***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,588,366 Views | 47807 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
CondensedFogAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie

Rossticus
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/10/12/you-don-t-cover-up-disfigured-corpses-by-saying-something-positive

javajaws
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

10k trained troops rotating in at once? That's huge. I'd love to see some coverage of their training out of country after all this is over.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
CondensedFogAggie

'Entire subjects are being cut' Russia's schools are hemorrhaging teachers as they flee mobilization

Quote:

.... found that Russian teachers, who aren't exempt from the draft, are going into hiding and fleeing the country in droves. Private schools, many of which saw a spike in enrollment this year as families scrambled to avoid the "patriotic" curriculum implemented in public schools this fall, are facing closure. With no other options, students and parents have begun writing directly to politicians, pleading for individual teachers to be made exempt a painful exercise for war opponents, who know that their appeals need to be soaked in praise for Putin and the Motherland to have a chance of being heard.

According to Andrey(a teacher), he's far from the only one getting out of dodge: 80 percent of the teachers at the school where he works intend to leave in the near future, while all of the school's on-staff tutors plan to emigrate (or go into hiding) if they haven't already. As a result, administrators are discussing either relocating the school or closing it altogether.

To make matters worse, he said, more students enrolled in the school than usual this year; with "patriotism lessons" and other political messaging on the rise in public schools, the demand for private ones is up. On the other hand, a lot of students have begun leaving with their parents, many of who are also seeking to evade the draft.

"In many schools, up to 100 - 120 hours of instruction are unfilled each week there's nobody to replace [the teachers who have left]. In some cases, entire subjects are being cut from the schedule. The overall picture is still unclear, but what is clear is that it's not going to be a happy one," said Varlamov.

Russia's mobilization orders don't discriminate based on merit: even some of the country's most "decorated" teachers are being drafted. On September 18, Bashkir language teacher Miras Ishdavletov, who lives in Ufa, won a prize in a nationwide competition for teachers of indigenous languages and literature. A week later, he was named an Honored Teacher of the Republic of Bashkortistan. The following day, he was conscripted.

"We thought maybe it was a mistake, because he doesn't have combat experience," said the teacher's wife, Irina Ishdavletov. "But they took him. Nobody helped us. It upsets me deeply that they treat highly qualified personnel that way. We got married this summer, and we're expecting a baby. I'll be taking maternity leave soon. We both have mortgages, and we took out an auto loan this summer. Now I have to take all this on alone."

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/10/12/entire-subjects-are-being-cut
CondensedFogAggie
Eliminatus
AG
javajaws said:

10k trained troops rotating in at once? That's huge. I'd love to see some coverage of their training out of country after all this is over.
Saw this a few days ago which should give you an idea. I liken it to our own "B" schools. All branches have a "finishing" school where service members go after Basic Training. Basically your job specific school. An example is to become a Marine infantryman, you go through basic of course. Afterwards, you will go through something called SOI, the school of infantry. This is where you actually learn how to fight as an infantryman. It is a crash course of all topics associated with modern fighting. As mentioned in the video, it is a good base to build off of once the servicemember gets to their actual unit.

This appears to be like SOI. A few weeks or months out in the field and just learning everything you can about infantry tactics and weapons familiarization.

B-1 83
AG
Is their training and equipment a 3:1 force multiplier compared to the conscripts they face?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
cbr
AG
Just curious - why would you not crouch when in a trench?
Eliminatus
AG
cbr said:

Just curious - why would you not crouch when in a trench?
Because it hurts your back and knees after a while.
Rossticus
ABATTBQ11
AG
B-1 83 said:

Is their training and equipment a 3:1 force multiplier compared to the conscripts they face?

100:1

Think New England Patriots against Kentucky.
Rossticus
We see all the official government support that Ukraine gets but the private donations are equally huge.

Waffledynamics
AG
This map is from Rybar, a pretty reliable Russian milblogger. He says that Ukraine is attacking all along the Svatove-Kreminna front.

Rossticus
Russia won't like this at all.

japantiger
S
Rossticus said:

How has this map changed in the last 4 months? A quick glance looks like it's looked for several months.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Rossticus
Ukraine has regained territory roughly equivalent in size to the state of Connecticut since summer. Predominantly along the western bank of the Dnipro east/northeast of Kherson as well as east/southeast of Kharkiv. Basically, the areas shown in blue.
Rossticus
The Russian narrative.

txags92
AG
japantiger said:

Rossticus said:

How has this map changed in the last 4 months? A quick glance looks like it's looked for several months.
You aren't looking very hard if you think things look the same as they did 4 months ago.
rgag12
AG
txags92 said:

japantiger said:

Rossticus said:

You aren't looking very hard if you think things look the same as they did 4 months ago.

If you follow this stuff everyday then the changes look fairly obvious, however I can definitely see how someone who only checks in on the war at several points in the year might think that.

Generally speaking, Russia still dominates most of the areas it did in June, only eastern Kharkiv and the most Northern area of Donetsk have the Ukrainians successfully liberated. Ukraine has a long way to go.
Rossticus
lb sand
AG

If anybody deserves a pass for not looking at the battle maps the past few months, it's Japantiger.

Welcome home.

Rossticus
ATX_AG_08
AG

74OA
AG
Hard to believe that dude is able to scamper off afterwards.

Rossticus
Russia resorting to "hail Mary".

74OA
AG
More on the hundreds of almost antique T-62s Russia is reportedly upgrading. VINTAGE
Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

More on the hundreds of almost antique T-62s Russia is reportedly upgrading. VINTAGE
Thanks for the link. Been wondering the actual nuts and bolts of that claim and couldn't find anything on my own on this current batch. I know the T-62M(odernized) was a drastic overhaul with everything from armor to engine to advanced fire control. With this new influx needed though, I just don't see every one of those boxes being checked off. We have several examples already of major shortcuts being taken by the Russians and I see no reason to think that it will not extend to these refits. So looks like Russia is just making more T-62Ms in the end?

As mentioned though, no expected upgrades to the main gun though. I remember reading a blurb somewhere way back when on this thread of a Twitter article explaining how the most current 115mm tank gun rounds is over 40 years old. If true, the degradation of the available 115mm stock has to be significant. Even detrimental.

Either way, no two ways around it at this point. Russia is scraping the bottom of the barrel. These things were designed to fight our M48s and M60s and even with the upgrades, might bring them up to par with T-80s on paper with all upgrade options. (minus the gun). Which again, I just don't see happening across all the units.
AgBQ-00
AG
120 is a big effing mortar round
74OA
AG
Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

Thanks for the link. Been wondering the actual nuts and bolts of that claim and couldn't find anything on my own on this current batch. I know the T-62M(odernized) was a drastic overhaul with everything from armor to engine to advanced fire control. With this new influx needed though, I just don't see every one of those boxes being checked off. We have several examples already of major shortcuts being taken by the Russians and I see no reason to think that it will not extend to these refits. So looks like Russia is just making more T-62Ms in the end?

As mentioned though, no expected upgrades to the main gun though. I remember reading a blurb somewhere way back when on this thread of a Twitter article explaining how the most current 115mm tank gun rounds is over 40 years old. If true, the degradation of the available 115mm stock has to be significant. Even detrimental.

Either way, no two ways around it at this point. Russia is scraping the bottom of the barrel. These things were designed to fight our M48s and M60s and even with the upgrades, might bring them up to par with T-80s on paper with all upgrade options. (minus the gun). Which again, I just don't see happening across all the units.
They are just putting lipstick on a pig.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Sounds like James has pretty much been told he's more valuable alive raising money than on the front lines. This is kind of what I suspected.

japantiger
S
txags92 said:

japantiger said:

Rossticus said:

They still hold the majority of the SE part of the country...the parts they wanted to begin with...so what, material, is different?
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
74OA
AG
japantiger said:

txags92 said:

japantiger said:

Rossticus said:

They still hold the majority of the SE part of the country...the parts they wanted to begin with...so what, material, is different?
In addition to Russia recently taking huge losses in men and materiel, a lot of territory has also changed hands.

CHANGE
74OA
AG
Very interesting. Skip Biden and listen to what the professor has to say about the public mood in Russia today.

JUST BACK FROM RUSSIA
First Page Last Page
Page 850 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.