***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,582,517 Views | 47797 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Eliminatus
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rossticus
LMCane
Rossticus said:

are any of the Western leaders intelligent enough to ask Shoigu:

"so if the Ukes are about to set off a WMD,

why don't you just withdraw all Russian forces from their territory today and then your forces would be completely safe?"
txags92
AG
They can't find uniforms for their conscripts. There is zero chance they have CBR suits for them. But then Russia has shown zero care about losing thousands of troops, so why would they care if a few thousand more get wiped out by their little false flag exercise?
Rossticus
They just keep going on, and on, and on…

FamousAgg
I feel this is all coming to a head. Kind of sick to my stomach thinking someone big is happening soon.
Bird Poo
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I feel this is all coming to a head. Kind of sick to my stomach thinking someone big is happening soon.

Same.
rgag12
AG
BattleGrackle said:

That's what Russia wants you to think. It's all mind games
Ag In Ok
AG
If Russia uses one, tactically speaking where would it even make sense? Within Kherson? Melitipol? Luhansk? Operationally speaking it only thwarts their ability to advance and even if they had one it would only be useful in defensive measures.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Rossticus said:

I would think that if we thought Russia doing a dirty bomb was a real possibility of happening we'd be sending out our own ultimatums about the consequences of such an action, so I'm less concerned.

On the converse though, how does the west/NATO respond to this if it does happen? Is it conventional WW3 at this point and we're all in? Does this war get put on hold while an "investigation" to the cause of the explosion happens? How would that work?

<is this on topic?>
Eliminatus
AG
rgag12 said:

BattleGrackle said:

That's what Russia wants you to think. It's all mind games

Russia is also kinda bat **** crazy though. I was one of those who was firm at scoffing at any nuclear talk months ago but they won't shut up about it and I am pessimistic enough to view it as a possibility now. Still think it is a very remote chance but it is no longer an "absolutely not" in my mind. Although, I will admit that a bias mindset has crept into me lately of the opposition doing what they say the other will do. Which Russia also has a history of. Basically them screaming about Ukraine using nuclear weapons make me think they might in the end themselves. Russia has always been rather irrational and they are in a rough position right now.

I know this "will it happen" talk is not the main point of this thread but I do Wonder what prepping some NEST team deployments would do to the dynamic of the war. Would optics be good or bad and would that action alone force events one way or the other?
Rossticus
Blackbeard94
AG
Rossticus said:

Wow, that is a barrage, would not want to be on the receiving end of that.
Dirt 05
AG
For the Russians it doesn't make any tactical sense to use a dirty bomb really anywhere. They are basically a terror weapon that would communicate we don't have the ability or intent to ever take/hold Lviv, Kyiv, Kherson take your pick, but we're flipping you off as we retreat. And it would probably be more difficult for them to create and employ a dirty bomb when tactical nuclear weapons are available. Now, Sabotaging Enerhodar nuclear power plant creating a nuclear mess if they thought they couldn't hold it - that is probable - but currently Ukraine isn't pushing that way.

The Russians could assess that the Ukrainians may use one on Donetsk, Luhansk, Sevastopol, and maybe Melitopol to deny use of an occupied city not likely to be retaken in short term.
Rossticus
rgag12
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Rossticus said:

I would think that if we thought Russia doing a dirty bomb was a real possibility of happening we'd be sending out our own ultimatums about the consequences of such an action, so I'm less concerned.

On the converse though, how does the west/NATO respond to this if it does happen? Is it conventional WW3 at this point and we're all in? Does this war get put on hold while an "investigation" to the cause of the explosion happens? How would that work?

<is this on topic?>

We, the west, have the capability of knowing who would've launched a dirty bomb almost immediately.

There is precedence on how to respond to an event like that IMO. In 2017 the US launched missles at a Syrian airbase where we knew Syria had launched a chemical attack on its own people. I imagine in a dirty bomb scenario the US/NATO would respond similarly. A full-fledged nuke would probably evoke a larger response that we haven't yet seen before.
Rossticus
Dirt 05 said:

For the Russians it doesn't make any tactical sense to use a dirty bomb really anywhere. They are basically a terror weapon that would communicate we don't have the ability or intent to ever take/hold Lviv, Kyiv, Kherson take your pick, but we're flipping you off as we retreat. And it would probably be more difficult for them to create and employ a dirty bomb when tactical nuclear weapons are available. Now, Sabotaging Enerhodar nuclear power plant creating a nuclear mess if they thought they couldn't hold it - that is probable - but currently Ukraine isn't pushing that way.

The Russians could assess that the Ukrainians may use one on Donetsk, Luhansk, Sevastopol, and maybe Melitopol to deny use of an occupied city not likely to be retaken in short term.

This has nothing to do with "tactical sense". It has to do with manufacturing justification for escalation that they can propagandize both internally and within the few countries who remain allied with them. It's the manufacture of a strategically beneficial provocation at worst and at best another threat to attempt to stem the tide of western support.

If they went through with it, this fits the mold of Chechnya and Syria. Putin has verifiably both blown up his own people as justification for escalation AND in cooperation with Assad gassed Syrian rebels while saying they gassed themselves to frame Assad/Supportive Russian forces… and then used it as a pretext to escalate attacks.
EastSideAg2002
The one thing that worries me about escalation into bio/nuclear/chemical with russia is almost all of their responses to setbacks seem to be emotional rather than tactical. They waste stockpiles of weapons that they are low in inventory on not on military targets but civilian. Sometimes I feel its like a 5 yr old throwing a tantrum in their responses.
74OA
AG
Russia should lose every single ruble currently frozen in western banks. Actions have consequences. GOLD

The war isn't anywhere near over and the damage done to Ukraine is already staggering. As much as possible, it should be Russia which bears the cost of rebuilding Ukraine. $1T?

aezmvp
EastSideAg2002 said:

The one thing that worries me about escalation into bio/nuclear/chemical with russia is almost all of their responses to setbacks seem to be emotional rather than tactical. They waste stockpiles of weapons that they are low in inventory on not on military targets but civilian. Sometimes I feel its like a 5 yr old throwing a tantrum in their responses.
If you want a tactical reasoning for using a dirty bomb, you use it in Kherson when it has a bunch of convicts you don't care about and then you make the area unusable and sever all the links across the river. Nice defendable boundary right? Then you use a nuke on Uke forces in the East and escalate to deescalate while you still have your land bridge and land in the East.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

If you want a tactical reasoning for using a dirty bomb, you use it in Kherson when it has a bunch of convicts you don't care about and then you make the area unusable and sever all the links across the river. Nice defendable boundary right? Then you use a nuke on Uke forces in the East and escalate to deescalate while you still have your land bridge and land in the East.
And that "land bridge" becomes the highway of death PDQ, IMO.
Rossticus
Russia provides "information" that is clearly bullisht (see previous post of Russia's leaked "evidence"). Everyone rolls their eyes and calls out Russia.

Russia:

Rossticus
aezmvp
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

And that "land bridge" becomes the highway of death PDQ, IMO.
While that is the case, you're reading from the NATO/Western playbook. Your opponent isn't playing by those rules.
74OA
AG
Russia's most important source of revenue is steadily slumping.

Putin remains a master strategist.

OIL
LMCane
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Rossticus said:

<is this on topic?>
see my posts above showing the 101st Airborne division on the borders of Ukraine right now.

for the first time in 80 years they have deployed to Europe.

that probably gives a hint of WTF is going on behind the scenes.
txags92
AG
LMCane said:

RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Rossticus said:

<is this on topic?>
see my posts above showing the 101st Airborne division on the borders of Ukraine right now.

So what are the chances they are staged there to be able to go in with only a few hours notice if it looks like Russians are going to cause a meltdown at one of the nuke plants?
AgLA06
AG
Rossticus said:

Russia provides "information" that is clearly bullisht (see previous post of Russia's leaked "evidence"). Everyone rolls their eyes and calls out Russia.

Russia:

Of course the threat is real. Psychos are talking about it and all other kinds of tin foil hat psycho terrorism that "might happen".

There's just a 0.01% chance it originates with the military of Ukraine.

I'm not going to lend credence to the monthly end of the world posts. But this seems to be heading to the end of either Russia or Putin. At this point, it's probably 50/50 which.

AgLA06
AG
txags92 said:

LMCane said:

RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Rossticus said:

<is this on topic?>

So what are the chances they are staged there to be able to go in with only a few hours notice if it looks like Russians are going to cause a meltdown at one of the nuke plants?
Considering that's not a 101st mission, probably none. They might go in to consolidate things after it's taken though.

We had 60K+ troops in Europe before Russia kicked things off. As of August we had 100K+ troops in Europe. The 101st while a well known and feared large force entity, is just another tool in the toolbox. I have no doubt any commander of any specialized force is politicking their ass off to get stationed in Europe right now.
Rossticus
Sometimes I wonder just how many Russian casualties have in fact resulted from their compulsion to loot everything they come across instead of behaving like a military force. Loot lust is real.

74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

Sometimes I wonder just how many Russian casualties have in fact resulted from their compulsion to loot everything they come across instead of behaving like a military force. Loot lust is real.

........and a little more of Ukraine is destroyed in the process. Sad but necessary. Russia must pay.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine confirmed control over Karmazynivka, Myasozharivka and Nevske of Luhansk region and Novosadove of Donetsk region

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/24-october-general-staff-of-armed-forces-of-ukraine-confirmed

Ukraine is pushing further East.

Edit: added map screenshot and included Kharkiv for geographical reference.

Rossticus
bonfarr
AG
The threat is probably remote but I bought some iodine pills off Amazon just in case.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
LMCane
MOSCOW A Russian warplane crashed into a residential building in the Siberian city of Irkutsk Sunday, killing both crewmembers, regional authorities said.

There was no immediate information on casualties on the ground.

Irkutsk Gov. Igor Kobzev said the plane came down on a two-story building in the city.

The local branch of Russia's Emergencies Ministry said the Su-30 fighter jet crashed during a training flight and fell on a two-story wooden building, sparking a fire.

Videos posted on social networks from surveillance cameras showed the building engulfed by flames and firefighters deployed to extinguish the blaze.

The crash came less than a week after another Russian warplane crashed near an apartment building in the Sea of Azov port of Yeysk and exploded in a giant fireball, killing 15 and injuring another 19.
First Page Last Page
Page 889 of 1366

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.