***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,547,623 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by 74OA
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Every day the Russian milbloggers seem more comcerned about Ukrainian breakthrough in the South.
There is a tendency for some of those Russian milbloggers to be fatalistic given how jaded they've become over the past year of losses and stalemate. So, while it is nice to hear, folks do have to remember where they are emotionally.

That said, I feel it is inevitable Ukraine will find their breakthrough. The screws are tightening; the interdictions are becoming more frequent, larger, and deeper behind Russian lines.

I'm personally worried less about Ukraine not finding a breakthrough, but what will happen after that. There will be a temptation, one imagines, for those forces which find the breakthrough to press deeper and deeper into occupied territory. To state the obvious, that leaves them vulnerable to encirclement or to just get pounded into oblivion, of course. I certainly have a feeling Ukraine could really concentrate power and find a breakthrough in the next couple of weeks but I'm not sure a horizontally "thin" incursion is sustainable.

My military background is medical and logistics so I'm not sure what they should do here. Would the Russians have mined positions behind their lines to prevent a break through and attack from the rear?
aezmvp
Teslag said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Every day the Russian milbloggers seem more comcerned about Ukrainian breakthrough in the South.
There is a tendency for some of those Russian milbloggers to be fatalistic given how jaded they've become over the past year of losses and stalemate. So, while it is nice to hear, folks do have to remember where they are emotionally.

That said, I feel it is inevitable Ukraine will find their breakthrough. The screws are tightening; the interdictions are becoming more frequent, larger, and deeper behind Russian lines.

I'm personally worried less about Ukraine not finding a breakthrough, but what will happen after that. There will be a temptation, one imagines, for those forces which find the breakthrough to press deeper and deeper into occupied territory. To state the obvious, that leaves them vulnerable to encirclement or to just get pounded into oblivion, of course. I certainly have a feeling Ukraine could really concentrate power and find a breakthrough in the next couple of weeks but I'm not sure a horizontally "thin" incursion is sustainable.

My military background is medical and logistics so I'm not sure what they should do here. Would the Russians have mined positions behind their lines to prevent a break through and attack from the rear?
Key approaches and roads likely have mines either on them or cached nearby(ish) to be put on them. Depending on where you're talking about the terrain is pretty rough and there aren't a lot of north south roads in the area (even back roads) so it's not really that hard to predict where you'll need stuff like that for the logistics to support and advance. Plus with modern range finding you can do a pretty good job of spotting artillery in advance, premarking/preparing positions to fire from to attack those areas before moving away from counter battery range as much as possible.
The Fife
AgLA06 said:

Reading some of their communications is like reading an alien dialect. Makes my head hurt.
English and Russian are not closely related languages and I'd imagine a lot of the translations you've seen are the more direct type. Words that have more distinction or nuance in Russian sometimes come out as terms that are unusual or uncommon in English. Add to it that this may simply be Google Translate or some other automated translation and it will come out sounding a bit strange.
ttu_85
Teslag said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

The Ruskies could be do several of the following

1. Move forces from the area to deploy elsewhere.
2. They could be setting a trap making them think the area is vulnerable.
3. Local logistical problems.

Stuff like this is why you need good recon, Humans are sneaky sons a guns
P.U.T.U
AG
There are a lot of good books out there but one of the better ones that had similar warfare to what is happening in Ukraine is The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo. where the Allies were advancing while the Germans were retreating. The Germans laid boobytraps, IEDs, mines, and had each defensive position they fled dialed in by artillery. When the Allies advanced they would be behind something like a hedgerow and the Germans would lay down effective artillery fire almost immediately

The book also goes into great detail about the troop advancements and both Ukraine and Russia have had similar issues. They have a breakthrough and one of their troop elements gets out too far and cannot be effectively supported. In fact Russia has done this a few times this month around Bahkmut.
Ulysses90
AG
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1683604368094908418.html
74OA
AG
The tiny Baltics are accelerating the pooling of their defense resources even as NATO increases its rotational forces in those countries. Thanks again, Vlad.

SMART
PJYoung
AG

PJYoung
AG
agent-maroon
AG
No humanity. They're orcs in every sense of the word.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
The Taliban also did it so we would not be able to determine their causalties, I wouldn't claim them to be good humans. They just had more warfare common sense. Heck they martyred woman and children

Russia is different as they don't care about the enemy or their own troops.
Gordo14
Lots of evidence of a huge push with gains today in the South.

Looks like push is to Tokmak and then on to Melitopol if successful enough.
TXAggie2011
AG
P.U.T.U said:

The Taliban also did it so we would not be able to determine their causalties, I wouldn't claim them to be good humans. They just had more warfare common sense. Heck they martyred woman and children

Russia is different as they don't care about the enemy or their own troops.
That, but I would add its perhaps the one area where ISIS and the Taliban's hardcore religiousness led to a desirable result...removing their dead so they could have a proper burial.

Of course, ISIS also attacks Taliban burials because they have differing views on those practices. Very messy.
P.U.T.U
AG
Very true since the hardcore Muslims believe someone must be buried within 24 hours
aezmvp
Wouldn't hurt if they could get Polohy and prevent the Russians from using the T-04-01 (East West major roadway) to hit the Uke flank.
74OA
AG
There's a New York Times article just out, quoting US officials saying the main Ukrainian counterthrust is finally underway in the south. I can't get past the firewall to bring it here. Anyone else?

"U.S. Says Main Thrust of Ukraine's Counteroffensive Has Begun"
txags92
AG
74OA said:

There's a New York Times article just out, quoting US officials saying the main Ukrainian counterthrust is finally underway in the south. I can't get past the firewall to bring it here. Anyone else?

Clicking on the link in the tweet from Rob Lee that Gordo14 posted above worked for me.
74OA
AG
txags92 said:

74OA said:

Clicking on the link in the tweet from Rob Lee that Gordo14 posted above worked for me.
Here we go. SITREP
Gordo14
JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

txags92 said:

74OA said:

Here we go. SITREP

Reads like disinfo to me but to what purpose I have no idea and well above my pay grade.
Rossticus
ISW seems to be picking up on a southern Uk breakthrough too. Looks like each of Uk and Ru are experiencing relative success in different areas at the moment.

PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
10thYrSr
PJYoung said:

So Ukraine has a ton of pilots ready to fly f-16's but Russia is running short of pilots?

From a tactical viewpoint, does this pass the smell test?

A greater population who hasn't exerted air control over an inferior population is having trouble finding pilots?
Waffledynamics
AG
10thYrSr said:

PJYoung said:

So Ukraine has a ton of pilots ready to fly f-16's but Russia is running short of pilots?

A greater population who hasn't exerted air control over an inferior population is having trouble finding pilots?
This is a great question which I'd like to look more into. Does it have to do with pilot quality/flight hours? Have a lot of their experienced pilots been shot down? Has their training pipeline been insufficient compared to the supply of planes? Of course, there's also the possibility that the Russian pilot shortage is a fiction. Several possibilities.
aunuwyn08
AG
Just because you have a lot of people doesn't mean you have a lot of qualified and trained combat aviators.

It takes a lot of flight hours and money to train and sustain a pilot cadre, and even we are cutting corners on aviator training to support more strategically important fiscal priorities.
GAC06
AG
10thYrSr said:

PJYoung said:

The question isn't population, it's available aircraft and resources. It's plausible.
10thYrSr
aunuwyn08 said:

Just because you have a lot of people doesn't mean you have a lot of qualified and trained combat aviators.

It takes a lot of flight hours and money to train and sustain a pilot cadre, and even we are cutting corners on aviator training to support more strategically important fiscal priorities.

But the Russians still have enough pilots that they can still do this:
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/02/14/air-force-jets-intercept-russian-aircraft-near-alaska/

So they are doing just fine.
smstork1007
AG
10thYrSr said:

aunuwyn08 said:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/02/14/air-force-jets-intercept-russian-aircraft-near-alaska/

So 5 months ago, over 4000 miles away from theater, and you're talking about Russian Fighter jet pilots. The tweet/article your questioning is about KA 52 pilots. Now I have zero clue if they are running short on helicopter pilots or not, but your article does not apply at all imo.
JFABNRGR
AG
I can't speak for russian supply of pilots but all my friends have been stating we have our own issues filling and keeping filled pilot slots.
10thYrSr
smstork1007 said:

10thYrSr said:

aunuwyn08 said:

So 5 months ago, over 4000 miles away from theater, and you're talking about Russian Fighter jet pilots. The tweet/article your questioning is about KA 52 pilots. Now I have zero clue if they are running short on helicopter pilots or not, but your article does not apply at all imo.

You think 4 pilots died in Ukraine since then!? Tell me how many Russian pilots have died in Ukraine? Also tell me how many pilots exist in the Russian military.

You can't. So you can't say whether they are short or not. My argument is that they haven't been exerting air control, so there is no logical reason for a shortage of pilots.
smstork1007
AG
I clearly stated that I DID NOT KNOW if russia was having problems fielding Helicopter pilots or not. But I stand by what I said, your article does NOTHING to prove anything, other than 4 months ago they had pilots flying JET aircraft near the US border. And just so we are clear on this point, I doubt very seriously Russia has any pilots that fly both, hell I doubt we have many if any. Hope that helps to explain to why your article in this discussion was worthless.
Eliminatus
AG
PJYoung said:

Been wondering what the International Legion has been up to and the role of international fighters in general during this phase of the war. Makes sense about the use of them being essentially assault troops. There are actually very few military formations that engender this kind of tactic as a baseline fighting doctrine….and it's those sort of people who find themselves in this type of international force.
fullback44
AG
10thYrSr said:

aunuwyn08 said:

I doubt Russia is going to pull essential territorial pilots that protect the motherland to fight in Ukraine.. those squadrons that have special protection duties are probably not being touched I would think …they are also prob not protecting borders with attack helicopters.. those guys are flying their best jets I imagine .. just my 2 cents
10thYrSr
smstork1007 said:

I clearly stated that I DID NOT KNOW if russia was having problems fielding Helicopter pilots or not. But I stand by what I said, your article does NOTHING to prove anything, other than 4 months ago they had pilots flying JET aircraft near the US border. And just so we are clear on this point, I doubt very seriously Russia has any pilots that fly both, hell I doubt we have many if any. Hope that helps to explain to why your article in this discussion was worthless.

KA-52 loss is mentioned AFTER the pilot loss claims in the tweet. It didn't state there was a loss in KA-52 pilots.

ETA: the post DID cite a KA-52 shoot down, which the tweet was referencing. My apologies and I was wrong in this regard.
First Page Last Page
Page 1158 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.