***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,628,044 Views | 47859 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Russian shelling destroyed last powerline from Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant to electrical power system of Ukraine. 6th power unit shutdown
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/5-september-russian-shelling-destroyed-last-powerline-from
Stupid question - why did they have to shell the powerlines? Why didn't they just walk up to the line poles and set some timed charges? Are they trying to frame the Ukrainians and create some sort of plausible deniability, maybe?

Because that seems like a lot of work to sell something that absolutely nobody is going to buy
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG
agent-maroon said:

Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Russian shelling destroyed last powerline from Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant to electrical power system of Ukraine. 6th power unit shutdown
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/5-september-russian-shelling-destroyed-last-powerline-from
Stupid question - why did they have to shell the powerlines? Why didn't they just walk up to the line poles and set some timed charges? Are they trying to frame the Ukrainians and create some sort of plausible deniability, maybe?

Because that seems like a lot of work to sell something that absolutely nobody is going to buy
I honestly have no idea. Russia's done a lot of weird, illogical things in this war, though. It doesn't really come as extremely out of the ordinary to do yet more weird things.

Statement according to Energoatom's official Telegram:

Quote:

Over the past three days, the Russian occupying forces have continued intensive shelling of the territory around the Zaporizhzhya NPP. As a result, the 750 kV ZAEP Dniprovska, 330 kV ZaTES Kakhovska and 330 kV ZaTES Melitopol transmission lines were damaged and disconnected. The 750/330 kV power plant of the ZNPP was also damaged. Other lines of the ZANP/ZaTES complex were damaged even earlier.

Today, September 5, 2022, as a result of a fire that occurred due to shelling, the 330 kV ZaTES Ferroalloy transmission line was disconnected, that is, the last line that connected the ZaNPP/ZaTES node with the energy system of Ukraine! As a result, power unit No. 6 was unloaded and disconnected from the network, which currently supplies the ZNPP's own needs.
https://t.me/energoatom_ua/9435

Also very bad:

Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG

Geolocation Tweet linked instead of embedded to avoid page formatting problems due to sensitive content embeds.

Apparently this is a fairly sizeable base in the region and has been an important railway hub for the Russians to control.
JFABNRGR
AG
Shot from russian pov after heavy attack. At least 2 armor pieces gone and multiple casualties. Interpretation(s) in the comments. Apocalyptic.

FWIW There is a body, no blood, likely overpressure kill.

Not much left of the site and I have no idea what hit it. arty barrage, MRLS, HIMARS, HARM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/x6ma5g/0rkz_filmed_the_aftermath_of_a_powerful_blow_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Good read on what orc air defense doing or not doing.

https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_and_tech/bayraktar_tb2_keeps_hunting_and_gives_russian_air_defense_systems_a_choice_either_mam_l_or_harm_video-4120.html
Not a Bot
AG
I'm blown away that Russia has been unable to gain any sort of serious air superiority. Now Ukrainian Migs are flying around shooting NATO missiles. Just crazy.

I think most expected Russia to be flying pretty much unimpeded over the entirety of Ukraine by day 7 to 10 of the war. So much to dive into as to what their capabilities were on paper versus reality.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks for posting that. Air defense for the Russians seem to get to choose which way they die. Stay active and the missiles lock onto them or turn them off and try to hide from the Bayraktars.
Gilligan
AG
The body in question is thoroughly roasted. At least the guy filming seems to show some compassion.

The SAM operators were eviscerated.

The 2nd article states that RuZZia is either leaving AIr Defenses off so as not to be a HARM target or that they're out of fuel and lubricants. Possibly both.

Regardless, they're getting their aZZes handed to them.
docb
AG
unmade bed said:

Russia is going to put on a clinic on modern war fighting.

Cyberattacks throughout Ukraine being reported. Things about to get very difficult for Ukraine.

Kind of funny reading through some of the posts on page 1. How's that modern warfare clinic going now for the Russians?
GAC06
AG
Bad takes revisited get deleted quickly. There's a goldmine of internet tactician's bad takes at the beginning of this thread.
2wealfth Man
AG
docb said:

unmade bed said:

Russia is going to put on a clinic on modern war fighting.

Cyberattacks throughout Ukraine being reported. Things about to get very difficult for Ukraine.

Kind of funny reading through some of the posts on page 1. How's that modern warfare clinic going now for the Russians?
It turns out that Russia had little more than a peasant army. It seems Not much has really changed on their side since Stalin rolled out millions of men and just overwhelmed the Germans by sheer force of numbers. What has changed is the fact that modern warfare has become a battle of technology and who can best utilize it in an integrated fashion on the battlefield. I don't know how they get out of this pickle they are in now without resorting to more draconian measures at home to increase their manpower on the battlefield to such a point where they have an overwhelming advantage. That said I don't think they can logistically support such a build up (nor will the Ukes let them).
JFABNRGR
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

I'm blown away that Russia has been unable to gain any sort of serious air superiority. Now Ukrainian Migs are flying around shooting NATO missiles. Just crazy.

I think most expected Russia to be flying pretty much unimpeded over the entirety of Ukraine by day 7 to 10 of the war. So much to dive into as to what their capabilities were on paper versus reality.
There has not been a lot of discussion on russian air power with few articles written by those in intelligence and or mil in general, as compared to other subjects: logistics, training, NCO corp, tires, manpower, etc.

After watching this atrocity regularly I offer the following on possible russian air power limitations. First its doubtful that its any one thing but a combination of several issues that also plague their whole military complex starting with corruption and lack of NCO corp.

In the beginning of the war they had some initial success but also lost several aircraft and were never able to completely knock out key Ukrainian targets to include supply lines. Since then we have seen manned aircraft use diminish significantly. I suspect their intel on target locations and planning was ill prepared for this invasion and remains worse even now six months in.

There is clear evidence of manpower issues in the ground BTGs and likely same manpower issues in their air force. This includes parts and or qualified mechanic issues. If were having trouble keeping our aircraft operational than russia probably has way more trouble.

Just over a month into the invasion, the west began sending or at least publicly announcing the supply of anti aircraft weapon systems to Ukraine. I think this alone was significant deterrent to russia use of AtG missions. Case in point the British Star Streak was all over the war news, yet to my knowledge there is only one recorded video of a shoot down, still unconfirmed it was even starstreak and that was on a helo.

From a strategic standpoint if the russian airpower is capable, than their joint staff simply does not know how to use it properly as effective combined arms like we do or they have been left with no other choice in maintaining some strategic defense effort against other threats with the exception of their subs and what aircraft they have left meanwhile sacrificing a significant part of their ground armies. Subs cant get anywhere fast or carry too many infantrymen. I am also not aware of how you get to be a pilot in russia. If this is a privileged position from politicians/oligarchs than maybe there is some corrupted protection going on as well.

On the flip side we see UKR running more and more air ops, both manned and unmanned, with the TB2s hammering away again thanks to the HARMs and HIMARS.
Twice an Aggie
AG
Remember too - Soviet hordes only succeeded with American trucks, American raw materials, etc. They never had good logistics and never had what they needed to crank out all those tanks...they used our raw materials coming on massive convoys.
docb
AG
I think the HARM missiles have also helped out a lot.
cbr
AG
Twice an Aggie said:

Remember too - Soviet hordes only succeeded with American trucks, American raw materials, etc. They never had good logistics and never had what they needed to crank out all those tanks...they used our raw materials coming on massive convoys.
It took the soviets 4 years to get to berlin, despite literally 8-1 advantage in men, 30-1 planes, 20-1 tanks, 100-1 trucks, and infinity -1 in fuel, all made possible solely by bribing and stealing american tech through the depression, and while they started ww2 by invading more countries han the nazis did, even while they were allied with the nazis.

And despite being given everything else, once the german war started, roughly 8% of us gdp all the way through their violation of the yalta and her ageeements and land grabbing in europe and asia in late 1945.

The russians have never been good at much other than corrupting american politicians
Waffledynamics
AG
I posted this earlier on in the thread going on two months ago, most likely. The video is interesting, and basically highlights a problem of matching planes for what functions they're being asked to do. Some more knowledgeable people may have more feedback on the analysis here.

Waffledynamics
AG
At 5:32, he leads up to a video from Russian State TV about why the Soviet concentration camps were good. They also recognize that people call them orcs. Also, they're the good guys and are fighting for the poor, wayward Ukrainians' souls.

At 10:04, we get to hear an intercepted phone call between Russians. The conditions for their frontline soldiers are awful. No sleeping bags, clothes, basically little to no supplies. They're being given rifles from the 1970s. They're not even given anti-tank weapons by and large. How are they going to survive the winter?!

13:50: He corrects himself from a few episodes ago. Ukraine still controls Kodema in the East, S/SE of Bakhmut.
lb3
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
txags92
AG
Would be a real shame if those North Korean ships had accidental fires and sank on their way to Russia.
74OA
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

The Russian air force is performing according to its design. Airpower

"Following the invasion of Ukraine on 24 February the Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) operated in accordance with Russian military doctrine and tactics. Conceptually the VKS is offensively an extension of Russian artillery, and defensively an extension of Russian air defence systems (such as surface to air missiles). It has no concept of theatre air operations."
JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

Private PoopyPants said:

"Following the invasion of Ukraine on 24 February the Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) operated in accordance with Russian military doctrine and tactics. Conceptually the VKS is offensively an extension of Russian artillery, and defensively an extension of Russian air defence systems (such as surface to air missiles). It has no concept of theatre air operations."
Thanks for posting between this and Waffledynamics Abysmal Air power video good info I would like to see an updated version of the YT video.

Key takeaways:

• No doctrine of coordinated air attack even though the USA has used it very effectively for a long time, article cites 1991 but one could argue US effective use of air power all the way back to the world wars. This alone is completely inept.
  • Extremely limited optical/E targeting control.
  • Very limited training and limited or no use of simulators.
  • Target data from sat likely a week old and limited resolution.
  • Extremely limited night or all weather capabilities.
  • Use of western GPS for NAV causing cross platform using GLONAS and targeting control issues.
  • As of May, 2200 Cruise Missiles launched with a 40% hit rate.

“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
aezmvp
Those are probably shipped via the one major rail line that connects N Korea to Vladivostok. Then down the trans Siberian rail line. Now that would be a real shame if some sub standard munitions blew up there.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ukraine is advancing in the East, South of Kharkiv.

Quote:

Russian troops while retreating towards Balakliia have blown up the bridge over Balakliyka river

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/6-september-russian-troops-while-retreating-towards-balakliia
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Explosions and shots reported in central Berdiansk

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/6-september-explosions-and-shots-reported-in-central-berdiansk

This is Eastward along the coast of the Sea of Azov from Mariupol. With recent activity picking up in those cities, it indicates that Russia has far from the control that they want in the South.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Big fire in Kryvyi Rih after Russian missile strike at oil depot

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/6-september-big-fire-in-kryvyi-rih-after-russian-missile
Waffledynamics
AG
Take it with a grain of salt:

Quote:

General staff of armed forces of Ukraine estimates Russian fatalities at 50150

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/6-september-general-staff-of-armed-forces-of-ukraine-estimates

Ag In Ok
AG
Setting up for a fall / winter assault on Izium maybe…
Waffledynamics
AG
Considering Uke gains South of Izyum, that's a possibility. They could also be trying to get closer to the M03 highway so they can further harass supply lines and have more road access come winter. Control of those roads will be really important. The Ukrainians have already been doing this Northwest of Izyum, as you can see from the map (can't post a screenshot right now).

Taking back Izyum would be a big get. There are a lot of Russians there.
74OA
AG
JFABNRGR said:

74OA said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Thanks for posting between this and Waffledynamics Abysmal Air power video good info I would like to see an updated version of the YT video.

Key takeaways:

• No doctrine of coordinated air attack even though the USA has used it very effectively for a long time, article cites 1991 but one could argue US effective use of air power all the way back to the world wars. This alone is completely inept.
  • Extremely limited optical/E targeting control.
  • Very limited training and limited or no use of simulators.
  • Target data from sat likely a week old and limited resolution.
  • Extremely limited night or all weather capabilities.
  • Use of western GPS for NAV causing cross platform using GLONAS and targeting control issues.
  • As of May, 2200 Cruise Missiles launched with a 40% hit rate.

"In summary, the VKS did not conduct a coordinated air campaign against the Ukraine because it lacks the doctrine, tactics, training or operational imperative to conduct such a campaign. It was conceived as and remains an air force subordinated to land power and unable to exploit the characteristics of air power."
GinMan
AG
Are there any embedded journalists operating the front lines with actual real time footage from the front lines? Mostly what is shown by the media is aftermath footage of destroyed buildings, rocket fire/artillery. You don't see any close combat or door to door type interaction similar to Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, WWII,
Waffledynamics
AG
GinMan said:

Are there any embedded journalists operating the front lines with actual real time footage from the front lines? Mostly what is shown by the media is aftermath footage of destroyed buildings, rocket fire/artillery. You don't see any close combat or door to door type interaction similar to Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, WWII,

There have definitely been instances of active combat footage, but I imagine it's probably more available on sites like Telegram or some of the relevant subreddits (much as I loathe Reddit). OpSec and gore are probably among the reasons you don't see a ton of it from MSM.
FriscoKid
AG
FriscoKid
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
GinMan said:

Probably not many if any at all. If there are, you won't see footage until much later. The Ukrainians do not seem as willing as we are to allow the press to **** things up with their need to be the first to tell everyone everything.
First Page Last Page
Page 723 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.