***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,541,718 Views | 47724 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Ag with kids
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Uncorroborated, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm reminded of the quote from Apollo 13.

"Don't tell me what you don't have. Tell me what you do have and lets make this work" (Or something like that)

Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
docb
AG
FriscoKid said:

Waffledynamics said:

Uncorroborated, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm reminded of the quote from Apollo 13.

"Don't tell me what you don't have. Tell me what you do have and lets make this work" (Or something like that)

But unlike Apollo 13 we have a way to get it there
Waffledynamics
AG
Reports of heavy Russian shelling in Merefa, South of Kharkiv. I bet they're hitting Ukrainian logistics, as the map seems to indicate there are railways there if I'm reading it correctly.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/23-may-heavy-shelling-in-merefa
Build It
AG
100km range. Hoping this allows some ships out of Odessa.
74OA
AG
Build It said:

100km range. Hoping this allows some ships out of Odessa.
Another reason why holding onto Snake Island was important as it extends the reach of such weapons.
JFABNRGR
AG
CM Trump Voter said:

I for one would have thought that mercenaries would have a more stable home life.
I think any career that keeps you away from your family, for extended periods of time and or on the special holidays is tough.

Great short listen and view on another US SF soldier and why he is there.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/23/europe/ukraine-us-soldier-irpin-intl-cmd/index.html
74OA
AG
Latest from Jomini of the West. Scroll for individual maps of major combat areas. Enlarge maps to read explanatory text.

UPDATE
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/23/world/europe/us-ukraine-howitzers.html

My goodness. The author must have been stroking his muzzle brake as he was typing that. That is the first hagiographic composition I have ever read about an artillery piece.

Quote:

...It is the American-made M777 howitzer. It shoots farther, moves faster and is hidden more easily, and it's what the Ukrainian military has been waiting for.

It's actually a British designed and manufactured gun from BAE. It was originally based on a design by Vickers before BAE acquired them. All the fabrication was performed in the UK and then the parts were shipped to Mississippi for final assembly.
chickencoupe16
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/23/world/europe/us-ukraine-howitzers.html

My goodness. The author must have been stroking his muzzle brake as he was typing that. That is the first hagiographic composition I have ever read about an artillery piece.

Quote:

...It is the American-made M777 howitzer. It shoots farther, moves faster and is hidden more easily, and it's what the Ukrainian military has been waiting for.

It's actually a British designed and manufactured gun from BAE. It was originally based on a design by Vickers before BAE acquired them. All the fabrication was performed in the UK and then the parts were shipped to Mississippi for final assembly.

I'm sorry, sir, but there's not enough freedom in this reply. 'Merica, *******it!
Faustus
NM
shiftyandquick
Kissinger has called on Ukraine to give up territory. The faction that believes that Russia should not be allowed to lose this war is growing.
MouthBQ98
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Kissinger has called on Ukraine to give up territory. The faction that believes that Russia should not be allowed to lose this war is growing.

A lot of people want it over with out of self interest with the presumption that when the shooting stops, global economic stability will markedly improve.

What will Russia have done to deserve reduction in sanctions and renewed access to global markets at that point?

Also, the usual globalist crowd in the US government wants access to the huge grift opportunities that would be presented by a Ukraine reconstruction effort.

There are many selfish interests wanting to stop the conflict as soon as possible almost regardless of the justifiability or tenability of the outcome, plus those that see any halt to fighting as preferable, despite whatever territorial injustices might result from a humanitarian standpoint.

The counter arguments are of course the encouragement of future incremental aggression by effectively rewarding the efforts of Russia with seized territories in negotiations, and the injustices done to the Ukrainians who would have their citizenship negotiated away.

The war is ugly, but those pushing a quick and pragmatic end aren't the ones that would have their independence and rights sold out as the price for everyone else's socioeconomic stability improvement.
MeatDr
AG

Sea Speed
AG
Good post. Always enjoy your insights.
Waffledynamics
AG
Russia is deploying Iskander missiles North across the border in the Kharkiv area, and also now near Brest, Belarus. That's right at the Polish/Belarusian border.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/24-may-russia-has-deployed-iskander-missiles-in-brest-region
Waffledynamics
AG
Per LiveUaMap, it seems like Russia is hitting Kharkiv from Russia... and the sea???

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/24-may-shelling-in-kharkiv-with-missiles-from-the-side-of
Rossticus
Full Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1529072001188610049.html

sclaff
AG
AggieLit
shiftyandquick said:

He supports it with a lot of nonsense about Russia being a part of Europe for 400 years and "guarantor of the European balance of power structure." Never mind that just a few decades ago the European "balance of power" had its division point right through Berlin and everyone to the east was under Russia's oppressive regime. Was there anything wrong about upsetting the balance of power then?

Arguments from history always smell. Lots of nonsense about "Well, Ukraine was historically an integral part of Russia." What does that matter to the people raped and murdered in Bucha? Does a child looking for his parents whose bodies are lying in a ditch care that Kyiv was once the capital of Rus' and was therefore the historical birthplace of something called "Russian civilization," which for the most part just amounted to a few nobles trying to keep up with the French and Italians in arts and decor?

The only thing that gives any nation or civilization any validity is if it can give its people better lives than they could get outside it. The moment they find another civilization that can keep them safer and give them more opportunity, the first civilization has reached its expiration date. If it then starts reaching for illusions about its past and absolute decrees about who should be a part of it, it's become malignant and should be opposed with all available resources before it draws more defenseless people into its downward spiral.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

I'm hesitant to believe the reports of Russia running out of anything just because we see old tech. We saw Maxim guns earlier, and supposedly they've been running out of missiles for months.

It could be true, but I'm just not seeing enough to believe it yet.
AggieKatie2
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

I'm hesitant to believe the reports of Russia running out of anything just because we see old tech. We saw Maxim guns earlier, and supposedly they've been running out of missiles for months.

It could be true, but I'm just not seeing enough to believe it yet.
Mostly propaganda IMHO. Why use your best stuff when you can grind the opposition out with old junk and sheer numbers. If they were attack and RTB it would make sense, but if you are planning to stay and occupy, use the junk.
92AG10
AG
If they are fighting with T-62s, they are running out of modern tanks. These are significantly less capable, less armored and more maintenance intensive. They lack modern fire control and stabilization systems. You are talking about equipment that was chewed up in mass during the SIx Day and Yom Kippur wars.
74OA
AG
More nations sign-up for long-term military support for Ukraine. GROUP
Demosthenes81
AG
T-62s are perfectly adequate for butchering unarmed civilians in captured areas.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
TRM
AG
It wasn't that they're running out of bombs and missiles, but ran out of what they had originally allocated.
Waffledynamics
AG
TRM said:

It wasn't that they're running out of bombs and missiles, but ran out of what they had originally allocated.

I see. That makes a big difference in understanding Russia's wherewithal and circumstances in this conflict.
Zobel
AG
On paper a javelin for a tank seems like great ROI. But the US has provided some 7,000 to Ukraine which is probably around 1/3 of our total inventory. Allegedly we can make around 6,500 a year. Javelins arent the only anti-armor platform (NLAW etc) though.

The Russians have 2800 tanks in service and some silly number like 10000 in storage plus another 20000+ other kinds of armored vehicles. We can speculate about the condition and combat worthiness of those tanks, but the bottom line is the Russians have a lot of armor ranging from garbage to good to expend.

From what I've read, the javelin vs tank number is not the relevant metric. It's about trained soldiers and morale, and I'm not sure that favors Ukraine. Those are two things we can't ship them.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Waffledynamics said:

TRM said:

I see. That makes a big difference in understanding Russia's wherewithal and circumstances in this conflict.

Also, it's guided bombs and missiles. We are seeing them be judicious in their use and more lovers with "dumb" munitions.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
Zobel said:

On paper a javelin for a tank seems like great ROI. But the US has provided some 7,000 to Ukraine which is probably around 1/3 of our total inventory. Allegedly we can make around 6,500 a year. Javelins arent the only anti-armor platform (NLAW etc) though.

The Russians have 2800 tanks in service and some silly number like 10000 in storage plus another 20000+ other kinds of armored vehicles. We can speculate about the condition and combat worthiness of those tanks, but the bottom line is the Russians have a lot of armor ranging from garbage to good to expend.

From what I've read, the javelin vs tank number is not the relevant metric. It's about trained soldiers and morale, and I'm not sure that favors Ukraine. Those are two things we can't ship them.
Yes the Russians have crapload of armor. But I would argue that the trained soldiers and moral losses are working more against the Russians than the Ukes. Their use of stand-off attacks is solely designed to limit the already incredible KIA/WIA casualties they have sustained to date.

But there major Achilles heal has been and will continue to be holding territory indefinitely and protecting resupply routes. Russian gains will be temporary and losses will continue to mount.
Rossticus
Faustus
Great article/changing map showing Russia's most recent movements and goals.

As you scroll through the article the Ukraine map changes to reflect the events being talked about in the article.
I can't link the map, but it's worth the scroll through if you can access it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/05/24/world/europe/russia-shrinking-war-ukraine.html

Quote:

. . .
After failing to topple Ukraine's government in Kyiv, Russia redeployed troops for a far less ambitious goal: Seize the rest of the Donbas, beyond the area where Russia had already advanced a month ago.
. . .
Again and again, Russia's military has had to accept the difficult reality that it doesn't have the force necessary to fight in too many places at once.

The area with the most critical battles is only 75 miles wide and includes three key cities: Sloviansk, Kramatorsk and Sievierodonetsk.

Russia's war is now focused on this area. The Kremlin is targeting five routes to Sloviansk that would allow it to encircle tens of thousands of Ukrainian troops. It has moved closer in places, but it still hasn't broken through.

An enormous Russian force has gathered in Izium and regularly sends units down the main highway to Sloviansk. Artillery shells frontline villages, tanks batter Ukrainian defenses and attack helicopters fly overhead.

Both sides have taken heavy casualties, but Russia has failed to overwhelm the Ukrainian fighters, who have held their positions for weeks.

In an attempt to cut off Ukrainian supply lines, Russian soldiers have also targeted the main road and rail line connecting Sloviansk to the rest of Ukraine.

But this advance has stalled too. Each failed attempt takes a toll on Russia's already depleted military as soldiers are injured or killed, and units become smaller and less effective.

Another advance has made more progress, taking some villages and farmland north of the town of Lyman, which is now under direct attack.

Russia's playbook to capture towns and villages with limited manpower is brutal destroy urban areas with heavy artillery and rocket fire, and then move in a few days later. This strategy suits the depleted Russian army, which does not have the troops required for sustained urban warfare.

But Ukrainian forces have another key defensive resource impeding Russian progress: the Severski Donets River.When a Russian battalion tried to use pontoon bridges to cross the river this month, it was a complete disaster.

Public evidence suggests well over 400 Russian soldiers may have been killed or wounded by Ukrainian artillery.

As advances north of Sloviansk have slowed or stalled, Russia has started fighting for an even smaller area, the city of Sievierodonetsk. As the easternmost city still under Ukrainian control, Sievierodonetsk is exposed to Russian artillery on multiple sides. Shelling has destroyed vast areas of the city and civilians are left with no electricity or running water.

Ukrainian officials expect a siege similar to what Mariupol experienced. Ukrainian troops will likely hold onto Sievierodonetsk as long as they can, while inflicting as many losses on Russia's military as possible.

Russia's military has gained ground elsewhere in the Donbas. It has finally taken over Mariupol after negotiating the surrender of the last significant pocket of Ukrainian fighters in the Azovstal steel plant.

It also forced Ukrainian forces to withdraw from Popasna after relentless shelling and missile strikes left no buildings for them to defend the city from. In a threatening advance, Russia is now moving north from Popasna to try to encircle troops in Sievierodonetsk and prevent supplies getting in from the west.

But these victories aren't enough for Russia to gain control of the Donbas, and its problems may only worsen as the war drags on.

Russian forces are inflicting immense losses on the Ukrainian military, but they are coming at a cost to Russia's own supply of troops and equipment. At the same time, Ukraine continues to receive weapons from NATO countries that will better equip it for launching counterattacks.

Ukraine also has a more reliable supply of fighters than Russia does. President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia has been reluctant to order a national draft, and so Moscow is fighting at near peacetime staffing levels.

Without enlisting more troops, there is only so long that Russia can continue to push forward. The farther that Russian troops push, the longer their supply lines become and the more exposed they are to Ukrainian counterattacks, so Russia has to reposition troops to defend territory it has already won.

Russia has a limited window to reestablish momentum and make significant advances. After that, it may be forced into more defensive positions, and the war could drift into a stalemate. With troops and equipment dwindling, the battle for the Donbas is likely to be the last major offensive of the war.
. . .
74OA
AG
AGS-R-TUFF said:

Zobel said:

Yes the Russians have crapload of armor. But I would argue that the trained soldiers and moral losses are working more against the Russians than the Ukes. Their use of stand-off attacks is solely designed to limit the already incredible KIA/WIA casualties they have sustained to date.

But there major Achilles heal has been and will continue to be holding territory indefinitely and protecting resupply routes. Russian gains will be temporary and losses will continue to mount.
Moscow's Achilles Heel also includes an imploding economy and worsening demographic trends, both of which severely undercut its ability to materially sustain a hugely expensive long-term offensive/occupation against a determined opponent whose hatred of Russia is now off the charts.

Ukrainians have proven they are willing to bleed for their country. We'll see how long Putin's propaganda machine can motivate Russians to die killing fellow Slavs while the Rodina is steadily impoverished.
First Page Last Page
Page 622 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.