Brazil: okays murdering motorcycle gangs

18,065 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TxTarpon
Win Smith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Wow.

I'm all for standing up and defending yourself. But some of those look like outright murder of someone for the "crime" of riding a motorcycle.

Again, if you are being attacked, sure, run them down or shoot back.

But an earlier clip seems like a car just waiting for a bike to hit, and the last one, no way the car driver knew a crime had happened.

I wonder if some of these are gang vs. gang violence

Don't be so quick to judge. That car could have been parked just off screen, clearly seen a robbery taking place and come to the rescue.
Faustus
BCG Disciple said:

Has anyone double checked what the purported law actually is in the op? Because I'm not sure op is accurate. I'm guessing it's just a video of entertaining self defense type defenses and not an official policy.

You are correct, although I hate to link something called fact check. Just a viral video along with some misinformation.

https://telanganatoday.com/fact-check-claims-of-brazilian-government-permitting-civilians-to-kill-robbers-false
BQ_90
AG
aggiedata said:

Open Season on 2 men on a motorcycle

guys at the store act like its no big deal a gun fight just broke out.
CanyonAg77
AG
Regarding all the gun battles and armed robberies, here's what Wiki says about Brazilian gun laws:

Quote:

All guns must be waxed smooth

Kidding, here's the real entry

Quote:

In Brazil, all firearms are required to be registered with the minimum age for gun ownership being 25.[1] It is generally illegal to carry a gun outside a residence, and a special permit granting the right to do so is granted to certain groups, such as law enforcement officers.[2] For citizens to legally own a gun, they must have a gun license, which costs R$88,00[3] and pay a fee every ten years to renew the gun register.[4] The registration can be done online or in person with the Federal Police.[5] Until 2008, unregistered guns could be initially registered at no cost for the gun owner, the subsequent referring fee each decade would then apply.[6]

It is estimated that there are around 17 million firearms in Brazil,[7] 9 million of which are unregistered
Adverse Event
Sounds like "police don't see it, no crime"

So, whatever that means as far as legality goes.

I mean everything is legal, unless you get caught, or something.
Carioca Corredor
AG
What BrowndeerAggie said is absolutely correct about the daily dead motoboys. Its not a norm for westerners but they are allowed to "lane split." Sometimes, accidents happen. I lived in Rio and upon arrival had the gringo mindset like others have posted to not let them do that, open the car door, inch over. But that's the wrong mindset in other countries. Traffic is so bad that people get motos not only because of cost but to be efficient getting anywhere. While living there, Brasil was awesome but also had its challenges. The highs were high and the lows were low. Was happy to leave when we did. But miss our amigos tremendously.
TxTarpon
Favelas gonna favela

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.