7.8 earthquake near Turkey....this looks bad

19,422 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CanyonAg77
aezmvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fasthorse05 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

AggiePops said:

Smeghead4761 said:

I grew up in California, and even in a rich, industrialized country where earthquakes are common and planned for, like the U.S. West Coast or Japan, a 7.8 is big. Very big.

The Loma Prieta quake (the 1989 World Series earthquake, for those that remember) was a 6.9. The Northridge quake in 1994 was 6.7.

Since the Richter Scale is logarithmic (each whole number increase on the scale is 10x increase in magnitude), this quake is about 9x as powerful as Loma Prieta.

Even somewhere like California or Japan, with long established and well enforced building codes, the effects would be brutal. In a less wealthy country like Turkey, a big quake like that will be devastating.
Alaska, 1964, was a 9.2. I worked with a guy who was a school kid up there during that.
I think that's the biggest on record in the U.S. That one was actually offshore, IIRC, but the tsunami was brutal.

Luckily, Alaska wasn't very densely populated. My last tour at Ft Lewis, WA, I participated in a tabletop exercise centered on a major quake (8-9.0) on the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which runs offshore from about Eureka, CA, to Vancouver Island. Quite a bit of development in the tsunami zone there, although luckily Seattle/Tacoma and Portland are sheltered a good bit.

The truly scary part is that the historical period between major quakes on the CSZ is 200-500 years.

It's been 323 years since the last one, confirmed by tsunami records in Japan.

If memory serves, the CSZ was the focus of the pilot episode of the series "Megadisasters."
Not many folks know about the Cascadia subduction zone. When that thing goes, no one in the entire state of Washington or Oregon will be interested in the color or gender of their fellow citizens. The quake would be bad enough, but the tsunami would finish off Seattle for a couple of years.
Yeah then let's try a quake swarm similar to this up and down the New Madrid fault line. It'd be incredibly devastating as well. Last time was December to February of 1811-1812 and was approximately 4 quakes of 7.0-7.5 (estimated) and 7 different 6.0 or greater (estimated) during that 2 month period. Those went from NW Arkansas through Missouri and Tennessee and if you look at the estimated damage maps you'd be talking about severe or extremely heavy damage in Memphis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville and maybe Nashville. CSZ, Alaska and New Madrid are the nightmare areas.
YouBet
AG
WSJ: death toll up to 7,500.

The US Geological Survey is estimating it will be around 11,000.

The WHO estimates it will be 20,000+.

Thoughts and prayers to those people. Can't imagine.
Rocky Rider
AG
YouBet said:

Oh good, a trustworthy source of data.
...the Big 12 is now viewed as the fifth of the big BCS leagues by many recruits. (Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell; August 2013)

Already the weakest of the “Power Five” conferences, the league (Big 12) is hemorrhaging fans, wins, TV ratings and respect. (SA Express R. Bragg; Oct 12, 2016)
YouBet
AG
Rocky Rider said:

YouBet said:

Oh good, a trustworthy source of data.
Yes, I hesitated even posting it.
turkishAg
AG
Aggie95 said:

the videos and thoughts of massive earthquakes in poorly developed countries is just overwhelming to me...

the magnitude of human loss and suffering
where do you even start with SAR?
how do you remove and dispose of all that ruble?
even if money was available to help...do you send it to that region, knowing it would/could get into the wrong hands.
earthquakes ,probably more than any other natural disaster, get "the end of the world is near" vibes

If you are genuinely interested in helping please DM me. My father is working with several volunteers and getting help packages out to the effected area. Blankets, tents, coats, etc.
Not a Bot
AG
People in Anchorage still talk about 1964. Can't even imagine going through a 9.2 for almost five minutes.
Dimebag Darrell
Some feel good videos, since all we have seen is destruction and misery. These are amazing. Datgum cedar allergies...

https://instagr.am/p/CoZcJOUP56f
Engine10
AG
Awesome, needed this today. Thanks for sharing
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

But it would have been higher if they had not been vaccinated.
Rapier108
YouBet said:

Looks like both estimates missed it. Last report had it approaching 24,000.

Maybe the WHO should stick to predicting deaths from non-disease natural disasters. They suck when it comes to actual diseases.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
aggiehawg
AG
Can you expand on what a "fissure" means? A chasm? TIA.
Rapier108
aggiehawg said:

Basically a crack opened up along the almost 200 mile long part of the fault which ruptured during the quake.
Rockdoc
AG
In earthquakes the ground tends to move as blocks instead of everything going the same direction. The result are relief cracks the split the near surface in long linear cracks, sometimes hundreds of miles long.
aggiehawg
AG
Rapier108 said:

aggiehawg said:

Basically a crack opened up along the almost 200 mile long part of the fault which ruptured during the quake.
How deep and going forward, what does that mean?
aggiehawg
AG
Rockdoc said:

In earthquakes the ground tends to move as blocks instead of everything going the same direction. The result are relief cracks the split the near surface in long linear cracks, sometimes hundreds of miles long.
Understand tectonic plates and pressure relief venting.

What I don't get is how places that have stood for thousands of years crumbled.
chickencoupe16
AG
aggiehawg said:

Rockdoc said:

Understand tectonic plates and pressure relief venting.

What I don't get is how places that have stood for thousands of years crumbled.

Atlas shrugged really hard this time.
Rockdoc
AG
In some areas, once the tectonic pressure is relieved, it may not move for thousands of years. Somewhere like the San Andreas fault area on the west coast, the movement is ongoing and things move on a more regular basis (geologically speaking)
Rapier108
aggiehawg said:

Rapier108 said:

aggiehawg said:

How deep and going forward, what does that mean?
I'm going to default to Rockdoc on this question. He'll be able to answer far better than I could even attempt.
aggiehawg
AG
Rockdoc said:

In some areas, once the tectonic pressure is relieved, it may not move for thousands of years. Somewhere like the San Andreas fault area on the west coast, the movement is ongoing and things move on a more regular basis (geologically speaking)
Okay, the pressure like a pressure cooker, gets leaked off in a sustained manner. Keeps the big one from happening.

Thank you.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Did older folks not learn this stuff in Geology 101?
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
fullback44
AG
Some real major disasters the last 15 years or so dealing with major earthquakes… they are more than man kind can handle and prepare for, you can engineer for them all you want, their is no guarantee these engineered buildings will survive a giant quake like the ones we have witnessed around the world .. I guess live in areas away from fault lines and live in single stores houses !
Nanomachines son
Hearing reports that the death toll may climb as high as 200,000. Apparently are at least 150,000 are still missing and given that there were close to 10,000 collapsed buildings, it would not surprise me.

Will end up being as bad as the 2004 Indonesian tsunami.
VaultingChemist
AG

Post removed:
by user
H2Ag
AG
That looks like a lot of movement to my untrained eye! Any experts got anything to contribute?
VaultingChemist
AG
atmtws
AG
New 6.4 earthquake strikes Turkey as death toll climbs to nearly 47,000
Ag87H2O
AG
I can't figure out why the national media has largely ignored this massive disaster. During the Indonesian tsunami and ***ushima disasters it was wall to wall coverage for a couple of days. On the Sunday night when this thread was started I immediately started looking on the network news and couldn't find anything other than a brief mention on Fox News. Checked again the next morning and over the next couple of days and nothing more than a short reports in the overall newscast. I don't watch the network or cable news very often, but was surprised it wasn't getting more coverage. The loss of life could well end up being on par with the Indonesian quake/tsunami.

YouBet
AG
Ag87H2O said:

I can't figure out why the national media has largely ignored this massive disaster. During the Indonesian tsunami and ***ushima disasters it was wall to wall coverage for a couple of days. On the Sunday night when this thread was started I immediately started looking on the network news and couldn't find anything other than a brief mention on Fox News. Checked again the next morning and over the next couple of days and nothing more than a short reports in the overall newscast. I don't watch the network or cable news very often, but was surprised it wasn't getting more coverage. The loss of life could well end up being on par with the Indonesian quake/tsunami.

American media has largely abandoned foreign affairs at this point. The WSJ covers World news which is pretty much where i get it now but our cable networks are solely focused on the blood sport of domestic politics.
Nanomachines son
Ag87H2O said:

All foreign affairs correspondents do it from their bedroom by tweeting. No one travels for stories anymore. Everything about modern mainstream news is a joke.
VitruvianAg
AG
Surveyor's nightmare?
fullback44
AG
VitruvianAg said:

Surveyor's nightmare?

Talk about losing the pins … they could be gone !
fullback44
AG
VaultingChemist said:

That bottom pic is some crazy stuff .. terrible natural disaster
Squadron7
AG
Ag87H2O said:

You're thinking the American media is Edward R. Murrow.

Nope.

They are all Taylor Lorenz now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.