***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,548,554 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by 74OA
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA said:

Russia has aggressive intentions around its periphery. The only thing holding Putin back is the massive resources unexpectedly required for the war in Ukraine. If Ukraine falls, the proverbial dominoes will be next.

KAZAKHSTAN
Well, NATO shouldn't have been pushing Kazakhstan to join them so that NATO can expand more around Russia.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
txags92
AG
Ag with kids said:

74OA said:

Russia has aggressive intentions around its periphery. The only thing holding Putin back is the massive resources unexpectedly required for the war in Ukraine. If Ukraine falls, the proverbial dominoes will be next.

KAZAKHSTAN
Well, NATO shouldn't have been pushing Kazakhstan to join them so that NATO can expand more around Russia.
I am sure there are Nazis there too that Russia needs to protect Kazakhstan from.
GAC06
AG

Pretty cool the Ukrainians are using APKWS to down drones
AtticusMatlock
Cool concept. They are putting laser guidance on mass-produced unguided 70mm rockets. It takes another device to designate the target. So it's not an all purpose system, but seems like a very cheap way to take down the slow moving drones.
P.U.T.U
AG
Think the missiles cost around $3k each, much less expensive way to shoot down a cheap drone
GAC06
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

Cool concept. They are putting laser guidance on mass-produced unguided 70mm rockets. It takes another device to designate the target. So it's not an all purpose system, but seems like a very cheap way to take down the slow moving drones.

Yeah it's been around about a decade. I thought it was an example of tailoring a weapon system to an insurgency instead of looking forward. A laser Zuni would be more relevant for a target set beyond dudes on mopeds in Afghanistan. This, plus using it on ground targets in encouraging.
74OA
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

The air-to-surface version has been around for around a decade, but this refers to a much more recent truck mounted SAM version which includes its own designator. Both are US designed and produced.

VAMPIRE
agwrestler
AG
74OA said:

Today's SITREP.

...and now UKE can counter this Russian system.
74OA
AG
agwrestler said:

74OA said:

Today's SITREP.

And so can we since our intel folks get to analyze any Russian gear the Ukrainians capture.

FOR EXAMPLE
Gilligan
AG
agwrestler said:

74OA said:

Today's SITREP.

The Ukes repaired a damaged tank. replacing batteries, cylinders and untangling it from barbed wire while sitting on an unexploded mine. ...over three nights with Orcs 400 meters away.

Got it running and drove it off. Big brass balls...
JFABNRGR
AG
aunuwyn08
AG
That kind of aid is such small potatoes it's not even worth the time to write the tweet about it.
JFABNRGR
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

That kind of aid is such small potatoes it's not even worth the time to write the tweet about it.
I disagree and its worth more than just the aid itself.

This was captured from IRGC going to terrorists in Yemen, while now it will be used to KILL terrorists in Ukraine, and likely serve as an impetus to do this with other captured contraband.
74OA
AG
Miscellaneous notes from the front. UPDATES
2000AgPhD
aunuwyn08 said:

Those small potatoes will still kill some Russkies stone dead.
JB!98
AG
74OA said:

AtticusMatlock said:

The air-to-surface version has been around for around a decade, but this refers to a much more recent truck mounted SAM version which includes its own designator. Both are US designed and produced.

VAMPIRE
I have read Red Storm rising so many times it is falling apart. Just the phrase Vampire sends a chill down my spine. The chapter is "Dance of the Vampires" if I remember correctly.
txags92
AG
JB!98 said:

74OA said:

AtticusMatlock said:

VAMPIRE
I have read Red Storm rising so many times it is falling apart. Just the phrase Vampire sends a chill down my spine. The chapter is "Dance of the Vampires" if I remember correctly.
Glad I am not the only one. I am on my second copy. It seems we are at another one of those moments in history where some new technology has made us vastly more capable of killing each other, but the defensive tech is still catching up. Russia is simultaneously showing us that we can't entirely walk away from defending the old school meat wave attacks against a determined enemy, while Ukraine is showing us we have to be able to defend against automated drones attacking in waves.
aunuwyn08
AG
And so will a case of vodka, but this isn't a war that's going to be impacted by an additional brigade being provided small arms.

I know most of you aren't defense professionals, but you'd think after two years of following the war y'all would have a better sense of what's doing the killing - drones and artillery - not infantry maneuvers with small arms.

Ukraine needs artillery shells, air defense systems, combat airframes, and long range strategic and operational strike capabilities not ak-47s.

But sure, get excited about handing over a few guns to Ukraine.
JFABNRGR
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

And so will a case of vodka, but this isn't a war that's going to be impacted by an additional brigade being provided small arms.

I know most of you aren't defense professionals, but you'd think after two years of following the war y'all would have a better sense of what's doing the killing - drones and artillery - not infantry maneuvers with small arms.

Ukraine needs artillery shells, air defense systems, combat airframes, and long range strategic and operational strike capabilities not ak-47s.

But sure, get excited about handing over a few guns to Ukraine.

We know their needs and agree with you there.

Its still valuable but the best part is it was seized from terrorists and will be used against another terrorist nation in defense of Ukraine.
nortex97
AG

Germans just ordered some.
92AG10
AG
I was a defense professional so I will offer you another prospective.

No drone, artillery shell, air defense system, combat airframe, long range strategic or operational strike capability has ever taken and held terrain. It requires an armed presence. If a force doesn't occupy the physical battle space then they don't control it.

This is the same flawed logic that the U.S. has tried to employ unsuccessfully since 1945. Technology and weapon systems are enablers, not substitutes.

A brigade of infantry is a powerful tool.
agent-maroon
AG
JFABNRGR said:

aunuwyn08 said:

This was captured from IRGC going to terrorists in Yemen, while now it will be used to KILL terrorists in Ukraine, and likely serve as an impetus to do this with other captured contraband.

We didn't even pay for these small arms? Why would anybody complain about giving them free weapons?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
revvie
AG
nortex97 said:

Germans just ordered some.
The conflict in Ukraine has exposed how under prepared the US and NATO are to fight a lengthy ground conflict with respect to consumables(artillery rounds, manpads, rockets and missiles). It will still take several years to match Russian, North Korean, and Chinese capacity.
ttu_85
92AG10 said:

No drone, artillery shell, air defense system, combat airframe, long range strategic or operational strike capability has ever taken and held terrain. It requires an armed presence. If a force doesn't occupy the physical battle space then they don't control it.

This is the same flawed logic that the U.S. has tried to employ unsuccessfully since 1945. Technology and weapon systems are enablers, not substitutes.

Yes it is, but also a costly one in terms of life and money, and sometime political capital. Personally I think its applicable in total war or large scale war-time situations. In low intensity situations these other systems can be punitive as was the case with ISIS which can make for an excellent deterrent. Long range, Loitering, precision munitions seem to me to be a desirable pursuit given it makes "whack a mole" practical and cheaper.

There is a place for both schools of thought which I'm sure you are well aware. Your input is sincerely appreciated
aunuwyn08
AG
92AG10 said:

No disagreement on that point, but you can't hold the terrain if you can't disarm and remove the occupying or enemy force.

Ukraine needs the tools to build asymmetric losses for their adversary (in contact, in maneuver, in morale, in logistics), and without them they won't be able to defend against or roll back a numerically/technologically/logistically superior enemy. Ukraine was punching way above their weight when we put the tools in their hands, but we're not now and you're starting to see the DIB advantages of Russia over Ukraine.
TacosaurusRex
agent-maroon said:

JFABNRGR said:

aunuwyn08 said:

We didn't even pay for these small arms? Why would anybody complain about giving them free weapons?
Because I would love for our government to donate me a new AK and ammo.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
74OA
AG
$138M in Hawk SAM parts headed to Ukraine. A drop in the proverbial bucket, but a useful drop nonetheless.

AID
74OA
AG
If this is what it takes for House MAGA to agree, just do it--we can always offer loan forgiveness later. "Asked by the interviewer about the possibility of Ukraine receiving the package in the form of a loan, he (Zelensky) said: "We will agree to any options."

PACKAGE
CONGRESS
74OA
AG
This is in addition to the 45 F-16s offered by other European nations. "A Greek news outlet recently reported that Athens is likely to approve the transfer of 32 F-16C/D fighter jets to Ukraine and could also offload 24 Mirage 2000-5 Mk 2 platforms to Kyiv as well a report that came days before Greek's defense minister met with top Dutch officials to discuss support for Ukraine."

JETS
92AG10
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

you can't hold the terrain if you can't disarm and remove the occupying or enemy force.

Sure you can, the British, French and Germans all did it in WW1. The Taliban did it to us and without any of the items you listed. You can't just kill your way to victory.

Ukraine's will must outlast Russia's. Time is the currency.
nortex97
AG
74OA said:

This is in addition to the 45 F-16s offered by other European nations. "A Greek news outlet recently reported that Athens is likely to approve the transfer of 32 F-16C/D fighter jets to Ukraine and could also offload 24 Mirage 2000-5 Mk 2 platforms to Kyiv as well a report that came days before Greek's defense minister met with top Dutch officials to discuss support for Ukraine."

JETS
The Greek Mirage 2000-5's might actually be a decent fit, I would agree. These are also mid-80's orders but were also updated in the late 2010's. While older fighters tend to have limited capabilities in a hostile air defense environment these probably could be supported (and crews trained up) via France as a partner fairly easily (who have also trained several/many Arab operators on the type), compared to limited US foreign TACAIR training slots which have been the primary impediment for the F-16's.

Likely no where near as worn out either as the utterly spent Canadian F/A-18 classics that were offered/rejected.
B-1 83
AG
Is the Ukrainian Air Force flying anything right now, or is the environment too dangerous for what they have to accomplish anything meaningful?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
nortex97
AG
They have a decent fleet of mainly MiG-29's for CAP primarily over the western third of the country, and a very limited Fencer fleet I think, for launching sporadic ALCM strikes. They've also been able to integrate AGM-88 HARM missiles onto their fulcrums which is sort of surprising/pretty effective.
Waffledynamics
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1289 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.