***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,609,323 Views | 47849 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 74OA
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just read an article that mentioned this photo was from a military rehearsal over a year ago. The Russians aren't that desperate yet. I'd expect to see them packing SKSs first.
AgLA06
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

I just read an article that mentioned this photo was from a military rehearsal over a year ago. The Russians aren't that desperate yet. I'd expect to see them packing SKSs first.

Or apparently rusted AKs locked in place.

That is unreal.
No Spin Ag
marcel ledbetter said:

So they're doing as horrible as they have been, and they haven't gotten down to lower/older level of weaponry? It's going to be a slaughter once they get to that point.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Oh bud.

txags92
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Oh bud.

When you trip and the trees start laughing at you...

FIDO95
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

agent-maroon said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but is the acquisition of Ukraine an existential necessity for the rus? I don't see that and I can't understand why they're betting all their chips on this particular hand. I understand that this may now be an existential issue for Putin the man, but for the country itself?

Keep thinking that someone high enough is going to see this and take Putin out.

Russia wants parts of Ukraine for many reasons, but it is existential now because Putin and those around him sold this as a "special military operation" with little risk and tons of upside, figuring the Ukrainians would fold quickly and be replaced by a puppet government.

That didn't happen, and the Russian army has suffered catastrophic losses. If they just go home now, they will have lost tens of thousands of men, probably $10-$15 billion in equipment, another few billion in munitions and fuel, and God knows how much damage to their economy for... nothing. That would be a hard pill for Russia to swallow, and the reigning politicians can't really afford that because all of them are basically complicit. It's kind of a sunk cost fallacy where they should cut their losses, but if they cut their losses they still have to answer for them. If they quadruple down, maybe they can get something. They'll definitely be way worse off, but at least they'll have something for their trouble to justify their hundreds of thousands of dead and complete lack of a military.
Very well said. It demonstrates the true danger of the current situation. Russia/Putin's failure to recognize the "truth" of the situation on the ground will result in the creation of more death and destruction.

Jordan Peterson talked about the rise of totalitarianism and genocide that follows. It's a product of individuals, societies, and as a result, government's willingness to lie. We have witnessed the result Russian individual corruption in their military as it is a shell of what it was purported to be. We have seen the propaganda of "Ukrainian nazis" and more from the Russian media. We have heard the call to arms from the Russian government for the "special operation". The stronger the lies, the stronger the winds that will continue to fan the flames; The flames that are creating Hell on Earth.

For the TLDW crowd: just start at 9:30.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Okay, at this point, it's becoming evident that they're just throwing numbers out there.

Waffledynamics
AG
LiveUAMap reported a lot of shelling overnight, especially along the Donetsk line.

aggiehawg
AG
That's still a long ass offensive front to have that much concerted action happening.
CondensedFogAggie

"I fought in the war for 5 minutes, asked to stay on Ukrainian side" - Russian soldier in capture

Surprisingly interesting interview. Russian soldier is continuously lied to, his tank hit by an RPG, surrenders, and now helps the Ukes maintain and fix armored vehicles.
74OA
AG
In addition to gearing up the arms industry to re-supply a long fight, NATO is also setting up an equipment repair hub just over the border in Poland. It's clear that the US and EU don't foresee a quick end to the war.

REPAIR
RESUPPLY
aggiehawg
AG
That was very interesting. Thanks for posting. My opinion of Russians as a culture keeps going further and further down. Brutish people. And not very smart.
Fitch
AG
Worth the 4 minute watch, even if it is CNN

CondensedFogAggie

*Soon to be liberated Sevastopol
AgLA06
AG
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

"I fought in the war for 5 minutes, asked to stay on Ukrainian side" - Russian soldier in capture

Surprisingly interesting interview. Russian soldier is continuously lied to, his tank hit by an RPG, surrenders, and now helps the Ukes maintain and fix armored vehicles.

This is nuts and sounds like the norm for conscripts and recent enlistment.

They lie to them about the contracts, pay, and where they will be stationed.

Soviet era equipment and clothes. 1/3 of which was operable and according to him, every one had something broken.

They give the little to no training and got zero live fire training. In his case 15 minutes of practice time driving a tank a day for a week before being shipped to the front.

Only had limited ammo and no contact with infantry support. Believes his tank group was used as bait to locate / draw Ukrainian fire. He was the only one to survive.

They are told not to surrender because of pending torture and death by Ukrainians and given grenades to end it.

Turns out everything Russia told him was a lie and he'd prefer to earn Ukrainian trust and stay to help them instead of getting shipped back. Especially considering Ukrainian troops tried, but Russians wouldn't exchange him or recover their dead.

I repeat, nuts!
Blackbeard94
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Did he say head up the rear?
Blackbeard94
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Oh bud.

The Ents are going to war! Go get em boys
74OA
AG
74OA said:

In addition to gearing up the arms industry to re-supply a long fight, NATO is also setting up an equipment repair hub just over the border in Poland. It's clear that the US and EU don't foresee a quick end to the war.

REPAIR
RESUPPLY
Here's a very good (but long) related presentation quantifying how much Russian equipment has been either abandoned or captured and the importance of recovery and repair to actually re-use that stuff. It's an informative tutorial on industrial warfare, if not particularly entertaining. "Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics."

RECOVERY
Eliminatus
AG
AgLA06 said:

CondensedFoggyAggie said:

This is nuts and sounds like the norm for conscripts and recent enlistment.

They lie to them about the contracts, pay, and where they will be stationed.

Soviet era equipment and clothes. 1/3 of which was operable and according to him, every one had something broken.

They give the little to no training and got zero live fire training. In his case 15 minutes of practice time driving a tank a day for a week before being shipped to the front.

Only had limited ammo and no contact with infantry support. Believes his tank group was used as bait to locate / draw Ukrainian fire. He was the only one to survive.

They are told not to surrender because of pending torture and death by Ukrainians and given grenades to end it.

Turns out everything Russia told him was a lie and he'd prefer to earn Ukrainian trust and stay to help them instead of getting shipped back. Especially considering Ukrainian troops tried, but Russians wouldn't exchange him or recover their dead.

I repeat, nuts!
This is proof of a nation on its last legs already. Which most of us know already but this brings it home in my head fully for some reason. Desperation tactics that are simply outdated at this point in history.

Wild ride over the past 6 months. I remember staying up and missing class the next day during the first day of the invasion and geolocating Russian convoy movement on security cams and passing it along and now here we are. Watching an attempt at a human wave strategy with no real adequate infrastructure to support it.

Thanks to CFA for the link. Fascinating.

74OA
AG
Putin fires his chief logistics general and replaces him with a thug well-known for brutality. GONE

Yet another logistics headache for Russia. TRUCKS
Waffledynamics
AG
****ing animals.

Waffledynamics
AG

Waffledynamics
AG
74OA
AG
Yet another reason why all of the roughly $350B of Putin's money frozen in western banks should be transferred to Ukraine as war reparations.

74OA
AG
Waffledynamics said:

****ing animals.

If they're doing that to their own people, imagine what they're doing to Ukrainians.
74OA
AG
Rain hampering Ukraine's push in the east. SLOG
agent-maroon
AG
Any back story on that arrest? She didn't look to be all that dangerous.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG
74OA said:

Rain hampering Ukraine's push in the east. SLOG
Quote:

"For now, the rain is making it difficult to use heavy weapons everywhere. We can only use paved roads," Ukrainian army sergeant Roman Malyna told AFP, as tanks and APCs manoeuvred under the downpour.

"For now, because it's hard to move forward due to the weather, we are targeting their armoured vehicles, ammunition depots and groups of soldiers," he said.
Doing what they can.
Waffledynamics
AG
Protestors are not being treated very well right now in Russia.
FamousAgg
agent-maroon
AG
Martial law is Putin's last hope to remain in power and probably isn't going to work.
Waffledynamics
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 775 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.