Morbidly Obese is too offensive

6,160 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Urban Ag
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woke researchers call for term 'morbidly' obese to be banned because it's offensive | Daily Mail Online

Quote:

Calling the fattest category of people 'morbidly' obese is offensive, woke researchers said today.

And they urged doctors and scientists to stop referring to unsuccessful attempts to lose weight as 'failures'.

Terms used moving forward should include 'ineffective' or 'insufficient' weight loss, or even 'secondary weight regain'.

No specific suggestions were given to replace the phrase 'morbid', however severe is often used instead.

Critics today slammed the recommendation, published in a leading obesity journal, saying it was 'odd' given morbid obesity is a clinical term.

But industry experts agreed that 'less stigmatising' language was crucial in the battle against the bulge, saying 'words truly do matter'.

Joe Nadglowski, president of the Obesity Action Coalition, said: 'The old expression "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" doesn't apply for those living with obesity.'

It comes after a separate team of researchers claimed the word obesity is racist and should be dropped in favour of 'people in larger bodies'.
I'll just stick with the old reliable, "fat ass".
Sea Speed
AG
I know we think the left has taken everything fun from us, but if we arent allowed to make fun of fat people, we truly have nothing left.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
BigRobSA
I'm morbidly obese, but.I'm not a giant poosay so call it like it is. Pansies.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Ginormus Ag
AG
Just use ginormusly obese. It's not offensive.
Username checks out.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is a scientific and clinical term not meant to be "offensive" but to indicate presence of serious or potentially deadly health consequences or conditions due to severe overweight.

If that's interpreted to be negative, it damn well should be.
Tom Doniphon
Quote:

That cuts deep...
Ginormus Ag
AG
Your weight loss isn't a failure if you didn't try to lose weight.
Username checks out.
aggrad02
AG
Morbid is a clinical term.

I agree from a psychological perspective that insufficient or ineffective could be better than failure in certain circumstances.

For instance if the patient followed guidelines given by a professional for losing weight and doesn't, that's ineffective.

If said person fails to follow the guidelines, that's a failure to control behavior and should be labeled as such.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Fat ass
goatchze
AG
BQ78
AG

"Insufficient Weight Loss, Danger Will Robinson."
ProgN
Tom Doniphon said:

Quote:

That cuts deep...
I hope you forgive me before football season. I don't want to be banned from your awesome tailgates.
Tom Doniphon
aggiedata
AG
Me tonight at dinner

"Good news! I'm not fat honey! Doc said I have secondary weight regain! …. Pass the gravy. "
CDUB98
AG
Yes, because that somehow makes a fatass less fatass.
Ginormus Ag
AG
A 60 inch waist? Oh to be young and fit like my high school days, again!
Username checks out.
93MarineHorn
The terms idiot and mentally ******ed were both legitimate descriptors used by doctors at one time. People never learn, changing the name doesn't change the condition.

Edit - See, even TexAgs won't let me use it.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
I've always preferred the term "fat ****"
black_ice
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
we are living in the movie Idiocracy and don't know it.
Jason C.
AG
"Bro I know five fat people and you are three of them."
ShaggySLC
black_ice said:

Looks like an All-American D-Lineman with those calves!
CDUB98
AG
ShaggySLC said:

black_ice said:

Looks like an All-American D-Lineman with those calves!

Except those calves are 90% Crisco.
black_ice
BigRobSA
ABATTBQ11 said:

Fat ass

You rang?
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Squadron7
AG
Remember, excess fat is only beautiful and healthy on a female.

Us guys with large Dad bods are disgusting.

Pookers
AG
Squadron7 said:

Remember, excess fat is only beautiful and healthy on a female.

Us guys with large Dad bods are disgusting.

All fat people are disgusting. Go for a walk and put down the ****ing oreos and Dr. Pepper people.
black_ice

?itok=7JrpYbMf

Houstonag
AG
Just like I would expect democrats (wokers, liberals, etc.) to want terms to be modified because if hurts their feelings. Well it is truthful. Most morbidly obese people are democrats. It is interesting to note the shoppers in HEB, Kroger, etc. that are driving around in these motorized carts to help them buy more sugar drinks, donuts, chips, etc. They are morbidly obese because of personal choices.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
How about Yuge or Yugely?
black_ice
https://media.self.com/photos/59d65d8274a834772329aa34/4:3/w_676,h_507,c_limit/Screen%20Shot%202017-10-05%20at%2012.27.05%20PM.png

LSB_2002
AG
FF everywhere these days! Piss on them!
annie88
AG
Queen Latifah apparently had a problem with this recently when a trainer told her she was morbidly obese. Kind of tried to push racism into it too.

However, Latifah and Pinkett Smith go on to point out that BMI is based on racial and societal biases, as it is calculated based on a person's height and weight. The "ideal" measurements do not factor in gender or ethnicity, as they are based on the body of a white European man in the mid-19th century.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/queen-latifah-obesity-red-table-talk-1235083420/amp/
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
DTP02
AG
Of all the clownshow socio-political developments in recent years, that there is somehow a pro-fat movement in the aftermath of a global pandemic that was much deadlier for fat people might be among the top 2-3 most infuriatingly ridiculous.

Being fat is bad for you. It's bad for our country because it hurts productivity and exponentially increases healthcare costs, especially federally-subsidized healthcare. The solution isn't to make being fat more acceptable, it's to have fat people lose some freaking weight.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.