Vandy Prof: Math is "White" and "Cisheteropatriarchal"

4,744 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Krautag81
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

A Vanderbilt professor delivered a lecture earlier this month at a major mathematician meeting that described college math education as "white" and "cisheteropatriarchal."

Luis Leyva, assistant professor of mathematics at Vanderbilt University, delivered a lecture titled, "Undergraduate Mathematics Education as a White, Cisheteropatriarchal Space and Opportunities for Structural Disruption to Advance Queer of Color Justice," according to the website of Joint Mathematics Meeting.

The lecture consisted of two parts. The first half of the lecture showed findings from Leyva's research about the "educational experiences of 39 undergraduate queer and trans students of color pursuing STEM majors across historically White and minority-serving universities in the United States."

Leyva's lecture abstract states the "findings depict how Black, Latin*, and Asian QT (Queer-Transgender) students' narratives of experience reflect forms of intersectionality, or instances of oppression and resistance at intersecting systems of white supremacy and cisheteropatriarchy."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/professor-argues-math-education-white-cisheteropatriarchal-limits-queer-trans-students-color

Kamala Harris word salads make more sense than this.
stetson
AG
Vanderbilt should be embarrassed.
FJB
Ellis Wyatt
Racial ideologues see everything as a race issue. America is suffering because of it.
TRM
AG
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

Cisheteropatriarchal
My spell check didn't recognize that word
LOL OLD
93MarineHorn
As a white, male cis whatever the f/ck these freaks are calling us now, I can say that I felt "oppressed" by Calculus at UT, too. When is the lecture on my behalf?
Phatbob
AG
There is nothing in the universe more black & white, hard cold reality than math. It doesn't care what you feel, it doesn't care how hard it is to come up with or deal with, it just is what it is. If math is anti-whatever they want to complain about, then maybe what they want to complain about is, well, reality, and they are just upset that they can't just will a new one into existence.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Lmao!

How are educated people so ignorant? Do they get how huge Arabic mathematical concepts are and that they are the basis of a lot of modern Western math? Heck the basic numerals we use are Arabic!

Though I guess he has a point that ME culture isn't super tolerant of the rainbow
Ag87H2O
AG
Science Denier said:

Quote:

Cisheteropatriarchal
The race baiters are going to be pissed. They got left out.
BDUB95
Good gawd. This person should be kicked out of academics, forced to return his degrees, and apologize to the world for how stupid he is.
Science Denier
AG
BDUB95 said:

Good gawd. This person should be kicked out of academics, forced to return her degrees, and apologize to the world for how stupid she is.
Tucker may have a field day with this story. I may be laughing for several days if he tackles this.

Hell, I'm laughing already.
LOL OLD
Easy 8
https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/bio/luis-leyva
Ellis Wyatt
Science Denier said:

Quote:

Cisheteropatriarchal
Words like that are proof that someone has spent far too much time inside the "education" system. Pure idiocy.
Mayor West
AG
In his next lecture he probably completely contradicted himself and discussed how math originated in the Middle East and was just appropriated by whites
BDUB95
Ooops, not a she.
Science Denier
AG
BDUB95 said:

Ooops, not a she.
Are you a biologist?
LOL OLD
SoTxAg
AG
If we've reached the point where this is an actual worry and being written about by a college professor, then i guess we've solved all the other problems in the world, right?
VaultingChemist
AG
From "Just Equations" …….yeah right…..

Quote:

Dr. Leyva is a 2020 Postdoctoral Fellow with the National Academy of Education and Spencer Foundation. He was recently distinguished with the 2021 Faculty/Staff Award for Equity, Diversity & Inclusion in Vanderbilt University-Peabody College. Leyva's contributions to the field of mathematics education have been recognized as a 2019 honoree in Lathisms (an online showcase of Latinx mathematics education researchers, American Mathematical Society & Mathematical Association of America), the recipient of the 2018 Early Career Publication Award from the Research in Mathematics Education special interest group of the American Educational Research Association, and awardee of the 2015 Dissertation Fellowshipfrom the National Academy of Education and Spencer Foundation.

Dr. Leyva is the director of the PRISM (Power, Resistance & Identity in STEM Education) Research Lab at Peabody College.

The lab's research serves to hold an "intersectional prism" up to historically marginalized student's narratives of experience to illuminate and disrupt multidimensional forms of oppression in undergraduate STEM education.
What a cluster of gobbledygook.
AgNav93
AG
Phatbob said:

There is nothing in the universe more black & white, hard cold reality than math. It doesn't care what you feel, it doesn't care how hard it is to come up with or deal with, it just is what it is. If math is anti-whatever they want to complain about, then maybe what they want to complain about is, well, reality, and they are just upset that they can't just will a new one into existence.
This is why they hate math. It won't bend to their reality. It is what is. It doesn't care about your feelings or pronouns. Therefore it's white supremacist and must be destroyed. Imagine a world with out math.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
So does this mean I can claim math as a white hetero male culture and if any other people attempt to use math that they are appropriating my culture?

(Hopefully they won't look up the Arabic origins of any mathematics. It might just undermine their creative fan fiction. )
Cyprian
AG
Stupid is a stupid does
Slicer97
AG
He/she/it/they/zhe/whatever sure picked an awfully narrow window to demonstrate that folks that engage in abnormal behavior encounter difficulty navigating a normal society....
ABattJudd
AG
Easy 8 said:

There's the problem: this dude isn't a mathematician. He's in the College of Education.

As someone who's taught for 20 years and has an Ed.D., I'm pretty sure colleges of education belong on in the heap of useless academic BS.

"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
B-1 83
AG
Hey Dr. Luis Leyva, blow me.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
VaultingChemist
AG
I am sure glad that Srinivasan Ramanujan did not think that because he was poor and nonwhite that he would not be accepted as a mathematician.

The beauty of math is that it does not care about your thoughts and feelings.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
93MarineHorn said:

As a white, male cis whatever the f/ck these freaks are calling us now, I can say that I felt "oppressed" by Calculus at UT, too. When is the lecture on my behalf?
You went to texas. You'll get nothing and like it.
Phatbob
AG
So I need to get this to Texas Instruments and demand a share of the profits:

Call it the TI1619 and it has different modes and buttons than your normal calculator. Before you can enter any numbers, you have to input your pronouns, then enter your race, and then any other mitigating identifying factors (this will need to be connected to the internet for constant updates, as this list is always changing). Then depending on the information given, either it gives you the answer for the problem typed in (for a white Cismale), or it just asks you what you want the answer to be, and gives it back to you (for any oppressed group).

Charge $400 each and all universities will require it for all their students as part of their DEI programs.
justcallmeharry
S
ABattJudd said:

Easy 8 said:

There's the problem: this dude isn't a mathematician. He's in the College of Education.

As someone who's taught for 20 years and has an Ed.D., I'm pretty sure colleges of education belong on in the heap of useless academic BS.

Dr. Jill would like a word with you.
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
Smudge
AG
Easy 8 said:

Link takes me to the Babylon Bee...
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Smudge
AG
Phatbob said:

So I need to get this to Texas Instruments and demand a share of the profits:

Call it the TI1619 and it has different modes and buttons than your normal calculator. Before you can enter any numbers, you have to input your pronouns, then enter your race, and then any other mitigating identifying factors (this will need to be connected to the internet for constant updates, as this list is always changing). Then depending on the information given, either it gives you the answer for the problem typed in (for a white Cismale), or it just asks you what you want the answer to be, and gives it back to you (for any oppressed group).

Charge $400 each and all universities will require it for all their students as part of their DEI programs.
Yes... and then have each group build a plane and see which one flies. Or even a ****ing toaster... which one toasts?
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
DamnGood86
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Racial ideologues see everything as a race issue. America is suffering because of it.

All of my shortcomings and failings are your fault. My mighty and righteous efforts cannot overcome your oppression, albeit subconscious. I call upon the world to wage war against you and everyone who looks like you.

It matters not if 1+2=3 or 2+2=3, the words I speak are true and correct no matter what you think you see with your eyes.

Now we can all see how past atrocities occured. We no longer have to wonder how thousands, millions of people were able to stand idly by while the world around them was burned to the ground.

We can simply look at our neighbors and look in the mirror to witness the inaction necessary to allow the plunder.
Present company included.
You may not be a moron, but some people think you are.
Al Bula
AG

Quote:

Cisheteropatriarchal
LOL

Why do Dims hate straight fathers? This family system has worked well for every race except one.

I'm actually kinda surprised the didn't call it "Cisangloheteropatriarchal"
BillYeoman
Someone needs to invent a Time Machine, send this "prof" to MesoAmerica in the year 1,000AD, have him explain it to the Mayans and sell tickets to his future ritual sacrifice.
sleepybeagle
AG
Phatbob said:

Exactly - It's the same thing with Basketball. Either you can put a ball thru a hoop or you can't.
Whites aren't represented in college basketball and the NBA not because of some racial bias.

Science Denier
AG
Sounds like Vanderbilt needs to cancel all math courses.
LOL OLD
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.