***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,563,013 Views | 47754 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by 74OA
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The massive mushroom cloud explosion near Moscow took place at or near a factory that primarily produces electro-optical equipment. Russia claims that the explosion came from an adjacent warehouse used by an explosives manufacturer.

BLAST
74OA
AG
B-1 83 said:

Something man portable would be cool, but the system to shoot such a round and the size of the rounds would make that pretty much impossible.
Handheld anti-drone "guns" are commonplace. They electronically jam the drone's command link.

DRONE
74OA
AG
Latest war assessment from ISW. Scroll to bullet points at bottom.

UPDATES
Teslag
AG
74OA said:

The massive mushroom cloud explosion near Moscow took place at or near a factory that primarily produces electro-optical equipment. Russia claims that the explosion came from an adjacent warehouse used by an explosives manufacturer.

BLAST

I just read an article on WSJ about Russia finally getting over the optics bottle neck to modernize tanks. Wonder if this is that plant?
P.U.T.U
AG
The article brought up Wagner in Africa, wonder what kind of equipment they are using there. I know Algeria, Angola, Egypt and Sudan are Russia's main importers and Russia supplies over half of Africa with weapon systems. Russia was mainly supplying the sub-Sahara region but recently has been accused of providing weapons to South Africa.

From what I saw it was T72 era type equipment but if they are pulling T64s out of storage for use in Ukraine I wonder what the African countries are getting. I know its mainly Wagner supplying the weapons so it would not be a real shock if the Africans get better equipment than the normal Russian troops.
74OA
AG
Germany has delivered two more Patriots to Ukraine.

SAM
SmallBusiness
2 patriot launchers
1 patriot system
aezmvp
P.U.T.U said:

The article brought up Wagner in Africa, wonder what kind of equipment they are using there. I know Algeria, Angola, Egypt and Sudan are Russia's main importers and Russia supplies over half of Africa with weapon systems. Russia was mainly supplying the sub-Sahara region but recently has been accused of providing weapons to South Africa.

From what I saw it was T72 era type equipment but if they are pulling T64s out of storage for use in Ukraine I wonder what the African countries are getting. I know its mainly Wagner supplying the weapons so it would not be a real shock if the Africans get better equipment than the normal Russian troops.
They're not getting anything new that's been made public but there are some 72s and BMPs floating around out there but I'm not sure Niger has any. Niger has some armored cars, armored cars pretending to be light tanks, technicals, MRAP style trucks. I think they have maybe a couple of fighters and helos and some civilian planes that have been converted (pretty common in Africa). These are the kind of countries that you'd have seen taken over by American corporations or 'adventurers' in the late 1800s early 1900s. Pretty sure Jeff Bezos could hire a more competent and well equipped group with what he made by lunch today.
AgLA06
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Rumor today that Wagner just got kicked out of their new home country. Maybe Niger will be their new home.
Not a Bot
AG
Not confirmed, at least as far as I can tell, from any sort of reputable source but a lot of chatter from different sides of the conflict saying the same thing.

PJYoung
AG
Faustus
NM.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Mayor of Moscow Sobyanin: Air defense shot down 2 combat drones flying towards Moscow, one in the Kaluga region, the other in the Central Ring Road area
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/10-august-mayor-of-moscow-sobyanin-air-defense-shot-down
Waffledynamics
AG
Gordo14

Wagner and Putin may be on another collision course as it appears elements of the Wagner deal with Belarus may be collapsing.
MouthBQ98
AG
Russia will either impress them into their own regular Military or send them to third world locations to relieve any special units they can bring home. I doubt they disband them and send them home.
Waffledynamics
AG
This can't be good.

Quote:

Mandatory evacuation declared in Kupiansk district of Kharkiv region

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/10-august-mandatory-evacuation-declared-in-kupiansk-district
B-1 83
AG
Explain? I can't make out anything from the post
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
74OA
AG
B-1 83 said:

Here you go. Today's SITREP.
AgLA06
AG
Looks like Russia launched an offensive in the area and Kuiansk is close to the front lines.
Waffledynamics
AG
B-1 83 said:

Reports of heavy shelling in several villages of the Kupyansk area, along with offensive actions/threats. Ukraine may also want to clear the area of saboteurs, and I've seen one Russian milblogger suggest that Ukraine may be retreating in order to do a flanking maneuver on the advancing Russians.

Either way, Russia has stepped things up in that area.
snizzler22
AG
They've been pushing here for a few weeks. This is where Ukraine reported 100k Russians amassed a little while back.
74OA
AG
sclaff said:

74OA said:

China says it will be "impartial" about Ukraine, peace talks in Saudi a slap to Putin and other miscellaneous notes.

The global sanctions regime is porous and unfortunately there are plenty of Western microchips and other products similarly being passed to Russia by unscrupulous vendors, but rarely by the OEM.

CHIPS
74OA
AG
SmallBusiness said:

2 patriot launchers
1 patriot system
Additional Patriots for Ukraine and other notes.

UPDATES
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian Defence Forces continue offensive operations at Bakhmut, Melitopol and Berdyansk directions, have partial success towards Urozhayne and south and south-east to Staromayorske, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/10-august-ukrainian-defence-forces-continue-offensive-operations
Waffledynamics
AG
shiftyandquick
Ukraine is paying the price for Biden administration slow-walking every single technology, for reasons I do not understand.

"Let's give them the tanks 1 year from now."
"Let's give them F16s 2 years from now."

IF you are going to give them at all, GIVE THEM NOW!
SamHou
I'm guessing it's because there is a finite aid budget. So the administration is using those limited resources for things that they think will deliver the most ROI and may avoid big ticket items that would kill the budget
74OA
AG
It's been an open question which of Patriot's many missile variants have been given to Ukraine. This clears it up.

FIVE
PJYoung
AG
Gilligan
AG
PJYoung said:

Another fireworks plant have a smoking incident? That looks pretty big.
txags92
AG
PJYoung said:

Good.
74OA
AG
First good look at the hole blown into the side of that Russian tanker.

ATTACK
bonfarr
AG
Have the Ukes expends all of the Javelins we gave them? I haven't seen any recent reports of their use and I know they were going through them as fast as we could supply them 6 months ago.

txags92
AG
bonfarr said:

Have the Ukes expends all of the Javelins we gave them? I haven't seen any recent reports of their use and I know they were going through them as fast as we could supply them 6 months ago.

The orcs have none done much advancing with armored vehicles lately, which was when the Ukes were lighting them up with the Javelins.
First Page Last Page
Page 1171 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.