***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,599,827 Views | 47846 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by sclaff
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Why do you need doctors when you are so slim on medical supplies that you are instructing conscripts to shove tampons in their bullet wounds?

Believe it or not, this is a legitimate tactic that I believe even we teach. We have specialized kits for this that are somewhat better, but this works surprisingly well. It goes in easy, is about the right size in most instances, and plugs the wound pretty well
AlaskanAg99
AG

Now this is interesting....

I'm not going to quote it, just read it.

Ok. Changed my mind.

If RU has no access...they may go after Norwegian pipelines...that deliver 25% of all Europe NG. But that'd be a strike against NATO.

Non nuclear...but if it's underwater this would be hard to prove and absolutely devastating to Europe.

Fightin_Aggie
AG
FireAg said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

There are apparently multiple ruptures in different points with no commonality...

Pretty confident this was deliberate...

What can be debated is who and why...
Maybe, but I think that is a leap if you don't know a lot about the pipeline. Once the pressure in the line collapses what prevents the seals in other areas of the line from being damaged from the surrounding deep water pressure on the line?

I don't know and I think a lot of people saying it was deliberate may not know either.

It may have been deliberate but I would like to here some more technical before we say we know for sure.
I work in pipeline...

My understanding is that both lines are affected, and they are affected in dissimilar areas and around dissimilar equipment..
Apparently, not super deep water, 220m and able to get to with scuba gear

The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
ABATTBQ11
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

There are apparently multiple ruptures in different points with no commonality...

Maybe, but I think that is a leap if you don't know a lot about the pipeline. Once the pressure in the line collapses what prevents the seals in other areas of the line from being damaged from the surrounding deep water pressure on the line?

I don't know and I think a lot of people saying it was deliberate may not know either.

It may have been deliberate but I would like to here some more technical before we say we know for sure.
I work in pipeline...

My understanding is that both lines are affected, and they are affected in dissimilar areas and around dissimilar equipment..

Can you imagine the decompression stops for that?
Waffledynamics
AG

I saw similar statements from Bulgaria, too.
Ulysses90
AG
cbr said:

CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Pretty rare to be caught on tape.

Ukrainians establish fire superiority, close in, call for the Russians to surrender, and take them prisoners.

Honestly these Russians are incredibly lucky.

just me, but if you are wearing bright blue **** over your camo, that means you expect complete fire superiority and are more worried about friendly fire than the enemy.

that alone says alot about what is really happening.
Hopefully the mods will give me some leeway before deleting this post because it is topical to the question of why the Ukes are wearing blue or yellow tape and the Russians are wearing white or red tape.

I was confused since the beginning of the war about why both sides were wearing colored tape on their sleeves. It started to make sense when l learned something about my Ukrainian ex-pat friend from Kharkiv. He served briefly in the Soviet military and was overseas in college at the time the USSR crumbled which left him as a man without a country. He became an Australian citizen and never moved back.

In July of this year, he and one of his employees from the US with whom I am also friends went to Ukraine to provide some services to the Ukrainian Army. It was a seat of the pants type mission and they had to do a lot of explaining about why their technology was useful but they were allowed to enter and spent three weeks there providing some training. I was asking about their work in Ukraine and Jeremy told me that it was really strange being an English speaker sitting between the Ukrainian liaison speaking Ukrainian and my friend from Kharkiv who only spoke Russian(!) on a 300 mile trip in the cab of a truck.

The Ukrainian LNO understood Russian and spoke Ukrainian. My ex-pat friend spoke Russian but understood Ukrainian because in eastern Ukraine during the Soviet era, the USSR prohibited the teaching of the Ukrainian language in the schools and Russian was enforced as the language of commerce. Ukrainian was only spoken freely in Kyiv and the western and southwestern parts of the country. I know two other guys from Kharkiv and I asked them about this. The older one in his 50s confirmed that his first language was Russian and the one in his late 30s said that he had started primary school speaking Russian and learned Ukrainian later.

The need for colored tape to distinguish between Ukes and Russians is probably due in large part to the fact that many of the forces fighting each other in Donbas are native Russian speakers on both sides and could easily mistake each other by voice and the hodgepodge of nonstandard uniforms.
wangus12
AG
2wealfth Man said:

betadawg1 said:

Would these be the troops where the generals requested retreat and Putin wouldn't let them? If so, these deaths are 100% on Putin and I hope Russians at home find out the truth on this.
The deaths are on Putin anyways. Its his fault they're there in the first place.
AgLA06
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

I work in pipeline...

According to the attached video, he had it wrong. 200' not meters. 70 meters deep.
aggiehawg
AG
txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

I work in pipeline...

According to the attached video, he had it wrong. 200' not meters. 70 meters deep.
If that is correct, that is not a difficult dive at all for any reasonably trained tech diver. Could have been done weeks ago with explosives waiting to be triggered.
AgLA06
AG
txags92 said:

AgLA06 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

I work in pipeline...

If that is correct, that is not a difficult dive at all for any reasonably trained tech diver. Could have been done weeks ago with explosives waiting to be triggered.

The comment was any commercial diver with a couple tanks could get there easy enough.
Gradaggie05
AG
The Russians have always excelled at getting men to the sea floor. It's the coming "back up alive" part that still needs work.

AgLA06 said:

txags92 said:

AgLA06 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

I work in pipeline...

The comment was any commercial diver with a couple tanks could get there easy enough.
sclaff
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I suspect the pressure was kept too low too long, and something in the pipeline design was inadequate to the task of keeping pressure out versus keeping internal pressure balanced against external pressure.

It's a significant strategic issue with regards to how Russia can pressure NATO economically if this essentially takes the Russian Gas supply issue off the table. There is less leverage to prevent greater NATO aid to Ukraine, and no reason Russia gets paid for gas it can't deliver, and that could be significant by hitting the Russian deployment at both ends: less revenue for its own arms purchases or manufacture and possibly more better equipment shows up in Ukrainian hands.
I keep seeing explosions reported and I wonder how do they know if it was a deliberate explosion vs the pipeline failing and an explosion.

The explosion they are seeing is a pressure wave not an explosion that can be seen. I don't know but why are they so quick to jump on sabotage?

If the line is shut or low flow, don't they need to keep the pressure in the pipe pretty high in deep water to keep it in tact?

The pipeline should be designed for such a collapse pressure scenario- empty pipe with external hydraulic pressure from the weight of the sea water.

The older, more corroded Nordstream 1 maybe? Nordstream 2 I would think not.... but it is Russian designed... therefore it could be more corruption vs. corrosion.
FriscoKid
AG

Looks like they are done counting.

The RT article is informative because this is the media story that they will tell their citizens.

Quote:

Moscow warned earlier that if the Donbass republics and the two southern Ukrainian regions united with Russia, it would consider any attempts by Kiev to retake them as attacks on its own land. "Immediately the Russian Constitution will come into force in relation to these territories where everything is very clearly stated in this regard," Peskov told journalists last week.
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
PJYoung
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

It's amazing that Russia screwed this part up like they've messed up every thing else.

They should've cut gas flows back in February when they launched their attack for this to have any bite.
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
agent-maroon
AG
Standing on the russian flag. Nice touch!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
PJYoung said:

Private PoopyPants said:

It's amazing that Russia screwed this part up like they've messed up every thing else.

They should've cut gas flows back in February when they launched their attack for this to have any bite.
They thought it was going to be a short war and that the European countries would be back on the teat within a few weeks. With 20/20 hindsight, they almost certainly would have cut the gas lines off immediately after the first sanctions took hold if they knew the war would be still raging heading into winter.
Bryan98
AG
I was in Kyiv in the summer of 2001 and I was told that everyone spoke Russian, and only old folks would speak Ukrainian. I assumed that was true, and as far as I could tell (only knowing a handful of phrases), it seemed to be correct.
CondensedFogAggie
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

Moscow warned earlier that if the Donbass republics and the two southern Ukrainian regions united with Russia, it would consider any attempts by Kiev to retake them as attacks on its own land. "Immediately the Russian Constitution will come into force in relation to these territories where everything is very clearly stated in this regard," Peskov told journalists last week.

Go **** yourself Peskov
Waffledynamics
AG
LMCane
Malibu2 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I think Russian control of information and social media in particular is a big problem for them. Once Ukraine punched through a bit of front line, if they can run some light forces into the secondary areas, word seems to spread fast on the Russian side via informal communications and social media that they are threatened with being encircled or cut off and no plan or response seems to arrive to direct them how to react, so they mostly just run or retreat back to a safer area. There appears to be a lack of capable leadership at the tactical level and control and use of communication to react to sudden changes with proper responses. That may be a systemic issue, and if that is not worked out, Ukraine will be able to continuously exploit that.

I don't know how Russia can resolve that in the middle of the war. There is not time to train and implement changes to deal with slow information flow and improper tactical reactions to having flank and rear security threatened. There's no time to develop better leadership in the field.

When it comes to military tactics I am admittedly a rank amateur. How hard would it be right now to consolidate command into one five star general to coordinate all of Russia's war effort? I've heard that their command structure is severely fragmented, and it seems a very obvious step from the outside is to have a consolidated chain of command so that everyone is at least using the same playbook. It might be too little too late, but who knows.

This also might be completely stupid amateur outlook, but with the size of the conscription army about to go to Ukraine, I think it actually helps Russia a lot. Small victories just by sheer volume increase morale, and experience tends to be a much better teacher than the classroom. The Russians that survive will not be the incompetent lottery winners, they'll be the high speed soldiers that will be much more difficult to defeat. But I am willing to be called out for being an idiot if this is a stupid take.

Unfortunately for the Russkies, it's not a game of Risk where one Five Star General can put all his forces in South Africa and take over a continent. In the real world, you need tactics, doctrine and strategy all working together.

in the Russian army, we have known for 80 years they have no NCO corps able to make quick decisions at the squad, platoon and company level.

Because it was a dictatorship for decades, the initiative of private individuals was always destroyed, and only the top leadership could be obeyed. So even on the battlefield, soldiers are given one order and must execute it, without being able to change it due to circumstances. Hence you see the awful tactics over the last 7 months of Russkies literally driving down a road under fire, and still just driving forward or running into a ditch

you can't change the modus operandi of an army in a few weeks, or a few months, or a few years.
Waffledynamics
AG
Unbelievable. This is probably the peak of Russian State TV.

Edit: Apparently it's a parody. I thought it was legitimate based on the few Russian words I know matching up, but it's still hilarious.

This one is real, though. He is flabbergasted at Russia's failures and the blatant inferiority of their military. I'm surprised he can say this sort of stuff on TV.

Malibu
Oh my God. Baghdad Bob doesn't want to die in Ukraine. That is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. Everybody's hard charging and ready to win the war for Mother Russia until it's their turn to stand post.

ETA: Ah man, fake. But still funny.
javajaws
AG
Waffledynamics said:

LOL the woman suggesting to send rapists and art students then he goes on to suggest there are plenty of ethnic minorities they can send instead! These sound like really nice people.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
EastSideAg2002
Waffledynamics said:

W.o.w.

I'm not sure which was the best part. The whining, the send in the minorities, the bttch not wanting to be cannon fodder, or the other old man calling out the host. Amazing.
Proc92
Wow. Send in the ethnics, pedos, and especially the art students, not me!

Oh, I see that it's not real. Too bad.
Straight Talk
AG
David Wallace said:

amercer said:

Well, Ukraine still seems to exist this morning which is more than I expected. Every day this drags on is a loss for Russia.
This is going to drag on for a long time. Russia may be able to knock some stuff out and destroy military targets, but there WILL be a Ukrainian Resistance. This will not be a long term cake-walk for Russia. Not sure how long Russia can keep this going. What will this all look like in 6-9 months? Who knows, but Russia will pay a huge price economically and in the world.

This is the end of Putin. I just don't see how they can hold onto Ukraine long term.
Sir, I applaud your knowledge and foresight.
FamousAgg
Amazing how many thought that clip was genuine
agent-maroon
AG
I've got to admit that sending the art students made it credible to me
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Not a Bot
AG
Russia continues to attack Ukrainian water and electric infrastructure. They want to make life miserable for people in the cities this winter. Keep in mind that even if you are in a building that hasn't been directly hit, it's likely your windows have been blown out. Winter is coming and it gets very cold. Some very difficult months ahead for Ukrainian citizens, especially in the east.
First Page Last Page
Page 785 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.