ESPN: Why Lionel Messi is the best male athlete of all time

13,119 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VitruvianAg
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

The distain y'all show for soccer, the most popular sport in the world, is hilarious.

I don't know that Messi is the greatest male athlete ever; but he is certainly one of the best!

The ones dissing soccer couldn't run half a mile without keeling over. Armchair athletes

I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising
Are you better at "real sports" than Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, and Tom Brady? Because they all have declared Messi to be a freakishly amazing athlete. They are certainly are more familiar with athleticism than you as you sit on your ass and anonymously post on TexAgs.
maroonthrunthru
Great athlete…

He can kick a round ball a hundred different ways and run…

Let him try riding a bull…

Donnie Gay is the greatest athlete of all time…
blackgoldag11
AG
aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

The distain y'all show for soccer, the most popular sport in the world, is hilarious.

I don't know that Messi is the greatest male athlete ever; but he is certainly one of the best!

The ones dissing soccer couldn't run half a mile without keeling over. Armchair athletes

Are you better at "real sports" than Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, and Tom Brady? Because they all have declared Messi to be a freakishly amazing athlete. They are certainly are more familiar with athleticism than you as you sit on your ass and anonymously post on TexAgs.

Bro, chill. I was referencing Kenny powers in eastbound and down. But I'll continue to sit on my ass and laugh at you soccer white knights trying to make it sound like they are the best athletes in the world.
tk for tu juan
The bull is the athlete, the rider is just hanging on
tk for tu juan
The world record in the 20km (12.4 miles) race-walking is 1 hour and 16 minutes. So faster over a longer distance than the average soccer match (8 miles in 1.5 hours)
Dirt 05
AG
Messi is a great player, Mbappe as a contemporary soccer player is better.
aTmAg
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

Bro, chill. I was referencing Kenny powers in eastbound and down. But I'll continue to sit on my ass and laugh at you soccer white knights trying to make it sound like they are the best athletes in the world.
So I'll ask you: do you agree that athletes on a top 6A football team are better than those on a top 4A team?
aTmAg
AG
Dirt 05 said:

LOL. Not even close. A 23 year old Mbappe couldn't even beat out a 34 year old Messi for the Ballon D'or head to head (and that's likely to happen again this year). And there is no way Mbappe could beat Messi in his prime. The two aren't on the same planet.
blackgoldag11
AG
aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

So I'll ask you: do you agree that athletes on a top 6A football team are better than those on a top 4A team?

Not sure what this has to do with my Kenny powers reference but sure
aTmAg
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

Not sure what this has to do with my Kenny powers reference but sure
Messi is GOAT over a MUCH larger pool of people than any NFL, NBA, etc. player. It's simple math.
AGC
AG
aTmAg said:

Dirt 05 said:

LOL. Not even close. A 23 year old Mbappe couldn't even beat out a 34 year old Messi for the Ballon D'or head to head (and that's likely to happen again this year). And there is no way Mbappe could beat Messi in his prime. The two aren't on the same planet.

Now that madrid players aren't winning I guess messistas think the ballon d'or is legitimate again.

This thread is sad. Do you make your SO wear his jersey when y'all sleep together?
FrioAg 00
AG
aTmAg said:

Dirt 05 said:

Mbappe will not only surpass Messi's WC goals scored (currently one down, and he's 2.5 tournaments younger), but he has a very real chance of challenging the all time record.

Messi was on the better overall team and Mbappe's superior play made it the most even WC final ever.

Dirt is absolutely correct.
Aggrad08
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Aggrad08 said:

Messi dominated a sport played by the entire planet.
OK?
Being the best in 300 million is different than being the best in 8 billion (obviously this scales down for just athletes but you get the idea)
Shaquile.Oatmeal
FrioAg 00 said:

aTmAg said:

Dirt 05 said:

Mbappe will not only surpass Messi's WC goals scored (currently one down, and he's 2.5 tournaments younger), but he has a very real chance of challenging the all time record.

Messi was on the better overall team and Mbappe's superior play made it the most even WC final ever.

Mbappe is the best player of his age class. He, like everyone else, is not in the same league with Messi. Not even close.

To say Mbappe is a better player is tantamount to professing immense ignorance or status as a deliberate contrarian.
cecil77
AG
This whole bigger pool of humanity thing is a straw man. Soccer is not uniformly popular, nor uniformly pursued in every country on the planet. So the population of the country is somewhat immaterial.
Ellis Wyatt
Aggrad08 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Aggrad08 said:

OK?
Being the best in 300 million is different than being the best in 8 billion (obviously this scales down for just athletes but you get the idea)
Are the best athletes in the world playing soccer? How do you know this?
aTmAg
AG
AGC said:

aTmAg said:

Dirt 05 said:

Now that madrid players aren't winning I guess messistas think the ballon d'or is legitimate again.

This thread is sad. Do you make your SO wear his jersey when y'all sleep together?
Wait.. are you trying to claim Ronaldo is better? Even now?
Aggrad08
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Aggrad08 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Aggrad08 said:

OK?
Are the best athletes in the world playing soccer? How do you know this?
For the same reason I know the best athletes in our own country play football. It's the biggest, most watched, most lucrative sport. You can actually make more money in baseball for most players than can pull both off, but a lot of athletes go the football route just for the bigger crowds fanfare and attention.

No Usain bolt doesn't play football or soccer, there are always exceptions but broadly the most popular sports attract the most attention and competition.
Im Gipper
Where does NBA fall on the lucrative scale?

41 players made over $30 million this year on salary (not counting shoe deals). How many in NFL made that?

I'm Gipper
aTmAg
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

aTmAg said:

Dirt 05 said:

You think stats for a tournament that only occurs every 4 years count above stats year in and year out? By that argument, Halaand sucks because he didn't even play in the world cup. Never mind that he has a lot more goals than Mbappe in a more difficult league. Hell by your argument, Mbappe in 2018 was a better player than Ronaldo and Messi in 2018. Which is a total joke.

And superior play? Mbappe was invisible for 90% of the game. He had one good goal and the other 2 were PKs earned by others. There is a reason Messi won the World Cup best player over Mbappe.
aTmAg
AG
Im Gipper said:

Where does NBA fall on the lucrative scale?

41 players made over $30 million this year on salary (not counting shoe deals). How many in NFL made that?
The Salary cap screws that up. There is less money to distribute per player in NFL than NBA.

BTW, at Barcelona, Messi was making $168.5M per year.
Tanya 93
Rule #1

Fine specimen of a man.
aTmAg
AG
His wife isn't half bad either:

And she isn't a trophy wife either, he knew her since age 5.

Tanya 93
aTmAg said:

I know.

It is sweet how long they have known each other.

Been a huge Messi fan for years.

gggmann
AG
Messi is great, no doubt, but I've always cheered for Luca Modric.

If all of those Balkan states didn't hate each other and Yugoskavia was still a country they could field some great teams in both soccer and basketball.
aTmAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

aTmAg said:

I know.

It is sweet how long they have known each other.

Been a huge Messi fan for years.
Frankly, I have no idea how anybody can dislike him. He's the GOAT, and he's a ridiculously humble and nice guy to boot.

Story time: At around the 2008 timeframe (Messi was a star, but not yet a superstar), a kid at my son's club (one year up) was on vacation at a resort somewhere while Messi and Antonella (girlfriend, but not yet wife) were there. He and several other kids ended up playing water polo or something with Messi in the pool while Antonella translated back and forth to English.

That's it. That's the story.
AGC
AG
gggmann said:

If all of those Balkan states didn't hate each other and Yugoskavia was still a country they could field some great teams in both soccer and basketball.

Didn't modric win a ballon d'or over Messi AND mbappe? That guy must be otherworldly. I hear billions of people play his sport. He's probably the best athlete in the world.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Street Fighter said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

As far as being a capable athlete, I'll take any "Ninja Warrior" contestant over a guy who simply runs on perfectly manicured grass.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Messi has been a bad ass since he was 6 and became a pro when he was 16.
In what soccer? Isn't that a sport for girls?
aTmAg
AG
AGC said:

gggmann said:

Didn't modric win a ballon d'or over Messi AND mbappe? That guy must be otherworldly. I hear billions of people play his sport. He's probably the best athlete in the world.
Except that Messi and Ronaldo won it over him 12 times combined.
Ag with kids
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

Street Fighter said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

As far as being a capable athlete, I'll take any "Ninja Warrior" contestant over a guy who simply runs on perfectly manicured grass.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Messi has been a bad ass since he was 6 and became a pro when he was 16.
It's a sport for foreigners...so yes, you're right.
aTmAg
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

Street Fighter said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Not according to NFL, NBA, etc. athletes. They consider him one of the greatest athletes of all time. They know more about athletes than you ever will.
TexasAggie_97
AG
aTmAg said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

Street Fighter said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Not according to NFL, NBA, etc. athletes. They consider him one of the greatest athletes of all time. They know more about athletes than you ever will.
Obviously not. Why do you think our best male athletes don't play soccer? Honestly they spend half the time rolling around on the ground begging for a call and the other half kicking a ball to each other. The real question is why do so many people get their panties in a twist when somebody jokes about soccer.
aTmAg
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

aTmAg said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

Street Fighter said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Obviously not. Why do you think our best male athletes don't play soccer? Honestly they spend half the time rolling around on the ground begging for a call and the other half kicking a ball to each other. The real question is why do so many people get their panties in a twist when somebody jokes about soccer.
Is that a serious question? It's because:

1) almost no D1 school offers soccer scholarships for males thanks to Title IX. (This is why so many women play in the US compared to Europe)
2) the average salary of an MLS player is under $500K compared to millions in NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

And I despise floppers. I'm not defending them at all. I think they should be forced to leave the field and play a man down for 5 minutes if they are so hurt that they have to roll around on the field. Either that or get subbed off immediately (for good).

One reason I consider Messi the GOAT is because he is famous for not flopping and playing through violent fouls. See the video I posted a page ago or so for video examples.
Woods Ag
AG
What? France's talent on is WAY better than what Argentina could put out there. It's not even close, France is the most talented team in the world.

Mbappe is unbelievable. I was blown away with how it looks like the rest of the field is moving in slow motion and he's playing with children. If he's going to catch/pass Messi he needs to do what he's been doing since 18 for another 10-11 years because that's what Messi did. He may even need to step it up a notch.
aTmAg
AG
Woods Ag said:

What? France's talent on is WAY better than what Argentina could put out there. It's not even close, France is the most talented team in the world.

Mbappe is unbelievable. I was blown away with how it looks like the rest of the field is moving in slow motion and he's playing with children. If he's going to catch/pass Messi he needs to do what he's been doing since 18 for another 10-11 years because that's what Messi did. He may even need to step it up a notch.
He needs to step it up a big notch. By age 23 Messi had 2 Ballon D'ors.and 2 CL championships. When Mbappe was 23, Messi won his 7th Ballon D'or. Hell Messi was top 3 on the Ballon D'or 4 times by this point. Mbappe has never been in the top 3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.