The Vanishing Texas Panhandle population

34,118 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Spider69
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://usafacts.org/data/topics/people-society/population-and-demographics/our-changing-population/state/texas?endDate=2020-01-01&startDate=2010-01-01
black_ice
I lived in canyon for 2 years. Nice place.
Thaddeus73
AG
Great folks up there, but they are moving away in droves...
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Lived in Pampa for a stint when I started my career in oil and gas. I had lots of jobs I traveled to in the panhandle. Loved it but it was a husk of itself even when I was out there in 2013.
cbaker20
Interesting to read this as we have tons of new construction and increasing traffic in my corner of the panhandle. The little towns are definitely fading out though.
TequilaMockingbird
Meanwhile Midland and Odessa (Midland and Ector County) have grown by 70K people. Make it stop!
Thaddeus73
AG
Pretty soon there will be no Dairy Queens in the entire Texas Panhandle except for Amarillo and Lubbock...
fightingfarmer09
Amarillo and Canyon area is on fire.

Housing through the roof.

Major manufacturing moving in and the new Amazon logistics center moving in.

Not sure it is leading to more residents or just shuffling the existing ones, but I know hiring is very tough right now.
degreedy
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Meanwhile Midland and Odessa (Midland and Ector County) have grown by 70K people. Make it stop!

Not enough money in the world to make me live there….
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Well, at least we don't have all the Californians moving here.
CDUB98
AG
People are moving from the smaller towns to Amarillo and Canyon. Those cities are growing.
nortex97
AG
I always knew Amarillo would someday recover from LBJ's hatefulness.
techno-ag
AG
People move where the jobs are. There's not as many jobs in Cattlegap, TX.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

CDUB98
AG
nortex97 said:

It has taken a long time. The Air Force base coupled with the Texaco refinery put the city on life support.
B-1 83
AG
Dumas had greatly expanded since my last stay.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
CDUB98
AG
B-1 83 said:

Dumas had greatly expanded since my last stay.

Yup.

When I was visiting my family over July 4th, I met an iron worker from Michigan down in Palo Duro Canyon. They're building a new cheese manufacturing plant there.
Manhattan
You would think free 72oz steaks would attract people to the area.
B-1 83
AG
Woah….their supply chain will be interesting.
Hey Nav
AG
CDUB98
AG
B-1 83 said:

Taking with a grain of salt as he is just an iron worker, not privy to all project details, he said it was for the locals (Panhandle) cows.

Somebody did their homework, hopefully, and sees possibility.
CDUB98
AG
And you people ragging on The Panhandle can get bent. There are lots of good people up there just trying to make a living who are just as Texan as you.
Thaddeus73
AG
If I owned land in the Panhandle, I would be putting up solar panels left and right...
Thaddeus73
AG
DallasAg 94
fullback44
AG
People are leaving the Texas Panhandle for one reason - Tacos - per Jill Biden !
No Spin Ag
fullback44 said:

People are leaving the Texas Panhandle for one reason - Tacos - per Jill Biden !

Gotta say, you might be on to something, seeing as how that part of Texas isn't known for their local cuisine, or much actually, except....um... Okay, someone help on this one.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
B-1 83
AG
CDUB98 said:

B-1 83 said:

Taking with a grain of salt as he is just an iron worker, not privy to all project details, he said us was for the locals (Panhandle) cows.

Somebody did their homework, hopefully, and sees possibility.
My guess is milk out of New Mexico. Their nutrient management regulations (mainly phosphorus) can be more friendly than Texas.
theeyetest
My mom is from borger and my dads from stinnett. My grandma still lives in Amarillo along with most of my aunts. One of my aunts owns the Donut Stop chain in Amarillo.

We visit that's area about twice per year. Amarillo has really grown. But Stinnett and Borger are basically ghost towns of what they used to be.

My uncle is the GM of one of the feed lots in Dalhart and we stop there to visit them when we drive up to New Mexico. West Texas ain't what it used to be in the smaller towns.
fightingfarmer09
B-1 83 said:

The dairy industry is booming there. Massive expansion around the Amarillo/Hereford area. There are some of the national dairy groups moving entire operations to the Texas Panhandle.

Cheese factory is part of that. They are moving in so they control their own land vs contracting their silage. Sorghum Silage is also a major benefit in the area because they can produce their milk with less inputs and less water than before. As cotton falls out of favor they will continue to expand their footprint. Dry weather is also way better for the cows.

Huge win for the area.
ttu_85
TequilaMockingbird said:

Heard Biden did that with his executive orders. M/O has lost an estimated 9K of 350K since 2020.
neil88
AG
No Spin Ag said:

fullback44 said:

Gotta say, you might be on to something, seeing as how that part of Texas isn't known for their local cuisine, or much actually, except....um... Okay, someone help on this one.
except Cadillac Ranch...?
ttu_85
NPH- said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

Not enough money in the world to make me live there….
Great place to grow up. Water-balloons and bottlerockets and the cops could care less.
Gigem314
AG

"Of course I left out the panhandle...and a lot of people do..."
B-1 83
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

B-1 83 said:

The dairy industry is booming there. Massive expansion around the Amarillo/Hereford area. There are some of the national dairy groups moving entire operations to the Texas Panhandle.

Cheese factory is part of that. They are moving in so they control their own land vs contracting their silage. Sorghum Silage is also a major benefit in the area because they can produce their milk with less inputs and less water than before. As cotton falls out of favor they will continue to expand their footprint. Dry weather is also way better for the cows.

Huge win for the area.
Surprising considering the irrigation inputs and water issues.
Burdizzo
AG
nortex97 said:

Refresh my memory on LBJ and Amarillo.

NM. I looked it up. LBJ was such an ass

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.