I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.

336,025 Views | 6115 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Kansas Kid
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had to double check this wasn't four seasons landscaping.
torrid
AG
nortex97 said:

Had to double check this wasn't four seasons landscaping.
I have a side business painting houses.
nortex97
AG
Driving an EV 100 miles is now more expensive than an ICE.

No, not an internal evil Exxon Mobil memo, a headline at jalopnik.

Quote:

AEG founder Patrick Anderson stated, "The run-up in gas prices made EVs look like a bargain during much of 2021 and 2022. With electric prices going up and gas prices declining, drivers of traditional ICE vehicles saved a little bit of money in the last quarter of 2022."

There were several factors AEG used in determining that owning an electric vehicle was more expensive, like home charging equipment costs, road taxes and deadhead miles. ICE-powered car owners have gas purchases taxed to fund road construction and maintenance. While EV owners don't pay a gas tax, some states have introduced an additional EV registration fee to compensate.

The massive increase in the report for charging station users versus home chargers is accounted for by the deadhead miles to reach stations and the opportunity cost of waiting for vehicles to charge at stations. The difference highlights the lackluster coverage for electric vehicle charging infrastructure across the United States.
Hint; this is the plan, long term, for BEV's. Limit the mobility of the masses.
Teslag
AG
I would never own an electric vehicle if charging at home weren't an option. With that said, a home charger is about $300 for materials and install for anyone capable of installing a ceiling fan.
nortex97
AG
If you say so. I have a bit of electrical training and won't do it, myself, but to each his own.

I also would note that prior to considering putting one in my driveway I'd want to make sure I had a few thousand gallons of water on hand in case this happened. I mean, I think I have enough in the pool but I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it around and into the back yard/pool itself, particularly while engulfed in flames.

But, hey, in metro Sacramento, clearly the FD there knows how to handle this sort of stuff.
fka ftc
When people post like this on a public forum, I think there should be direct legal liability for the poster giving incredibly bad and dangerous advice.

There is a reason there are codes, standards, licensing, training, permitting etc when doing such work.

Swapping a receptacle, switch, ceiling fan etc is drastically different then messing with high voltages and amperages and working on your own service panel is monumentally dumb unless properly trained.

And I will admit to flagging Teslags post for violating the law. Whilst maybe not technically against the law in his Hundred Acre Woods, it is in most all jurisdictions.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
slaughtr
AG
nortex97 said:

Driving an EV 100 miles is now more expensive than an ICE.

No, not an internal evil Exxon Mobil memo, a headline at jalopnik.

Quote:

AEG founder Patrick Anderson stated, "The run-up in gas prices made EVs look like a bargain during much of 2021 and 2022. With electric prices going up and gas prices declining, drivers of traditional ICE vehicles saved a little bit of money in the last quarter of 2022."

There were several factors AEG used in determining that owning an electric vehicle was more expensive, like home charging equipment costs, road taxes and deadhead miles. ICE-powered car owners have gas purchases taxed to fund road construction and maintenance. While EV owners don't pay a gas tax, some states have introduced an additional EV registration fee to compensate.

The massive increase in the report for charging station users versus home chargers is accounted for by the deadhead miles to reach stations and the opportunity cost of waiting for vehicles to charge at stations. The difference highlights the lackluster coverage for electric vehicle charging infrastructure across the United States.
Hint; this is the plan, long term, for BEV's. Limit the mobility of the masses.
Not that you will listen, but I pay less than 10 cents per kilowatt hour to charge my car at home. About $8 to fully charge my car that has a 290 mile range. The cost of $11 per 100 miles of driving listed in that article is ridiculous.
Teslag
AG
fka ftc said:

When people post like this on a public forum, I think there should be direct legal liability for the poster giving incredibly bad and dangerous advice.

There is a reason there are codes, standards, licensing, training, permitting etc when doing such work.

Swapping a receptacle, switch, ceiling fan etc is drastically different then messing with high voltages and amperages and working on your own service panel is monumentally dumb unless properly trained.

And I will admit to flagging Teslags post for violating the law. Whilst maybe not technically against the law in his Hundred Acre Woods, it is in most all jurisdictions.

I have violated no law by installing my own 240v / 60 amp breaker and associated circuit in my own. And many other people wouldn't either, basically any of the millions of people living in rural areas or smaller towns in America. There are also numerous threads on the Texags home improvement board where advice is given to do many DIY things that would otherwise violate a city ordinance.
fka ftc
Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

I have violated no law by installing my own 240v / 60 amp breaker and associated circuit in my own. And many other people wouldn't either, basically any of the millions of people living in rural areas or smaller towns in America. There are also numerous threads on the Texags home improvement board where advice is given to do many DIY things that would otherwise violate a city ordinance.
Great, First good ag that lexicutes himself is on you.

I just want to make sure I have notes to give to your insurance carrier when your house burns down.

And quit telling people to do unsafe things. May be funny to you, but not many else.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Teslag
AG
It is perfect safe to do and I advise anyone to do whatever they feel comfortable with. It's a simple circuit and YouTube is full of videos outlining the procedure and doesn't violate any laws so it doesn't violate terms of service.

If a bunch of liberal neck beards on the Tesla forum can do it then anyone can. Well anyone capable of basic diy that is.
TXAGGIE10
Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

You pull a permit?
cecil77
AG
LOL, some of us live outside municipalities...

Permits? We don't need no stinking permits!
harleyds2
AG
why would any self respecting DIY guy pull a permit. especially for something that simple
Manhattan
fka ftc said:

lol.
Quote:

This is in direct contradiction to your first two paragraphs. Your likelihood of killing yourself or burning down your house is is the same, well probably greater for a fan as that involves a ladder.

many jurisdictions require a permit for all of those things you listed.
Teslag
AG
TXAGGIE10 said:

Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

You pull a permit?

Of course not
Teslag
AG
cecil77 said:

Yep, I live in the county. My permit is my comfort level.
TXAGGIE10
Teslag said:

cecil77 said:

Yep, I live in the county. My permit is my comfort level.
10-4, Living outside a municipality.
BluHorseShu
AG
Manhattan said:

fka ftc said:

lol.
Quote:

This is in direct contradiction to your first two paragraphs. Your likelihood of killing yourself or burning down your house is is the same, well probably greater for a fan as that involves a ladder.

The irony of the PSA posted is that more people on F16 are more likely to shoot themselves by accident than kill themselves from an electrical accident. I'd wager people are much more aware of their electrical skill limitations than their ability to safely handle a fire arm
Manhattan
…I've never been muzzle swept by a lib.
Sq 17
Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

Read the fine print on your Home Owners policy possibly being your own electrician is not allowed
fka ftc
Manhattan said:

fka ftc said:

lol.
Quote:

Quite possibly the most non researched, mentally competent post I have seen in long time.

You know damn good and well you do NOT need permits when changing ceiling fan or swapping out a receptacle.

Running electrical wire in most all municipalities and in many counties will require a permit or at least a licensed electrician perform the work.

And messing with different voltages and amperages absolutely matters. You can check by sticking your tongue on a 9v battery vs into a 220 dryer plug. Let us know if it makes a difference.

Fightin_Aggie
AG
TXAGGIE10 said:

Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

You pull a permit?
He lives in the woods, no city
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Read the fine print on your Home Owners policy possibly being your own electrician is not allowed
Insurance companies don't make laws. They only decide when they won't pay.
Teslag
AG
Sq 17 said:

Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

Then I'm glad I did it all to code.
fka ftc
Sq 17 said:

Teslag said:

fka ftc said:

Teslag does not care. He would rather measure his electrical willy then admit having a licensed electrician to install a battery charge would be a good idea.

Not to derail, but Teslag probably doesn't pull permits for water heaters either. That may cost him next time he sells his house (or when it burns down from his do it meeself electrical work).

Kids, don't play with electricity. And never, ever listen to Teslag regarding EVs and vaccines either. Oft wrong and never self aware.

Manhattan
You can't shock yourself with 240 unless you grab both hots…
Fightin_Aggie
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Manhattan said:

fka ftc said:

lol.
Quote:

The irony of the PSA posted is that more people on F16 are more likely to shoot themselves by accident than kill themselves from an electrical accident. I'd wager people are much more aware of their electrical skill limitations than their ability to safely handle a fire arm
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Manhattan
fka ftc said:

Kids, don't play with electricity.

Except for ceiling fans? That have the same voltage at each terminal as an EVSE…
Manhattan
In the city of Houston, if you replace a receptacle, they want you to pull a permit and bring the entire circuit up to code including arc fault.
fka ftc
Manhattan said:

In the city of Houston, if you replace a receptacle, they want you to pull a permit and bring the entire circuit up to code including arc fault.
It specifically excludes fixed appliances and replacement of outlets. How do I know, well I read the code and I've probably managed more electrical work in the city of Houston then your cute little head could imagine.

No stop with the nonsense.

Manhattan
Well they are called receptacles, the COH addendum specially says if you replace the outlet you have to have a permit…. Idk if they changed it but the big issue with Harvey and everyone receptacle replacements was bringing the circuit up to code, which would require a permit and inspection.

But maybe they got rid of this ridiculous requirement.
Burnsey
AG
GAC06 said:

But the good news is no one is forcing you to buy an EV.

GAC thinks he's a good spouse because he doesn't beat his husband and and kids.
Hoyt Ag
AG
You should be doing backflips for more government. It's your MO after all.
GAC06
AG
Burnsey said:

GAC06 said:

But the good news is no one is forcing you to buy an EV.

GAC thinks he's a good spouse because he doesn't beat his husband and and kids.

Are you going to be ok?
Sq 17
cecil77 said:

Quote:

Insurance companies don't make laws. They only decide when they won't pay.

You did not break any laws just possibly broke the contract you signed
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 175

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.