***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,588,011 Views | 47807 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Faustus
NM
Not a Bot
AG

So they are actually sending the Moscow civil servant class into war? That's how you get a revolt.
Smeghead4761
2000AgPhD said:

agyellow said:

2000AgPhD said:

FriscoKid said:

They are such pigs.
The fact that the Russkies skedaddled and just LEFT everything in situ speaks to the degree of disorganization and lack of even basic training that most of the Soviet - err, Russian, army has. Did not take it with them, did not blow it up - just flat left it.

Looks like a lot of the ammo boxes are probably empty as they were used to cover/barricade windows and other open areas.
Live ammo all over the place. Not exactly textbook.
I was infantry when I was in, and I don't know what a field ammo dump is supposed to look like, but I'm pretty sure stacking tank rounds and propellant charges loose on the floor isn't what right looks like.
Eliminatus
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

So they are actually sending the Moscow civil servant class into war? That's how you get a revolt.

I know we give the Russians a lot of ****, and rightfully so, but there is still something so surreal in thinking of being a civilian with a respectable job and probably in it for a while and then in about three weeks you will be dead in another country on the frontlines fighting a war. All because you were given a piece of paper and told you had to go.

Russians being taken out of their country, given a weapon that they are barely shown how to use and then sent against the most battle hardened army in the world that HATES you with little to no support, guidance, or real hope. Wild times.

And we thought the Rosgvardiyans had it bad at the beginning…
CondensedFogAggie
Eliminatus
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

Those plucky *******s hunkered down in the freezing trenches and burning buildings and fighting with limited arms and ammo back in February keep me humble. We watched them fight and die trying to save their land. I just wish they were able to know that it wasn't all in vain. Their crucial part of the battle is done and they won it. Ukraine survived and will continue to survive because of them. I have zero doubt of that at this point.
Not a Bot
AG
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Ulysses90
AG
10thYrSr said:

FriscoKid said:

Russia is dusting off tanks from the'60s and putting them on the front line.

The question is, is Russia getting rid of old equipment, or is this the best they have. How would we know? Are there other theaters they have operated in where they had better equipment? Are they holding back the good stuff for later? Are there videos of better equipment being used and maintained by the Russians? Is Russia a failed country that survives on it's reputation from 50 years ago? Does Putin know this? What is the answer?

Are you serious when you ask, "how would we know"? Oryx' visually database of over 7000 destroyed Russian tactical and combat vehicles and weapons is one way. The Russians have fed everything they had that was in their operational forces from T-72B's, T80s and T90s into the fight and they have been mauled by the Ukrainians with weapons that destroy tanks for pennies on the dollar (or mils on the ruble). Study the best of what Russia is known to have for every kind of weapons system and you will find that it has been used (ineffectively) and they have lost them in large numbers.

The nonsensical idea that the Russians are getting rid of old equipment and poorly trained soldiers before unleashing their "good stuff" is nothing but a copium induced fever dream. Russia is a failed country that was on a demographic glide-slope to poverty and irrelevance with an average life expectancy of 59 years old (before losing 90,000 dead and ~140,000 combat wounded). Russia's total population was ~145 million and shrinking. They eat a poor diet and they don't get much exercise while drinking lots of vodka. Large portions of the population are exposed to really bad chemical contamination that the USSR spread across their SSRs in Asia.

Putin and the Moscow-St Petersburg elites cannot accept Russian irrelevance. To avert the slow motion collapse, they sought to absorb Ukraine with its far healthier population demographics along with its agricultural output and massive petroleum reserves. They tried the "huff and puff and blow your house down" threat and it blew up on them spectacularly. Now they are getting humiliated every day.

The introduction of 60 year old tanks with a 115mm gun and a crew configuration of 4 for an Army that has not trained in a tank without a 125mm gun, an autoloader, and crew of 3 in over 40 years is pure desperation. It's the type of desperation would would expect from a nation fighting a war of national survival. Russia is fighting a war of national survival but they started it by invading Ukraine.

Russia is completely hollowed out logistically, intellectually, and morally.
Rossticus

Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG

The really really sad thing, if the reports are true, they won't even use these guys as pilots. They will just throw them on the front line.
Not a Bot
AG
Rossticus

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
FriscoKid said:

My opinion is that this is Russias "carts" moment like in Patton when General Patton talks about him being sure the Germans were finished. At the 1:30 mark.

Rossticus
Rossticus
Thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1580827193545924608.html

Summary: There's a whole lot of Starlink in Ukraine that isn't nor ever has been free.

Musk statement on monthly cost:

Rossticus
Rossticus
FarmerJohn
AG
No one has done more to get Russian oil to Western markets and been a better friend to Putin, and this is what we are mad about?

[EDIT] - Referring to Total.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Russian President Putin: A confrontation between NATO forces and Russia will lead to a global catastrophe

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/14-october-russian-president-putin-a-confrontation-between

I'm glad he recognizes it. Now, GTFO.

ETA: Wait, but according to them, I thought they were already directly fighting NATO in Ukraine?
Rossticus
FarmerJohn said:

No one has done more to get Russian oil to Western markets and been a better friend to Putin, and this is what we are mad about?

[EDIT] - Referring to Total.

It's odd the stands France and Germany will take considering the fact that numerous businesses and politicians have been actively subverting their national interests for years in favor of Russia.
Rossticus
Rossticus

agcrock2005
AG
Rossticus
chickencoupe16
AG
Rossticus said:

Just like WWII. Read enough about post ~1943 and you might find yourself rooting for Germany on the Eastern Front.
LMCane
Private PoopyPants said:

While we don't know for sure how many precision-guided munitions Russia still has available in their arsenal, it can't be that many. Why do I assume this? Because they are losing the war but haven't been using them to try to turn the tide. A few days ago was the first time we've heard about Kh-101 and Kalibr missiles in use in a very long time, nor have we heard much about Iskanders in months. The Iranian suicide drone purchase (smaller warhead, easier to shoot down) indicates they are trying to fill gaps in their capabilities.

Instead, Russia has been using S-300 air defense missiles in ground attack mode and it appears they are lobbing them in the general direction of their targets hoping to hit what they are aiming for. They are not highly precise. They are shelling cities like Kharkiv and Sumy almost every day because they are close enough to the Russian border to use more conventional artillery.

They had not struck Kyiv for months until a few days ago (nor Lviv or other cities out of artillery range). Surely there are legitimate military targets they could hit with precision in those areas? Why haven't they hit them? IMO it is because they are running very low on their guided munitions. I can't think of another reason.

Denys Davydov stating that Russia started with 6,000 precision munitions and is down to 2,000. which still seems like a lot to me as we all know Putin is not actually worried about a NATO or Chinese attack on his borders.

but I agree with all you stated, it is strange to see how poorly the Russians are able to target strategic military targets and break up supply routes.

hopefully the new Uke equipment from the Euros will increase the gap on the frontlines between old crappy Soviet equipment and newish NATO equipment.
Jetpilot86
AG
They should be worried about the Chi-coms. Russia gets weak enough, and they will make a play for what they want.

And if they think the Russian nuke supply is defective, then it's really on.
Waffledynamics
AG
PJYoung
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Quote:

The planes allegedly have the capacity to attack targets in the U.S. and all of Europe with nuclear bombs.

Fixed it for them
ABATTBQ11
AG
10thYrSr said:

FriscoKid said:

The question is, is Russia getting rid of old equipment, or is this the best they have. How would we know? Are there other theaters they have operated in where they had better equipment? Are they holding back the good stuff for later? Are there videos of better equipment being used and maintained by the Russians? Is Russia a failed country that survives on it's reputation from 50 years ago? Does Putin know this? What is the answer?

Russia still has plenty of modern reinvent and trained troops. The problem is that they don't have enough to cover their operations in Ukraine and all other stations/deployments. They're having to put outdated equipment and untrained troops in Ukraine to fill in half and keep the way going.
Waffledynamics
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 855 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.