Morbidly Obese is too offensive

6,179 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Urban Ag
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
annie88 said:

Queen Latifah apparently had a problem with this recently when a trainer told her she was morbidly obese. Kind of tried to push racism into it too.

However, Latifah and Pinkett Smith go on to point out that BMI is based on racial and societal biases, as it is calculated based on a person's height and weight. The "ideal" measurements do not factor in gender or ethnicity, as they are based on the body of a white European man in the mid-19th century.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/queen-latifah-obesity-red-table-talk-1235083420/amp/
I think I'm more offended that we are supposed to believe a 52 yr old overweight woman is some kind of badass to be feared in The Equalizer.
BQ78
AG
Impressive handstand, especially for one so weight challenged.
TexAgs91
AG
ProgN said:

Quote:

It comes after a separate team of researchers claimed the word obesity is racist and should be dropped in favour of 'people in larger bodies'.

Haven't the "researchers" outed themselves as mentally incompetent with this finding?
Fight! Fight! Fight!
black_ice
black_ice said:

https://media.self.com/photos/59d65d8274a834772329aa34/4:3/w_676,h_507,c_limit/Screen%20Shot%202017-10-05%20at%2012.27.05%20PM.png

Look at those fat little piglet toes
AgNav93
AG
Funny enough I was eating a sandwich while perusing this thread. I now have no appetite. Thanks to whoever posted those pics.
Cromagnum
AG
Let's cut through the B.S., there was no weight loss attempted.
TRADUCTOR
Fatties can't catch you, let the insults flow.
TxTarpon
On paper they may be Obese, but in reality they are hot and curvy.

----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Ag In Ok
AG
What if obesity was a white construct to absorb much needed nutrients and calories away from people of color during the 17th - 19th century in an effort to displace and eliminate indigenous communities around the world. It is the physical manifestation of ultimate white power to consume beyond ones humans need at the expense of others in need. Also, does it not then force this as the new power symbol to be modeled by all peoples, even those who are genetically disadvantaged to handle such gluttony? After all, gluttony is inherently a form of white power.
exp
AG
Woke researchers

Lol
tysker
AG
Cromagnum
AG
I don't know if you have looked around but POCs are by far heavier these days.
No Longer Subsribed
Try pleasingly plump.
bmc13
AG
Ag In Ok said:

What if obesity was a white construct to absorb much needed nutrients and calories away from people of color during the 17th - 19th century in an effort to displace and eliminate indigenous communities around the world. It is the physical manifestation of ultimate white power to consume beyond ones humans need at the expense of others in need. Also, does it not then force this as the new power symbol to be modeled by all peoples, even those who are genetically disadvantaged to handle such gluttony? After all, gluttony is inherently a form of white power.

work in something about the messed up food pyramid pushed on everyone and you might have something there
AggieMD95
AG
Sorry science says you are morbidly obese. Get over yourself
LegalDrugPusher
ProgN said:

Woke researchers call for term 'morbidly' obese to be banned because it's offensive | Daily Mail Online

Quote:

Calling the fattest category of people 'morbidly' obese is offensive, woke researchers said today.

And they urged doctors and scientists to stop referring to unsuccessful attempts to lose weight as 'failures'.

Terms used moving forward should include 'ineffective' or 'insufficient' weight loss, or even 'secondary weight regain'.

No specific suggestions were given to replace the phrase 'morbid', however severe is often used instead.

Critics today slammed the recommendation, published in a leading obesity journal, saying it was 'odd' given morbid obesity is a clinical term.

But industry experts agreed that 'less stigmatising' language was crucial in the battle against the bulge, saying 'words truly do matter'.

Joe Nadglowski, president of the Obesity Action Coalition, said: 'The old expression "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" doesn't apply for those living with obesity.'

It comes after a separate team of researchers claimed the word obesity is racist and should be dropped in favour of 'people in larger bodies'.
I'll just stick with the old reliable, "fat ass".

I will up you Fat F…
DannyDuberstein
AG
Your attempt at weight loss when you gained 20 pounds instead of losing 20 pounds was insufficient LOL. No, it was a failure. That was the right word.
oldcrow91
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

Your weight loss isn't a failure if you didn't try to lose weight.

As somebody who loves to eat, I've said many times,
you don't get fat without putting in the work.

So morbidly obese should be "super successful obesity".

M4 Benelli
Control the language, control the culture.
doubledog
Quote:

Sugar coating the terminology will not help the obese. Pun intended.
aggiejayrod
AG
doubledog said:

Quote:

if you sugar coat the language too much they'll try to eat it
Funky Winkerbean
AG
bmc13 said:

Ag In Ok said:

work in something about the messed up food pyramid pushed on everyone and you might have something there
Uh, the people who built the pyramids were not white. Helllloooo.
Betoisafurry
I prefer calling those people, "disgusting" instead. If you don't have any respect for yourself, why would I have any for you?
Fireman
AG
Ernest Tucker
AG
black_ice said:

If you had 5 slides of a normal woman morphing into a Hippo, that would be like slide 3.
Squadron7
AG
black_ice said:

Her pronouns are Fe/Fi/Fo/Fum.
Iowaggie
AG
"Person of Size" feels offended

kb2001
AG
The new words always end up with the same connotation, because it's the condition not the words that matter

In a few years, severely obese will be offensive

Crippled -> handicapped -> disabled -> physically challenged

None were offensive, but became so over time and new terms were created to replace them
carl spacklers hat
Wow, Sydney Watson had her own horror story version of "Fatso with Travel Scrabble."
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Cromagnum
AG
aggiejayrod said:

doubledog said:

Quote:

if you sugar coat the language too much they'll try to eat it

Urban Ag
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Wow, Sydney Watson had her own horror story version of "Fatso with Travel Scrabble."
six Heinekens please!!!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.