***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,546,857 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 74OA
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA said:

AgLA06 said:

If I remember correctly communication got confused in the fog of battle. They thought they were asked to confirm their coordinates to ensure they wouldn't be hit and those coordinates were instead used to target.
Mistakes under stress are inevitable. I was just pointing out that the bombs didn't fly off target on their own.
Is this the one where the F-14's asked for them to repeat coordinates and they gave them their own coordinates thinking the Tomcats were wanting to verify where they were?
74OA
AG
JB!98 said:

74OA said:

AgLA06 said:

If I remember correctly communication got confused in the fog of battle. They thought they were asked to confirm their coordinates to ensure they wouldn't be hit and those coordinates were instead used to target.
Mistakes under stress are inevitable. I was just pointing out that the bombs didn't fly off target on their own.
Is this the one where the F-14's asked for them to repeat coordinates and they gave them their own coordinates thinking the Tomcats were wanting to verify where they were?
See the link I posted near the bottom of the previous page. It's all I know about it.
P.U.T.U
AG
That is correct sir, ODA 595 also had the same thing happen to the 2 weeks before I believe. They JTAC/CCT didn't have the GPS calibrated correctly and it was a few hundred meters off. They changed SOPs and also started working on different technologies so danger close bombs like this were more accurate.

Russia doesn't care if a bomb misses and kills their own guys, they will just fire another one. Hence why their stuff has a range around 10-30 meters while ours is 1-3 meters.
Not a Bot
AG

japantiger
S

Per Putin: "The Wagner guys have started to stress us. They want to go west. 'Let's go on a trip to Warsaw and Rzeszow'," he was quoted as saying.

Wagner Troops In Belarus 'Want To Go West' Into Poland, Lukashenka Quips During Meeting With Putin (rferl.org)

Rzeszow is the main US logistics base in Poland for shipping gear into the Ukraine...the 101st is there.
74OA
AG
Suddenly, Lukashenka's the big man after supposedly talking Wagner out of its mutiny.

He survives so long as his talk services Putin's walk.
Rossticus
Zero chance in ever. Period. Lol.
74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

Zero chance in ever. Period. Lol.
Seriously.

Wagner couldn't beat the Ukrainians in one battle after trying for almost a year.

Now Putin and his Belorussian lackey are holding it back from going after NATO?

<laughter ensues>
GAC06
AG
japantiger said:

Per Putin: "The Wagner guys have started to stress us. They want to go west. 'Let's go on a trip to Warsaw and Rzeszow'," he was quoted as saying.

Wagner Troops In Belarus 'Want To Go West' Into Poland, Lukashenka Quips During Meeting With Putin (rferl.org)

Rzeszow is the main US logistics base in Poland for shipping gear into the Ukraine...the 101st is there.

I guess that maybe gets him something domestically for talking big? It gets nothing but laughter from NATO.
ABATTBQ11
AG
japantiger said:

That's an excellent way to get killed
Rossticus
To be fair, Poland wouldn't need NATO help to kick the crap out of Wagner and Belarus.
DCPD158
AG
Rossticus said:

To be fair, Poland wouldn't need NATO help to kick the crap out of Wagner and Belarus.

Poland wants them, no, begs them, to try.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
Waffledynamics
AG
Curious. It isn't reflected on DeepState's map yet, if true.

https://deepstatemap.live/en#10/49.2539/37.9990
Rossticus

Rossticus
aezmvp
Rossticus said:

It's hard to imagine a guy who finished his conscription service in 1983-84 as adding a whole lot to the strength of your fighting force in Ukraine. Might keep vehicles moving and tires from rotting in spots though.
Waffledynamics
AG
DCPD158 said:

Rossticus said:

Poland wants them, no, begs them, to try.
sclaff
AG
New trenches being built.

Reporting From Ukraine made the comment many are mined dummy trenches … a variation of the technique used by the Ukrainians in Bakhmut of mining buildings and exploding them when occupied by the orcs

sclaff
AG
3:00 minutes in, addresses orc activity in the Kharkiv region

This is the "100,000 troop / 900 tank" operation ballyhooed last week

sclaff
AG
Jetpilot86
AG
Felt very safe when I dropped some stuff off there last fall.
74OA
AG
EU stepping up to move Ukraine's grain overland to market.

RAIL
Gordo14
AgLA06
AG
Gordo14 said:

That's probably for a couple of reasons.

• They are comparing it to their capabilities and the recent performance of the supposed #2 military in the world.
  • Russian sources see first hand what the shaping / attrition operations are doing to their forces.
  • There's a lot more at stake for Russia than some basement internet warrior in the US.
  • According to the live maps there really isn't much to stop them after they have a major break through.

I still think it's pretty impressive they've held their own and been able to launch successful offensives to take back land without any real air force or navy regardless of what they've been supplied. Hell, the've been more successful than the French have been in the last 150 years.

Rossticus
If they can hold the line and continue to attrit Russia until F-16s arrive, I like their eventual chances at serious breakthroughs and routs along the front. Even if, as expected, they're only using their new aircraft as bomb trucks, they should be able to really begin to turn the screws at that point.
Gordo14
AgLA06 said:

Gordo14 said:

That's probably for a couple of reasons.

• They are comparing it to their capabilities and the recent performance of the supposed #2 military in the world.
  • Russian sources see first hand what the shaping / attrition operations are doing to their forces.
  • There's a lot more at stake for Russia than some basement internet warrior in the US.
  • According to the live maps there really isn't much to stop them after they have a major break through.

I still think it's pretty impressive they've held their own and been able to launch successful offensives to take back land without any real air force or navy regardless of what they've been supplied. Hell, the've been more successful than the French have been in the last 150 years.

Oh I agree. I'm just pointing out for everybody sitting halfway across the world looking claiming that the counteroffensive is over based on that one video that the beginning... Russian Milbloggers continue to disagree with your assessment.
AgLA06
AG
Rossticus said:

If they can hold the line and continue to attrit Russia until F-16s arrive, I like their eventual chances at serious breakthroughs and routs along the front. Even if, as expected, they're only using their new aircraft as bomb trucks, they should be able to really begin to turn the screws at that point.
They have to gain air superiority in offensive areas ( neutralize SAMs) first.

I'm still worried F-16s will be a lot like the first week of the armor offensive. While I imagine Uke pilots will be better than the Russian counterparts, the SU35 doesn't have to dog fight with it's stand off capability to keep F16s out of the fight.

I almost think it would wise to focus them on the black sea.
GAC06
AG
I tend to agree. I don't expect dramatic results like air superiority or actual CAS integrated with ground maneuver. Russia will still have a lot of SAMs and advantages in fighters. It should make Russia have to account for a lot of strike possibilities though.
aezmvp
I think that depends entirely on the munitions that go with those falcons. I wouldn't want to take a 16 into Sevastopol air space without a dedicated multi-week campaign to take out their pickets and harm the hell out of their air-defense. Those would be difficult missions requiring a lot of probably NATO planned strike missions that I would want my guys planned and trained on.

This isn't Ace Combat where you can send these fighters into extremely hostile airspace and just expect them to take out a dozen targets each. I think you're likely to see them used to get stand off and lobbed munitions with a supporting BARCAP hitting targets that are either known or laser designated by drone or infantry / SOF.
74OA
AG
Fresh notes about the naval war going on off of Ukraine's coast.

BLACK SEA
74OA
AG
It also depends which generation radar, EW and targeting system are installed in the delivered F-16s.

Without something reasonably current, they'll just be a prettier MIG-29.
aezmvp
74OA said:

It also depends which generation radar, EW and targeting system are installed in the delivered F-16s.

Without something reasonably current, they'll just be a prettier MIG-29.
Absolutely correct. From what you can tell in the OSINT stuff out there Russia is running 2-3 rings of light patrol ships and corvettes with some probably off the books ships that have man pads or machine guns for spotting USVs/drones. I would be very suspicious of ANYTHING afloat once those 16s get delivered West of Crimea. There's obviously a long history of disguised merchantmen going back thousands of years, and the Russians are no strangers to this. (We have done it too back to before the founding so w/e.)

I can think of several operational concepts for creating openings to hit the Russian Navy in Sevastopol and if you watch things carefully you'll see that the Ukes are already using USV and air drones to execute combined attacks on the port now. I am 100% certain that when they're doing that there is real time observation on those attacks for future targeting info. If you check the maritime traffic there is a big empty space in the north western Black Sea that is most assuredly not empty. Hell I wouldn't run AIS as a trawler out there either.

Speaking of which it still astounds me that the Russians built some of their newest corvettes without native anti-air missiles on board. Strapping a TOR to your flight deck is bananas.
RONA Ag
AG
Can someone give a brief synopsis on how the offensive is going? Trying to clean information from all the posts but having difficulty tracking. Sounds like Ukraine is slowly pushing Russia out of previously occupied territory headwind southeast toward the Sea of Azov and has made more progress than originally projected. Fair to say?
74OA
AG
As if disarming mines on dry land isn't difficult and dangerous enough.

SEA MINES
74OA
AG
RONA Ag said:

Can someone give a brief synopsis on how the offensive is going? Trying to clean information from all the posts but having difficulty tracking. Sounds like Ukraine is slowly pushing Russia out of previously occupied territory headwind southeast toward the Sea of Azov and has made more progress than originally projected. Fair to say?
SITREP
First Page Last Page
Page 1156 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.