***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,597,237 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Ag with kids
GarryowenAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Robk
GarryowenAg said:

Interesting clarification by Zelensky

Well guess it was true. Stoltenberg with a press conference coming up. Will see if this was a coordinated application.

Waffledynamics
AG
I imagine they need a ton more vehicles than have been provided. Keep in mind horses were still heavily used in WW2 even though there were obviously mechanized means of transportation.
aezmvp
GarryowenAg said:

Interesting clarification by Zelensky

Yeah but I think this significantly increases the risk of the use of tactical nuclear weapons. While that might seem drastic it is the next step in an escalate to deescalate situation. If this mobilization fails, and especially if it fails badly, then if I'm in Putin's shoes this is the most reasonable next step and is significantly more reasonable that chemical or biological warfare.

I think before the NATO application chances of use were maybe 10% or so. Now I think it's higher. I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a major supply area or logistics link. Maybe someplace like Krasnopavlivka. Lots of rail hubs, major highway cross section between Kharkiv, Dnipro right in the middle of the rear for actions through out the region and a small population. Otherwise maybe nearer the battlefield? Not sure if they would do one or several tactical nukes at once. My guess is several but it's very tough to think like they do.
80sGeorge
AG
Would make a great commercial. I just assumed these guys were scouts or Spec forces that needed to
Scoot quickly. Like our seals and their dune buggies and dirt bikes.
Burrus86
AG
lb3 said:

Nissan should be using these videos in their Navara commercials.

To make it more thread friendly, the fact the Ukes are still using retail pickups for troop transport instead of all the donated armored vehicles leads to more questions than answers. Has their armor/HMMWVs/MRAPs been destroyed, or do they still not have enough purpose built vehicles? Is it an issue of not being able to supply diesel fuels along transport routes?

On that note, can anyone tell from that video whether the Navara/Frontier is gas or diesel?
I think the use of pickups by the Ukrainians is to take advantage of their speed and mobility, particularly in a break through situation. As somebody also noted, they may not have enough "armored" vehicles to accommodate all of their troop movements. It kind of reminds me of all of the Toyota pickup pictures we saw coming out of the Russian-Afghanistan war. Unfortunately, those pickups were "repurposed" by terrorist organizations after that war ended.
aezmvp
lb3 said:

To make it more thread friendly, the fact the Ukes are still using retail pickups for troop transport instead of all the donated armored vehicles leads to more questions than answers. Has their armor/HMMWVs/MRAPs been destroyed, or do they still not have enough purpose built vehicles? Is it an issue of not being able to supply diesel fuels along transport routes?

On that note, can anyone tell from that video whether the Navara/Frontier is gas or diesel?
The answer is that they do not have enough purpose built vehicles. They're also seeing dozens if not hundreds of vehicles being bought and donated to them from private individuals as well. You just can't have enough vehicles to transport troops, ammo, food/water, supplies and evac wounded in these areas. Yes having the private vehicles also lets them take advantage of non-diesel supplies in the area as well even though a fair number are diesel vehicles.

Technicals have been a part of non-standard armies for decades. Their heavy use here is unsurprising. Both sides are extensively using civilian transport in their logistics trains.
Fitch
AG
Fitch
AG
aezmvp
Fitch said:

Just saw that. I wonder if NATO would admit Ukraine and declare that any nuclear strike would constitute a reason to invoke Article V? I'm not saying we should go along with this but knowing our State Department, that's something that could come out of Foggy Bottom.
Fitch
AG
Good summary of the speech if you click through the linked tweets…

Fitch
AG
Guess we will see here shortly. Seems to have been kept under wraps. Somewhat doubtful it's a surprise move by Ukraine to spring on NATO.

Then there's this - not that a Senator has any true say here, but posturing and timing is clearly sending a message:
https://www.c-span.org/amp/video/?c5033549

Quote:

South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham warns that if Russia were to detonate a nuclear weapon inside Ukraine, it should be considered an attack on NATO itself because of the inevitable spread of radiation to neighboring countries following such an attack, and he says the response should be "catastrophic to Russia."
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Fitch said:

To be fair, to me, it sounds like a tune is from a Russian Ballet from the 20s. You can hear the tune at the 20 second mark. So not sure what point he's trying to mak.

ABATTBQ11
AG
lb3 said:

They need a lot more vehicles than what they have. They've gotten vehicles in the hundreds, but bear in mind we had 20,000 MRAPs built for Iraq and Afghanistan, plus other transport vehicles
ABATTBQ11
AG
The song is Soon May the Wellerman Come

Apparently it is a folk song from New Zealand, but no one really knows exactly when it came from. First documented in the 60's, but it was around well before then. Kind of something everyone knows but never writes down.
sclaff
AG

80sGeorge
AG
aezmvp
Fitch said:

Guess we will see here shortly. Seems to have been kept under wraps. Somewhat doubtful it's a surprise move by Ukraine to spring on NATO.

Then there's this - not that a Senator has any true say here, but posturing and timing is clearly sending a message:

Quote:

South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham warns that if Russia were to detonate a nuclear weapon inside Ukraine, it should be considered an attack on NATO itself because of the inevitable spread of radiation to neighboring countries following such an attack, and he says the response should be "catastrophic to Russia."

Yeah not a big LG fan. I think he's a ******. But I think this is exactly how Poland would interpret this. Romania maybe too.
ABATTBQ11
AG
How did they even find that?
80sGeorge
AG
Not necessarily current tactics but a great thread on the calls made home to Russia very early on.

80sGeorge
AG
Newly mobilized Russian "soldiers", welcome to Ukraine. Please tattoo your name somewhere on your body. 182,000 tungsten fragments- sheesh

ABATTBQ11
AG
Frag out, mother****ers!
Sims
AG
It's like the hulk throwing a dumpster full of m67s at the poor target(s).
Bird Poo
AG
What's the blast radius of that thing? I imagine it spreads out before splashing.
80sGeorge
AG
Pretty devastating…

Waffledynamics
AG
FriscoKid
AG
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1575822859662159873.html

Putin's speech in non-Twitter format
RONA Ag
AG
Going to be interesting to see how with these poorly funded and trained conscripts they are going to fare in winter. I'm conflicted, can't decide whether the longer this goes the better for Ukraine or not. Does anyone have any idea what the total Ukrainian forces strength are at now?
Waffledynamics
AG
RONA Ag said:

Going to be interesting to see how with these poorly funded and trained conscripts they are going to fare in winter. I'm conflicted, can't decide whether the longer this goes the better for Ukraine or not. Does anyone have any idea what the total Ukrainian forces strength are at now?

Good enough that they have publicly stated that they do not require increased mobilization at this time. I'd be surprised if there were actual numbers available.
74OA
AG
Experts discuss the potential for Putin going nuclear.
Fitch
AG
FriscoKid
AG

Quote:

Mayor of Dnipro Filatov:
I only want one.
So that those creatures that ours surround under Liman are fully responsible for everything.
No need to write about God's punishment.
Let God rest.
Only the strength of our revenge matters.
I also want them all hanging from trees.
Bulldog73
AG
Interesting warning by US Embassy in Moscow-
https://warisboring.com/americans-urged-to-flee-russia-to-avoid-being-conscripted-into-the-war-in-ukraine/

Quote:

The advice came from the US Embassy in Moscow, which released the announcement on Tuesday.
"Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals' US citizenship, deny their access to US consular assistance, prevent their departure from Russia, and conscript dual nationals for military service," the embassy warned.
The embassy went on to note that it has become increasingly difficult to leave Russia, as flights have become packed and border checkpoints are overrun.
Those residing or traveling in Russia should depart Russia immediately while limited commercial travel options remain," the embassy's statement read.
Who?mikejones!
Fitch said:

Quote:

Ukraine will be in nato, eventually, precisely because of Russian invasions.

I also think this accelerated nato application is a counter to putin threatening nukes.

It's the same as putin holding these sham referendums and then declaring that Ukraine attacking the newly incorporated areas is the same as attacking Russia proper. Now, should nato absorb Ukraine, any nuke weapon use would be the same as attacking any nato country. The metrics would change for putin as would the consequences of such action.

Also, at this point, what's Russia gonna do? Invade Ukraine to stop it?

Waffledynamics
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 794 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.