***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,550,882 Views | 47731 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Waffledynamics
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering the Russian Black Sea fleet's overwhelming advantage in power, the current naval situation is a success for Ukraine.

STALEMATE
JB!98
AG
pagerman @ work said:

nortex97 said:

Good thread/maps of the evolving front/lines.
It's interesting (and no, I mean nothing by this comparison, good or bad, just that I find it interesting visually) how much the occupied area of Ukraine reminds me of South Vietnam.
Holy crap. Good catch.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Rossticus said:

Oh, absolutely. I just meant, unless I'm mistaken, the pro-Russian contingent has control of the depot.

Ya pretty sure that's correct. I think there's something like 1,500 peacekeepers there, not sure what the national makeup is between Russia, Transnistria, and Moldova.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
txags92
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

Rossticus said:

Oh, absolutely. I just meant, unless I'm mistaken, the pro-Russian contingent has control of the depot.

Ya pretty sure that's correct. I think there's something like 1,500 peacekeepers there, not sure what the national makeup is between Russia, Transnistria, and Moldova.
I believe the "peacekeepers" are all Russian. Moldova has pushed to have a multinational force and Russia has refused.
RebelE Infantry
AG
txags92 said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Rossticus said:

I believe the "peacekeepers" are all Russian. Moldova has pushed to have a multinational force and Russia has refused.

Ya I just ran across a tweet with some more detail. 1,500ish Russians in addition to 10k or so local forces.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
Eliminatus
AG
One year ago, today. I stayed up all night glued to my computer trying to absorb everything that I was seeing.

The first reported image from the invasion. A still capture at the border crossing of Ukraine and Crimea if I remember correctly.

I posted this on page 3 from the first few hours of the invasion and can see I was half right and half wrong with hindsight.

Quote:

The more I look at things and just think about it....I don't see this turning out well for Russia. Thinking as unbiased as I can be.

This is not a million man army but a specialized attack force of less than 200K against an entire nation from what I can tell. The Ukes may not be the strongest but I do believe that they are going to fight as they say. They already are to their credit.

I just don't see how Russia has not bitten off more than they can chew, IF the Ukes truly fight to the last and draw this out.

Russia can take most of Ukraine in the moment I am sure. Hold? That is such a different story. I have personal experience in that along with many others on this board.

Again, looking at this as objectively as possible I am truly puzzled at the long term goals of Russia here. Did Putin REALY believe his own words and think this is just a quick cleanse and liberation?

Was right about Ukraine holding out and wrong about Russian capabilities. They absolutely bungled the whole invasion up. That is straight fact at this point.

There has been a LOT of awesome analysis, discussion, and learning from this thread but for some reason the one takeaway I have above all others that jumps into my mind was something uttered by a nameless Uke infantryman fighting in the forest north of Kyiv at the very beginning.

"We are so lucky, that they are so ****ing stupid"

Day 365: Ukraine still exists and continues to fight
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
notex
AG
Many, including the Chinese, are drawing a lot of lessons from the tactics/mistakes on both sides in Ukraine.

China has called for peace talks and an end to sanctions on Russia.
sclaff
AG
So, the big anniversary speeches and Russian milblogger rants turned out to be wet farts. No declaration of war or air war.

UK MOD forecasts a strategy of attrition by Russia

|
Not a Bot
AG
nortex97
AG
sclaff said:

So, the big anniversary speeches and Russian milblogger rants turned out to be wet farts. No declaration of war or air war.

UK MOD forecasts a strategy of attrition by Russia

|
A stalemated war of attrition is what it has been basically all winter (at least, if based nothing else then on the movement of the front lines for the past 4 months), this is not too surprising.

A lot of the 'dramatic offensive about to start' stuff is clickbait for various sides/outlets/journalists/politicians.
jobu93
AG
Russia trying to bleed Uke resources is fine in a vacuum but it doesn't make sense to bleed material. The Ukes have better equipment, weapons, food, kit because the West is their arsenal.

The only thing Russia could hope to win is attrition bodies but I think if it ever got to that point those providing material would then send troops.

I Recently re read Red Storm Rising and it struck me that while the Bear had more teeth back in the 80s it was still expected to have short legs so to speak with logistical issues. Clancy nailed that.
Robert C. Christian
AG
jobu93 said:

Russia trying to bleed Uke resources is fine in a vacuum but it doesn't make sense to bleed material. The Ukes have better equipment, weapons, food, kit because the West is their arsenal.

The only thing Russia could hope to win is attrition bodies but I think if it ever got to that point those providing material would then send troops.

I Recently re read Red Storm Rising and it struck me that while the Bear had more teeth back in the 80s it was still expected to have short legs so to speak with logistical issues. Clancy nailed that.
Given where the war is today, bleeding material actually makes a lot of sense. The West may be the arsenal, but for how long? You already hear the noise about how much and what the US is giving to Ukraine. This isn't going to go away and will continue to be amplified. Europe cares but again, how long will they care. In addition, Europe hasn't given near as much as US so if the US decides to stop its support I would expect the majority of EU to as well.

All that to say, drawing this out, forcing Ukraine to bleed material and get resupplied by the West is only going to give people in those countries talking points about how much is being sent and what is it gaining,.
nortex97
AG
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3308633/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Quote:

Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) is announcing a new security assistance package to reaffirm the steadfast support of the United States for Ukraine's brave defenders and strengthen Ukraine's air defenses. This package, which totals $2 billion, is being provided under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI) as part of our commitment to Ukraine's long-term security.

Specifically, the United States is committing additional Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment, as well as critical ammunition stocks for artillery and precision fires capabilities that will bolster Ukraine's ability to repel Russian aggression.

Capabilities in this security assistance package include:

Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
Additional 155mm artillery rounds;
Munitions for laser-guided rocket systems;
CyberLux K8 UAS;
Switchblade 600 UAS;
Altius-600 UAS;
Jump 20 UAS;
Counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment;
Mine clearing equipment;
Secure communications support equipment;
Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.

Unlike Presidential Drawdown, USAI is an authority under which the United States procures capabilities rather than delivering equipment that is drawn down from DoD stocks. This announcement represents the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional capabilities to Ukraine's Armed Forces.
lb3
AG
I thought Russia was going to roll through Ukraine pretty quickly even after seeing that the Ukes were standing and fighting.

My initial impressions were heavily influenced by a television news feed I saw very early in the initial assault where a news crew drives up to an airport outside Kiev and there is a group of soldiers setting up a checkpoint. The reporters can hear gunfire in the distance and ask 'where are the Russians?' The soldiers said they were Russian.

At that point, despite the Ghost of Kiev memes, I thought the war was already lost and it was just going to be the Russians mopping up pockets of resistance and hanging civilian 'Nazis' from lampposts to quell any resistance from within Kiev.

Glad to see the Ukes still have their country.

For year two predictions/fan fiction, I expect the Russian spring offensive to stall and Russia will respond with a full mobilization, drafting as many a 5m conscripts, and opening new fronts from Belarus and Moldova.

Uke's spring offensive will focus on Melitopol. I suspect the Ukes have little interest in urban fighting or leveling the city and will just lay siege to the city like they did in Kherson.

In the fall I expect that congressional support for new arms shipments will gets trickier and the 2024 presidential election campaign will get into gear and start to put a brighter focus on the costs of the war and Europe's failure to contribute more.

In an attempt to get a negotiated peace prior to the elections, Biden will secretly ship ATACMS to Ukraine and the main spans of the Kerch Bridge will be dropped into the strait on New Year's Eve. With all of Crimea under sieve, The Russians go to the negotiating table hoping to buy time to arm and train their new 5m man meat shield army.

RebelE Infantry
AG
nortex97 said:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3308633/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Quote:

Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) is announcing a new security assistance package to reaffirm the steadfast support of the United States for Ukraine's brave defenders and strengthen Ukraine's air defenses. This package, which totals $2 billion, is being provided under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI) as part of our commitment to Ukraine's long-term security.

Specifically, the United States is committing additional Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment, as well as critical ammunition stocks for artillery and precision fires capabilities that will bolster Ukraine's ability to repel Russian aggression.

CyberLux K8 UAS;
Switchblade 600 UAS;
Altius-600 UAS;
Jump 20 UAS;
Mine clearing equipment;

Unlike Presidential Drawdown, USAI is an authority under which the United States procures capabilities rather than delivering equipment that is drawn down from DoD stocks. This announcement represents the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional capabilities to Ukraine's Armed Forces.

If I'm reading this correctly, this is going to be newly built stuff. Amazing.

This would be a shift from the previous aid packages which were drawn from existing reserves, yes?
revvie
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

jobu93 said:

Given where the war is today, bleeding material actually makes a lot of sense. The West may be the arsenal, but for how long? You already hear the noise about how much and what the US is giving to Ukraine. This isn't going to go away and will continue to be amplified. Europe cares but again, how long will they care. In addition, Europe hasn't given near as much as US so if the US decides to stop its support I would expect the majority of EU to as well.

All that to say, drawing this out, forcing Ukraine to bleed material and get resupplied by the West is only going to give people in those countries talking points about how much is being sent and what is it gaining,.
A lot of people complaining about all the war materiel that the US and NATO supplying Ukraine. My overall take is that most of it older stuff that was going to be phased out or in storage. It has also sped up the process of replacing Soviet era stuff in Eastern Europe with more modern standardized NATO equipment.

Also what have we learned about our own weaponry and how have they performed against a peer military power and what changes will be made to improve their effectiveness. Hard to put a dollar value on that.
Faustus
JFABNRGR
AG

CyberLux K8 UAS;
Switchblade 600 UAS;
Altius-600 UAS;
Jump 20 UAS;
Mine clearing equipment;

Looks like they are getting some high tech longer range drones capable of direct attack or ISR. Some of these likely to be used as laser targeting platforms for some of the laser guided munitions previously announced.

I can't find any info on Cyberlux K8 but some of their other products are smaller video carrying platforms.

I am sure the SB600 will be welcome. There have been complaints about the 300. Range 90KM to target with anti armor capability is pretty strong.

https://www.avinc.com/tms/switchblade-600

Altius 600 launched from anything, 4 hour endurance, 3-7LB payload, ISR or Kinetic, range of 440KM. Good chance this gets laser.

https://areai.com/altius-600-2/

Jump 20 UAS. VTOL with 14HR endurance. 185KM range. Coms relay.

https://www.avinc.com/uas/jump-20

I would like to see them get some more Arty; of the 130+ M777s they have lost 40 alone to the russians. Certainly a few more to wear and tear.
74OA
AG
Ukraine is going to great lengths to document Russian war crimes. This clip, for example, shows just a portion of the ordinance which has hit Kharkiv alone, many pieces catalogued by GPS impact point.

EVIDENCE
lb3
AG
revvie said:

jobu93 said:

A lot of people complaining about all the war materiel that the US and NATO supplying Ukraine. My overall take is that most of it older stuff that was going to be phased out or in storage. It has also sped up the process of replacing Soviet era stuff in Eastern Europe with more modern standardized NATO equipment.
To date most of the weapons delivered have been draw downs of existing inventories with most of that old, obsolete, or expiring hardware while most of the money being spent has been on modernizing US inventories.

Without being able to reach into older air power munitions, we're running out of hand-me-downs to give away. If we could start delivering old F-16s, we could even open up old stocks of dumb bombs.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Europe will care for a long time because it's in their backyard.

For one, Europe doesn't like the idea of Russian expansionism because they're in line at some point. It may be decades down the road, but Russia has shown a willingness to take small bites, either politically, economically, or kinetically. It's culturally built into their leadership, and you're not advancing and moving up the political ranks unless you're onboard, guaranteeing that the next Putin will be just like the current one.

For two, all of the refugees created by Russian conflicts will likely end up in Europe. Europe doesn't want to deal with the immediate fallout of Russian expansionism anymore then they want to deal with the future fallout.
74OA
AG
More talk of seizing Russia's currency reserves frozen in western banks to help rebuild Ukraine.

REPARATIONS
DeBoss
AG
I know we all say this is "morally correct" to do, but this is a crazy slippery slope. This is flat stealing currency that was placed into multiple financial systems. Weird precedent it could set that if you cross NATO, we just steal your money.

I would prefer to see all assets frozen and worked into any kind of peace treaty, if that happens. Make Russia agree to "donating" all frozen assets to Ukraine.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
74OA
AG
DeBoss said:

I know we all say this is "morally correct" to do, but this is a crazy slippery slope. This is flat stealing currency that was placed into multiple financial systems. Weird precedent it could set that if you cross NATO, we just steal your money.

I would prefer to see all assets frozen and worked into any kind of peace treaty, if that happens. Make Russia agree to "donating" all frozen assets to Ukraine.
The precedent for war reparations has generally included a peace treaty in which the aggressor nation agrees (i.e., is compelled) to pay damages to the states it attacked.

I doubt Moscow ever agrees to a formal peace treaty because it would require de facto acceptance that Ukraine really is a sovereign state and that Russia is the aggressor, both directly contrary to Putin's assertions. I also doubt Moscow will ever voluntarily pay reparations, treaty or no treaty, under any circumstances legal or otherwise.

But for every legal problem there is a legal solution. The lawyers just need to get on with updating the standard for reparations which better fits today's world and if reparations aren't a fit for this instance, then develop another lawful solution that achieves the same outcome.

Regardless, this is a clearcut case of brutal aggression. Russian barbarians cannot destroy Ukraine and then be allowed to hide behind civilized conventions to stiff-arm financial responsibility for their actions.
sclaff
AG
Name an agreement or treaty where Russia deals in good faith. The West constantly rises to the bait and rushes to sign a piece of paper, while Russia or Iran or N. Korea or etc reloads and resets their plans on aggression.
nortex97
AG
A truce/armistice with a set line that is 'temporary' (like the one between the Koreas) is much more tactically/strategically attainable than a formal 'peace treaty' I think for both sides. Russia's currency has actually done fairly well from what I have read, over the past year in terms of foreign currency reserves/valuation etc.

$300 billion in assets that have been frozen will be interesting to follow as a tool to negotiate with, should…negotiations ever actually start. I'd agree with at least using the oligarch's assets as reparations.
MouthBQ98
AG
The problem that concerns me sits squarely between Poland and Lithuania. The Kaliningrad enclave. Part of Russia. Isolated.

Between it: the Baltic UN members of Lithuania and Latvia, and the Russian puppet state of Belarus.

I don't know how long you put off Russia from trying to make a land bridge there or start playing games with Baltic state politics. There may be real value to avoiding a hot battle between NATO and Russia that directly involves the USA by helping Ukraine disable the Russian military as much as possible in a proxy war. I know Russia is very unlikely to provoke a war that brings in all of NATO but Russian geopolitical doctrine is currently controlled by a group that considers dominance of the Baltic region necessary for Russian security.

I think long term Ukraine will probably have to negotiate much of Russian gains as a security tradeoff for recognition, but Russia is going to have to be contained long term so long as it is dominated by expansionist ideology.
docb
AG
lb3 said:

revvie said:

jobu93 said:

To date most of the weapons delivered have been draw downs of existing inventories with most of that old, obsolete, or expiring hardware while most of the money being spent has been on modernizing US inventories.

Without being able to reach into older air power munitions, we're running out of hand-me-downs to give away. If we could start delivering old F-16s, we could even open up old stocks of dumb bombs.

I think we should not stop regardless the cost. Ramp up production as needed. No way we should let Russia even have a small victory in the war. They need to lose and Putin needs to die.
rgag12
AG
Interesting theory, but I have a hard time Russia would start a war with NATO over Kalingrad. They've tried to give it away not only to Lithuania (twice), but also to Germany in 1990.
ABATTBQ11
AG
nortex97 said:

A truce/armistice with a set line that is 'temporary' (like the one between the Koreas) is much more tactically/strategically attainable than a formal 'peace treaty' I think for both sides. Russia's currency has actually done fairly well from what I have read, over the past year in terms of foreign currency reserves/valuation etc.

$300 billion in assets that have been frozen will be interesting to follow as a tool to negotiate with, should…negotiations ever actually start. I'd agree with at least using the oligarch's assets as reparations.

Not going to happen. The Korean DMZ is basically where the line was when the north invaded. Unless Russia agrees to pull back, Ukraine isn't going to go for it. When it's all said and done, they're not going to settle for millions displaced, hundreds of thousands dead, and giving up valuable territory. That's a Russian victory any way you slice it. Russian leadership isn't going to survive hundreds of thousands of casualties with nothing to show for it. It's all or nothing for survival at this point
MouthBQ98
AG
Well, that's good to know. If that is the case, then containment through NATO treaty may remain a viable strategy.

I think in the end NATO can help Ukraine fight for a new defensible border to be established but they'll probably have to negotiate away territory to end the war. I'd say they have until 2024 to get in a better position if they can but after that, there will be increasing pressure to negotiate versus fight. I think Russia knows this, too, and is willing to grind forward to keep as much as they can until talks start.
DCPD158
AG
Can anyone see Poland taking a large chunk of western Ukraine if the country is about to fall? This is a hypothetical if Russian zergs from the East with a few million and overruns defenses and Kiev falls.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
DCPD158
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Well, that's good to know. If that is the case, then containment through NATO treaty may remain a viable strategy.

I think in the end NATO can help Ukraine fight for a new defensible border to be established but they'll probably have to negotiate away territory to end the war. I'd say they have until 2024 to get in a better position if they can but after that, there will be increasing pressure to negotiate versus fight. I think Russia knows this, too, and is willing to grind forward to keep as much as they can until talks start.
Ukraine needs to totally cut off Crimea.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
LMCane
DCPD158 said:

Can anyone see Poland taking a large chunk of western Ukraine if the country is about to fall? This is a hypothetical if Russian zergs from the East with a few million and overruns defenses and Kiev falls.
not a chance

this isn't 1939

and you really think Poland is going to want to invade a neighbor

after spending an entire year berating Russia for invading a neighbor?
First Page Last Page
Page 1015 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.