Can you shoot someone while they are holding up a store you're at?

17,932 Views | 210 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasRebel
1872walker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kvetch said:

1872walker said:

Fear of imprisonment should be a sufficient deterrent for property crimes. It's inexcusable that big cities are not enforcing laws.

However, you're ignoring the legal, monetary and emotional consequences for the shooter should they choose to use deadly force against someone who took something from them.

To clarify, this was absolutely a good shoot. There is clearly a threat to the persons in the restaurant. Keep the justification there.

Hate to break it to you, but prison is not an adequate deterrent. I'm so sick of the bleeding hearts saying "think of the situation of the criminal!" How about you think about the victims. I care about the people who wake up in the morning and don't decide to stick a pistol in the face of others to obtain their worldly belongings.

You can mourn the loss of life while also recognizing that they were hoist upon their own petard. They chose their fate. An armed society is a polite society, and every conceivable study proves that. Let's not act like the police catch every single one of these guy.

It's quite obvious you've never been robbed.

Separate issues. Prison not being an adequate deterrent is a failure of law enforcement and the justice system. Separate issue.

I'm not mourning a damn thing here. Look at the second post on this thread.

This scumbag decided his own fate and I won't shed a tear about him not stealing money or even oxygen from this world ever again.

This was a clear threat to life and completely justified. I was responding to a particular post and stating that risk of loss of property alone while legal is a poor choice of use of deadly force.

And yes. I have been robbed. It sucks.
BrazosDog02
AG
This is going to be a hell of a legal battle for the Samaritan. It's a clean shoot I believe. I don't believe the robber was leaving or on the way out or at least I cannot ascertain that from the video. For me, as a daily carrier who'd feel ok about shooting someone for kicking my dog, I'd have to be in the situation to feel this out. The legal ramifications for the CHL guy are going to be considerable and, if I'm being honest, I'm not shooting if I am reasonably sure he is leaving or I have an escape route that allows me and my family to get out safely. If anyone else wants protection, I advise they carry their own weapon.
TexasAggie_97
AG
The guy was walking around pointing the gun at everybody so yes I think it is a justified shooting. Only an idiot would pull his gun while the criminal is pointing a gun at him from a few feet away. At that time you take whatever opportunity you have to defend yourself and others and if the guy turns from you and points the gun at somebody else then that is his problem not yours. If I am on the jury and see that video I am shaking the hand of the shooter and thanking him for his service.
BQ_90
AG
Joe Biden has made things so bad that even the criminals can't afford to have real guns.
BrazosDog02
AG
I also want to comment on the look on the guys face sitting across from the CHL guy… "**** me, I'm gonna have to give a police statement in 3,2,…"
Yesterday
AG
As someone who was held up at gunpoint and robbed, I endorse robbers being shot during the crime, as they are leaving, arriving at their home and a week later sitting on the couch.

At that moment, the perp is making it known he will end your life if you do not comply. That in and of itself is justification enough for me to end his at any time available.

The only exception is if he returns the items and apologizes.

Good shoot! Kill them all!
BrazosDog02
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

The guy was walking around pointing the gun at everybody so yes I think it is a justified shooting. Only an idiot would pull his gun while the criminal is pointing a gun at him from a few feet away. At that time you take whatever opportunity you have to defend yourself and others and if the guy turns from you and points the gun at somebody else then that is his problem not yours. If I am on the jury and see that video I am shaking the hand of the shooter and thanking him for his service.

You're not going to be in the jury and neither am I. We'll get weeded out early.
justcallmeharry
S
Did the shooter's wallet have BMF on it?
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
Dimebag Darrell
1872walker said:

Caliber said:

1872walker said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Of he had just stolen from the victim, it was a good shoot btw. Reasonable belief property is being taken with no chance of recovery...

Regardless of legality, it's a horrible idea to shoot someone who is not a threat because of theft of property. It's just stuff. Not worth it.
Its not just theft of property when they have a gun...

Doesn't matter that it ended up being a fake gun. You have to presume anyone that is using a gun to forcibly take your stuff is prepare to use it.

Good Shoot.

Again, yes that may be legally justified but that alone would be a poor reason to shoot someone due to the ****storm you are putting yourself in after the fact.

Agreed. You are gambling with your life if you shoot someone over mere possessions (i.e. someone fumbling through your car at night). You are staking your life on having judge/jury that rules in your favor. Then there's the legal fees. Just not worth it.
torrid
AG
1872walker said:

Fear of imprisonment should be a sufficient deterrent for property crimes. It's inexcusable that big cities are not enforcing laws.

However, you're ignoring the legal, monetary and emotional consequences for the shooter should they choose to use deadly force against someone who took something from them.

To clarify, this was absolutely a good shoot. There is clearly a threat to the persons in the restaurant. Keep the justification there.
To me, a property crime is someone breaking into a car or an unoccupied building to steal items. This was not a property crime. This was a threat of violence and death using what any of the victims could reasonably presume was a real gun that he was willing to use.
torrid
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

A couple of years ago there was video of a church shooter where there were several parishioners packing heat. Several drew on the shooter. He shot one or two who were in his field of view as he already had his gun out. He was taken out by one who was out of the shooter's field of view. They essentially gave their lives by giving others the opportunity to get the drop on the shooter.
Kvetch
AG
1872walker said:

Kvetch said:

1872walker said:

Hate to break it to you, but prison is not an adequate deterrent. I'm so sick of the bleeding hearts saying "think of the situation of the criminal!" How about you think about the victims. I care about the people who wake up in the morning and don't decide to stick a pistol in the face of others to obtain their worldly belongings.

You can mourn the loss of life while also recognizing that they were hoist upon their own petard. They chose their fate. An armed society is a polite society, and every conceivable study proves that. Let's not act like the police catch every single one of these guy.

It's quite obvious you've never been robbed.

Separate issues. Prison not being an adequate deterrent is a failure of law enforcement and the justice system. Separate issue.

I'm not mourning a damn thing here. Look at the second post on this thread.

This scumbag decided his own fate and I won't shed a tear about him not stealing money or even oxygen from this world ever again.

This was a clear threat to life and completely justified. I was responding to a particular post and stating that risk of loss of property alone while legal is a poor choice of use of deadly force.

And yes. I have been robbed. It sucks.

You're avoiding the fact that any meaningful attempt to steal property is an intrinsic threat to the life of another. Even if the property is currently vacated, what if the owner comes back in the process of the theft? Every robbery has an intrinsic threat of violence unless you're going to assume that the robber will just lay down and surrender if he's caught in the act, which you cannot do. Just like you cannot assume the guy with the gun won't pull the trigger. I shouldn't have the burden of waiting to see what the criminal will try to do when they've already proven themselves to be a criminal.

We're not talking about executing people who took a stick of gum from you. But if someone is willing to break into your home or your car with the intent of taking your property, you have every right to see that as a threat to your personal safety and use requisite force to protect yourself.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
1872walker said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Of he had just stolen from the victim, it was a good shoot btw. Reasonable belief property is being taken with no chance of recovery...

Regardless of legality, it's a horrible idea to shoot someone who is not a threat because of theft of property. It's just stuff. Not worth it.

Nah. If more people got shot trying to steal property there'd be a lot less property theft.

Remember. I didn't decide your life was worth the cost of [insert property value], the thief made that decision for himself.
Jack Squat 83
AG
I didn't watch the video, but did the shooter or other victims retrieve their stolen goods from the deceased?

If not and they all ran out, that's your answer on whether it's a property crime(theft) or a violent terrorizing incident, that clearly justifies the shoot.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
doubledog
ShotOver said:

Not only is it ok, it's expected
It is never OK to harm anyone... It may be necessary to defend yourself or your family.
Hungry Ojos
Pumpkinhead said:

If the robber was shot in the back (I don't know if that was the case but hypothetically) while trying to leave the store, exiting not threatening anyone…I would expect criminal charges to be filed against the shooter. We don't need folks walking around playing Judge Dredd.

If in that same hypothetical it was a cop doing the shooting, there would be repercussions for that officer.

If the shooter was legitimately in a situation where a reasonable person would conclude his or someone else's life was in danger, then okay.

I honestly hate the fact that I have to share this country with people like you. ALWAYS, no matter what the circumstances, on the side of evil against good. Literally always.
1872walker
Go back and reread what you initially responded to.

1872walker said:

Ag_of_08 said:

My point is that while legal, shooting someone solely based upon the loss of property is a poor choice of use of deadly force. It may be justified, but the legal fees, time spent, and emotional toll you will pay for defending property are very likely not worth it.

You're reading far more into my statement than what is there. You're extrapolating to numerous scenarios that I did not address.

I was responding to a specific comment about the use of deadly force in defense of property. Once the threat of life becomes evident, the equation changes substantially.
Decay
AG
Armed robbers should die, or at a minimum get a hand cut off.
HumbleAg04
AG
Looks like another white hispanic perpetuating systemic racism in our country. Completely unacceptable.
VegasAg86
AG
CorpsTerd04 said:

He was pointing the gun at the guy in the corner he was not even close to leaving. That reporter should be fired.

That was my first thought. How the hell do you make that definitive statement based on that video? Looks like a legal shooting to me.
Shoefly!
AG
Yes, Wild Wild West, Baby!
And they didn't stick around to talk to no po po.
Shoefly!
AG
1872walker said:

Go back and reread what you initially responded to.

1872walker said:

Ag_of_08 said:

My point is that while legal, shooting someone solely based upon the loss of property is a poor choice of use of deadly force. It may be justified, but the legal fees, time spent, and emotional toll you will pay for defending property are very likely not worth it.

You're reading far more into my statement than what is there. You're extrapolating to numerous scenarios that I did not address.

I was responding to a specific comment about the use of deadly force in defense of property. Once the threat of life becomes evident, the equation changes substantially.

So I guess you take the chance of being shot dead instead? Nope, I've been the victim of a bank robbery, I'm not willing to take that chance again. I wish I had been armed that day.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
rgag12 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

If the robber was shot in the back (I don't know if that was the case but hypothetically) while trying to leave the store, exiting not threatening anyone…I would expect criminal charges to be filed against the shooter. We don't need folks walking around playing Judge Dredd.

If in that same hypothetical it was a cop doing the shooting, there would be repercussions for that officer.

If the shooter was legitimately in a situation where a reasonable person would conclude his or someone else's life was in danger, then okay.

Criminal has what appears to be a firearm out and threatening people. I don't know in what world that isn't a viable pretext to shoot.

In that still, Guy in the booth with shooter looks not even care what's going on. Not looking at the guy robbing the restaurant and not even looking at his friend about to blow the robber away.
zephyr88
AG
MuchosPollos said:

Why didn't he just shoot the plastic gun out of his hands?
Dumbest thing anyone could ever do is commit a crime with a fake gun (especially in Texas).

Classic case of FAFO.
FratboyLegend
I would take that shot EVERY time.

As others have said, that was NOT a property crime. That was a very violent crime, and I would no bill the shooter based on the video alone.
#CertifiedSIP
TheEternalPessimist
MuchosPollos said:

Exactly... this is what I was thinking.

Or at least try to aim for his ankle.
girlfriend_experience
LOL they aren't going to try to peruse this or find that guy this is Houston crime doesn't get solved here ....Glad the robber was killed.
Seamaster
AG
Definitely justified under the law. He was actively aiming his weapon at customers.

As to it being a "fake gun" - well, play stupid games win stupid prizes and all of that.
TheEternalPessimist
Looks like robber found out.
TxTarpon
Decay said:

Armed robbers should die, or at a minimum get a hand cut off.
Head
Stick
Wap Wap
IIIHorn

Was he shot for ending a sentence with a preposition?

hbtheduce
AG
1872walker said:

Ag_of_08 said:

The person valuing my property worth more than their life is the robber. Especially if he is waving a weapon in my face to take it.
cevans_40
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

This here is how I know we are doomed as a society.
aggiegolfer03
AG
MuchosPollos said:

TxAgPreacher
S
Pumpkinhead said:

I am duly licensed by the state of Texas to carry a firearm. It is legal for me to do so, and the purpose is to use it if I need to. In the class they taught me that I was justified if someone pointed a gun at me or someone else.(Fake or otherwise)

This doesn't make me Judge Dredd. It makes me licensed by the government, and gives me the authority to dispense justice on active shooters, and criminals who seek to threaten the innocent. As scriptures states.
Quote:

Ro 13:3-7 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience' sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
The criminal should fear CHL/LTC holders everywhere.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.