***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,613,377 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 74OA
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agthatbuilds said:

no serious sniper is using a "beam" for targeting. Sounds like the assassin has seen too many movies…
GAC06
AG
With Russia scraping the bottom of the barrel with T-62's, these should fit in
DCPD158
AG
GAC06 said:

With Russia scraping the bottom of the barrel with T-62's, these should fit in
With the upgrades, bet it could take a 62 in a straight up fight
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
GAC06
AG
Yeah, seems likely more modern than wherever Russia is pulling out of storage
Waffledynamics
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Can they get a 'learner's permit' with a simulator?

Do we have tank simulators? IDK.
txags92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Waffledynamics said:

It isn't about learning to drive and shoot them so much as how to maintain a turbine engine. Completely different from any of the soviet tank engines they are used to.
FIDO95
AG

Fascinating first hand account of the first months of the war from a Russian soldier. Confirms how they were ill prepared and lied to and how it all went so badly. He published his account and has since had to flee Russia for his own safety.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

It isn't about learning to drive and shoot them so much as how to maintain a turbine engine. Completely different from any of the soviet tank engines they are used to.
I thought we had mechs in Poland that were using encrypted comms to tell them how to do that? And getting replacement parts, or watching them improvise with what they had?
ABATTBQ11
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I thought we had mechs in Poland that were using encrypted comms to tell them how to do that? And getting replacement parts, or watching them improvise with what they had?

Big difference between howitzers/trucks and a turbine engine.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Big difference between howitzers/trucks and a turbine engine.
Duly noted.

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic.
92AG10
AG
aggiehawg said:

Yes we do
Ulysses90
AG
aggiehawg said:

Waffledynamics said:

Oh yeah, the US has got simulators. PEO STRI Foreign Military Sales could get Lockheed Martin moving really fast on some M1A1 Armored Gunnery Training Simulators. They sold a dozen to the Saudis just a few years ago.

The biggest challenge the Ukes would have is with the fuel requirements of the gas turbine engine. It burns several gallons just to fire it up. That's a LOT of fuel trucks.
aezmvp
aggiehawg said:

Waffledynamics said:

There used to be large tank simulator groups in Germany. Wouldnt surprise me if they still have those.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanls guys!
wangus12
AG
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

GeoLocated by @TexAgg04

Isn't this the unit that was supposedly wiped out?
FriscoKid
AG
Yep
GAC06
AG
Not sure our tanks are what would be provided. Lots of other western tanks to choose without the thirsty turbine engine. Leopards would be a likely choice in my opinion. Also Ukraine produced and refurbished tanks before the war so I don't think maintenance would be a huge issue
74OA
AG
GAC06 said:

Not sure our tanks are what would be provided. Lots of other western tanks to choose without the thirsty turbine engine. Leopards would be a likely choice in my opinion. Also Ukraine produced and refurbished tanks before the war so I don't think maintenance would be a huge issue
Western tanks are certainly rising to the top of the conversation. M1?
GAC06
AG
Pure speculation but Poland has about 250 leopards and is buying M1's. Pretty easy to send the leopards and buy more abrams
txags92
AG
GAC06 said:

Pure speculation but Poland has about 250 leopards and is buying M1's. Pretty easy to send the leopards and buy more abrams
Based on what the source was saying above, I would not think M1s are going to Ukraine any time soon. The turbine engines are unlike anything else the Ukrainians have or would have worked on. It will take time to train the mechanics and maintainers to take care of them. The Leopards have a V12 diesel that is probably much closer to what they are used to working on.
GAC06
AG
That's what I was saying
CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CitBSS0rAbX
Quote:

"The chaos of casualty evacuations is indescribable. You arrive on scene and see soldiers clustered around the wounded, shouting for help, frantically trying to stop the bleeding, trying to apply makeshift bandages. Their eyes are full of terror at the thought of losing another buddy…another brother-in-arms.

Typically, the sight of a female medic will garner a small amount of attention, and gives me enough time to call out commands in my limited Ukrainian vocabulary. One day, however, the scene was particularly chaotic and I was attempting to transfer a casualty from the back of a pick-up truck to my ambulance.

The man was bleeding profusely from multiple sites, and time was of the essence. His buddies were gathered around me, trying to help but mostly just yelling and getting in my way. After none of my usual attention calling tactics worked, I found myself desperately calling out in English:

"Listen to me, mother-****ers!!!"

Surprisingly, this unorthodox approach worked, and the man to my right even called out:

"Yes! Mother****ers! Listen!"

With the help of the soldiers, I was able to get the casualty into my ambulance and get him out of there. On the way to the hospital, my team and I were sure we would lose him. The loss of blood called for a blood transfusion but all I had was fluids and TXA. We applied tourniquets, packed the wounds, and administered the meds we had.

The whole ride, while we tried to stabilize him, we kept calling his name, willing him to hang on. He was barely conscious when we arrived at the stabilization point, but I was sure he wouldn't last much longer. As we washed the blood out the ambulance, I kicked the stretcher with the most anger I think I have ever felt.

Then, a colleague/doctor came to my ambulance and nodded at me.

"What's the word?" I asked.

"He's okay. He will make it."

I went inside and spoke to him as he lay on the table. He squeezed my hand and winked at him.

He survived."

- bekamaciorowskiii. Volunteer Medic. Ukraine. August, 2022
K2-HMFIC
Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Waffledynamics said:

Oh yeah, the US has got simulators. PEO STRI Foreign Military Sales could get Lockheed Martin moving really fast on some M1A1 Armored Gunnery Training Simulators. They sold a dozen to the Saudis just a few years ago.

The biggest challenge the Ukes would have is with the fuel requirements of the gas turbine engine. It burns several gallons just to fire it up. That's a LOT of fuel trucks.

Isn't it like a gallon per minute or something absurd?
Who?mikejones!

Russia getting ready to try and overwhelm Ukraine by sending massive numbers?

Should be interesting
Who?mikejones!

Russia is going to make ukraine a part of russia again.

Does that mean Russia will consider nato as attacking Russia proper? Will nato take the bait?
MouthBQ98
AG
74OA said:

CondensedFoggyAggie said:

74OA said:

It's an upgraded T-55 with a 105mm main gun. Good for rear security and infantry support.
Is it not a frontline main battle tank?
It's been uparmored, upgunned and has decent electronics, but not a MBT in a modern military.

It's not how big it is, it's how you use it. That old L7 with the proper ammunition can take out these upgraded T72 it is likely to encounter on a battlefield still. Without modern western optics and fire control, it probably couldn't hit on the move, on the attack, but defensively it would be sufficient. It's also more than a match for any lighter armored vehicle. I'd agree it's best role would be deployment in a unit tasked with defense to free up better tank options for offensive operations.
Waffledynamics
AG
agent-maroon
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Does that mean Russia will consider nato as attacking Russia proper? Will nato take the bait?

Maybe that's why the Ukes are prosecuting the current counter offensive with such a strong sense of urgency? Thoughts?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Should be interesting

If Russia mobilizes and sends mass numbers, then the losses will be unfathomable.

For them.

I cannot imagine the scale of the ****show they would bring upon themselves. They cannot even handle what's on their plate, and they're supposed to handle a full mobilization? Logistics is already a nightmare.
Who?mikejones!
agent-maroon said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Maybe that's why the Ukes are prosecuting the current counter offensive with such a strong sense of urgency? Thoughts?

Maybe so. I also think they have to because it really puts Russia in a bind.

The political implications of annexing is a vexing one. If Russia brings those regions, even if illegitimate, does Russia then claim nato is attacking Russia directly?

Does the USA try to restrict which weapons could be used against that region as they have done for Russia proper?

Does Russia justify a full mobilization due to a direct attack against its alleged boundaries?
Who?mikejones!
Waffledynamics said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Should be interesting

If Russia mobilizes and sends mass numbers, then the losses will be unfathomable.

For them.

I cannot imagine the scale of the ****show they would bring upon themselves. They cannot even handle what's on their plate, and they're supposed to handle a full mobilization? Logistics is already a nightmare.

I dont think they care. Probably back to sending one soldier with a weapon and another with a magazine with machine guns at their back to discourage going backwards.
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Moscow city authorities to convert "migrants center" in Sakharovo into mobilisation center for foreign citizens

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/20-september-moscow-city-authorities-to-convert-migrants
Who?mikejones!
I dont think it changes Ukraine's perspective in any way either.

But, would it changes western countries who've had a pretty red line against using their weapons to attack Russia proper.
First Page Last Page
Page 759 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.