***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,596,310 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by Ag with kids
lb3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

The report said the Ukrainians distracted the Moskva with a TB-2 and then fired a Neptune at it. IIRC, older radars and battle management systems cannot conduct both antimissile and anti-aircraft functions at the same time, so I wonder if focusing on the TB-2 is what allowed the Neptune to strike undetected?

Whoever came up with this idea is a world class tactician. Clever doesn't even begin to describe it IMO
I don't think it was that complicated. I suspect the US gave the Ukes the general location of the Moskva and the Ukes sent a TB-2 to get a more precise location to target the Neptune.

I don't know much about Russian warships but I would be shocked if their High frequency targeting radars can't operate at the same time as their low frequency long range search radars.

LMCane
Captain Positivity said:

Was wondering what was in those tubes. Gees.

Hoping the Moskva's complement of choppers is at the bottom of the Black Sea as well.
CondensedFogAggie
Agthatbuilds said:

There is no way the Ukes are using known headquarters, which would be target zero since a month ago.

Tell me they're operating from secret bunkers scattered here and there.
benchmark
AG
LMCane said:

BusterAg said:

GH?
Global Hawk
US UAS
General Atomics stated they would provide UAS/UAV to Ukraine if the USG approved
Global Hawk is mfg'd by Northrop and not something the US would or could provide. That said, it's very likely a US Global Hawk located the Cruiser and passed the intel to Ukraine. The Ukrainians could not have pinpointed the ship's location without US help.
Rossticus
They've been logging lots of hours along Ukraine's borders and over the Black Sea since this thing started. I love me some FORTE
deddog
AG
agent-maroon said:

The rus are putting their incompetence on display for the whole world to see. How the hell do you lose your flagship to a country lacking a functional navy? Seriously, how?

With US assistance…make no mistake about it. It ain't easy targeting a warship in the middle of the sea. They would certainly have inputs from US intelligence on the specific location of the Slava/Moskva
Once fired and close in range, I assume the Neptunes guidance computers would take over. This might be the most devastating loss of the war for Putin. It's like the Brits losing the Hood or Prince of Wales
Rossticus
deddog
AG
lb3 said:

agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

The report said the Ukrainians distracted the Moskva with a TB-2 and then fired a Neptune at it. IIRC, older radars and battle management systems cannot conduct both antimissile and anti-aircraft functions at the same time, so I wonder if focusing on the TB-2 is what allowed the Neptune to strike undetected?

Whoever came up with this idea is a world class tactician. Clever doesn't even begin to describe it IMO
I don't think it was that complicated. I suspect the US gave the Ukes the general location of the Moskva and the Ukes sent a TB-2 to get a more precise location to target the Neptune.

I don't know much about Russian warships but I would be shocked if their High frequency targeting radars can't operate at the same time as their low frequency long range search radars.

The TB2s could also be a ruse to provide plausible deniability to US intelligence
The Moskva is large enough that it would be easy for the US to provide a very specific, real time location
PA24
AG
Rossticus said:

This thread is a full day ahead of MSM.
Rossticus
At this point I've decided to coin a phrase that I think likely bears remembering as we move forward.

Never underestimate the predictability of Russian ineptitude.
Rossticus
Goes to show what a network of people committed to information curation and dissemination are capable of. Best to cut out the corporate infotainment middle man whenever possible. Wouldn't be possible without a bunch of knowledgeable posters on TexAgs, a committed global OSINT community, and people on the ground sharing info real time.
HTownAg98
Putin's Razor: when presented with two plausible military strategies, the dumber one is the one Putin will go with.
Rossticus
HTownAg98 said:

Putin's Razor: when presented with two plausible military strategies, the dumber one is the one Putin will go with.
wangus12
AG
Rossticus said:

Savage. Anonymous needs this to interrupt the morning state newscast in Russia tomorrow
fullback44
AG
Man it took me over an hour to catch up on today's postings, great info on the big Russian ship sinking, I think the sinking and Ukraine getting our long range artillery pieces will cause night mares for Russian forces, I think this was a trap for Russia, the Ukraine is now going to start picking them apart from long range, look how many artillery shells we are providing …. Ruskies are fixing to take a beating I would bet
txaggie02
AG
deddog
AG
PA24 said:

Rossticus said:

This thread is a full day ahead of MSM.

Ironically, Atlantic conveyor was sunk because the Argentine pilots mistook it for the HMS invincible, the flagship of the Royal Navy. The Conveyor was set up as a decoy for this purpose, and targeting for the Argentines was provided by a P2 NEPTUNE
ABATTBQ11
AG
Needs Titanic music
deddog
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I don't think his initial strategy was wrong. It was actually pretty good . The tactical execution was disastrous Instead of the Ukrainians, Putin should be executing the fat lazy ass generals who came up with the horrendous plan of attack
Rossticus
ABATTBQ11 said:

Needs Titanic music

I thought it was Titanic music played poorly on a recorder. "Honoring" the janky Russian navy with a janky rendition of the song.
Fitch
AG

ABATTBQ11
AG
LMCane said:

Captain Positivity said:

Was wondering what was in those tubes. Gees.

Hoping the Moskva's complement of choppers is at the bottom of the Black Sea as well.

Probably only had 1, but that ship and everything on it were probably worth $1 billion or more. That's a massive loss.
ABATTBQ11
AG
fullback44 said:

Man it took me over an hour to catch up on today's postings, great info on the big Russian ship sinking, I think the sinking and Ukraine getting our long range artillery pieces will cause night mares for Russian forces, I think this was a trap for Russia, the Ukraine is now going to start picking them apart from long range, look how many artillery shells we are providing …. Ruskies are fixing to take a beating I would bet

It would be interesting to see what rockets we give them with the HIMARS. Could see some used to hit supply depots or rail heads.
fullback44
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_Fleet

In the order of battle section...

Type: Guided Missile Cruiser
Name: Moskva
Class: Slava
Year: 1983
Status: Fleet Flagship;[128][129] Turned into an artificial reef by Ukrainian Neptune missile strike on 13 April 2022
Rossticus
Notice that a few folks who're usually very active in the evenings all went coincidentally silent, concurrently, this evening?
Dawg6
AG
Rossticus said:

Full Thread. Lots of detail.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514379947405623299.html

The ship is covered with anti shipping missiles relatively unprotected. I would think that hitting one of them would set off a chain reaction to destroy the ship.
Rossticus
As it is now at the bottom of the sea and, based on reports, traveled there in relatively short order, I imagine you're not far off.

fullback44
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_Fleet

In the order of battle section...

Type: Guided Missile Cruiser
Name: Moskva
Class: Slava
Year: 1983
Status: Fleet Flagship;[128][129] Turned into an artificial reef by Ukrainian Neptune missile strike on 13 April 2022
That's funny .. artificial reef … more like artificial reef with plenty of bait
Rossticus
WHY do they keep parking stuff there?!?! I'm starting to think someone is deliberately trying to sabotage the Russian army in Kherson. There's no other logical explanation aside from epic stupidity. And I'm finding it hard to believe that even the dumbest of Russians would keep staging stuff there, at a complete loss as to how it keeps getting wasted every time.

Rossticus
Look at Japan! Hell yeah!

Rossticus
I guess the Russians didn't actually shoot down 120% of the TB2s like they claimed. Imagine that.

Rossticus

GarryowenAg
AG
Zoomed in image of one of the photos you posted.
MeatDr
AG
If the TB2 serving as a distraction didn't actually get shot down, that would be some sweet footage. One can hope!
First Page Last Page
Page 483 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.