***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,580,744 Views | 47794 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by OldAg68
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have time to make notes on this tonight, but here is the latest Speak the Truth episode. Sorry everyone.

ETA: By the way, I love when Rob shows the elevation maps. It really helps make sense of some movements and/or lackthereof.
Rossticus
Putin still sacrificing working class Russians in the name of holy conquest. Jesus likes human sacrifice, right? I must have missed that day of Sunday school.

Waffledynamics
AG
Edit: The poster discovered they made an error and deleted the Tweet. See sclaff's post a few down from mine.

Waffledynamics
AG
AgLA06
AG
Rossticus said:

Putin still sacrificing working class Russians in the name of holy conquest. Jesus likes human sacrifice, right? I must have missed that day of Sunday school.

Other than surrendering what choices does he have? If they can't train and outfit the migrant working class with all their determination and resolve, you think the middle or upper class stands a chance?
sclaff
AG

Rossticus
I'm aware of the reality. Just commenting on the degree of pompous hypocrisy this thing has reached with Russia's ever escalating invocation of religion as justification.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Russian Defense Minister Shoigu reported to Putin that 82 000 mobilised men have been already sent to Ukraine, 218000 are trained at firing ranges

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/28-october-russian-defense-minister-shoigu-reported-to-putin

Take it with a grain of salt.
Rossticus
Hooray! Russian Twitter bots and troll farms are back!! Lol.

MouthBQ98
AG
I'm going to guess they've been VPN distributed for a long time now so the origin is difficult to track.
Rossticus
MouthBQ98 said:

I'm going to guess they've been VPN distributed for a long time now so the origin is difficult to track.

I'm sure. I just think its funny.
Rossticus
Dirt 05
AG
I hope they come to regret this decision too late.
74OA
AG
Interesting piece about the fate of the Russian corps once stationed in Kaliningrad. DEAD
bonfarr
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Russian Defense Minister Shoigu reported to Putin that 82 000 mobilised men have been already sent to Ukraine, 218000 are trained at firing ranges

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/28-october-russian-defense-minister-shoigu-reported-to-putin

All 218k successfully completed three bursts from a rifle and they get their marksmanship badge.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
txags92
AG
bonfarr said:

Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

All 218k successfully completed three bursts from a rifle and they get their marksmanship badge.
Exactly as prescribed in the training manual.

/Clancy
LMCane
FamousAgg
The full extent of Russian innovation
txags92
AG
Looks like a great way to set the woods on fire around your tank.
bonfarr
AG
BattleGrackle said:

The cage doesn't do anything for AT missile defense but would it offer any protection from the mortar rounds being dropped by UAVs?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
AgLA06
AG
Maybe.

The question is, what does burning the barrel do?
javajaws
AG
AgLA06 said:

Maybe.

That's not the barrel.

And it's just to provide a source of heat that isn't on the main body itself.
txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

Maybe.

That is not the barrel. The barrel is sticking out the other end. That is just a pipe with a fire pot hanging off the end. I presume they are erroneously thinking it would fool the seeker head of a missile during it's terminal pop up maneuver into thinking the heat of the pot is the heat from the tank's diesel engine.
AgLA06
AG
Ahh.....

I was on my phone and couldn't see that. My bad.

Seems like they'd be giving themselves away just as much as it would hope to confuse.
MouthBQ98
AG
They don't understand the seekers are more sophisticated and aren't looking for the hottest object. They are looking for a size and shape in the IR spectrum because IR isn't easily screened by smoke or netting or bushes or other visual clutter. The more advanced ones can distinguish between vehicle types and even locations on said vehicles to target.

The cages can help against smaller dropped or simple rocket heat shaped charge type warheads by stand-off detonation.
lb3
AG
bonfarr said:

BattleGrackle said:

The cage doesn't do anything for AT missile defense but would it offer any protection from the mortar rounds being dropped by UAVs?
Most dedicated antitank weapons have two charges. The first to defeat reactive armor and the second, a shape charge to send a plasma jet to penetrate the steel armor of the vehicle.

The cope cages were an attempt to get the shape charge to trigger at an increased distance from the armor and become ineffective. It obviously hasn't worked well.

I'm not sure it will have much effect against direct hits from artillery. Perhaps we'll find out.

ETA. We all laughed at the rubber filled 'reactive armor'. But my reading suggests that rubber does have some benefits against those plasma jets. As the leading edge of the plasma jet burns a hole in the rubber, the rubber expands and impinges on more of the jet. The hope being that there isn't enough of the jut remaining by the time it reaches the steel. Again, it hasn't helped the Russians yet.
Waffledynamics
AG
LMCane
lb3 said:

bonfarr said:

BattleGrackle said:

Most dedicated antitank weapons have two charges. The first to defeat reactive armor and the second, a shape charge to send a plasma jet to penetrate the steel armor of the vehicle.

The cope cages were an attempt to get the shape charge to trigger at an increased distance from the armor and become ineffective. It obviously hasn't worked well.

I'm not sure it will have much effect against direct hits from artillery. Perhaps we'll find out.

ETA. We all laughed at the rubber filled 'reactive armor'. But my reading suggests that rubber does have some benefits against those plasma jets. As the leading edge of the plasma jet burns a hole in the rubber, the rubber expands and impinges on more of the jet. The hope being that there isn't enough of the jut remaining by the time it reaches the steel. Again, it hasn't helped the Russians yet.
I think the point was that in the USA or any modern army

they are using ERA explosive reactive armor, not rubber.
LMCane
Waffledynamics said:

let's see how the Russkies retreat from Svatove in the middle of a muddy morass within the cornfields
Build It
AG
Heard some rumors today. People aren't to happy about the cables being cut. Kaliningrad and the Baltic Fleet could have some accidents soon.
lb3
AG
Build It said:

Heard some rumors today. People aren't to happy about the cables being cut. Kaliningrad and the Baltic Fleet could have some accidents soon.
I would just cut all hardwired communications between Kaliningrad and Russia in response and not cause any accidents on their subs.

Make they use ham radios to place their shipping orders.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 899 of 1366

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.