***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,557,272 Views | 47736 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was thinking from the perspective of an American election. Russian pols arent worried about votes like ours would be, but rather avoiding getting lynched. Makes sense when you put it that way.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
Yup totally different system, values, history and experiences. The Russians tend to have a long memory of history and really understanding the Napoleonic invasion, the Red Revolution and the early Soviet consolidation, WWII and the lessons from the various Eastern European revolts (the Czechs, the Hungarians, the Poles) are really key to laying the foundation for how modern Russian leadership views the world. Obviously that's a very 10,000 foot view like saying you have to understand the Revolution, Civil War, WWII, Watergate and 9/11 for the US. Of course you're missing key things like the Gilded Age, the Depression, etc that radically have changed how the US operates but it will give you a good foundation on things that are a big influence on current events.
PJYoung
AG
10thYrSr
I guess the Russians felt they needed to get rid of the canopy in that area to allow drones to target the area.
LMCane
Denys Davidov reporting that the Ukes made progress on four vectors yesterday

Donetsk Airport
Novo Propovisk south of Robotyne
Andiivka
north of Bakhmut
P.U.T.U
AG
Russian infantry sucks compared to the Ukes so they try to destroy any and all cover. Easier to hit with artillery and drones. Been their MO for years, even in Syria
74OA
AG
More on Ukraine's recapture and potential military exploitation of its Black Sea gas and oil terminals and other coverage from the front.

Today's SITREP.
74OA
AG
Uncrewed vessels coming soon to an ocean, sea or littoral near you.

USVs
PJYoung
AG

PJYoung
AG

Quote:

Ukraine is starting to push its way into thinly defended areas of the eastern front after Russia scraped together all available troops to buck up its retreating forces in the south

Case in point: #Opytne

Ukrainian forces launched an operation to liberate this village just 2 km north of Donetsk Airport, apparently last week

When enemy troops started retreating through a field, Russian drone pilots mistook them for Ukrainians and directed artillery to let loose, Euromaidan Press says in its front line report today

Over 60 Russian troops were reportedly killed or wounded in the little accident

"Ukrainians obviously exploited this opportunity to the fullest, and after Russians killed their own troops that defended Opytne, Ukrainians managed to defeat the remnants of the Russian forces," Euromaidan Press's report says.

Ukrainian units were able to advance about 2 km here and to make inroads at two other nearby sites west of Donetsk City
docb
AG
https://reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/s/DVPkMGuQWP
Kremlin will say all drones repelled
74OA
AG
Sweden considering donating Gripen fighters to Ukraine.

JAS-39
Not a Bot
AG
Yep66
AG

GAC06
AG
Would be great to start knocking out some Kilos
Burrus86
AG
PJYoung said:

Quote:

Ukraine is starting to push its way into thinly defended areas of the eastern front after Russia scraped together all available troops to buck up its retreating forces in the south

Ukrainian forces launched an operation to liberate this village just 2 km north of Donetsk Airport, apparently last week

When enemy troops started retreating through a field, Russian drone pilots mistook them for Ukrainians and directed artillery to let loose, Euromaidan Press says in its front line report today

"Ukrainians obviously exploited this opportunity to the fullest, and after Russians killed their own troops that defended Opytne, Ukrainians managed to defeat the remnants of the Russian forces," Euromaidan Press's report says.

Ukrainian units were able to advance about 2 km here and to make inroads at two other nearby sites west of Donetsk City

I genuinely appreciate the post. However, until we see advances of 8+ km per day, then this is still a meat grinder advance the Ukrainians are making. I'm hoping for a dry winter for Ukraine, and I'm hoping for an Uke advance to the Kerch bridge. Unlike the "other perspective" thread, I really want to see Ukraine emerge victorious in this war.
Waffledynamics
AG
Burrus86 said:

PJYoung said:

Quote:

I genuinely appreciate the post. However, until we see advances of 8+ km per day, then this is still a meat grinder advance the Ukrainians are making. I'm hoping for a dry winter for Ukraine, and I'm hoping for an Uke advance to the Kerch bridge. Unlike the "other perspective" thread, I really want to see Ukraine emerge victorious in this war.
Expect the Kerch Bridge to be destroyed long before any advance to it.

Advances like in Kharkiv are extremely unlikely for a while, if ever, due to the different situation. Expect this to be more grueling than Kherson.
shiftyandquick
aezmvp
Interesting thread. I wonder how much deeper they can get without hitting St Petersburg and Moscow with drafts.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yep66 said:

A kilo class sub would be a huge loss
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Yep66 said:

Is that one of the subs they have been using to launch the cruise missiles from the Black Sea?
GAC06
AG
Yes
Rossticus
Vids

ABATTBQ11
AG
txags92 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Yep66 said:

Is that one of the subs they have been using to launch the cruise missiles from the Black Sea?

Yeah, but beyond that it would be a huge symbolic loss. An LST or patrol boat is one thing, but a submarine is a combat vessel. It's like losing the Moskva, though not quite the same strategic loss. On top of that, there's the economics of the loss. Submarines are expensive.
Capstone
AG
I wonder which Ukrainian apartment complex is going to pay for the Russian military targets which were hit?
JFABNRGR
AG
Moscow was also hit. Ya have to wonder WTF putin is gonna do, they are going backwards, which really isn't that big of deal but they are losing billions and billions worth of military hardware and russian troops which are finite. That is a big deal.

Ooh then theres the disbarment from the olympics. **** putin.

https://reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/aFCxw4obxX
Gator92
AG
NVM
Rossticus
Looks like they really may have managed to tag them both.

benchmark
AG
Rossticus said:

Sinking a $300-400 million kilo class submarine is incredible enough ... but forcing Russia to remove their navy from Sevastopol would be monumental. The exclamation point would be making Crimea totally useless by taking out the Kerch bridge and a few airfields with ATACMS. This is the way.
P.U.T.U
AG
I am not sure of the percentage now but in 2020ish I believe 70% of Russia's deep sea fleet was based out of Sevastopol. It was one of the main reasons they took Crimea.

Russia went from doing what they wanted in Sevastopol, to installing countermeasures, and once they get in range of ground based artillery they will have to add more defenses to the area. Russia's missile defense systems are not living up to their hype which is a huge issue for them
RogerEnright
benchmark said:

Rossticus said:

Sinking a $300-400 million kilo class submarine is incredible enough ... but forcing Russia to remove their navy from Sevastopol would be monumental. The exclamation point would be making Crimea totally useless by taking out the Kerch bridge and a few airfields with ATACMS. This is the way.
The timing is interesting. Just when we are about to announce ATACMS approval for Ukraine, they hit a juicy target that hammers the point to the Russians and they have to reflect: 'When ATACMS and F16s get to Ukraine, things are going to get more costly for the Russians, not less. Do they really want to continue?'.

Also, UKR has been softening up the missile defense in Crimea for some time with last night's results.

Stretching the Russian missile defense thin continues to be a core component of the UKR strategy.

benchmark
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I am not sure of the percentage now but in 2020ish I believe 70% of Russia's deep sea fleet was based out of Sevastopol. It was one of the main reasons they took Crimea.
Flashback to 2010 when Yanukovych extended the Sevastopol lease through 2042.

Ukraine extends lease for Russia's Black Sea Fleet
Quote:

The deal is the most concrete sign yet that Ukraine is now back under Russia's influence following Yanukovych's victory in February's presidential elections. It appears to mark the final nail in the coffin of the Orange Revolution of 2004.

Yanukovych's predecessor, Viktor Yushchenko, had vowed to eject Russia's Black Sea fleet from the port of Sevastopol, arguing that its presence was an affront to Ukraine's sovereignty and a destabilising factor in Crimea, a majority ethnic Russian region with a strong pro-Soviet mood.
nortex97
AG
Sq 17 said:

Thanks
somebody made this point several hundred pages ago when there was discussion about mobilization earlier in the war
His point was draft notices could not go out in places like Moscow or St. Petersburg because those young men probably had the ability to leave the country and
As soldiers get killed which happens in war Putin and Co. need it to be dead soldiers from the backwaters of Russia
This is 100 percent false, and has been throughout the war, fyi.
LMCane
P.U.T.U said:

Russia went from doing what they wanted in Sevastopol, to installing countermeasures, and once they get in range of ground based artillery they will have to add more defenses to the area. Russia's missile defense systems are not living up to their hype which is a huge issue for them
can anyone explain why the Russians have left Kilo class subs in Sevastopol

AFTER they know that the Ukes have been receiving advanced NATO cruise missiles?
Teslag
AG
LMCane said:

P.U.T.U said:

can anyone explain why the Russians have left Kilo class subs in Sevastopol

AFTER they know that the Ukes have been receiving advanced NATO cruise missiles?

More than likely just sheer incompetence. Look back over the last 18 months of Russia's actions in this war and it's the most obvious answer.
First Page Last Page
Page 1201 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.