Can you shoot someone while they are holding up a store you're at?

17,978 Views | 210 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasRebel
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They will find him as he was driving a very unique identifiable old truck they got on video. They need to find him to shake his hand.
Ags4DaWin
Umm robbing a store with what appears to be a weapon is in and itself threatening
...not just the store but everyone in it.
Caliber
AG
D-Fens said:

Even if he was leaving, shooting him in the back when the gun is not pointed at anyone, would be the highest probability of safe kill.

This idea that you are supposed to do a western duel or wait until the criminal is facing you is stupid. If someone goes around pointing a gun at people while commiting a felony, they are justified in being killed right there on premise by any means....and if they are retreating, thats great timing. Fleeing and surrendering are 2 very different things.

Reminds me of an early 90s terrible movie. El Diablo

"You shot him in the back!"

"His back was to me."
torrid
AG
agz win said:

They will find him as he was driving a very unique identifiable old truck they got on video. They need to find him to shake his hand.
Shooter getting in his truck.

valtosca
AG

WARNING, FULL VERSION
Robert L. Peters
Not sure how all those extra shots after he was down are gonna go. **** he shot the guy like 9 times

Edit for: I just saw the Harris da on the news and it sounded like they're not going to prosecute.
agz win
AG
Adrenaline in the heat of the moment emptied the gun.
Robert L. Peters
agz win said:

Adrenaline in the heat of the moment emptied the gun.

Yeah. I love guns, I used to own a lot of guns until the boating accident, I wholly support his right to take that man out. But those last shots? And then the final shot where he waited a bit? It looks bad too me and that's despite my support for his actions.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Not sure how all those extra shots after he was down are gonna go. **** he shot the guy like 9 times

Edit for: I just saw the Harris da on the news and it sounded like they're not going to prosecute.
As the former Harris County DA Johnny Holmes once said, if you are allowed to shoot a man dead, you are allowed to shoot him dead, dead, dead.

And I agree that the last shot (looked like execution style to the back of the head) was gratuitous. But almost certainly he had already inflicted fatal wounds--the robber was dead either way.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasRebel
AG
1872walker said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Of he had just stolen from the victim, it was a good shoot btw. Reasonable belief property is being taken with no chance of recovery...

Regardless of legality, it's a horrible idea to shoot someone who is not a threat because of theft of property. It's just stuff. Not worth it.

It was to the thief.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That last shot in particular could be a problem for him. Seemed like he popped the robber in the head after he picked up the robber's gun. Not an issue if I'm on his jury, but i could see some having an issue. Hopefully they just consider it a terrified guy and let him go
one safe place
88planoAg said:

Bad guy has time to rob everyone at the restaurant, then good guy shoots him, then examines weapon, gets all stolen goods, gives stuff back to victims, good guy and all customers leave.....all of this happens BEFORE the cops get there.
I am always amazed when I see situations in which they say the cops got there in 3 minutes or 5 minutes or some other relatively short time. I live in a small town and I'd figure we would be lucky to see one arrive in under ten to fifteen minutes.

Our cops tend to eat lunch and the evening meal together. You will see 4 or 5 of their cars parked outside the restaurants. If I had bad intentions, I would cut some valve stems right before I did the deed.
valtosca
AG
one safe place said:

88planoAg said:

Bad guy has time to rob everyone at the restaurant, then good guy shoots him, then examines weapon, gets all stolen goods, gives stuff back to victims, good guy and all customers leave.....all of this happens BEFORE the cops get there.
I am always amazed when I see situations in which they say the cops got there in 3 minutes or 5 minutes or some other relatively short time. I live in a small town and I'd figure we would be lucky to see one arrive in under ten to fifteen minutes.

Our cops tend to eat lunch and the evening meal together. You will see 4 or 5 of their cars parked outside the restaurants. If I had bad intentions, I would cut some valve stems right before I did the deed.

9 seconds from the first to the last shot.
zephyr88
AG
4 shots from standing to the ground - good shots
4 shots after he hit the ground - questionable
1 shot for good measure - uncertain

I'll be following this outcome.

BoDog
AG
That's why I say hey man, nice shot! What a good shot man!

Video made my week. Thanks for posting!
Dad
AG
It's completely legit considering our laws, but if I ran things it would be okay to shoot armed robbers at any point and they would all get the death penalty if caught alive.
Dad
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

The Green Dragon said:

As the former Harris County DA Johnny Holmes once said, if you are allowed to shoot a man dead, you are allowed to shoot him dead, dead, dead.

And I agree that the last shot (looked like execution style to the back of the head) was gratuitous. But almost certainly he had already inflicted fatal wounds--the robber was dead either way.

For that last shot could they charge him with abuse of a corpse?
Cyprian
AG
I wouldn't convict him of anything on a Jury, but that last shot gave off some John Wick executioners type of vibes. I suppose he eliminated any remote possibility he'd get up at that point - threat 100% neutralized without a doubt. Also, obviously a heat of the moment played into this, when you have sufficient reason to think that everyone in the restaurant is being fatally threatened.
InfantryAg
AG
first four shots were good. After that the robber dropped his gun. Robber is no longer a threat, from the cameras perspective. Those next four shots questionable, but can probably be explained away. After the victim takes the robbers gun, that's not good. Although I wouldn't prosecute, in today's (Harris County) environment, esp if I was a dem, I would be more inclined to let a grand jury decide, and not be aggressive about it.

Waiting for crump to show up and the family tell how he was just trying to get college money.

Where this guy is really going to be hosed is in the civil trial.
eric76
AG
To the best of my knowledge, there is no statutory limit to how many shots you can take in self defense and the defense of others.
eric76
AG
InfantryAg said:

first four shots were good. After that the robber dropped his gun. Robber is no longer a threat, from the cameras perspective. Those next four shots questionable, but can probably be explained away. After the victim takes the robbers gun, that's not good. Although I wouldn't prosecute, in today's (Harris County) environment, esp if I was a dem, I would be more inclined to let a grand jury decide, and not be aggressive about it.

Waiting for crump to show up and the family tell how he was just trying to get college money.

Where this guy is really going to be hosed is in the civil trial.
By the looks of his pickup, he would most likely appear to be judgment proof.
Pookers
AG
eric76 said:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no statutory limit to how many shots you can take in self defense and the defense of others.

While I think the robber got what he deserved its still uncomfortable watching that video. Sad what happens when the rule of law degrades. Will be interesting to see if he's charged with something.
InfantryAg
AG
eric76 said:

It's not defense if he is no longer a threat. When you are in possession of his gun, you had better have factual information to support why you still thought he was a threat. West Texas, it's probably not an issue. Houston on the other hand...

You might be correct on judgement proof, but he could be a millionaire, who is cheap! Hopefully he doesn't have any assets in his name.
valtosca
AG
There's several questions about the last shot and with the benefit of hind sight the last shot does feel uncomfortable; however, we must remember it was 9 seconds from first shot to the last. The only thing that seems to have been meditated on by the good guy in the heat of the moment was to eliminate the threat.
redcrayon
AG
Quote:

Nixon said the shooter had no obligation to stay at the scene and explain himself since he didn't commit a crime. There are only two crimes in which someone has to stay on the scene under Texas law, he said, both involving vehicle accidents.
redcrayon
AG
It's a crap move to put a picture of this guy and his truck out. He did nothing wrong and the police are endangering his life. Do your own detective work if you want to talk to him.

Give the guy a medal. People are fed up with criminals in cities like Houston getting a slap on the wrist for violent crimes. Let this guy live in peace.
combat wombat™
AG
Good.
annie88
AG
If you're enough of a dumb ass to walk into a restaurant with a gun, regardless of whether it is fake, because the people would not know that, you deserve what you get. The fact that he's dead right now is because he's an idiot.

Hadn't been a real gun and loaded and this kid panicked. He could've easily killed anyone in there.

Quite frankly, it's his own damn fault he's dead.

And also, if these scumbags start to realize more people possibly have guns, in situations like this, maybe they wouldn't do this kind of crap.

But no, the Democrats wanna make it to where everything's a gun-free zone. Yeah, they know that and that's why they target them.

The fact that he took him down, it's just the way this went, I might've shot at his calf, but I have no problems with this guy shooting to kill. For all he knew his life was about to be over.
MallalieuAg
AG
If the robber stole my wallet I would want it back no matter how I get it. Stupid thief. Watch out who you mess with.
BigRobSA
Good shooting, all 9 shots.

Don't want to get capped while robbing people?

Don't rob people. FAFO
FrioAg 00
AG
Must not have known there was a camera.

He needed to yell out "oh crap he's still moving!" As he took that last shot
TefIon Don
AG
Good riddance. I don't have a problem with any of the 9 shots.
Help_needed
Is your the wallet that says Bad Mother****er
combat wombat™
AG
TefIon Don said:

Good riddance. I don't have a problem with any of the 9 shots.

We'll, you shoot your "stop the threat" not to "kill". I think the threat was stopped.

But, I'm not going to judge to shooter.
TefIon Don
AG
How do I know he's dead unless you check pulse or he has a bullet through the skull? He could have been wearing a vest and was playing dead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.