***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,215 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by LMCane
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Private PoopyPants said:

That's a very confusing video. I think the perception is off and angles are playing a trick on the eye. The second one looks like it flies through the power lines.

I think the camera is on a hill and the area below the choppers is a ditch

Edit. Checked again, this is correct. Theres a weird optical effect on the first one that makes it look like it passes in front of the second closest pole on the right but it doesnt. The lines drop down a hill and you can see the lines continuing far away and they are way down on a valley floor.
GarryowenAg
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Not seeing anything much from Ukrainian news outlets of this counteroffensive. Probably have been told to stay quiet for now.
Agreed. The only news I'm seeing is through OSINT folks. Hopefully all this smoke leads to something more than just a limited attack.
GarryowenAg
AG
Cautiously hopeful this is accurate.
GarryowenAg
AG
Regarding the recent bombings in Crimea:
FriscoKid
AG
FriscoKid
AG
TRM
AG
This makes sense why today was the counterattack date.

GarryowenAg
AG
GarryowenAg
AG
FriscoKid
AG
Wonder if we are watching the end of the war. Russia might be close to complete collapse if they are in full retreat as it's being suggested in some of the tweets. It won't just be Kherson. They might be lucky to hold onto Crimea at this point.
FriscoKid
AG

Wonder if this is a real message?
FriscoKid
AG
GarryowenAg
AG
FriscoKid said:

Wonder if we are watching the end of the war. Russia might be close to complete collapse if they are in full retreat as it's being suggested in some of the tweets. It won't just be Kherson. They might be lucky to hold onto Crimea at this point.
I think we're far from that culminating point. The East is by far the hardest to retake. If the Ukes have any hope of retaking the south, I think they will need to take out the Kerch bridge.
aezmvp
Liberating the West bank is one thing. Getting forces across the river and pushing the counter offensive into other parts of Southern Ukraine/Crimea are completely different.
Ag In Ok
AG
Odd, but my Spotify playlist (classical) just started Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

I wasn't expecting this counterattack. I was skeptical that the Ukes had the troops to do it. This is a difficult conflict to gauge each sides actual strength.
Waffledynamics
AG
Not sure about the accuracy of the caption, but dayum.

GarryowenAg
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Wonder if this is a real message?
The part about Shoigu appears to be correct.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11156383/Russias-defence-minister-Sergei-Shoigu-lined-Putin-ridiculed-soldiers.html
74OA
AG
Romania as a model for transitioning the Ukrainian air force to F-16s. DO IT
sclaff
AG

Gordo14
Hopefully this is a continuation of the shift of momentum in Ukraine and that Russia gets fully routed in Khersan.
Gordo14
aezmvp said:

Liberating the West bank is one thing. Getting forces across the river and pushing the counter offensive into other parts of Southern Ukraine/Crimea are completely different.

Sure, but the goal shouldn't be for that to happen tomorrow after taking back Khersan could be focused around Melitopol. Theoretically they may never need to cross that river in combat.
FriscoKid
AG

Interesting because of the author of the tweet.
AgLA06
AG
Not knowing who the author is, I went and looked. It's a supposedly a Moscow media bureau chief. So it would be really bad for him if he posted this and it not be true.

One can hope.
txags92
AG
Gordo14 said:

aezmvp said:

Sure, but the goal shouldn't be for that to happen tomorrow after taking back Khersan could be focused around Melitopol. Theoretically they may never need to cross that river in combat.
Taking Kherson puts the whole logistical supply feeding and arming the troops from Kherson to Melitopol and Berdyansk at least in reach of Ukrainian artillery if not direct attack. Eliminating the ability of the orcs to resupply those areas via Crimea will directly hamper their ability to hold those areas and should eventually allow the Ukrainians to sweep the orcs eastward all the way towards Mariupol. Orcs that can't get food and ammo won't stick around to fight based on previous episodes in this war.
aezmvp
Gordo14 said:

aezmvp said:

Yes and hopefully they can/have built up the logistical depth and firepower to do those two things at once or quickly in succession. They would want to wrap this up by mid September to early October when the rain starts again and the Russians can't get supplies in easily. Then you cut/pound logistical and infrastructure support to Crimea and force a massive problem for the Russians. That's a very big ask. The Ukes have bought themselves a lot of time in which to arm, train and build their resources. Hopefully they can pull it off!
LMCane
aezmvp said:

one important strategic event is that by liberating the west/north bank of the Dnipro- that completely saves Odessa from any potential Russian strike from the West along the Black Sea.
AgLA06
AG
At least gives them more buffer. Doesn't stop the guided missiles from the water.
Gordo14
Definitely. Just highlighting that yes it's a still long way from the end goals of this conflict, but it's a critical step that gives them momentum. The Dnipro river can be circumvented, so they don't need a river crossing.
txags92
AG
LMCane said:

aezmvp said:

one important strategic event is that by liberating the west/north bank of the Dnipro- that completely saves Odessa from any potential Russian strike from the West along the Black Sea.
Not to mention putting Sevastopol in range for HIMARS launching from south of Kherson. Makes it much more difficult for them to continue to reload the cruise missiles on their subs that are being used to attack western and southern Ukraine
GarryowenAg
AG
Is the Kerch bridge within HIMARS range from the southern tip of Kherson?

Edit: Google is telling me Kherson to Kerch is roughly 330km, so I'm assuming the direct distance must be well within HIMARS range.
FriscoKid
AG

TRM
AG
The HIMARS rockets Ukraine has only has a range of 65-70km.
GarryowenAg
AG
You're right. I'm thinking ATACAMS.
GarryowenAg
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 714 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.