***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,560,167 Views | 47750 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Teslag
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Russia is systematically plundering Ukraine's natural resources. Freezing the conflict would permanently strip Ukraine of much of its most economically productive land.

REAVERS
GAC06
AG
nortex97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

nortex97 said:

They are facing a larger enemy/Russian force they claim to be advancing on.

Except the Ukrainians have taken Robotyne and are, by many accounts, in Verbove. By some accounts they've reached the southern outskirts. If that's true, then no, their defenses are not holding.

Russia is also redeploying 76th Guards Air Assault Division here from the East in an attempt to stop further advances. Again, this would not happen if their defenses were holding.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/08/27/as-ukraines-counteroffensive-gains-momentum-russia-is-deploying-some-of-its-last-good-reserves/?sh=6ef22e3772bf
The UFA threw the 82nd brigade, their lightest and most mobile, at the hamlet/area around Robotyne which the Russians maintain overwatch of with significant field artillery capabilities (again betraying the flawed analyses I think that there are no more 'good targets' for himars etc). I linked above to indicia as to why this land is strategically worthless, such as it is today. Russia redeploying forces in response though is only logical to the push there.

Quote:

One thing to note is that, the 82nd is structured in a peculiar way compared to the other brigades. They appear to be the lightest and most mobile. This is due to every other brigade of the 9th Corps being distributed with the equivalent of two tank companies or perhaps a light tank battalion of about 30 tanks with 90 armored vehicles (AFV, IFV, ICV, AMV, APC, etc.). But the 82nd has a measly 14 x Challenger 2s but 90 Strykers + 40 Marders for a total of 130 capable lightly armored combat vehicles. Even their M119 light howitzers specialize in fast setup and mobility.
The operative question remains what happens next:

Quote:

Quote:

On June 22, Forbes assessed that the 82nd, and the 117th Mechanized Brigade where being held in reserve waiting for a significant breach in Russian lines to allow them to storm Melitopol.
The Forbes article says the deployment of the brigade is both "good and bad" news. Good because it's a fresh brigade, bad because they have nothing left after it:
Quote:

The deployment is good and bad news for Kyiv's long-anticipated counteroffensive, which kicked off with a series of coordinated assaults across southern and eastern Ukraine starting on June 4.
The 82nd Brigade and its sister air-assault unit, the 46th Brigade, were some of the last major units that the Ukrainian general staff was holding in reserve. In finally sending those formations into battle, the Ukrainians could significantly boost their firepower along one of the main axes of the counteroffensivethe one stretching 50 miles from Russian-occupied Robotyne to occupied Melitopol, just north of the Black Sea coast.

I do not know. The Russians would appear to have much more in reserves now, both in Ukraine and nearby, but that is again depending on what sources one trusts/believes. If the Ukrainians retreat this week from Robotyne, I think the estimate as to SU-24/himars losses would be accurate, and their 'offensive' would be functionally over for the year.

Are you aware of a single documented loss of HIMARS or M270's? I'm not. Russia has claimed to destroy more than we gave Ukraine, and yet GMLRS continue to rain down. So… perhaps it's not accurate.
docb
AG
Just saw a launch from today a salvo of 6 was fired. We both know not to believe him.
LMCane
PJYoung said:

move southEAST through Verbove

and bypass two more Russian trench lines then head due west and cut them off from Tokmak
ABATTBQ11
AG
The Russians appear to have minimal, if any, reserves. That's why they're redeploying the 76th guards that are reserves on paper only. Going back to the soviet days, much of what Russia claims is purely on paper, and the situation here is likely not much different. I don't think we'll see Ukraine retreat from Robotyne anytime soon. If anything they're going to keep pushing forward because they're only miles from being able to put Russia's supply lines across their land bridge within HIMARS range. If that happens, the Russians will need to seriously consider abandoning the South because they will not be able to effectively supply it. This is Ukraine's breach, and they're not giving it up because it's putting Russia between a rock and a hard place.
GAC06
AG
LMCane said:

PJYoung said:

move southEAST through Verbove

and bypass two more Russian trench lines then head due west and cut them off from Tokmak

Stop. They can't hear you. If they could they'd want to hear from someone that knows what they're doing.

The equivalent of a fan that's never played yelling play calls from the third deck.
AgLA06
AG
To be fair. This is the entire point of this thread.

"Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates"
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

nortex97 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

nortex97 said:

They are facing a larger enemy/Russian force they claim to be advancing on.

Except the Ukrainians have taken Robotyne and are, by many accounts, in Verbove. By some accounts they've reached the southern outskirts. If that's true, then no, their defenses are not holding.

Russia is also redeploying 76th Guards Air Assault Division here from the East in an attempt to stop further advances. Again, this would not happen if their defenses were holding.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/08/27/as-ukraines-counteroffensive-gains-momentum-russia-is-deploying-some-of-its-last-good-reserves/?sh=6ef22e3772bf
The UFA threw the 82nd brigade, their lightest and most mobile, at the hamlet/area around Robotyne which the Russians maintain overwatch of with significant field artillery capabilities (again betraying the flawed analyses I think that there are no more 'good targets' for himars etc). I linked above to indicia as to why this land is strategically worthless, such as it is today. Russia redeploying forces in response though is only logical to the push there.

Quote:

One thing to note is that, the 82nd is structured in a peculiar way compared to the other brigades. They appear to be the lightest and most mobile. This is due to every other brigade of the 9th Corps being distributed with the equivalent of two tank companies or perhaps a light tank battalion of about 30 tanks with 90 armored vehicles (AFV, IFV, ICV, AMV, APC, etc.). But the 82nd has a measly 14 x Challenger 2s but 90 Strykers + 40 Marders for a total of 130 capable lightly armored combat vehicles. Even their M119 light howitzers specialize in fast setup and mobility.
The operative question remains what happens next:

Quote:

Quote:

On June 22, Forbes assessed that the 82nd, and the 117th Mechanized Brigade where being held in reserve waiting for a significant breach in Russian lines to allow them to storm Melitopol.
The Forbes article says the deployment of the brigade is both "good and bad" news. Good because it's a fresh brigade, bad because they have nothing left after it:
Quote:

The deployment is good and bad news for Kyiv's long-anticipated counteroffensive, which kicked off with a series of coordinated assaults across southern and eastern Ukraine starting on June 4.
The 82nd Brigade and its sister air-assault unit, the 46th Brigade, were some of the last major units that the Ukrainian general staff was holding in reserve. In finally sending those formations into battle, the Ukrainians could significantly boost their firepower along one of the main axes of the counteroffensivethe one stretching 50 miles from Russian-occupied Robotyne to occupied Melitopol, just north of the Black Sea coast.

I do not know. The Russians would appear to have much more in reserves now, both in Ukraine and nearby, but that is again depending on what sources one trusts/believes. If the Ukrainians retreat this week from Robotyne, I think the estimate as to SU-24/himars losses would be accurate, and their 'offensive' would be functionally over for the year.

Are you aware of a single documented loss of HIMARS or M270's? I'm not. Russia has claimed to destroy more than we gave Ukraine, and yet GMLRS continue to rain down. So… perhaps it's not accurate.
I've seen pictures of them on the ground unexploded, and claims they were jammed/shot down, but nothing I'd stake a claim to personally believing really. There were a lot of reports/claims over the summer as to shooting them down, yes. It seems like a generally pretty effective weapon imho, but I'm not an expert.

Gatewaypundit update today:

Quote:

The Ukrainian Army lost up to 4,855 servicemen last week, TASS reports, as its counter-offensive inches forward in Southern Ukraine. Last week, the Ukrainian forces lost 1,490 fighters in the Donetsk area, 1,180 servicemen in the South Donetsk area, 820 in the Zaporozhye area, 665 in the Kupyansk area, 485 in the Krasny Liman area and 215 in the Kherson area, TASS reports, based on the figures ofthe Russian Defense Ministry.

On Saturday, Aug. 26, the Ukrainian Army lost a total of 785 casualties, according to the Russian Defense Ministry, which claims to have repelled five attacks by the elite Ukrainian 82nd Air Assault and 46th Airmobile brigades in Robotyne in the Zaporozhye region, with up to 200 Ukrainian casualties. Up to 240 Ukrainian servicemen were killed and wounded outside of Donetsk, where heavy fighting was also taking place.
Former Italian PM:

Quote:

Former Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte wrote that "the strategy pursued in the NATO area, based on continuous military supplies to Ukraine and on the logic of escalation, has not resulted in the expected Russian military defeat… There has been no defeat of the Russian army in Bakhmut, there has been no weakening of its military and paramilitary units, there has been no retreat under the Ukrainian counteroffensive."

"After a year and a half of war, what is the reality that prevails over all these simplistic predictions pumped by war propaganda?", Conte wrote. "The reality is 500 thousand deaths on both fronts. The reality is over 6 million Ukrainian refugees who left their country. The reality is entire cities and vast territories completely destroyed that we will have to help rebuild in the coming years, with a European financial commitment, estimated in the initial stage alone at 50 billion. The reality is that the Russia-Ukraine conflict has had a pull effect on global military spending growth by 3.7% in 2022 compared to the previous year, with last year's military spending reaching a record amount of $2,240 billion across the planet."
Quote:

Rybar reported on Sunday that a general lull was observed almost everywhere on the FEBA and that Robotyne was still contested. Rybar's big map has two major insets depicting the main areas of battle at Robotyne and Kupyansk with the former shown as becoming ripe for counterattacks along the flanks to collapse the pocket and form a cauldron.

There's no rain in the long-term forecast for Donetsk which will favor Russian drone warfare which has proven very effective. I found this observation by Rybar significant:

"There was practically no shelling in the border areas today. This is probably due to large-scale counter-battery actions carried out by Russian forces."
GAC06
AG
So what reports of HIMARS losses are you talking about? HIMARS are the trucks, M270 MLRS are the tracked vehicles. They fire GMLRS, and yes it's plausible that some have been intercepted although Russia's inability to defend high value targets from them suggests it's hit or miss, and mostly miss.
GAC06
AG
AgLA06 said:

To be fair. This is the entire point of this thread.

"Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates"

Not going to criticize an actual update
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

So what reports of HIMARS losses are you talking about? HIMARS are the trucks, M270 MLRS are the tracked vehicles. They fire GMLRS, and yes it's plausible that some have been intercepted although Russia's inability to defend high value targets from them suggests it's hit or miss, and mostly miss.
Even back in May there were reports on this. I understand the truck vs. the rockets themselves, it's just a system commonly referred to by the himars name.

Quote:

And now, if you read the new Rusi institute report, you'll see they are confirming exactly what I said:
Quote:

Russian air defences have also seen a significant increase in their effectiveness now that they are set up around known, and fairly static, locations and are properly connected. Although Russia has persistently struggled to respond to emerging threats, over time it has adapted. Russian air defences are now assessed by the Ukrainian military to be intercepting a proportion of GMLRS strikes as Russian point defences are directly connected to superior radar.
Of course, when you have only 80k men in the country rather than the 250k everyone thinks, there's going to be giant gaps in your AD and it won't be fully 'networked' anyway but rather an ad hoc collection of mobile systems only protecting the most critical areas. Now that Russia has filled out the lines with real troop numbers, it has created an actual networked and integrated system which has mostly nullified HIMARs.
I'm trying to stay on topic, sorry, but don't understand how if these were as effective as claimed, the lines are still so similar to what they were in the spring.
74OA
AG
Eliminatus
AG
nortex97 said:

GAC06 said:

Even back in May there were reports on this. I understand the truck vs. the rockets themselves, it's just a system commonly referred to by the himars name.

Quote:

And now, if you read the new Rusi institute report, you'll see they are confirming exactly what I said:
Quote:

Russian air defences have also seen a significant increase in their effectiveness now that they are set up around known, and fairly static, locations and are properly connected. Although Russia has persistently struggled to respond to emerging threats, over time it has adapted. Russian air defences are now assessed by the Ukrainian military to be intercepting a proportion of GMLRS strikes as Russian point defences are directly connected to superior radar.
Of course, when you have only 80k men in the country rather than the 250k everyone thinks, there's going to be giant gaps in your AD and it won't be fully 'networked' anyway but rather an ad hoc collection of mobile systems only protecting the most critical areas. Now that Russia has filled out the lines with real troop numbers, it has created an actual networked and integrated system which has mostly nullified HIMARs.
I'm trying to stay on topic, sorry, but don't understand how if these were as effective as claimed, the lines are still so similar to what they were in the spring.

Because HIMARs doesn't defeat landmines or fortifications and are not being used on individual trenches or infantry at groups of less than 10. Which is how the Russians have been reinforcing. They also have not been concentrated enough to be able to punch out Russian forces in a specific area to plan a realistic attack. The Ukes have to keep them shooting and scooting and hence are using them more as snipers than MBTs in terms of force projection. Meaning HIMARs is being used to degrade forces in a sector, not punch holes in defensive lines to immediately breach. HIMARS have been focused on counter artillery last couple of months. Of which they have had marked success.

And At the end of the day, they are still point target weapons. Russia is not going to be defeated alone by HIMARS. There isn't enough of them. And Russia has also changed tactics to account for HIMARS. Mainly move things much further back and decentralize. It was pointed out many times to not expect the initial successes to continue at the pace they were at at the onset. And tbh, the Russians still took much longer than I expected to learn.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TASS is state owned Russian media. It is literally the mouthpiece of the Russian state, so anything they say is likely vastly inflated for propaganda. The Ukrainians have undoubtedly suffered casualties, but they're probably nowhere near what TASS is reporting.

Conte is a former PM. He likely doesn't know much, if anything, anyone else doesn't. He's wrong about Bakhmut, where Ukraine has pushed Russia back. They're making slow yet steady progress in the South. He can complain all he wants about the effects of the war, but the truth is that none of it would have happened if Russia didn't invade, and none of it will be fixed so long as they're there.
ABATTBQ11
AG
nortex97 said:

GAC06 said:

Quote:

Quote:

HIMARS and M270 are launch platforms. GMLRS are the rockets. Russia has claimed to have destroyed more HIMARS launch platforms than Ukraine has even been given, but they haven't been able to show a single burned out vehicle or hit. In reality, they probably haven't hit a single one.

They've also claimed they can now shoot down GMLRS rockets launched from HIMARS or M270's with 100% effectiveness. This is 100% BS and copium. There have been many documented strikes since that was posted. We've also seen Ukraine take out an S300 and S400. The S300 was supposedly hit by GMLRS, so kind of hard to believe Russia's claims of being able to shoot these rockets down with perfect efficiency when there's video of them hitting some of their most advanced air defense radars. No one is sure what the S400 was hit with. The reality is that high profile strikes from HIMARS have likely tailed off because Russia moved a lot of their stockpiles and logistics further to the rear and it of range. Make no mistake, they're still happening though.

ETA These are extremely effective. Much of the success of Ukraine 's last offensive was due to the strikes on Russian logistics. Russia has since moved their main hubs and stockpiles farther behind their lines to avoid being targeted by GMLRS strikes. As others have mentioned, they've been used lately to strike Russia's artillery and whittle down their artillery advantage. It's not the flashy explosions of munitions dumps from when they were first delivered, but it's important strategic work that has taken awhile. With the GLSDBs getting delivered in the coming months, the Russians will need to adapt again and move their logistics hubs even further back. GLSDB is essentially a ground launched JDAM glide bomb. It's like a GMLRS round with a longer range (over 2x GMLRS rounds) because it glides to a target.
P.U.T.U
AG
I am sure Ukraine lost some air based missile systems with Russia hitting the ammo depot by the air station. Likely the amount Ukraine lost is somewhere in the middle.

I have not seen many M270 type units destroyed by mines but sure some have with how many are in Ukraine. If we follow a pattern Ukraine does a big push with artillery, ground troops advance, and then they reset for the next offensive. They knock out logistics and ammo sites then do another push
ABATTBQ11
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I am sure Ukraine lost some air based missile systems with Russia hitting the ammo depot by the air station. Likely the amount Ukraine lost is somewhere in the middle.

I have not seen many M270 type units destroyed by mines but sure some have with how many are in Ukraine. If we follow a pattern Ukraine does a big push with artillery, ground troops advance, and then they reset for the next offensive. They knock out logistics and ammo sites then do another push

Seriously doubt any M270's have been damaged or destroyed by mines. They operate well behind the lines in mine cleared areas.
lb3
AG
P.U.T.U said:

No excuses for long range assets running into mines. They should never be near the front lines driving over virgin terrain.
PJYoung
AG

Original thread unrolled:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1696200001158864991.html

Quote:

2/ American officers appear to have unrealistic expectations of what a single counteroffensive operation can achieve. The U.S. should be focused on helping Ukraine fight the war the way it wants to fight, not chirping from the sidelines.

3/ American officials are reportedly irritated that Ukraine has kept large numbers of forces in its east, particularly around the town of Bakhmut, and that Ukraine has been pursuing multiple offensive thrusts within Zaporizhia oblast itself rather than focusing on only one.

4/ No one in the American military today has designed large-scale mechanized operations against a serious and capable enemy that is employing a comprehensive defense. The last time was the Metz campaign in France in 1944, led by Gen. George S. Patton.

5/ The massed attack toward Melitopol that some are demanding is the most obvious thing Ukraine could do and would concentrate Ukraine's offensive combat power on a drive down the shortest road to the sea. This approach seems appealing and militarily sound.

6/ The trouble is that the Russians also had the same thought. They deployed the strongest of their remaining defending forces on this axis. They dug deep, extensive trench lines and covered the earth in mines.

7/ The Ukrainians have actually made a priority of this route and have recently made important gains. But they have also been attacking further east in Zaporizhia oblast and have made gains there as well.

8/ The effort that seems to aggravate American officials most of all, however, has been the Ukrainian push to recapture the city of Bakhmut, which the Wagner Group seized at tremendous cost this spring.

9/ U.S. military experts appear to want the Ukrainians to hold on all other fronts and focus on a single thrust toward Melitopol.

10/ Such advice is military malpractice. Well-designed mechanized campaigns almost always advance on multiple axes rather than one. That is what American-led coalitions did against Iraq in 1991 and 2003. It's how the Americans, Germans, and Soviets fought in World War II.

11/ The reason is simple: Advancing along a single axis allows the defender to concentrate fully on stopping that one advance. Here, the Russians would almost certainly have moved forces from other parts of the theater as rapidly as they could to stop the drive on Melitopol.

12/ The Russians have redeployed forces to Zaporizhia. They haven't sent more reinforcements, in part because Ukrainian attacks have pinned them all along the line.

13/ The much-condemned Ukrainian counteroffensive around Bakhmut has drawn elements of multiple Russian airborne divisions & separate brigades to hold the line there. Those units had been fighting in Luhansk & Kharkiv and would have been available to reinforce the Melitopol axis.

14/ The seizure of Melitopol on its own can't win the war for Ukraine.

15/ The demands that Ukraine focus everything on that drive, combined with warnings that the West won't restock Ukraine for future operations, suggest that at least some of those criticizing the Ukrainian offensive aren't serious about helping Ukraine liberate all its territory.

16/ If that is the case, and if the Pentagon's position is that it doesn't expect Ukraine to liberate its people, it would be better to say so clearly than to make oblique and inaccurate attacks on the way Ukraine is fighting.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dayum
Rongagin71
AG
74OA said:

The bit about using drones to make a map of metallic mines by their heat signature was interesting to me. Does this still work in the winter?
74OA
AG
Rongagin71 said:

74OA said:

The bit about using drones to make a map of metallic mines by their heat signature was interesting to me. Does this still work in the winter?
The heat contrast is less, so detection is more problematic.
GAC06
AG
Snow would be a problem but anything metallic that gets warmed by the sun will stand out from its surroundings at the right times of day.
nortex97
AG
Yeah, that's brutal, especially from that channel.
ABATTBQ11
AG
nortex97 said:

They're not a, "channel." They're a nonprofit think tank.

https://understandingwar.org/who-we-are

https://understandingwar.org/mission-statement
10thYrSr
ABATTBQ11 said:

nortex97 said:

I'm not sure how the distinction of the two impacts the content of the message.
10thYrSr
Clearly the Pentagon is wanting to show results so that Congress can reduce the heat from constituents at home.
ABATTBQ11
AG
10thYrSr said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

nortex97 said:

I'm not sure how the distinction of the two impacts the content of the message.

They're not ****ing randos with substacks.
10thYrSr
74OA said:

Rongagin71 said:

74OA said:

The heat contrast is less, so detection is more problematic.

Let's go further on this. If I were in a heavily mined area and needed to clear it, why not use heavy duty drones (or an army of smaller drones) dragging a magnet or at least something that would activate the mines.you only lose a drone and not people. I'm not up to date on my mine technology, but I think drones can be used to clear these. If not, LIDAR Can at least detect freshly dug areas where mines may be laying.
lb3
AG
There might be some value in unleashing a thousand riding lawnmowers on the front lines.
10thYrSr
lb3 said:

There might be some value in unleashing a thousand riding lawnmowers on the front lines.

I don't understand this joke. Are the mines weight sensitive or magnetic?
JFABNRGR
AG
10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

Maybe you didn't deserve the joke.

The mines are are a major ****ing problem and the methods to clear are quite difficult and also very dangerous. This obstacle hasn't been a real problem to Americans for a really long time and we have no shortage of retired desk grade officers making ridiculous statements that the Ukrainian offensive has stalled because they never had to deal with such while having access to significant other assets that flew over or around ground laid mines. This said I am confident the Ukrainians will be the worlds leading expert on clearing. Stay tuned.

for those falsely thinking HIMARS out of action. Heres a recent success single shot fire mission.

https://reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/AicVNrSDIL
10thYrSr
I understand they are a big problem. Thank you for your kind words. I think that drones can act as minesweeper. What do you think?
lb3
AG
10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

It wasn't intended as a joke. As stated above mines are a huge problem and automated cheap disposable bots as you suggest would be quite useful. I'm my mind, why engineer a new vehicle from scratch when you could just use a raspberry pi, a cheap sensor board, and a servo to automate some zero turn mowers and cub-cadet riding mowers.

Given the artillery cratered terrain, maybe a few thousand ATVs might be better suited for the task.

If they all die on mines great, they've done their job. If they force the Orcs in the trenches to expend their ammo prior to the main assault, that's great too.
10thYrSr
lb3 said:

10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

It wasn't intended as a joke. As stated above mines are a huge problem and automated cheap disposable bots as you suggest would be quite useful. I'm my mind, why engineer a new vehicle from scratch when you could just use a raspberry pi, a cheap sensor board, and a servo to automate some zero turn mowers and cub-cadet riding mowers.

Given the artillery cratered terrain, maybe a few thousand ATVs might be better suited for the task.

If they all die on mines great, they've done their job. If they force the Orcs in the trenches to expend their ammo prior to the main assault, that's great too.

Ok, let's talk about LIDAR. Drones can be equipped with LIDAR showing new buried objects. We can see where the mines are buried. So if the US gives LIDAR to the drones Ukraine is already using, they can detect mines.
First Page Last Page
Page 1188 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.