Universities Push "Health Justice" to Eliminate "Fatphobia"

4,543 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

"Health justice" is becoming a new woke agenda item in universities across the country, as progressive academics try to eliminate "fatphobia," or the cultural stigmatization of obesity, including scrapping the word "obesity" itself.

The University of Illinois Chicago's school of public health defines weight stigma as "the discrimination or stereotyping based on a person's weight," which it claims is "reported at rates comparable to racism and is one of the last types of discrimination still condoned and carried out by public health and medical experts."

"The incidence of weight stigma has increased by 66 percent with the rise of public health campaigns to end the 'obesity epidemic,'" the school says.

The school released a policy brief in October called, "Addressing weight stigma and fatphobia in public health," which said the country's focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin, and it advised against using "extremely stigmatizing" words like "obesity" in favor of terms such as "people in larger bodies."

"Though lifestyle factors such as nutrition and exercise are important, it is essential to note the historical racism and injustices within our current food environment," the brief said. "As presented by Soul Fire Farm, the U.S. food system is built on stolen land using stolen labor from Black and Latinx indigenous people. Not only has this created a large scale food apartheid and trauma for people indigenous to this land, it has caused a disconnection of indigenous people from their cultural practices and identities."
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
aTmAg
AG
It's not that I'm afraid of fat people. It's that they disgust me.
1872walker
Put the bag of Cheetos down, fatty.
Quito
AG

IIIHorn

What do they expect to gain by this?
1872walker
IIIHorn said:

Pounds
Ag87H2O
AG

Well, they found another way to divide Americans.
Hungry Ojos
"Flamin' Hot" isn't a food group San Antonio.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
IIIHorn said:

Government grant dollars mostly, but more woke parents willing to shell out $80+K/year would be a plus, too.
BigRobSA
I'm fat.

This is dumb as hell. We need more shaming, and bullying, not less. We're raising a generation of poosays.

My son: "Dad, some boy at school called me a name."

Me: "You'll be alright. Did you punch him in his stupid face?"

Son: "No, my teacher said for him to stop it. He didn't. Then the teacher took away some points...."

Me: "You catch that little mofo slippin', and you plant his ass with a right cross. He'll think twice before messing with you again"
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm tired of paying for the socialized costs of their largely avoidable diseases and health problems for decades.

If you want your blood type to be cottage cheese, you foot the bill.
TxTarpon
That other thread about the upcoming massive food shortages should straighten this all out.

doubledog
"Black women in the United States are disproportionately affected by obesity, with almost two-thirds considered obese based on body mass index."

Think about the target audience...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3804270/

CheeseSndwch
Hogging
Quito
AG
I tell my kids to tell the kid to stop bothering them. If the kid doesn't stop, tell the teacher.

If they don't stop after telling the teacher, then do whatever it takes to get them to stop and tell the teacher you had to take care of the problem since she wouldn't.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

"which said the country's focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin,"

Aggie95
AG
It's as if they learned NOTHING from covid deaths....if that doesn't "scare" them into better health, I have very little sympathy. Mix in a salad!
Ghost Mech
The root of the problem is that it takes hard work and discipline staying fit and thin. Getting and staying fat doesn't take much effort.....
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
I was showing my daughter YouTube clips of shows I watched as a kid on Nickelodeon. Dennis the Menace, Mr. Ed, Lassie, Flipper, etc. it hit me halfway through that there was not one fat person on the shows. It's incredible. What was considered a normal diet in yesterday's world is now considered "eating healthy." You ate a home cooked meal and fresh food because that was what was available, not prepackaged garbage out of a box that you binge eat.
I am always wrong
I believe in health justice too. People suffer the biological consequences of their own health choices. And unfortunately for leftists, this is not something that can be cheated or propagandized. If you make poor health choices, you will suffer consequences, period.

It's funny looking at the big picture of everything that the left pushes in America. If all men in this country were to completely buy in, we would all be fat, gay, feminized ******* who abort our children and are scared of standing up and defending ourselves. Gee, it's almost like some other nation or outside actor with an interest in weakening our population is manufacturing all of this.
Tex117
AG
"I need to justify the grant to my department for my graduate degree."
Deputy Travis Junior
Rapier108 said:

"Though lifestyle factors such as nutrition and exercise are important, it is essential to note the historical racism and injustices within our current food environment," the brief said. "As presented by Soul Fire Farm, the U.S. food system is built on stolen land using stolen labor from Black and Latinx indigenous people. Not only has this created a large scale food apartheid and trauma for people indigenous to this land, it has caused a disconnection of indigenous people from their cultural practices and identities."

How TF do you even respond to this? WTF is food apartheid?

I gotta stop reading this board. The bazillions of examples of insanity are raising my blood pressure.
Cromagnum
AG
If your blood type is one if the following, you need to sit this one out and go run some laps until the fat wears off.

Arby's
Blimpie
Awesome Burger
Oreo
BAP Enthusiast
IIIHorn said:

They will pay a heavy price for doing this.
Buying_time
AG
The liberal victimhood grifters are at it again.

Oh by the way, covid death rates were higher in folks that were obese. Remember the outcry about health disparities with no personal accountability.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

Snip:

"Obesity Worsens Outcomes from COVID-19
Adults with excess weight are at even greater risk during the COVID-19 pandemic:

Having obesity increases the risk of severe illness from COVID-19. People who are overweight may also be at increased risk.

Having obesity may triple the risk of hospitalization due to a COVID-19 infection.

Obesity is linked to impaired immune function.

Obesity decreases lung capacity and reserve and can make ventilation more difficult.

A study of COVID-19 cases suggests that risks of hospitalization, intensive care unit admission, invasive mechanical ventilation, and death are higher with increasing BMI.

The increased risk for hospitalization or death was particularly pronounced in those under age 65.

More than 900,000 adult COVID-19 hospitalizations occurred in the United States between the beginning of the pandemic and November 18, 2020. Models estimate that 271,800 (30.2%) of these hospitalizations were attributed to obesity.

Children diagnosed with obesity may suffer worse outcomes from COVID-19. In a study of COVID-19 cases in patients aged 18 years and younger, having obesity was associated with a 3.07 times higher risk of hospitalization and a 1.42 times higher risk of severe illness (intensive care unit admission, invasive mechanical"

The liberals and their hypocrisy are spinning again trying to normalize being overweight. They are chasing so many victims to save, their victims create conflicting messages. Overweight is good, health care disparities cause excessive deaths on and on. If they would stay with a consistent message - personal responsibility and do your best to take care of yourself, the country would be in a better place.
Owlagdad
Didn't liberals want to cure obesity a few years back? Now they want to fatten them up?
BluHorseShu
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

"Health justice" is becoming a new woke agenda item in universities across the country, as progressive academics try to eliminate "fatphobia," or the cultural stigmatization of obesity, including scrapping the word "obesity" itself.

The University of Illinois Chicago's school of public health defines weight stigma as "the discrimination or stereotyping based on a person's weight," which it claims is "reported at rates comparable to racism and is one of the last types of discrimination still condoned and carried out by public health and medical experts."

"The incidence of weight stigma has increased by 66 percent with the rise of public health campaigns to end the 'obesity epidemic,'" the school says.

The school released a policy brief in October called, "Addressing weight stigma and fatphobia in public health," which said the country's focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin, and it advised against using "extremely stigmatizing" words like "obesity" in favor of terms such as "people in larger bodies."

So this is prevalent at most universities or at least a large segment across the country? Or just Chicago?
BluHorseShu
AG
aTmAg said:

It's a good thing no one here has an overweight wife or daughter.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
BaileyAg
AG
BigRobSA said:

I'm fat.

This is dumb as hell. We need more shaming, and bullying, not less. We're raising a generation of poosays.

My son: "Dad, some boy at school called me a name."

Me: "You'll be alright. Did you punch him in his stupid face?"

Son: "No, my teacher said for him to stop it. He didn't. Then the teacher took away some points...."

Me: "You catch that little mofo slippin', and you plant his ass with a right cross. He'll think twice before messing with you again"

Lol, i love it
IMnAg79
AG

tk111
AG
lol that last paragraph. They absolutely overloaded their plate with all of the words from the woke salad bar
Showertime at the Bidens

It's just a mask, We're All in This Together.

It's just eating a little less, We're All in This Together.

GeorgiAg
AG
backintexas2013
AG
BluHorseShu said:

aTmAg said:

It's a good thing no one here has an overweight wife or daughter.

So what if they do? It's not like they don't know they are fat and need to get healthy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.