***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,544,958 Views | 47727 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 74OA
benchmark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA said:

Here's another excellent review of the factors behind the Wagner rebellion. Well worth reading.
Nails. Thanks for sharing.
JFABNRGR
AG
Slow & steady!

JFABNRGR
AG
NSFW
This is why its slow and costly.
At 9:14 that's a medic who jumps off the ramp and I am convinced he is not one of the original group stuck there.
Courage and Sacrifice.
**** putin and the orcs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/14jmqqs/ukrainian_troops_get_caught_in_a_minefield_in/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
lb3
AG
txaggie02
AG
JFABNRGR said:

NSFW
At 9:14 that's a medic who jumps off the ramp and I am convinced he is not one of the original group stuck there.
Courage and Sacrifice.
**** putin and the orcs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/14jmqqs/ukrainian_troops_get_caught_in_a_minefield_in/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Jeez. That's brutal. I can only imagine the amount of mines that the Ukes are going to have to deal with during their counter offensive. Thousands upon thousands.
PJYoung
AG
Bryan98
AG
74OA said:

Here's another excellent review of the factors behind the Wagner rebellion. Well worth reading.

"It is worth emphasizing that on Saturday the threat to him (Putin) personally and to his regime was real. Both the risk and the humiliation were incomparably greater than anything that could happen in Ukraine. Compared to power in Russia, land in Ukraine is unimportant. After what we have just seen, no one should be arguing that Putin might be backed into a corner in Ukraine and take some terrible decision. He cannot be backed into a corner in Ukraine. He can only be backed into a corner in Russia. And now we know what he does when that happens: record a speech and run away."

10 LESSONS
This statement assumes that Putin is an unlearning robot who acts the same way every time. More likely, imho, is that he sees how weak he looked, and reacts in a dramatically different fashion the next time he is challenged.

Everyone compares Putin and Russia to criminals like the mob - if so, he knows he'd better look a lot stronger next time, and he may be actively looking for a way to demonstrate strength, consequences for disloyalty, etc. right now. The most effective way imho would be getting Prigozhin.
DapperDanMan
AG
That was freaking heartbreaking to watch! Heartbreaking and inspiring all the same time because everyone was coming out one way or another.
Slava Ukraini!
JFABNRGR
AG
txaggie02 said:

JFABNRGR said:

NSFW
Courage and Sacrifice.
**** putin and the orcs.

Jeez. That's brutal. I can only imagine the amount of mines that the Ukes are going to have to deal with during their counter offensive. Thousands upon thousands.
and for generations upon generations long after the war is over.......just ****ing horrible!
74OA
AG
Reavers. "In a surprising admission, Prigozhin said in recorded remarks that the war in Ukraine was caused by Russian elites who wanted to plunder the smaller nation." Prigozhin too, I'm sure.

CRACKS
74OA
AG
Bryan98 said:

74OA said:

"It is worth emphasizing that on Saturday the threat to him (Putin) personally and to his regime was real. Both the risk and the humiliation were incomparably greater than anything that could happen in Ukraine. Compared to power in Russia, land in Ukraine is unimportant. After what we have just seen, no one should be arguing that Putin might be backed into a corner in Ukraine and take some terrible decision. He cannot be backed into a corner in Ukraine. He can only be backed into a corner in Russia. And now we know what he does when that happens: record a speech and run away."

10 LESSONS
This statement assumes that Putin is an unlearning robot who acts the same way every time. More likely, imho, is that he sees how weak he looked, and reacts in a dramatically different fashion the next time he is challenged.

Everyone compares Putin and Russia to criminals like the mob - if so, he knows he'd better look a lot stronger next time, and he may be actively looking for a way to demonstrate strength, consequences for disloyalty, etc. right now. The most effective way imho would be getting Prigozhin.
The more important point in that quote is that the West should not be self-deterred by Putin's incessant warnings of escalation in Ukraine, because only the threat of losing power in Russia is enough to back him into a corner.
PJYoung
AG
fka ftc
Didn't realize I clicked on this thread, cat gifs aside.
rgag12
AG
JFABNRGR said:

NSFW
Courage and Sacrifice.
**** putin and the orcs.

Wow, talk about "look before you leap". War is hell
74OA
AG
More on the breakthrough across the Dnieper River at the Antonovsky Bridge and other updates.

Today's SITREP.
P.U.T.U
AG
Tipofthespear on Instagram is a retired Green Beret doing mine clearing in Ukraine, I believe so far 2 of the non-veteran volunteers have stepped on those mines and had partial amputations. He is doing it for civilians, more specifically farmers, since they don't have the ability to clear their fields. In a few months his team of 1-3 people have removed thousands of various mines.

Like in Afghanistan and Vietnam, the remaining mines from the war are going to kill/injure a ton of civilians for decades.
Rossticus
This is getting a bit interesting.

JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

More on the breakthrough across the Dnieper River at the Antonovsky Bridge and other updates.

Today's SITREP.
Jeez in several of those videos they crossed in broad daylight. No fog no night and then just walked south like they were on a stroll. That BTR firing must have been their retreat from the area. Looks like they are carrying Javelins or NLAWs.

Link to Sevastopul defenses was as good article as well.

Doubled the amount of dolphins, Nets now 5 layers deep. Auto depth charge launch platforms. Fast Boats and Helos.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/06/russia-dolphins-ukrainian-attacks/#prettyPhoto
PJYoung
AG
Eliminatus
AG
rgag12 said:

JFABNRGR said:

NSFW
Courage and Sacrifice.
**** putin and the orcs.

Wow, talk about "look before you leap". War is hell

That triggered such a random memory for me. We had a thing in boot camp where the DI will yell "ZERO!" at random points. At which time the recruits would immediately freeze in their spots and hold their positions. And no shifting to get comfortable or anything. It means to literally freeze your body as soon as you here it. You even scream back "FREEZE OR DIE!"
You move or even twitch you got hazed. It was usually meant to **** with us but as with most things there was purpose behind it. To condition us to immediately stop in a minefield. DI got me once when I was bent over. I lost my balance and fell forward onto a knee. DI was instantly at me screaming I just killed myself and the recruits near me and to never take a knee in a minefield. Had a tough time on the quarterdeck after that one.

That's exactly what this medic did. Damn that was hard to see. But he knew the danger and he knew his guys were in trouble and made the literal leap of faith. Bless all medics and corpsmen. Their earn every ounce of respect they get. Grunts hold them on pedestals for good reason. (Also fastest way to become unalive is to mess with our docs. We hold that in solidarity with our Army brethren). Docs and CAS pilots always get drinks on me.

I know part of the assistance we provide is a considerable amount of medical expertise and care to include prosthetics. Dozens of wounded Ukes have already received them here in the States with more coming soon. I wonder how that lottery is done?

To talk about the mines, I think I can roughly see the outline of it right as he puts his knee on it. Circular and not tiny so guessing it was probably a PMN series of AP mine. Probably the 4. It's nasty albeit pretty standard. They actually have less than half the power of a standard US hand grenade but the force is almost entirely directed upward. Small but very efficient. Russia is obsessed with land mines and produces so many of a large number of varieties. Even those nasty little PFM-1s that are notorious for being shaped and colored like childrens toys. Which they promptly deny that is the reason for it of course.

I can now say I have exhausted each specific focus of munitions I have on this thread. Trained on demolitions, anti-armor, mines/ de-mining, general UXO. Basically if it went boom, I wanted to play with it and someone usually let me. Idiots. No expert of course but if anyone has any questions about any of that in this conflict, I can usually hedge an informed guess at the very least or know where to look it up. Also, humanitarian de-mining is the one job I have ever turned down in my life and gotta say, zero regrets.
knj2417
AG
These are smaller anti personnel mines, can they damage a BTR? Was wondering why they don't just back right up to the wounded and open the gate? I am in no way remotely familiar in this subject, just asking a question
Eliminatus
AG
knj2417 said:

These are smaller anti personnel mines, can they damage a BTR? Was wondering why they don't just back right up to the wounded and open the gate? I am in no way remotely familiar in this subject, just asking a question
Almost all minefields are considered "mixed minefields" and is exactly that. Anti personnel AND anti tank mixed liberally together. If you are in a minefield, you HAVE to assume both types will be in it. Odds are overwhelmingly in favor that it is.

AP mines won't typically hurt an armored tracked vehicle unless very unlucky and damages a track. But if there are AP, there will probably be AT and those videos of those huge stockpiles being hit with drones were all ATs, assuming TM-62 variants from what I have seen. They are definitely in theater and in huge numbers and would devastate a Bradley.

Found a video of what I am referring to about the stockpiles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/yt5x64/ukraine_mavic_drone_destroy_russian_stockpile_of/
Teslag
AG
Spent my first enlisted years as an army 68W. The mental aspect of that MOS was miserable. I simply couldn't take another day of it and reclassed.
JFABNRGR
AG
knj2417 said:

No the little mines won't bother much unless directly contacted by soft tissue. In that video it looks like some of the vehicles were hit by the larger mines. So mixed types. At some point in the video one of the soldiers furthest from the IFV is trying to clear a path by shooting into the ground at his feet. I cant remember if he goes through more than one mag. They are very small but very damaging if close enough to the body but won't touch armor. There are vids with UKR soldiers triggering them just a few feet away. (too close IMO).

There is also a long white line which I cant tell if that's a line clearing charge or some type of marker they had out in the mine field.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
That is awful. This has to end soon.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
Gordo14
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Russia can end it by leaving whenever they want. 70% of Ukranians want to continue until they recover all their lost territory.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/403133/ukrainians-support-fighting-until-victory.aspx

Russia is the party that forced this war on Ukraine. They are in the wrong. I would love for this war to end tomorrow, but Ukraine is fighting for their existence. Russia is fighting for imperialist fantasies of a dictator. Glad you're finally acknowledging how evil Russia's actions are.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
You got all that from 8 words?
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
Gordo14
PlaneCrashGuy said:

You got all that from 8 words?

I got all that from your prior posts.
P.U.T.U
AG
Spoke with my 18d friend, he said that's the difference between troops that have 68w or higher training with them vs not. He said to avoid mass casualties you better be able to treat yourself
LarryElder
Gordo14 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

Russia can end it by leaving whenever they want. 70% of Ukranians want to continue until they recover all their lost territory.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/403133/ukrainians-support-fighting-until-victory.aspx

Russia is the party that forced this war on Ukraine. They are in the wrong. I would love for this war to end tomorrow, but Ukraine is fighting for their existence. Russia is fighting for imperialist fantasies of a dictator. Glad you're finally acknowledging how evil Russia's actions are.
UKE will have to negotiate they cant push Russia out
Teslag
AG
Until then they should liberate as much as they possibly can.
Teslag
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Spoke with my 18d friend, he said that's the difference between troops that have 68w or higher training with them vs not. He said to avoid mass casualties you better be able to treat yourself

I used to train non 68 series in CLS courses. It's a brilliant program.
AgBank
AG
I dunno.

It seems it will be: Gradually and then suddenly.
Gordo14
LarryElder said:

Gordo14 said:

PlaneCrashGuy said:

UKE will have to negotiate they cant push Russia out

Seeing what happened this past weekend, they absolutely can. Russia is probably a lot closer to self-destruction than you realize. That doesn't mean it will happen of course, but if Prigozhin didn't stop Russia's ability to wage war would have absolutely collapsed. There's any number of potential breaking points, some that we may not even be able to imagine today, that could be just around the corner. I think for example, Ukraine is withholding the majority of their offensive combat power for when they find that potential breaking point.

At every stage of this conflict thus far, Russia has underperformed and underachieved. They aren't united. They don't have a reasonable or cohesive strategy. Ukraine is a stronger military force than they were in February 2022 - could you say the same for Russia? Time is actually more on Ukraine's side because the government's legitimacy isn't tied to the expectation that they should have already won the war.
Rossticus

First Page Last Page
Page 1124 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.