***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,538,055 Views | 47719 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Waffledynamics
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More Bradleys is obvious, but the Strykers are interesting. We've seen two (or three?) extra allocations of Strykers after the large initial batch but I haven't seen any evidence of losses or combat use at all so far
docb
AG
I hope Ukraine can develop a homegrown long range missile during this conflict without limitations on targets deep in Russia. It's only fair.
ABATTBQ11
AG
GAC06 said:

More Bradleys is obvious, but the Strykers are interesting. We've seen two (or three?) extra allocations of Strykers after the large initial batch but I haven't seen any evidence of losses or combat use at all so far

There are several battalions still being held in reserve. The strykers and a lot of Bradleys are assigned to those
Ag In Ok
AG
Any word on the Russian 100k assault?
JFABNRGR
AG
GAC06 said:

I saw that as well. About a week ago the Brads were 16% of supplied lost but not a single Stryker or Abrams lost. This was the same time someone posted that the counter assault was a total failure and that all but 4 battalions had been committed.
aezmvp
Ag In Ok said:

They've shifted quite a bit of men and material up that way but nothing has gone in yet that I'm aware of.
Waffledynamics
AG
Russian-affiliated milblogger:
https://t.me/rybar/49835
Quote:

The situation at the end of the day on July 18, 2023

Fierce fighting continues on the flanks of Bakhmut . Russian gunners, together with units of the Airborne Forces, repulse enemy attacks in the Berkhovka area.

However, in the area of Kleshcheevka , the consolidated assault groups of the 3rd and 5th battalions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, as a result of the hardest fighting and at the cost of heavy losses, managed to cling to the adjacent heights.

The attacks of Ukrainian formations in small groups continue without stopping. The rotation of the personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine is regularly carried out, which allows us to continue the tactics of "meat assault" without the support of armored vehicles.

The control of the Armed Forces of Ukraine over tactical heights greatly complicates the task of defending Kleshcheevka. In addition, the return of lost positions by Russian units is hampered by the same problem as on the Zaporozhye front - the lack of rotation and reinforcements. Delay in resolving the issue of supporting the defending units of the RF Armed Forces in this area threatens with sad consequences.

Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Wtf

Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
JFABNRGR said:

GAC06 said:

I saw that as well. About a week ago the Brads were 16% of supplied lost but not a single Stryker or Abrams lost. This was the same time someone posted that the counter assault was a total failure and that all but 4 battalions had been committed.

They are still training on the Abrams. I don't think they even have them assigned to battalions yet.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Wtf

Someone should remind Sergei that the people he's supposed to be fighting for give no ****s about him and would rather drink beer with apathy and watch him die than be bothered to lift a finger to save him.
GAC06
AG
Yeah, I was saying it's interesting they're sending additional batches of Strykers, the combat losses of Bradleys is self explanatory
ABATTBQ11
AG
Adding more reserves or anticipating combat losses.
Eliminatus
AG
aezmvp said:

Ag In Ok said:

They've shifted quite a bit of men and material up that way but nothing has gone in yet that I'm aware of.
Right as we shift forward cluster munitions. Makes me wonder if that had a role of sorts in that decision, as I am sure we have been watching this gathering too. Even if Russia can gather 100K troops in one area, I can't believe all of them will be quality well trained units. So more human wave type attacks are probably expected. And nothing gets arty guys more lubed up than getting fire missions of "troops in the open". Arm them with DPICMs and it is literally perfect conditions for those.
10thYrSr
Eliminatus said:

aezmvp said:

Ag In Ok said:

Right as we shift forward cluster munitions. Makes me wonder if that had a role of sorts in that decision, as I am sure we have been watching this gathering too. Even if Russia can gather 100K troops in one area, I can't believe all of them will be quality well trained units. So more human wave type attacks are probably expected. And nothing gets arty guys more lubed up than getting fire missions of "troops in the open". Arm them with DPICMs and it is literally perfect conditions for those.

Biden already said we (and Ukraine) are low on artillery ammo. So, any discussion about artillery and future rounds seems impotent.
Eliminatus
AG
More attacks on civilian targets in Odesa. Big missiles. Claims are of Kalibers launched from Crimea with some unconfirmed video of the launches.

Aside from the literal murder of even more civilians, there was discussion around the web that predicted this and I can't help but agree with the logic. Whenever something big and negative occurs to Russia, i.e. Kerch bridge attack, they lash out and hit large civilian populations every. single. time. How f'ing petty can Russia be? Awful stuff. And absolutely pointless from a strategic point.

10thYrSr
Eliminatus said:

More attacks on civilian targets in Odesa. Big missiles. Claims are of Kalibers launched from Crimea with some unconfirmed video of the launches.

Aside from the literal murder of even more civilians, there was discussion around the web that predicted this and I can't help but agree with the logic. Whenever something big and negative occurs to Russia, i.e. Kerch bridge attack, they lash out and hit large civilian populations every. single. time. How f'ing petty can Russia be? Awful stuff. And absolutely pointless from a strategic point.

Not pointless from a strategic point. They need to provide wins to their population to sustain the war.

Surely you must know that. Operation Desert Storm was presented in much the same way.
Rossticus
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Not pointless from a strategic point. They need to provide wins to their population to sustain the war.

Surely you must know that. Operation Desert Storm was presented in much the same way.
Is this sarcasm? Cruise missiles launched against civilian targets is terrorism. High tech weaponry being used is far beyond what an ISIS-type insurgency could ever have available, but terrorism nonetheless. If you could make the case that Desert Storm was conducted as a terroristic campaign then lay it out here, but otherwise that's a terrible take.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RogerEnright
ABATTBQ11 said:

They are still training on the Abrams. I don't think they even have them assigned to battalions yet.
Don't we expect the Abrams to be stationed closer to Kyiv and closer to Western maintenance?
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian Defence Forces have success at Velyka Novosilka - Staromayorske and Novosilka - Staromayorske directions, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/19-july-ukrainian-defence-forces-have-success-at-velyka-novosilka

Also, Crimea and Odesa got very fiery in the last 12-24 hours, but there are several links and my phone is not loading well. Check LiveUaMap.
Waffledynamics
AG
I'm not so sure there wouldn't be military equipment in Odesa, too.
PJYoung
AG
74OA
AG
Looks like the master strategist blinked just now.

ARREST
PJYoung
AG
TheEternalPessimist
Rossticus said:

The Russians are responding to the bridge in Crimea being attacked.

TheEternalPessimist
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Is this sarcasm? Cruise missiles launched against civilian targets is terrorism. High tech weaponry being used is far beyond what an ISIS-type insurgency could ever have available, but terrorism nonetheless. If you could make the case that Desert Storm was conducted as a terroristic campaign then lay it out here, but otherwise that's a terrible take.
How do you KNOW for certain they are civilian targets?

I posted this last year -- but I had friends who were living south of the city center in Kiev just 2 blocks north of the main soccer stadium. The Ukrainians stationed anti-air missiles in the courtyard immediately adjacent to the building full of flats and apartments. They also were using the lobby of the building as a control center. My friend, who served in the old Soviet Armed forces in Afghanistan, confronted the officers and soldiers about the danger to civilians to no avail.

Regardless of the civilians that were living there.... the actions of the Ukrainian military made their building a legitimate target.
74OA
AG
EU undertakes a massive initiative to protect undersea assets in the wake of the Nord Stream sabotage.

PESCO
JFABNRGR
AG
For anyone interested in INF ops this 12 minute vid of very difficult raid on orc trench is outstanding. Well executed OP Order. Has it all: preplanning, rehearsal, leadership, violence of action, real time intel, coms, coordination's, resupply, SSSSS, AAR....even fear/ hesitation overcome by leadership.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/153r3o3/english_subtitles_soldiers_from_the_3rd/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

PJYoung
AG
JFABNRGR said:

For anyone interested in INF ops this 12 minute vid of very difficult raid on orc trench is outstanding. Well executed OP Order. Has it all: preplanning, rehearsal, leadership, violence of action, real time intel, coms, coordination's, resupply, SSSSS, AAR....even fear/ hesitation overcome by leadership.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/153r3o3/english_subtitles_soldiers_from_the_3rd/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Trench warfare is horrific.
74OA
AG
Miscellaneous notes.

UPDATES
Gordo14
TheEternalPessimist said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

How do you KNOW for certain they are civilian targets?

I posted this last year -- but I had friends who were living south of the city center in Kiev just 2 blocks north of the main soccer stadium. The Ukrainians stationed anti-air missiles in the courtyard immediately adjacent to the building full of flats and apartments. They also were using the lobby of the building as a control center. My friend, who served in the old Soviet Armed forces in Afghanistan, confronted the officers and soldiers about the danger to civilians to no avail.

Regardless of the civilians that were living there.... the actions of the Ukrainian military made their building a legitimate target.

Well for one they spent all winter attacking Ukraine's power grid. Plenty of evidence that none of those had military objects nearby. Yesterday they targeted grain silos and other grain exporting infrastructure in Odessa the day the grain deal was cancelled. I'm sure there were tanks hiding behind them (I mean I certainly can't disprove it!). I've seen enough appartment buildings get hit to know they aren't legitimate military targets.

See here's the thing. What Ukraine had to do at the beginning of the war when Russia was literally in the suburbs of Kyiv is not what they are doing now. Your dumb anecdote is irrelevant to the fact Russia is targeting civilian infrastructure very deliberately and it's blatantly obvious. Why are you so concerned about goaltending for Russia's evil? It's very "but both sides". One side is invading. One side is targetting civilian infrastructure. One side is stealing children and deporting civilians to Siberia.
First Page Last Page
Page 1150 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.