Austin falling down the Liberal Hell Hole - Personal Experience

27,849 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag with kids
Hungry Ojos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great post. In your experience in this particular county, what will happen to the *******s when they are caught? Will they just be re-released into society by the progressive DA like we keep hearing about?
LouisHerbertWong
AG
OP, I think we work in the same building off 183/McNeil (though, I've been remote the past three years). We received this email from the property manager yesterday afternoon:

"We wanted to inform you of an incident at the property today involving an attempted robbery with a weapon. Everyone is safe and APD doesn't believe this to be a targeted robbery at the building as the suspect was also seen attempting to steal packages off porches in the neighborhood. We are asking everyone in the building to remain vigilant and call 911 if you see any other suspicious activity. Today's incident involved an early 2000's gold Cadillac sedan with a big dent on the rear passenger side. If you see this vehicle, please call 911 immediately.

Thank you for your assistance."
titan
S
Irish 2.0 said:

Personally, I'd tell my employer I will not be returning to the office until proper measures to improve employee safety are put into place. The PR nightmare of trying to force you back into the office will far outweight the cost of pressuring the property manager to add security. You literally have it documented that you were chased and shot at due to an incident that happened on site. If you work for a larger company, I'd take it right to the top if the local office tries to brush you off.
You are absolutely correct. Had mentioned this on the Chase CEO thread that one of the drawbacks (it was a poster being made to resume going downtown in Houston) is the `blue rot' -- that Dem run cities have allowed crime and vagrancy to take over in many places, and so an employer should be expected to also provide a raise if asking an employee to resume going to areas that have declined.
Aston 91
AG
There aren't any other photos or videos on the Nextdoor post. I have attached a link to the post, but I think Nextdoor limits who can access it to those that live in the area so I doubt you'll be able to access it. I'll keep an eye on that thread and let you know if any other relevant information is shared.

https://nextdoor.com/p/kNL6MW6kqSfj?utm_source=share&extras=MTU0MDQyMjk%3D
HumpitPuryear
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

gotsand said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Hammerly High Dive Crips said:

Hungry Ojos said:

For those asking if he was carrying, at what point in the story would you have drawn your weapon?

Probably not at any point in this story, but it could have gone numerous different ways. Only a fool would rather be unarmed if told he was about to encounter some car jacking thugs with pistols. Would you rather not have that option?

I wasn't questioning the advice to carry. I carry everywhere. I was more looking for advice on when the board thought it might be legally adequate to draw and fire because I wasn't sure.
When it becomes necessary to stop the commission of a forcible felony or there is reasonable fear of great bodily harm to yourself or others. "Reasonable" is the keyword here.

Flipping door handles at noon and giving a sob story doesn't rise to the level of draw and fire, IMO. Could it have? Sure, if he continued to engage them, it sounds like he would have likely been staring at a pistol for his trouble.
OP immediately left, however, which was the right call given the outcome and his available options.

Remember, you're talking about taking someone's life. If your question was serious (and it's a good question) please seek education on the use of deadly force from a qualified 3rd party, not online.

The thing you also have to remember though is that in Travis County, if you shoot a minority, you are GOING to get indicted and likely convicted of murder no matter what the circumstances. When the exact same fact pattern, in say, Tyler, would draw a no bill. I absolutely hate that the law is applied so unevenly across the state, purely on political grounds, but it's also something we have to be cognizant of.
The law might be applied differently but your actions should be consistent. I think you were looking for a breakdown of this particular scenario not the generic "reasonable fear of bodily injury" response. I agree it's useful for those that conceal carry to review scenarios. It's helps us all think strategically and tactically in various scenarios if our brains have noodled through similar scenarios in the past. It's good mental exercise. Your brain is the most important weapon of self defense, not the firearm.

Had the OP been armed the right course of action IMO would be to get mentally and even physically ready to draw the weapon upon seeing the guy messing with his truck. He should have headed back inside or away from the threat as soon as he sensed danger while keeping eyes on the danger. If the perp follows or starts acting aggressive I'm drawing the weapon. If I see a weapon drawn or the perp keeps coming than I'm discharging the weapon. IMO if you hesitate and start questioning your own response based on the race of the perp and jurisdiction of the event you risk being a victim. The key is you should be retreating and avoiding confrontation as much as possible.

Putting an attacker down with a firearm is the second worse thing that can happen to us in a self defense scenario and it will definitely be a life changer. The goal should be getting out of danger without firing a shot.

I also try to spend as little time as possible in liberal ****holes. Avoidance is the best strategy. OP was damn lucky to have made it out of that garage alive. Stay vigilant.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Clob94 said:

OP--- glad you're ok.

Buy a G19.
Carry it.
Practice monthly.

Good luck out there.

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19

How does that compare to this

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

Kinda of a smaller framed individual.

Big Fan of the p365 with the 12 round mag.
op_06
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Great post. In your experience in this particular county, what will happen to the *******s when they are caught? Will they just be re-released into society by the progressive DA like we keep hearing about?

The odds of these guys being caught, given a stern finger wag by a judge with a laughably low bail, and released pending trail to reoffend is extremely high.

Odds are also pretty high they've got multiple convictions for some type of misdemeanor/felony violent crime already. You don't just wake up one day and decide to act like this.

Only cure is sticking folks in jail and leaving them there. Adults are a lot like children with the punishment aspect. Absent consequences, telling them not to do something in a stern voice while wagging a finger isn't solving the problem.

I can't count how many internal BOLOs I've seen where the suspect's pre-trial GPS ankle monitor is visible.
op_06
AG
whytho987654 said:

Undiagnosed psychiatric disorders are rampant out there now

This behavior has nothing to do with mental disorders. It's due to never being held accountable for one's actions and manifests itself into what the OP and countless other victims experience on a daily basis. The bully on the playground who grew up after having never been punched in the nose. Until the "system" holds them accountable for their behavior, it will continue.
i-miss-the-republic
op_06 said:

I'm an Austin cop and have posted about issues multiple times in the recent years concerning the department's funding, staffing, and crime within Austin.

Great post, thanks for the advice.

Also, thanks for what you do every day. Most people I talk to in Austin think defunding the police was a stupid idea. We're outnumbered by liberal arts shriekers that don't pay property taxes, rich liberals that vote for lunacy anyway (that I can't figure out) and Californians bringing their stupid here. Hence our Libtardia city council.
whytho987654
op_06 said:

whytho987654 said:

This behavior has nothing to do with mental disorders. It's due to never being held accountable for one's actions and manifests itself into what the OP and countless other victims experience on a daily basis. The bully on the playground who grew up after having never been punched in the nose. Until the "system" holds them accountable for their behavior, it will continue.
We have judges and DAs that lets people with antisocial and borderline personalities commit crime after crime with no punishment.
Hammerly High Dive Crips

Quote:

This times a million. The chickens haven't even come home to roost yet in terms of widespread mental damage from the pandemic. Just think about virtually all of the rehab and recovery centers and sober living places that were closed down for at least a year. Potentially millions of addicts in desperate need of help being sent packing. That alone is cause for concern...but it's obviously fare bigger than that.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
op_06 said:

Hungry Ojos said:

The odds of these guys being caught, given a stern finger wag by a judge with a laughably low bail, and released pending trail to reoffend is extremely high.

Odds are also pretty high they've got multiple convictions for some type of misdemeanor/felony violent crime already. You don't just wake up one day and decide to act like this.

Only cure is sticking folks in jail and leaving them there. Adults are a lot like children with the punishment aspect. Absent consequences, telling them not to do something in a stern voice while wagging a finger isn't solving the problem.

I can't count how many internal BOLOs I've seen where the suspect's pre-trial GPS ankle monitor is visible.
Our great and wise mayor in Houston begs to differ...

Tom Doniphon
Quote:

1. Carry
2. Get out and Vote! I live in Round Rock in Williamson County but the garbage that defunded the police won't stay in Travis county if you don't vote out the liberals. The Liberals want you to be afraid. They want you to suffer so they prosper.

First off, glad you're safe...
I'd also add one thing to your list - conservatives need to be involved locally. Get on city councils, school boards, local non profits, etc.... yes, many of them are thankless and cause headaches, etc... but we cannot depend on "someone else" to do it. If we do, the leftists freak shows will take over our most precious institutions.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

I honestly would love to hear a liberal defend this DA and the countless others like him around the country who have turned peaceful cities into third world hell-holes. How can you vote for these people in good conscience?
Cuz racism!! George Floyd, Breona Taylor and Michael Brown ring a bell? Jeez you people just don't get it!!!
CSTXAg92
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Will post my recent experience before PotCake says Austin is safe and we can't say anything about Austin because it's hip.

3 weeks ago at my work off of Hancock and Balconies Dr sitting at my desk and I heard a commotion in the entrance. A drunk large homeless man came into the office asking where he can see a friend. 5 of us grabbed him and led him out the door. We locked the front door and the man banged on the window to let him in. Cops were called and it took 45 minutes for them to come. In that 45 minutes the man went into several other businesses and they called the cops.

We work in a shopping center in a neighborhood of million dollar homes next to an elementary school and the nearest bar is 2 to 3 miles away.

I am sorry that happened to you OP. Yes carry always
Casis Shopping Center in Tarrytown?
SW AG80
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

I honestly would love to hear a liberal defend this DA and the countless others like him around the country who have turned peaceful cities into third world hell-holes. How can you vote for these people in good conscience?
Cuz racism!! George Floyd, Breona Taylor and Michael Brown ring a bell? Jeez you people just don't get it!!!

Breona Taylor was a justified tragic outcome.
Michael Brown was absolutely a good shoot.
TresPuertas
AG
op_06 said:

Hungry Ojos said:

with all due respect, it isn't the only cure. there's a better and cheaper option for the tax payers
TxTarpon
How are the sights on it?
Naveronski
AG
5 pages, no pics, but someone who claims to have been there and totally seen it, believe me.

I bet they also put a zip tie on your muffler, too.
CSTXAg92
AG
Hammerly High Dive Crips said:

Liberalism kills. Start dehumanizing liberals in your mind. They are not like us. And if you live in any major metro area, start carrying. I could not believe what I saw in downtown LA a few months ago. I think that is the path just about every major city is on.
Youd are 100% correct. Just a matter of time.
oh no
AG
op_06 said:

Until folks start fearing consequences and repercussions, this stuff isn't going to slow down.
Thanks for posting, officer, but how the heck is this ever going to happen with the way DAs, judges, and police funding has been going in our cities lately?
op_06
AG
TresPuertas said:

with all due respect, it isn't the only cure. there's a better and cheaper option for the tax payers

It's the only cure for folks who aren't willing to accept help. I agree there are alternative solutions that get folks back on their feet and your present shouldn't be judged by your past. I deal with folks constantly who have grown up, had kids, and moved on. But they're still on gang file. I make it a point to let them know just so they're aware they need to act accordingly when around LEO to ensure that cop isn't judging them based on past mistakes.

The govt can't hold you down and force you to change/accept help. But the CJ system can. Want your felony cleared? Submit to rehab/anger management/therapy/pick your poison. Stop showing up and/or don't check off milestones in treatment? Off to jail you go for your original sentence. There needs to be a carrot dangled over one's head to encourage change since it only comes from within. When we worked dope cases/informants, Informants always went to jail on their charges. Encouraged them to work with us to work off their charges vs releasing them with the threat we'd get a warrant due to non- cooperation.

There are too many 10X felons running around who have spent more time behind bars than in public out reoffending. And soft on crime approach/anti-LEO sentiment from elected officials has emboldened criminals, resulted in more crime/more victims, and led the chickens home to roost in Austin.

And I'm not offended at the few posters who think I'm some dork LARPing as a cop. I don't need to defend myself or post pictures of the cop car in my driveway or my uniform. My goal when I first outed myself as a cop was just to shed some light behind the curtain and spread awareness of what the media/politicians don't want you to see.
op_06
AG
oh no said:

op_06 said:

Until folks start fearing consequences and repercussions, this stuff isn't going to slow down.
Thanks for posting, officer, but how the heck is this ever going to happen with the way DAs, judges, and police funding has been going in our cities lately?

Get out and vote. I'm not swaying your vote one way or the other. Just vote. And encourage your neighbor to vote. I think last stats I saw was somewhere around 10% of eligible austin voters actually voted? Could be off by a few points but numbers were abysmal. So the vocal minority are controlling the political landscape in the city.

Contact your representative to demand changes if you think change needs to be made. Regardless of your political leaning, your councilman is your representative and should act accordingly.
ArbAg
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

For those asking if he was carrying, at what point in the story would you have drawn your weapon?

The second he sensed crime or danger, you can't wait for obvious criminals to make the first move.
aggiehawg
AG
ArbAg said:

Hungry Ojos said:

The second he sensed crime or danger, you can't wait for obvious criminals to make the first move.
It is against the law to brandish a weapon in Texas.

Quote:

In Texas, unlawfully brandishing a weapon means that the weapon was displayed by a person in an illegal manner. These cases typically occur when a gun owner points a weapon at or shows a weapon to a person in a public place in an attempt to get the person's attention or cause the person to feel fear or alarm.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
TxTarpon said:

How are the sights on it?
I've got the glow-in-the-dark/night sights on it. My only complaint is I wish they were just a bit taller ( or maybe my eye sight is just not as good) but from a quick drawing perspective, I can see how that would be more of a hinderance.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
KRamp90 said:

From my Nextdoor, Great Hills area...

These guys took a package off my porch and checked my neighbor's mailbox. I followed them to the cul de sac where they were opening the mailbox on the west side of the circle. The driver got back in the car drove 50' and when he noticed I was following them, trying to get a license plate pic, he got out of the Cadillac and pointed a .45 at me. Police came to take my statement and while doing so a call came in that a guy in an office park by Academy on 183 surprised them going through his truck. They fired a round which hit the truck. Contact APD if you have any info or ring video of this vehicle with 2 black males in it; case #222410598.

Can you reply back that they were hispanic males, I posted a description earlier in the thread.
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

OP, I think we work in the same building off 183/McNeil (though, I've been remote the past three years). We received this email from the property manager yesterday afternoon:

"We wanted to inform you of an incident at the property today involving an attempted robbery with a weapon. Everyone is safe and APD doesn't believe this to be a targeted robbery at the building as the suspect was also seen attempting to steal packages off porches in the neighborhood. We are asking everyone in the building to remain vigilant and call 911 if you see any other suspicious activity. Today's incident involved an early 2000's gold Cadillac sedan with a big dent on the rear passenger side. If you see this vehicle, please call 911 immediately.

We do work in the same building.

Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Aston 91 said:

There aren't any other photos or videos on the Nextdoor post. I have attached a link to the post, but I think Nextdoor limits who can access it to those that live in the area so I doubt you'll be able to access it. I'll keep an eye on that thread and let you know if any other relevant information is shared.

https://nextdoor.com/p/kNL6MW6kqSfj?utm_source=share&extras=MTU0MDQyMjk%3D
Thanks Aston

Trump 2024
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
OP, I am glad you weren't shot. Your story is the epitome of the consequences of Democrats enabling homelessness, lawlessness, and chaos by defunding the police. That is not social justice that they claim they are for because it just means more crimes against law abiding citizens will go unpunished. In January 2019, I moved from Houston to Austin, and I have noticed how Austin is going down this **** hole.
schmellba99
AG
aggiehawg said:

ArbAg said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Quote:

In Texas, unlawfully brandishing a weapon means that the weapon was displayed by a person in an illegal manner. These cases typically occur when a gun owner points a weapon at or shows a weapon to a person in a public place in an attempt to get the person's attention or cause the person to feel fear or alarm.

If somebody is actively trying to gain access to your vehicle while you are there telling them to stop, it's not brandishing
ArbAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

ArbAg said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Quote:

Get real! No legitimate jury in Texas (except maybe the lunatics in Austin) is going to conflict sometime for drawing a weapon when he senses criminal danger - especially in today's circumstances!.
aggiehawg
AG
ArbAg said:

aggiehawg said:

ArbAg said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Quote:

Get real! No legitimate jury in Texas (except maybe the lunatics in Austin) is going to conflict sometime for drawing a weapon when he senses criminal danger - especially in today's circumstances!.
Fine. Was just correcting the record here. That statute was relevant to the shooting in Lubbock. But that happened at the shooter's home, so different rules applied.
Tramp96
Fightin_Aggie said:

AustinAg2012 said:

We do work in the same building.
25 years ago I lived in an apartment complex at Duval & 183, just one exit south of there. It wasn't the greatest place then (all I could afford on my own at the time), but I never felt unsafe.
op_06
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

KRamp90 said:

From my Nextdoor, Great Hills area...

These guys took a package off my porch and checked my neighbor's mailbox. I followed them to the cul de sac where they were opening the mailbox on the west side of the circle. The driver got back in the car drove 50' and when he noticed I was following them, trying to get a license plate pic, he got out of the Cadillac and pointed a .45 at me. Police came to take my statement and while doing so a call came in that a guy in an office park by Academy on 183 surprised them going through his truck. They fired a round which hit the truck. Contact APD if you have any info or ring video of this vehicle with 2 black males in it; case #222410598.

Can you reply back that they were hispanic males, I posted a description earlier in the thread.

Y'all gave different descriptions due to distance/adrenaline/memory but we've verified it's same dudes. The next door post seems so be from the first victim based on the statements in there. Biggest key will be IDing the vehicle which stands out like a sore thumb. We had those photos when on scene yesterday and they'll get disseminated internally. The guys do a great job behind the scenes to ID folks. Just takes leg work and some time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.