construction standards in poorer parts of the world will cause much greater damage and casualties as complete structures collapse. Not enough steel, not enough quality control in design and materials. At least not enough to help mitigate something like this.
UTExan
They're having people sleep out in the open right now to avoid further fatalities from collapse of buildings. But this is the wintertime there: snow plus rain=mud. May the Lord have mercy on them and the rescue teams.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Fitch
AG
LMCane said:

Fitch said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

from the Turks perspective and your point above-

they must be thankful the epicenter was in the southwest/south central less populated part of the country

far away from Istanbul.
All things equal you're probably right.

We went as far east at Cappadocia - a little more than halfway (to the east) between Ankara and the epicenter of the fault line. Actually looks like it's within one of the pink blobs in the earthquake map from the NYT.

Fitch
AG

LMCane
UTExan
Israeli Army Medical Corps is dispatching a field hospital plus search and rescue, about 150 personnel altogether: that's how bad it is because these two countries have had their issues. And they're probably the best help in the neighborhood for trauma care right now pending European and American help.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
LMCane
ABATTBQ11 said:

I would think it has to be this

entire sections of different towns have completely collapsed on everyone inside

I am sure Fairfax County Search and Rescue is heading over there right now

as horrific as the death toll of 9/11 was for us-

the Turks just probably had three of them in one day.
Dimebag Darrell
Geez how do you trust any remaining buildings within the general vicinity going fwd? Can't imagine how many homes and buildings are structurally unsound at this point. Earthquakes are the scariest and most "apocalyptic" feeling natural disaster imo.
Ag87H2O
AG
Yeah, that guy filming from the roof of that high rise is out of his mind. Praying for all involved.
LMCane
looks like this big one was centered on the "East Anatolian Fault line"

Engine10
AG
Man I pray for y'all that jump straight to comments about profile pictures and mocking potential aid.

I get we're all a little more cynical these days and don't agree on much, but likely 1000s of people are dead here.
Nanomachines son
Sid Farkas said:

A 7.8 in LA would result in hundreds of deaths.

And this was a 7.8 followed by a 6.7 and then a 7.5.

The casualty list is going to be huge.
MallalieuAg
AG
So do the liberals and democrats blame fracking by oil companies?
hgc159
Ag87H2O said:

Yeah, that guy filming from the roof of that high rise is out of his mind. Praying for all involved.
Pop quiz:

A massive earthquake hits. The ground and building you're in begin to shake violently. What do you do?

A) Seek safety
B) Pick up your phone and start recording

Correct answer:
If you were born prior to 2000, it's A.
After 2000, it's B.

Social media is going to be a major factor in the end of life as we know it.
aezmvp
Brittmoore Car Club said:

Geez how do you trust any remaining buildings within the general vicinity going fwd? Can't imagine how many homes and buildings are structurally unsound at this point. Earthquakes are the scariest and most "apocalyptic" feeling natural disaster imo.
Then you haven't lived near a real volcano. Earthquakes are scary but literal mountain blowing up raining flaming meteors, clouds of ash and gas hot enough to burn you alive and rivers of molten rock... woof.
Dimebag Darrell
aezmvp said:

Then you haven't lived near a real volcano. Earthquakes are scary but literal mountain blowing up raining flaming meteors, clouds of ash and gas hot enough to burn you alive and rivers of molten rock... woof.
True, I guess in modern times we just see more cases of Earthquakes seriously jacking up major cities. Footage of molten lava flowing and raining down upon a city causing massive devastation would be absolutely horrific.
Dimebag Darrell
MallalieuAg said:

So do the liberals and democrats blame fracking by oil companies?
No but definitely climate change and people driving Trucks and SUV's. This is squarely on their hands.
turkishAg
AG
Appreciate all the thoughts by the folks in this thread. This is particularly devastating and while it is far away from Istanbul and Ankara the cities impacted by this are still large. Gaziantep is the 6th largest city, Maltya, Urfa, and Kahramanmaras are all in the top 20 most populous.

My grandmother passed away on Friday and I quickly had to buy my parents tickets to go be with family and bury her. They're a six hour drive away and folks there are sleeping in cars because of how violently their houses shook. It's also very cold and snowy in most of Turkey right now and this is presenting its own challenges.

It's been encouraging seeing the number of countries sending aid - be it diplomatic or volunteer.
LMCane

aezmvp said:

True, I guess in modern times we just see more cases of Earthquakes seriously jacking up major cities. Footage of molten lava flowing and raining down upon a city causing massive devastation would be absolutely horrific.
there is a documentary on either Netflix or Amazon Prime about a volcano exploding off New Zealand when a tourist group was on the island

I think 27 were killed. or 40 killed.
LMCane
turkishAg said:

Appreciate all the thoughts by the folks in this thread. This is particularly devastating and while it is far away from Istanbul and Ankara the cities impacted by this are still large. Gaziantep is the 6th largest city, Maltya, Urfa, and Kahramanmaras are all in the top 20 most populous.

My grandmother passed away on Friday and I quickly had to buy my parents tickets to go be with family and bury her. They're a six hour drive away and folks there are sleeping in cars because of how violently their houses shook. It's also very cold and snowy in most of Turkey right now and this is presenting its own challenges.

It's been encouraging seeing the number of countries sending aid - be it diplomatic or volunteer.
that is one of the additional awful aspects, instead of the summer that it is deep winter and there is a super storm "barbara" which has been entering the eastern Meditteranean since last night dumping snow and freezing rain

the suffering is going to be beyond belief.

even though when I was twice in Turkey the Turkish men were @#$#@

I still hope as many citizens can be saved as possible.
Dimebag Darrell
LMCane said:

turkishAg said:

that is one of the additional awful aspects, instead of the summer that it is deep winter and there is a super storm "barbara" which has been entering the eastern Meditteranean since last night dumping snow and freezing rain

the suffering is going to be beyond belief.

even though when I was twice in Turkey the Turkish men were @#$#@

I still hope as many citizens can be saved as possible.
This. My mom got harassed by a man in a Turkish restaurant years ago for wearing sleeves that were "too short" (my mom dresses about as conservatively as anyone I know)...but I still hope he and his family are ok.
aezmvp
Netflix. Good documentary. Good reminder that some of those parts of mother nature are amazing but dangerous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.