Universities Push "Health Justice" to Eliminate "Fatphobia"

4,566 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
sleepybeagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

My dad ran when I was young. Back when only crazy old men in their underwear ran, before Cooper's Aerobics book even. My kids have seen me workout in some form all of their lives. As adults now, they all view exercise as a part of life.

The older I get I'm convinced that intentful, continual exercise is THE key to life.
The older I get the more I think it can be as simple as walking. The more you walk, the healthier you are.
Show me someone who walks everyday several miles in all kind of weather - and I'll show you someone who is healthy.
TAMU1990
AG
Again, this is about dorks and the mentally fragile trying to exact revenge on normal people. So transparent.
NoahAg
doubledog said:

"Black women in the United States are disproportionately affected by obesity, with almost two-thirds considered obese based on body mass index."

Think about the target audience...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3804270/

Having visited Schlitterbaun Galveston recently I can attest to this.
Goodness.
Let's go, Brandon!
Capitol Ag
AG
Look, moving and exercise help. But the MAIN way to lose weight is to have a calorie deficit. And yes, some people have a body type that makes them gain mass (tissue) easier. It can be fat and it can be muscle. And, the more muscle one gains, the easier one can lose fat and or maintain a certain weight, if they eat accordingly. One cannot use cardio to make up for a bad diet.

What all of us need to do better is count our macros and have a purpose for the diet we have and an awareness of what we are eating. One can enjoy some of the foods we love that might not be the healthiest choice in moderation. But limits need to be placed and an awareness of how one knows they will react if they have this food. For some it can be very hard to just eat one of something. By knowing this, it helps people avoid it.

I get it is hard. People become obese through a long time period of decisions that lead to that obesity. My issue with this woke notion of fatphobia is that it does a major disservice to those fighting real weight problems and potentially leads to worsening health issues and eventually death.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Since leaving the Army in August 2011, I have stayed fit. I ran the 2022 Austin Marathon in 3:55:21 on 2/20/22 and 8 half marathons before that. Besides running, I swim, bike, or lift weights. Even when fitness centers, such as 24 Hour Fitness, were closed for a good portion of 2020, I found other ways to exercise by running, hiking, and walking.

I understand that it can be difficult to find time to exercise and maintain a healthy diet, but obesity or overweight is the consequence of years of poor choices. The universities' push of "Health Justice" to eliminate "Fatphobia" does a major disservice to people, who are battling to lose weight and keep it off. Also, if these universities truly cared about "Health Justice", then they would encourage people to get at least 120 minutes of physical activity per week, eat balanced meals, and consume sugar in moderation.
agent-maroon
AG
The next time somebody's O2 sats drop like a stone upon induction of a general anesthetic, I'll be careful to remind myself that it's because of fatphobia & bigotry and NOT because they're a ginormous tub of goo
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JamesBREI06
AG
Anyone that uses the term "Latinx"
Ol_Ag_02
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

BluHorseShu said:

aTmAg said:

It's not that I'm afraid of fat people. It's that they disgust me.
It's a good thing no one here has an overweight wife or daughter.

My wife and I both work out hours per week, we encourage our children to exercise and provide them opportunities to do so. The best thing we can do for them is to show them good habits; i.e. exercise is important and it's something both mom and dad do regularly.

Fat kids almost always have fat parents. Quit being a crappy parent and be a better example for your kids.

My wife and I run marathons and our kids follow our example. I was speaking in general and not about my own situation. My point was about calling out people as disgusting. The term "fat" is very subjective and often used as a perjorative when someone finds a person unattractive and is looking for a physical deficiency. But your comment about parents being crappy if their kids are overweight explains a lot. My son was very thin until he was 8 and then a few years of definitely looking chubby, and then lost it all and now he's 17 , 6ft and very thin. Guess I must have been a crappy parent during those pudgy years.

When your kid is 8 he, for the most part, can only eat the food you buy, HTH.

What does my comment explain, exactly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.