Universities Push "Health Justice" to Eliminate "Fatphobia"

4,563 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BluHorseShu said:

aTmAg said:

It's not that I'm afraid of fat people. It's that they disgust me.
It's a good thing no one here has an overweight wife or daughter.

This is the internet. We all date, marry, and produce models.
SunrayAg
AG
Liberalism is mental illness.
GeorgiAg
AG
oops, pic had a f word in it
Burdizzo
AG
IIIHorn said:

What do they expect to gain by this?

I would like to add lb3 to this conversation.

Heck, let's add lots of lbs.
Burdizzo
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

"Health justice" is becoming a new woke agenda item in universities across the country, as progressive academics try to eliminate "fatphobia," or the cultural stigmatization of obesity, including scrapping the word "obesity" itself.

The University of Illinois Chicago's school of public health defines weight stigma as "the discrimination or stereotyping based on a person's weight," which it claims is "reported at rates comparable to racism and is one of the last types of discrimination still condoned and carried out by public health and medical experts."

"The incidence of weight stigma has increased by 66 percent with the rise of public health campaigns to end the 'obesity epidemic,'" the school says.

The school released a policy brief in October called, "Addressing weight stigma and fatphobia in public health," which said the country's focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin, and it advised against using "extremely stigmatizing" words like "obesity" in favor of terms such as "people in larger bodies."

"Though lifestyle factors such as nutrition and exercise are important, it is essential to note the historical racism and injustices within our current food environment," the brief said. "As presented by Soul Fire Farm, the U.S. food system is built on stolen land using stolen labor from Black and Latinx indigenous people. Not only has this created a large scale food apartheid and trauma for people indigenous to this land, it has caused a disconnection of indigenous people from their cultural practices and identities."

Remember when Michelle Obama was trying overhaul the school lunch program with healthier foods and we all mocked her?
GeorgiAg
AG
Capitol Ag
AG

The entire fat phobia movement is as much if not more about not wanting to take responsibility for one's choices as much as it is about "acceptance". Is it hard to lose weight? Yes. But being overweight or obese is proven to be unhealthy. There is even a movement called "anti-diet" community....read this!

Quote:

Hi All,
I am about 3.5 years in to my antidiet journey. I have gotten significantly larger through recovery but plateaued about 2 years ago at (what I am assuming to be) my body's happy place. I am definitely a much healthier and happier human than I was during my 15-20 years in the diet-culture cult.
Where I am struggling is feeling good in my skin, feeling attractive and desirable without the need for outside validation. Most days I have a pretty good hang on body neutrality but I also have some really rough days/weeks of feeling horrible about my body.
Where it impacts me the most is in my relationship. My partner is incredibly supportive of my recovery. He is complementary and loving. We have a healthy relationship (thank you recovery).
And...he is a thinner man, conventionally attractive, a good communicator and overall has his life "together" etc. So, when my bad body image days take hold, the dark road I go down is incredibly painful to us both. He handles it like a champ and reassures me, but that reassurance only comforts me for a fleeting time.
I get gripped by thoughts of what he "must actually" think about my body, that he "must" want to have an affair with a thin woman, that one day he will "surely" wake up and realize he could have a "hot" wife and will proceed to leave me and go get one.
Now, I know this is diet culture programming along with trauma responses from past relationships. I know, logically, that there is no evidence to support these fears in this relationship. But, when these thoughts take hold, I start to spiral hard.
My questions are these:
[ol]
  • How do you survive or even thrive through these types of thoughts? I never go into diet behavior but I am getting exhausted by the level of fear and pain they cause me.
  • How do you work towards actually feeling good in your skin, feeling attractive and worthy? I KNOW I am worthy, but when these bad days come, I feel in my bones that I am not.
  • [/ol]I do work with a HAES therapist and she is a huge support. I would just really love to hear some real life experiences and wins of how you may have overcome or improved this in your journey.
    Thanks all
    Hey, accepting your body is one thing. Forcing others to "accept" your body is another. Living unhealthy is also another. Also, these people never consider the fact that we evolved to like a certain, healthier, body type. It varies between individuals but overall among our species, there is a (range) sweet spot and if one is over weight or obese, they will fall out of that sweet spot range. It's up to you to feel attractive in your own skin. But perhaps losing weight actually is a great place to start.
    MouthBQ98
    AG
    Kelly Clarkson, is that you?
    Ol_Ag_02
    AG
    BluHorseShu said:

aTmAg said:

My wife and I both work out hours per week, we encourage our children to exercise and provide them opportunities to do so. The best thing we can do for them is to show them good habits; i.e. exercise is important and it's something both mom and dad do regularly.

Fat kids almost always have fat parents. Quit being a crappy parent and be a better example for your kids.

zoneag
    tk111 said:

lol that last paragraph. They absolutely overloaded their plate with all of the words from the woke salad bar

Not sure if woke "salad bar" is the right terminology. Maybe the woke "chimichanga bar" is more appropriate?
    IIIHorn

Mass transit
    BusterAg
    AG
    How bout smokerphobia? Cigarettes are more addictive than food. Why should we hold people's addictions against them?

Discriminating based on smoking status for health or life insurance should be a crime.
    mulch
    AG
    Thankfully Covid vaporized a lot of the fats.

It's called evolution. Survival of the fittest.

Unfortunately the media won't report that being massively overweight is a direct line to Covid death.

So now we have to coddle the ones that remain
    BadMoonRisin
    AG
    mulch said:

Unfortunately the media won't report that being massively overweight is a direct line to Covid death.

Actually, they were doing both.

Remember all those sad headlines being reported about "perfectly healthy" 16 year olds dying of covid, and then when you click the link it shows a picture of a 300+ lb 5 foot 1 person with an oxygen mask on?

And of course the family would go on and on saying that they were perfectly healthy except for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. clearly 3 or 4 co-morbidities.

Im not mocking or taking joy in the death of any person, old or young, but this type of reporting was not only rampant, it's completely dishonest.

Bury the lede that "obesity puts you at risk for covid" under the headline that makes you think healthy kids are dying of COVID, so be afraid, stay in your house, and wear a mask!
    tysker
    AG
    Bring back smoking cigarettes. Kills you faster than obesity. Plus it makes you look much cooler.
    Keller6Ag91
    AG
    Rapier108 said:

Quote:

"Health justice" is becoming a new woke agenda item in universities across the country, as progressive academics try to eliminate "fatphobia," or the cultural stigmatization of obesity, including scrapping the word "obesity" itself.

The University of Illinois Chicago's school of public health defines weight stigma as "the discrimination or stereotyping based on a person's weight," which it claims is "reported at rates comparable to racism and is one of the last types of discrimination still condoned and carried out by public health and medical experts."

"The incidence of weight stigma has increased by 66 percent with the rise of public health campaigns to end the 'obesity epidemic,'" the school says.

The school released a policy brief in October called, "Addressing weight stigma and fatphobia in public health," which said the country's focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin, and it advised against using "extremely stigmatizing" words like "obesity" in favor of terms such as "people in larger bodies."

"Though lifestyle factors such as nutrition and exercise are important, it is essential to note the historical racism and injustices within our current food environment," the brief said. "As presented by Soul Fire Farm, the U.S. food system is built on stolen land using stolen labor from Black and Latinx indigenous people. Not only has this created a large scale food apartheid and trauma for people indigenous to this land, it has caused a disconnection of indigenous people from their cultural practices and identities."

We just went through a COVID pandemic where one of the most significant bellweathers to immuno-health was obesity, and we're trying to lessen the stigma of being unhealthy?

Sheesh. Wisdom takes another hit for the sake of not hurting someone's feelings.
    Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
    Capitol Ag
    AG
    MouthBQ98 said:

Kelly Clarkson, is that you?
    Ya. I mean reading that post about "recovering" by GAINING weight. Its a Bizzaro World post.

This whole movement is going to die eventually, though as we can see there is some support at least. I do see it becoming a reason for lawsuits/discrimination accusations and obviously the hope is that they make themselves a protected group. And as a protected group they hope to either make money in lawsuits or protect their career or jobs by threatening lawsuit every time they get crossways in any way with their employer....

How long until we see a lawsuit brought against a thin or fit person b/c they wouldn't date an overweight person? I mean, why not?
    IMnAg79
    AG

tysker
    AG
    Quote:

How long until we see a lawsuit brought against a thin or fit person b/c they wouldn't date an overweight person? I mean, why not?
    I can't weight
    geoag58
    AG
    There is a crying need to teach traditional American value justice.

If that is a no go then there needs to be a no more social justice justice.

Our culture is going down the tubes and we are ALL standing around with our thumbs in our @$$es
    cecil77
    AG
    Start with kid's sports.

If they're old enough to play on a team, they're old enough to lose games.

If they're too young to lose games. they're too young to be on a team.
    EMY92
    AG
    tk111 said:

lol that last paragraph. They absolutely overloaded their plate with all of the words from the woke salad bar buffet line
    FIFY - There's no salad going on there.

Even though I'm anti-salad, I'm still thin and actually weigh less than when I graduated. I did try to eat a little better last year, but dropped 13 pounds. I do not need to drop weight, so I added ice cream and pizza back to the diet.
    HoustonAg2106
    AG
    Keller6Ag91 said:

Rapier108 said:

Quote:

We just went through a COVID pandemic where one of the most significant bellweathers to immuno-health was obesity, and we're trying to lessen the stigma of being unhealthy?

Sheesh. Wisdom takes another hit for the sake of not hurting someone's feelings.
    It's just the latest attempt to lower the human population (abortion, homosexual grooming, baby formula shortage, releasing violent criminals, unproven vaccinations, and now fatphobia...did I leave anything out?)
    Junction71
    AG
    Somebody questioned an immigrant on why he wanted to come to America?

His reply: "because all the poor people are fat."
    Deplorable
    This thread is fixing to find out how many texags mods are "people in large bodies"!
    cecil77
    AG
    Junction71 said:

Somebody questioned an immigrant on why he wanted to come to America?

His reply: "because all the poor people are fat."

1988 POTUS primaries Phill Graham famously said that... "Ours is the first society in history whose poor people are fat."

He was correct and was excoriated for it.
    tysker
    AG
    mulch said:

Phatbob
    AG
    Rapier108 said:

Quote:

This was most definitely created through Mad Libs... one way or the other....
    UTExan
    The health services disciplines need to be honest with today's Americans and tell them:

1.) smoking marijuana is not as bad as many would have you believe, but it can damage neural functions in heavy usage younger smokers and its combustion byproducts are like those of tobacco.

2.) anal sex is very bad for the body and the transmission of STIs is high among the male gay population because of it.

3.) eating fat-rich, carb-heavy diets is very bad for you when you have a rich variety of alternatives available. If you're fat, a simple hamburger patty with Lima beans mashed sweet potatoes and salad are your friends. That doesn't even go into the wonderful things you can create with ground turkey, like my healthy Texas truck stop chili.
    It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
    “ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
    BluHorseShu
    AG
    backintexas2013 said:

BluHorseShu said:

aTmAg said:

So what if they do? It's not like they don't know they are fat and need to get healthy.
    So that makes them disgusting? I think you've missed my point, but thanks for supporting it
    backintexas2013
    AG
    I wouldn't say disgusting as much as lazy and lack willpower. Disgusting is in the eye of the beholder.
    BluHorseShu
    AG
    Ol_Ag_02 said:

BluHorseShu said:

aTmAg said:

My wife and I both work out hours per week, we encourage our children to exercise and provide them opportunities to do so. The best thing we can do for them is to show them good habits; i.e. exercise is important and it's something both mom and dad do regularly.

Fat kids almost always have fat parents. Quit being a crappy parent and be a better example for your kids.

My wife and I run marathons and our kids follow our example. I was speaking in general and not about my own situation. My point was about calling out people as disgusting. The term "fat" is very subjective and often used as a perjorative when someone finds a person unattractive and is looking for a physical deficiency. But your comment about parents being crappy if their kids are overweight explains a lot. My son was very thin until he was 8 and then a few years of definitely looking chubby, and then lost it all and now he's 17 , 6ft and very thin. Guess I must have been a crappy parent during those pudgy years.
    black_ice
    BigRobSA said:

I'm fat.

This is dumb as hell. We need more shaming, and bullying, not less. We're raising a generation of poosays.

My son: "Dad, some boy at school called me a name."

Me: "You'll be alright. Did you punch him in his stupid face?"

Son: "No, my teacher said for him to stop it. He didn't. Then the teacher took away some points...."

Me: "You catch that little mofo slippin', and you plant his ass with a right cross. He'll think twice before messing with you again"

Damn str8. Yo son need to beat that ass!!!!
    cecil77
    AG
    My dad ran when I was young. Back when only crazy old men in their underwear ran, before Cooper's Aerobics book even. My kids have seen me workout in some form all of their lives. As adults now, they all view exercise as a part of life.

The older I get I'm convinced that intentful, continual exercise is THE key to life.
    A_Gang_Ag_06
    AG
    Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.