***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,548,753 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by 74OA
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Russian ministry of defense claims full control over Vodyane village near Avdiyivka
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/5-april-russian-ministry-of-defense-claims-full-control-over
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Turkish President Erdogan on Friday signed an act suspending Ankara's obligations under the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE Treaty). The act will come into force on April 8
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/5-april-turkish-president-erdogan-on-friday-signed-an-act
Waffledynamics
AG
Everyone's launching bombs at each other today. Reports of guided missiles and explosions in Kupyansk, Zaporizhzhia, Kharkiv, Kramatorsk, Sumy, and other areas on the Ukraine side. Russia also destroyed a Doctors Without Borders office.

In addition to Ukraine's drone strikes on Russian airfields, Ukraine has hit areas across the river in the Kherson region as well and also across the border in the Belgorod region.
JFABNRGR
AG
LMCane said:

JFABNRGR said:

LMCane said:

Eliminatus said:

P.U.T.U said:

So Russia added another 100k soldiers this year that willingly joined? Still seems they are getting rid of all of the undesirables, not sure how long they can keep doing this before it starts hurting their economy long term due to lack of work force.
Ran across this and a few others like it a few days ago that may be pertinent to that conversation. I was not able to corroborate it personally though with further news articles, so just noted it and moved on at the time.

We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Russia "recruited" the prison system super hard once it became clear the Ukes were going to stand and fight. By their own admissions and video proof. We also know they lost huge numbers of them, especially the first wave that went into the meat grinder of Bakhmut. And I have seen nothing that says they have ever stopped. I even mentioned it months ago that that recruiting tactic was likely a win/win for Russia. They got their throwaway penal battalions and once dead, Russia no longer had to feed or house them anymore.

I don't know for sure, but precedent and and common sense does not make me disbelieve this at all if Russia is consolidating what is left over from it's prison system and closing the rest. Just food for thought though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-shutter-prisons-inmates-ukraine-war-2024-3

what happens to the Russian Army once the last prison is closed?

You really meant to ask where do all the prison guards and admin go?

A. Ukraine on duty transfer. Lol

That's not what I was implying at all.

the text above was discussing how the Russian Army was primarily being staffed by PRISON INMATES

so my question is, what happens when there are no more PRISON INMATES to staff the Russian Army.

that is when things start to get interesting.
I know exactly what you were asking and I attempted to input a little humor and truth about the prison staff not having any work. The likely outcome for them will be duty transfers to the front line with the orc army.

The orcs have also been outsourcing to other countries for hire guns and will continue with their conscriptions which will likely be modified to include trades for X,Y,Z. All of which not ideal for combat but again putin doesn't care.
AtticusMatlock
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Turkish President Erdogan on Friday signed an act suspending Ankara's obligations under the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE Treaty). The act will come into force on April 8
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/5-april-turkish-president-erdogan-on-friday-signed-an-act
Not surprising. NATO issued a statement back in November to announce an agreement to suspend their obligations under the treaty.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Double tap missile strike in Zaporizhzhia as rescuers, police and journalists were on the site
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/5-april-double-tap-missile-strike-in-zaporizhzhia-as-rescuers
74OA
AG
More on the recent successful Ukrainian attack on a major Russian fighter base, plus other notes from the front.

Today's SITREP.
AtticusMatlock
Waffledynamics
AG

Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian military intelligence claimed explosion at oil products pipeline near Azov town of Rostov region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/6-april-ukrainian-military-intelligence-claimed-explosion
Waffledynamics
AG
nortex97
AG
Perpetua is a fascinating guy who scours Russian Telegram channels and media to try to document as many Russian losses as possible:
Quote:

Perpetua became interested when the war first began - not in late February but during Russia's initial hostile actions in 2014 when it took over Crimea and fighting began in the Donbas region.

Perpetua is an avid gamer and some of the games he enjoys playing are more popular in eastern Europe, like Red Orchestra, which depicts battles on the eastern front during World War II. Over the years, he befriended fellow gamers who lived in Ukraine. He says some of his friends were displaced during the fighting that began eight years ago.

When the 2022 invasion began, he shared what he was learning about the war on the social-media platform Discord. While he knew major Ukrainian cities, he needed a way to keep track of the action unfolding around smaller towns and locations.

"I started making the map to keep everything straight," Perpetua said.

He was encouraged to share what he was finding on Twitter.

Most every day now, Perpetua scours various channels on Telegram, the secure messaging platform that also allows users to post info to communities of followers. All sorts of groups are posting info about the war: official Ukrainian military units, paramilitary outfits, Russian groups for and against Vladimir Putin, and civilians sharing details. "Some of the channels are toxic and awful," he warns. "I suggest no one look at it."

He's looking for information, trying to understand where the front lines are, the supply routes, who is advancing, who is retreating, and what is being blown up. He reads horrific accounts. He studies Ukrainian newspapers as best he can, checks in on a Russian propaganda YouTube channel, and hears individually from people he knows in Ukraine, including military personnel.

Here is one of Perpetua's interactive maps from April 15:
I again don't go to Telegram or know Russian/Ukrainian etc. but find his work mostly credible, though it over-states repairable losses vs. write off's for armored vehicles especially (as with Oryx). The sourcing though is interesting. He certainly appears to be a Ukrainian patriot with solid tech analytic skills.

sclaff
AG
Discussion of rumors of Kharkiv offensive. What it would take for the orcs and probability that is a ploy to pull troops away from other fronts. Also,news of upgraded glide bombs being used by the orcs

benchmark
AG
In light of yesterday's Ukrainian drone attacks on Russian airfields ... circling back to their drone attacks on refineries a few weeks ago and the Financial Times article about the US urging Ukraine to halt strikes on Russian oil refineries. This small paragraph was easy to overlook but IMO important to note:
Quote:

.... Russia could retaliate by lashing out at energy infrastructure relied on by the west ..... This includes the CPC pipeline carrying oil from Kazakhstan through Russia to the global market. Western companies including ExxonMobil and Chevron use the pipeline, which Moscow briefly shut in 2022.
Not mentioned are some noteworthy details about the CPC oil pipeline I found interesing. The pipeline is 40 inches in diameter and carries almost all of Kazakhstan's oil production of 1.4 million BPD ... 1% of global oil supply. That's huge
74OA
AG
Fresh US funding would turn this quickly into reality.

ABATTBQ11
AG
benchmark said:

In light of yesterday's Ukrainian drone attacks on Russian airfields ... circling back to their drone attacks on refineries a few weeks ago and the Financial Times article about the US urging Ukraine to halt strikes on Russian oil refineries. This small paragraph was easy to overlook but IMO important to note:
Quote:

.... Russia could retaliate by lashing out at energy infrastructure relied on by the west ..... This includes the CPC pipeline carrying oil from Kazakhstan through Russia to the global market. Western companies including ExxonMobil and Chevron use the pipeline, which Moscow briefly shut in 2022.
Not mentioned are some noteworthy details about the CPC oil pipeline I found interesing. The pipeline is 40 inches in diameter and carries almost all of Kazakhstan's oil production of 1.4 million BPD ... 1% of global oil supply. That's huge

Kazakhstan might have an issue with that. Russia could probably say goodbye to Baikonur.
JFABNRGR
AG
Id sure like to see all this talk of how to source the munitions changed to the ammo has been delivered.
nortex97
AG
An analysis of Luttwak's arguments/position on Nato involvement;

Quote:

SUMMARY

Edward Luttwak, a prominent military theorist, advocates for NATO intervention in Ukraine to prevent a catastrophic defeat for the West. This analysis explores Luttwak's influence, his call for NATO troops in Ukraine, and the potential consequences of such action, including the strategic positioning around Odessa and the broader implications for global safety and morality.
IDEAS:

• Luttwak's advocacy for NATO intervention in Ukraine highlights the complex interplay between military strategy and geopolitical stability.
  • The comparison of Luttwak to Clausewitz and Dershowitz underscores the contentious nature of his influence in military and legal circles.
  • The potential deployment of NATO troops to Ukraine raises questions about the morality and safety of military interventions.
  • Luttwak's analysis is critiqued for possibly underestimating the risks of escalating conflict with Russia.
  • The mention of NATO countries preparing for various force contingencies in Ukraine suggests a significant shift in Western military strategy.
  • The framing of NATO intervention in the context of an imminent Chinese attack on Taiwan reveals Luttwak's broader geopolitical concerns.
  • The speculation about Moldova being used as a staging area for operations in Odessa illustrates the tactical considerations behind military planning.
  • The discussion of a potential NATO mission in Ukraine without necessarily sending troops highlights the alliance's strategic ambiguity.
  • The notion of a Ukrainian partition as a diplomatic and military strategy reflects the complexities of achieving peace and territorial integrity.

B-1 83
AG
"Russia has almost completely reconstituted its military capabilities, posing a renewed threat to Europe"

You can't make this stuff up……..or I guess you can.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
docb
AG
B-1 83 said:

"Russia has almost completely reconstituted its military capabilities, posing a renewed threat to Europe"

There apparently are people so stupid they believe it.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
B-1 83 said:

I'm only finding this quote frm US Deputy Sec of State Kurt Campbell?

1st link on Google: https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-military-almost-completely-reconstituted-after-ukraine-losses-us-official-2024-4
B-1 83
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

B-1 83 said:

1st link on Google: https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-military-almost-completely-reconstituted-after-ukraine-losses-us-official-2024-4
Yeah…….thats why we see T-55s and T-62s at the front. I guess "reconstituted" can have different meanings…..
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
USAFAg
AG
B-1 83 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

B-1 83 said:

Yeah…….thats why we see T-55s and T-62s at the front. I guess "reconstituted" can have different meanings…..

Restocked..with junk

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
74OA
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

B-1 83 said:

Because Campbell is the only one to have said so, and whose statement contradicts DOD and NATO's assessment.

IMO, the Deputy SECSTATE is speaking outside of his competency.
pagerman @ work
AG
Well their military capabilities sucked at the beginning of the war, so going from "we suck" to "we suck" isn't a long trip.
nortex97
AG
Maybe. But in strategic context the Sino-Russian alliance is clear:

Quote:

Campbell's remarks appear to be one of the most optimistic Western assessments of the Kremlin's productive drive to date.

In December, the British Army released an intelligence update stating that it would likely take Russia 10 years to replenish its ground troops with highly skilled forces, citing a "transition to a lower quality, higher quantity mass army."

In January, German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said Russia was building an army that could attack NATO but would probably only achieve such a capability in "five or eight years."

Lithuania has placed that estimate between five and seven years.

Others say Russia is making steady progress. The Royal United Services Institute, a London-based security think tank, said in February that Moscow had strengthened its troops in Ukraine, going from a disorganized force of 360,000 in 2023 to 410,000 better-trained soldiers in 2024.

"Although the Russian military's aspiration to increase its size to 1.5 million troops has not been realized, recruiters are currently achieving almost 85% of their assigned troop recruitment goals to fight in Ukraine," the researchers wrote.

The report noted that Russia is also rapidly producing some 1,500 tanks and 3,000 armored vehicles a year but is unlikely to maintain that capacity because much of this production comes from refurbishing older vehicles.

The Washington-based Institute for the Study of War said the RUSI report indicates Russia may be able to maintain its heavy losses for another two years.

Others say Russia is making steady progress. The Royal United Services Institute, a London-based security think tank, said in February that Moscow had strengthened its troops in Ukraine, going from a disorganized force of 360,000 in 2023 to 410,000 better-trained soldiers in 2024.
MaroonStain
AG
That reads like fiction.
74OA
AG
Yes, we're well aware. "McCaul, a Texas Republican, told Puck News that he thinks "Russian propaganda has made its way into the United States, unfortunately, and it's infected a good chunk of my party's base." Psssst….here, too.

DISINFORMATION
BigOil
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

benchmark said:

Quote:

Kazakhstan might have an issue with that. Russia could probably say goodbye to Baikonur.

Lukoil is a partner in TCO and other Kazakhstan O&G fields.
2023NCAggies
B-1 83 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

B-1 83 said:

Think they're trying to say they've learned a lot about modern warfare and getting better at it.

I think China will start sending them equipment sooner or later too
benchmark
AG
74OA said:

Yes, we're well aware. "McCaul, a Texas Republican, told Puck News that he thinks "Russian propaganda has made its way into the United States, unfortunately, and it's infected a good chunk of my party's base."
DISINFORMATION
Yes. And kuddo's to House Intel Chair Rep. Mike Turner for calling out his GOP colleagues for still blaming NATO - the same phony spin often cited by many otherwise conservative pundits.
Quote:

"There are members of Congress today who still incorrectly say that this conflict between Russia and Ukraine is over NATO, which of course it is not," he added.

Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Air defense is active in Kherson region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/7-april-air-defense-is-active-in-kherson-region

Did Kherson recently get air defense? Seems like they've been at the mercy of guided bombs with no AD reports for as long as I can remember.
74OA
AG
Russia has aggressive intentions around its periphery. The only thing holding Putin back is the massive resources unexpectedly required for the war in Ukraine. If Ukraine falls, the proverbial dominoes will be next.

KAZAKHSTAN
AgLA06
AG
74OA said:

Russia has aggressive intentions around its periphery. The only thing holding Putin back is the massive resources unexpectedly required for the war in Ukraine. If Ukraine falls, the proverbial dominoes will be next.

KAZAKHSTAN
German Anschluss with Austria is taking longer than expected, but make no mistake Czechoslovakia and Poland are next for Hitler Putin.
Waffledynamics
AG

Interesting thread about the defense of Chasiv Yar.
First Page Last Page
Page 1288 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.