***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,561,293 Views | 47750 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Teslag
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SamHou said:

While humorous, it seems like a good strategy. Just requires a ton of ferries
uhhh, that bridge is over 10 miles long; that is a hell of a lot of ferries
txags92
AG
2wealfth Man said:

SamHou said:

While humorous, it seems like a good strategy. Just requires a ton of ferries
uhhh, that bridge is over 10 miles long; that is a hell of a lot of ferries
Not if you use the ferries spread out to support mobile bridging units. I kind of suspect that maybe "ferries" is being used synonymously for barges.
agent-maroon
AG
nortex97 said:

What are their 'heavies?' This seems desperate, agreed.
Referring to any armor/artillery/heavy equipment. Nothing specific and I'm just musing (talking out my posterior)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
docb
AG
Drone attacks almost daily in Moscow. Good for Ukraine to bring the special military operation home to the Russians!!!
2000AgPhD
Rossticus said:

10thYrSr said:

Waffledynamics said:

Good lord, look at that landscape. This is South of Bakhmut.

Not sure what you are looking at. Those are tree shadows, not craters.

Go to the 00:18 second mark and pause. Where trees are located along the left side and through the middle of the frame you can clearly see their trunks and the difference in height between actual tree tops and where the shadowing/contrast of artillery impacts occur across the landscape. There may be some scrub interspersed through the area but what you're seeing isn't simply a bunch of trees.
Either way, there's plenty of craters now...
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

According to Russian Ministry of Defense 2 drones were shot down in Khimki and Mozhaisk districts of Moscow region by air defense, and the 3rd drone crashed into building of "Moscow city" commercial district intercepted by electronic warfare means
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/23-august-according-to-russian-ministry-of-defense-2-drones

Also, drone attacks in Ukraine.

Quote:

Air defense was active in the southern Odesa region against Shahed drones
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/23-august-air-defense-was-active-in-the-southern-odesa-region

Quote:

Shahed drones over Zaporizhzhia region
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/23-august-shahed-drones-over-zaporizhzhia-region-
ABATTBQ11
AG
agent-maroon said:

I can totally see them abandoning their soldiers without a second thought, but I was thinking about moving their armor & other motor vehicles quickly. Ferries might not even be able to handle their heavies for all I know. Sinking ships of any kind as a defense is just bizarre to me.

Ferries could mostly likely handle tanks and armored vehicles, but no more than a handful at a time. A T-72 weighs about as much as 15-20 cars, so a ferry that carries 40-50 cars could take a couple pretty easily. Same thing with BMP's and other vehicles.

Honestly though, they'd want to make use of their landing ships. They're made for heavy vehicles. Unfortunately for the Russians, they've lost like 4 since the beginning of the war
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

agent-maroon said:

I can totally see them abandoning their soldiers without a second thought, but I was thinking about moving their armor & other motor vehicles quickly. Ferries might not even be able to handle their heavies for all I know. Sinking ships of any kind as a defense is just bizarre to me.

Ferries could mostly likely handle tanks and armored vehicles, but no more than a handful at a time. A T-72 weighs about as much as 15-20 cars, so a ferry that carries 40-50 cars could take a couple pretty easily. Same thing with BMP's and other vehicles.

Honestly though, they'd want to make use of their landing ships. They're made for heavy vehicles. Unfortunately for the Russians, they've lost like 4 since the beginning of the war
I can't imagine they had a large number of them in their Black Sea fleet to begin with.
Rossticus
Ammo go boom

Rossticus
ABATTBQ11
AG
txags92 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

agent-maroon said:

I can't imagine they had a large number of them in their Black Sea fleet to begin with.

They brought a bunch in for "maneuvers" in February 2022.
Not a Bot
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian Defence Forces continue offensive operations at Bakhmut and Melitopol directions, have success at Novodanylivka and Novoprokopivka directions, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/23-august-ukrainian-defence-forces-continue-offensive-operations
2wealfth Man
AG
Rossticus said:

Ammo go boom

that looks like fun; all for $25 grenade
74OA
AG
Ukrainian forces enter Robotyne and other updates.

Today's SITREP.
P.U.T.U
AG
Ukraine going after targets in Russia

Anyone have any idea what Ukraine is attacking? I know the first attack was one of the intelligence hubs but since then I think there have been another 5 attacks in the Moscow region
JFABNRGR
AG
Epic. Maybe more of these to come. Uke special ops lure orc Mi8 pilot to defect to Ukraine with his helo.

https://reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/ktCltcEVYu

https://reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/VVLGALJC5Y
LMCane
txags92 said:

agent-maroon said:

They're going to wish they hadn't sunk all their ferries when the bridge is unusable and they're evacuating Crimea

They are orcs. They will just leave their loyal little lackeys behind when they start to lose Crimea. Expending effort on those left behind is not a russian core value.

Correct.

but if the Ukes can get further south in Zaporizhe Oblast in order to bring Tokmak and Melitopol or Mariupol under M777 artillery range-

the Russkies will HAVE to supply vast units to the west of that blockage by ferry or by train.

and since there are only two train lines and two highways from Russia through Crimea and into Kherson oblast....
LMCane
JFABNRGR said:

Epic. Maybe more of these to come. Uke special ops lure orc Mi8 pilot to defect to Ukraine with his helo.

kind of feel a bit bad for the two oblivious Russian crew members who were then killed.

then again, if they opened fire first they deserved it.

hopefully they didn't surrender and then were killed like in some Bond movie.
LMCane
Rossticus said:

Speak the Truth were demonstrating on maps yesterday-

that a few more kilometers advance to the south along this axis

would bring Russian Army Headquarters at Tokmak into range of Ukrainian KRAB self propelled artillery units.
PJYoung
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Rossticus said:

Ammo go boom

Hey the drone's not free.
AgLA06
AG
PJYoung said:

2wealfth Man said:

Rossticus said:

Ammo go boom

Hey the drone's not free.

It is if it's donated.
74OA
AG
Ukraine's new underwater suicide drone breaks cover.

SUBMARINE
txags92
AG
LMCane said:

txags92 said:

agent-maroon said:

They're going to wish they hadn't sunk all their ferries when the bridge is unusable and they're evacuating Crimea

They are orcs. They will just leave their loyal little lackeys behind when they start to lose Crimea. Expending effort on those left behind is not a russian core value.

Correct.

but if the Ukes can get further south in Zaporizhe Oblast in order to bring Tokmak and Melitopol or Mariupol under M777 artillery range-

the Russkies will HAVE to supply vast units to the west of that blockage by ferry or by train.

and since there are only two train lines and two highways from Russia through Crimea and into Kherson oblast....
The post I was responding to was talking about evacuating Crimea, not resupplying it to defend it. You are correct that this could hinder that resupply, but if it comes to Russia losing Crimea and people and troops trying to evacuate, Russia won't care a lick about trying to get them home. They will just write them off.
Waffledynamics
AG
A couple of hours ago:

Quote:

Russian planes launching guided bombs at Beryslav

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/23-august-russian-planes-launching-guided-bombs-at-beryslav

Less than an hour ago:

Quote:

Russian naval vessels launched several Kaliber missiles towards central regions of Ukraine. Missiles manoeuvring, changing the courses

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/23-august-russian-naval-vessels-launched-several-kaliber
74OA
AG
Good clip on Gepard operating in Ukraine and other notes.

UPDATES
ABATTBQ11
AG
74OA said:

SUBMARINE

That's either gonna be a big*** bomb or a great delivery vehicle for specops. Some special forces guys with a bunch of drones could wreak havoc on Russian airfields or ammo dumps and then just slip away.
Ulysses90
AG
sclaff said:

For those in the know, any comments on the assertion below of the superiority of 155 v. 152?

In terms of burst radius and lethality on target there isn't a big difference between the 152mm and the 155mm. The M795 shell family does have significantly improved lethality by better fragmentation than the old M107 shells but the difference between the 152mm and 155mm weapons really comes down to four ingredients.

1. Better breeches and tubes that are perhaps more accurate and have longer range (with <50 caliber length tubes) plus, the Ukrainians are replacing their tubes and not using them after they are worn out.

2. Terminal guidance packages on the projectile that allow the Ukrainians to use a single round to hit precisely rather than a disbursed sheaf. The numerous videos of nearly direct hits on Russian vehicles by a single gun are really impressive.

3. Better gun systems that can emplace quickly, fire a mission, then displace before the Russians can response with counterbattery fire.

That photo in that tweet is significant because it shows a GIAT Caesar and not a towed howitzer. The Caesar can fire the first round 60 seconds after the wheels stop turning and displace 45 seconds after the last round is fired. That makes them much more survivable than a towed howitzer that longer to displace. If the Ukrainians are using raid tactics to move batteries forward in order to hit targets farther behind the lines then rapid emplacement and displacement is a differentiating capability from D-20s or MSTAs.

txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

74OA said:

SUBMARINE

That's either gonna be a big*** bomb or a great delivery vehicle for specops. Some special forces guys with a bunch of drones could wreak havoc on Russian airfields or ammo dumps and then just slip away.
Would be nice to see them roll up under the Kerch Bridge, surface and unload a demo team with shaped charges to take out a few pilings.
JFABNRGR
AG
LMCane said:

JFABNRGR said:

kind of feel a bit bad for the two oblivious Russian crew members who were then killed.

then again, if they opened fire first they deserved it.

hopefully they didn't surrender and then were killed like in some Bond movie.
I suspect they were giving a choice and chose poorly!

If this happened as they say it did, the amount of coordination involved was quite complex but then again if that failed Ukes still gain.
LMCane
Gen. Sergei Surovikin, a former commander of Russia's forces in Ukraine who was linked to the leader of an armed rebellion, has been dismissed from his job as chief of the air force, according to Russian state media.

The report Wednesday came after weeks of uncertainty about his fate following the short-lived uprising.
The Fife
JFABNRGR said:

And in typical Russian fashion, the spare part box pictured has a bunch of mildew on the label. Who knows how well it was stored.
Moxie
AG
Moxie
AG
txags92
AG
Moxie said:

"Crashes"...
First Page Last Page
Page 1181 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.