***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,563,166 Views | 47754 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by 74OA
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JFABNRGR said:

RogerEnright said:

Quote:

I think they could easily rig a torpedo but not sure USA is on board with them sinking a sub just yet but I am sure as hell all for it.
Why not?

Purely my unqualified opinion but given the slow rolling of weapon system deliveries to date and imo what has always been the pride of russia in their sub fleet, in some sort of escalation fear.

It straddles that fine line of offensive versus defensive weapons. If they went out on the hunt and started torpedoing random orc ships, it could be seen as an offensive provocation. But if they only used it to hit sups that were firing cruise missiles at Ukrainian cities, it is a purely defensive act. To me, it is all war, regardless of the semantics involved, but our weapons supplies so far have tried to stay on the line of defensive weapons only.
LMCane
txags92 said:

SamHou said:

Given that it's a pretty static situation and Russia's mines are proving to be very problematic, what do you think is a realistic way for Ukraine to break through?

(I find it interesting that in some ways this war shows the future - drone warfare, but in some ways everything is still controlled by old tech - mines)
The mines are at least a part of why it is such a slow advance. I think the key is to get accurate artillery fire on the trenches using cluster munitions, suppress the orc drones to the degree you can, effectively counterbattery the orc artillery, and allow sapper troops and other clearing equipment to do their work unharried by the orcs. If you can get the orcs to abandon their positions because they are getting hammered by drones and artillery and not getting effective resupply, it makes it easier to take your time getting through the mine fields. All of that is easier said than done, but it sounds like the Ukrainians are working on it.
I don't believe the cluster munitions are actually effective at all in taking out trenches.

They are inaccurate, of small weight and designed for saturation of a large open area.

they are not working well in blowing up dug in Russkies in hardened bunkers.
LMCane
AGS-R-TUFF said:

In thinking out of the box…

What about developing a drone that could fire (or spray) a paint-like projectile, creating a huge mist or gaseous cloud that could target the camera system. It could be named PGD aka Paintball Gun Drone.

Funny as it may sound, but blind drone equals useless drone.
it seems like several on here don't know there are actually defenses against drones, it's just the Ukes don't possess them.

we don't need to invent new spray painting systems to take them out:

Burrus86
AG

We can also attach laser beams to sharks in order to address the Russkie sub problem.
aezmvp
Is it really crazier than using dolphins?
aezmvp
Jamming can be done directionally too.
2000AgPhD
PJYoung said:

Who would have thought when the balloon went up on this thing 18 months ago that we would be hearing this from Zelenskii today?
B-1 83
AG
I'm still thinking about the naval drones here……

How are the Russians taking them out? If expensive weaponry is needed (the time and wear/tear on personnel is a given), is it possible to produce really cheap naval drones that do nothing but eat up vital Russian assets that may be in short supply? Send sh%tloads of them as an irritant and generator of complacency before the more stealthy serious ones come to call.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
ABATTBQ11
AG
There are systems in development, but not fielded. They need something now that is easy and cheap to produce.
aezmvp
B-1 83 said:

I'm still thinking about the naval drones here……

How are the Russians taking them out? If expensive weaponry is needed (the time and wear/tear on personnel is a given), is it possible to produce really cheap naval drones that do nothing but eat up vital Russian assets that may be in short supply? Send sh%tloads of them as an irritant and generator of complacency before the more stealthy serious ones come to call.
They are using naval cannon and machine gun fire against the drones. You can produce the drones fairly cheaply. Cheaper than our torpedoes. They're using 2-3 max in some coordinated attacks but it's not like these cost $1500. They're probably $25-50k per based on what I can tell. They need are developing a different version which is mostly underwater with a better shaped charge to hopefully sink these ships and not just damage them. There is something to be said to filling up all their dry dock facilities and creating other issues (similarly to deliberately wounding enemy soldiers to get 2-3 off the battle field). I wouldn't be surprised to see the anti-missile systems with their chain guns to be put into some kind of drone defense mode where they can have a different selection mode. That seems the most likely US/NATO response to this type of warfare. Maybe some jamming systems too but that's a bit trickier.
Gordo14
Sounds like Ukraine has a 2nd successful bridgehead across the Dnieper river.
JFABNRGR
AG
Gordo14 said:

Sounds like Ukraine has a 2nd successful bridgehead across the Dnieper river.

I'll say….they snatched an orc major.
Waffledynamics
AG
That is what it seems, per Denys. Rybar also corroborates, so that's a Ukrainian and Russian claim each.

Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Russian-aligned source:

JFABNRGR
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/15lymaq/unbelievable_russian_major_taken_pow_after/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1
benchmark
AG
Good read.

WSJ: U.S.-Made Cluster Munitions Fuel Ukrainian Counteroffensive

Quote:

The cluster bombs are good. They are effective," said Capt. Anatoliy Kharchenko, commander of a reconnaissance company. "But the Russians are dug in deep, and they learn quickly."

Kharchenko said Russian trenches can be 7 feet deep and that the Russians are adapting by spreading their troops more thinly to avoid heavy losses.

Recent fighting around the village of Robotyne, southeast of Zaporizhzhia city, has demonstrated the effectiveness of the new weapon in Ukraine's arsenal.

In late July, a platoon was pinned down east of the village, taking heavy Russian fire. The unit radioed its commander, asking to withdraw. He told the platoon to take cover instead. Cluster bombs flew overhead. One soldier said he heard what sounded like rain, followed by chaos on Russian radio channels. "They were yelling, 'We have lots of wounded. We need to evacuate. We're pulling back,'" the Ukrainian soldier said. The platoon moved forward to capture the Russian position, soldiers said.

Quote:

Last week, as the 16-member platoon of Oleksandr, a 33-year-old infantry private, advanced toward a Russian position, it came under heavy fire from Russian machine guns. The Ukrainians were forced to retreat.

Then Ukraine hit the tree line hiding the Russian forces with cluster munitions. Brush and grass caught fire. When the next assault began, Oleksandr could see the Russians he was firing at, who were no longer concealed in the scrub.

His platoon captured the position, killing about 12 Russians and taking several others captive. The prisoners had suffered concussions and burns from the cluster bombs, he said.

"With the cluster bombs, you fire three times and the trees totally collapse," he said, adding that there was less incoming fire after the cluster attack. Because the munitions cause damage across a wide area, he said, they didn't need to be as accurate to be effective.

"Even if you miss a little, it still works," he said.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Looks like Ukraine hit some kind of plant near Moscow

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-moscow-drone-attack-41bd8dd4d4ddc0c56baf39f45728ade3
PJYoung
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Looks like Ukraine hit some kind of plant near Moscow

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-moscow-drone-attack-41bd8dd4d4ddc0c56baf39f45728ade3
Big boom.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Russia says fireworks storage, but that location supposedly made optics. Not sure what to believe, but I hope it's the latter
V8Aggie
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Russia says fireworks storage, but that location supposedly made optics. Not sure what to believe, but I hope it's the latter

I've seen a lot of fireworks warehouses explode. They don't leave a mushroom cloud like that.

If Russia said it then it's not true.
ABATTBQ11
AG
V8Aggie said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I've seen a lot of fireworks warehouses explode. They don't leave a mushroom cloud like that.

Wait... What?!
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian military hit command post of Russian army in Nova Kakhovka

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/9-august-ukrainian-military-hit-command-post-of-russian-army
V8Aggie
AG
Lol. There's always 1-2 that blow up every year. Hell they're usually posted here.
aezmvp
ABATTBQ11 said:

V8Aggie said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Wait... What?!
He was an extra on the Naked Gun films.
74OA
AG
More on the new river crossing by Ukraine and other updates.

Today's SITREP.
AgLA06
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I'm guessing Lancet drone production facility.
LMCane
Several of us have commented that it is imperative -

and what would create the best operational and strategic effect is to create a real bridgehead across the Dnipro.

It is too costly to continue every day to jam your head against Zaporizhe and Tokmak where there are literally 5 defensive lines.

But get across into southern Kherson Province, and it is literally tank country with no Russian defenses.

That opens up maneuver warfare and could isolate and cut off several BRIGADES of Russian troops.

hell, just go and pick up 50 DUKW from World War Two!! If the US Army could cross the much wider Rhine River with SS Divisions waiting on the other side, the Ukes should be able to figure out a way to get 5000 men across a river (with all of NATO providing equipment).
LMCane
txags92 said:

74OA said:

txags92 said:

It isnt endless if they are raising the conscript age to 65. They dont have as much manpower on tap as you think without tipping off moscow and st pete that things are not going to plan.
Russia had insufficient manpower to service its industry and agriculture even before the war started. With millions fleeing, accelerated conscription and hundreds of thousands of combat casualties, the Kremlin is now caught in a vice between feeding the fight and keeping its economy from collapsing. The raw manpower to do either is there, but not for both.
True. One of their big problems is that they have to try to insulate their major population centers in Moscow and St Petersburg from the effects of the war. It was mothers there who raised hell and eventually forced them to pull out of Afghanistan. As long as the thousands dying are coming from Chechnya or Dagestan or some other far flung dirt poor village, they won't be under any real pressure to change course. But if the effects of the war come back to mothers and families in Moscow and St Petersburg, they will have real trouble keeping a lid on the unrest.

Using that logic, it may make sense to begin long range strikes against Russian cities (targeting military sites)
Eliminatus
AG
Better picture.

It COULD be a fireworks factory. Depends on what stage of the production cycle it was involved in to get that normal color. Most though would be rust colored from the nitrates used. Or all sorts of weird stuff if it were late stage production. Mexico had a big one a couple years ago that was essentially a massive fireworks show but at ground level and killed a few people I think. Or that Chinese one at night that was apocalyptic looking.

I am extremely doubtful this is the case.
PJYoung
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

The great thing is no matter what it is a certain % of the Russian population will believe it's Ukraine doing it since they are almost nightly running drones into or near Moscow now.
lb3
AG
Optics plants don't do that either. I'm guessing the Ukes had bad intel. No clue as to what might have been there.
AgLA06
AG
lb3 said:

Optics plants don't do that either. I'm guessing the Ukes had bad intel. No clue as to what might have been there.
Could be. I doubt it. Optics plant is what it was claimed to be before it was hit.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgLA06 said:

lb3 said:

Could be. I doubt it. Optics plant is what it was claimed to be before it was hit.

Looks like it is some kind of campus and a warehouse was hit. Wonder what it damaged nearby.
JFABNRGR
AG
AgLA06 said:

lb3 said:

FWIW completely unverified and in the other video I can't see any artillery shells and not positive this is one either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/15mcfco/according_to_the_russian_government_these/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

No evidence of munitions here that I can see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/15mdicy/the_official_russian_explanation_is_that_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I would say if the factory isn't close to rail its likely not military but since orcs said fireworks leads me to believe it is military.
First Page Last Page
Page 1170 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.