ESPN: Why Lionel Messi is the best male athlete of all time

13,077 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VitruvianAg
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's what I mean. He's a phenom but if he's going to surpass Messi he needs to be as good or better for the next decade which is sooo hard to do.

I just didn't have the stats to back it up.
aTmAg
AG
Woods Ag said:

That's what I mean. He's a phenom but if he's going to surpass Messi he needs to be as good or better for the next decade which is sooo hard to do.

I just didn't have the stats to back it up.
It will be especially hard to do since he will need to drastically change his playing style. Messi was not only a goal scorer, but he was also a play-maker. He saw the field like nobody else. Mbappe does not have this quality at all. When Messi lost his speed, he still had first class vision, play making, and all of that. When Mbappe looses his speed, he doesn't have near as much to fall back on. He will need to gain that at a time when it will be harder because he will have less time to react when he has lost speed.
Ag with kids
AG

Because I just watched Facing Nolan and I'm sick of soccer talk...

Break THIS mother****ers records...I dare you.
aTmAg
AG
Ag with kids said:

Because I just watched Facing Nolan and I'm sick of soccer talk...

Break THIS mother****ers records...I dare you.
I watched that too, and that dude was a BA.
tk for tu juan
Almost posted earlier that I bet Messi and Mbappe couldn't hit a Nolan Ryan fastball.
Ag with kids
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Almost posted earlier that I bet Messi and Mbappe couldn't hit a Nolan Ryan fastball.
Hell, most MLB players couldn't...

tk for tu juan
The only time I got to see Nolan pitch in-person, Ken Griffey Jr hit a line drive homerun over the right field wall. That thing had some velocity
Ag with kids
AG
tk for tu juan said:

The only time I got to see Nolan pitch in-person, Ken Griffey Jr hit a line drive homerun over the right field wall. That thing had some velocity
Well...if you hit one...it was going to have one hell of a lot of kinetic energy.
aTmAg
AG
BTW, for those not interested in watching Messi games, here is a quick highlight video of some of his Barcelona days:

blackgoldag11
AG
aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

The distain y'all show for soccer, the most popular sport in the world, is hilarious.

I don't know that Messi is the greatest male athlete ever; but he is certainly one of the best!

The ones dissing soccer couldn't run half a mile without keeling over. Armchair athletes

I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising
Are you better at "real sports" than Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, and Tom Brady? Because they all have declared Messi to be a freakishly amazing athlete. They are certainly are more familiar with athleticism than you as you sit on your ass and anonymously post on TexAgs.

Bro, chill. I was referencing Kenny powers in eastbound and down. But I'll continue to sit on my ass and laugh at you soccer white knights trying to make it sound like they are the best athletes in the world.
So I'll ask you: do you agree that athletes on a top 6A football team are better than those on a top 4A team?

Not sure what this has to do with my Kenny powers reference but sure
Messi is GOAT over a MUCH larger pool of people than any NFL, NBA, etc. player. It's simple math.

Cool, still not sure why you are arguing with me for posting a Kenny powers quote. We get it, you love the guy but Kenny powers could still kick his ass
aTmAg
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

The distain y'all show for soccer, the most popular sport in the world, is hilarious.

I don't know that Messi is the greatest male athlete ever; but he is certainly one of the best!

The ones dissing soccer couldn't run half a mile without keeling over. Armchair athletes

Are you better at "real sports" than Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, and Tom Brady? Because they all have declared Messi to be a freakishly amazing athlete. They are certainly are more familiar with athleticism than you as you sit on your ass and anonymously post on TexAgs.

Bro, chill. I was referencing Kenny powers in eastbound and down. But I'll continue to sit on my ass and laugh at you soccer white knights trying to make it sound like they are the best athletes in the world.
So I'll ask you: do you agree that athletes on a top 6A football team are better than those on a top 4A team?

Messi is GOAT over a MUCH larger pool of people than any NFL, NBA, etc. player. It's simple math.

Cool, still not sure why you are arguing with me for posting a Kenny powers quote. We get it, you love the guy but Kenny powers could still kick his ass
I have no idea who the hell that even is.
blackgoldag11
AG
aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

Google it and you'll realize arguing with me was pointless
aTmAg
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

aTmAg said:

blackgoldag11 said:

The Fall Guy said:

dmart90 said:

Google it and you'll realize arguing with me was pointless
Got it. What quote was his?
tk for tu juan
Aggrad08
AG
Im Gipper said:

Where does NBA fall on the lucrative scale?

41 players made over $30 million this year on salary (not counting shoe deals). How many in NFL made that?

The NBA is about being 6'-8" and highly mobile, it's selective as hell but from a tiny portion of the population who exist near a 10-0 tall goal.
VitruvianAg
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

aTmAg said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

Street Fighter said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

As far as being a capable athlete, I'll take any "Ninja Warrior" contestant over a guy who simply runs on perfectly manicured grass.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Messi has been a bad ass since he was 6 and became a pro when he was 16.
In what soccer? Isn't that a sport for girls?
Not according to NFL, NBA, etc. athletes. They consider him one of the greatest athletes of all time. They know more about athletes than you ever will.
Obviously not. Why do you think our best male athletes don't play soccer? Honestly they spend half the time rolling around on the ground begging for a call and the other half kicking a ball to each other. The real question is why do so many people get their panties in a twist when somebody jokes about soccer.
Ha, that second ARG goal against FR was a thing of beauty, five one touch passes at speed (okay Messi touched it twice). Making a one touch long distance pass like those are super rare and incredibly difficult without one of the players either missing the pass reception or just not making an accurate pass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.