Vandy Prof: Math is "White" and "Cisheteropatriarchal"

4,787 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Krautag81
dallasiteinsa02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't imagine what this professor would think if they knew I played hangman on my TI-85 calculator.
The Debt
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I can't imagine what this professor would think if they knew I played hangman on my TI-85 calculator.

Of course the stick figure was a POC
one MEEN Ag
AG
Smudge said:

Phatbob said:

So I need to get this to Texas Instruments and demand a share of the profits:

Call it the TI1619 and it has different modes and buttons than your normal calculator. Before you can enter any numbers, you have to input your pronouns, then enter your race, and then any other mitigating identifying factors (this will need to be connected to the internet for constant updates, as this list is always changing). Then depending on the information given, either it gives you the answer for the problem typed in (for a white Cismale), or it just asks you what you want the answer to be, and gives it back to you (for any oppressed group).

Charge $400 each and all universities will require it for all their students as part of their DEI programs.
Yes... and then have each group build a plane and see which one flies. Or even a ****ing toaster... which one toasts?
No toaster. Everything is a toaster if you wire it bad enough. Someone's gonna pass on a technicality.
Kansas Kid
1 + 1 = 2 certainly looks transphobic and racist to me.
VaultingChemist
AG
From "Just Equations"
Quote:

Math As a Gatekeeper

Mathematics is not just an academic subject: It's a key mechanism in the distribution of opportunity. Solid quantitative reasoning skills are an underpinning of achievement in the classroom, in the workplace, and in other human pursuits. Yet, math can also be wielded in ways that arbitrarily close doors to educational advancement. In fact, math appears unrivaled in its use as a marker of intelligence that can limit access to future opportunity.
I am trying to visualize how math is being used to "arbitrarily" close doors.
Children in classrooms aren't being segregated based upon ethnicity, skin color, or gender.
Not all students are great at math, just like most students can't run 400m in less than 55 seconds.
schmellba99
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Lmao!

How are educated people so ignorant? Do they get how huge Arabic mathematical concepts are and that they are the basis of a lot of modern Western math? Heck the basic numerals we use are Arabic!

Though I guess he has a point that ME culture isn't super tolerant of the rainbow
Because they have never had to deal with the real world.

No different than engineers I work with designing some really dumb things simply because they never have to actually work on said designs.
TheEternalPessimist
Isn't a lot of our math Arabic in origin? How is that white?
APHIS AG
BDUB95 said:

Good gawd. This person should be kicked out of academics, forced to return his degrees, and apologize to the world for how stupid he is.
And I am sure that the ten or less individuals that attended the talk were "inspired".
Signel
AG
Math, the language of the universe that cannot be disputed and explains everything (including low IQ idiots like this) is Cisheteropatriarchal?

okaaaay...
Proc92
Math? Hell of a job, mr cisheteropatriarch! Thanks.
TAMU1990
AG
stetson said:

Vanderbilt should be embarrassed.
Well, their hospital was pushing trans surgeries on kids for money streams.
agent-maroon
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Lmao!

How are educated people so ignorant? Do they get how huge Arabic mathematical concepts are and that they are the basis of a lot of modern Western math? Heck the basic numerals we use are Arabic!

Though I guess he has a point that ME culture isn't super tolerant of the rainbow
They must have been white Arabs. Duh...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Garrelli 5000
AG
This twerp is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame inventing words via some random woke word-salad app.
Take the trash out staff.
Waffledynamics
AG
Keep exposing people like this. The fact that they're so embarrassed means that they know it's wrong and insidious.
Johnny Park!
NOT SEC READY
Max Stonetrail
cisheteropatriarchal

Is this similar to supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?
Smeghead4761
"Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best, he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear his shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house." - Robert Heinlein
eric76
AG
Phatbob said:

There is nothing in the universe more black & white, hard cold reality than math. It doesn't care what you feel, it doesn't care how hard it is to come up with or deal with, it just is what it is. If math is anti-whatever they want to complain about, then maybe what they want to complain about is, well, reality, and they are just upset that they can't just will a new one into existence.
We could argue that Math is "anti-stupid".
eric76
AG
Easy 8 said:

https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/bio/luis-leyva
So he's "Mathematics Education", not "Mathematics".

It makes more sense, now.
Krautag81
Last time I looked, math was math, it's a constant. He accomplished what he wanted….in the news.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.