***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,607,946 Views | 47849 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 74OA
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JFABNRGR
AG
Rossticus said:

I wasn't aware of this either.

Hits the target a size of an A4 paper sheet at 20KM.

Well i guess that answers my smart munitions/ accuracy questions. Go UKR.

Is there a stock symbol?
Asking for a friend.
lb3
AG
Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

From what I gather, and how Russia has been summarily terrible at strategy, this is probably correct. The Ukes could probably use stormtrooper tactics and roll up a lot of Russians. I just don't see the Russians have the presence of professional war fighting to have an established and planned FLOT (Forward Line of Own Troops, or established front line for those may not know) ready to receive the Ukes.

Do the Ukes throw the dice and charge in? I can't make the call of course but I would do it, based off the little I do know. Russia is not doing well. If the Ukes can punch a breakthrough and exploit it it can snowball out of control for Russia. That has to be worth a try, no?
I've got no applicable experience but I'm fairly well read and agree that now is the time for a counter attack.

(Pull up a map.)

If the Russians dig-in in the east, and the Ukes can't break through do the Ukes have the ability to seize any Russian territory in order to flank the Russians or even maneuver to their rear? It's all farm land as far as the eye can see so other than a million bayous and small rivers, the unguarded Russian terrain would permit a fairly rapid advance. Similar to the Germans side-stepping the Maginot line.

Or rather than trying to free Donetsk, would you go for the jugular and try to reach Sevastopol?

If the Ukes have ~400k regulars and nearly a million irregulars, it seems that all that stands between them and Sevastopol are some knocked out bridges across the Dnieper River and the likely artillery covering the M17/E97 highway into Crimea.

With only 3 narrow passages into and out of Crimea, things could get pretty crowded and panic could set in amongst the Russian troops if the Ukes can employ some artillery or air power. Dreaming now but if the CBU-105 could be fitted to old Soviet aircraft….

There are also several nice aqueducts north of Crimea that that would make for fairly defensible lines to keep the Russians from redeploying and flanking a southern Uke push. It's a shame NATO hasn't delivered any armor or aircraft to Ukraine. Now would be the time to employ it.
Rossticus
For entertainment purposes only.

Rossticus
wangus12
AG
Rossticus said:

I seriously think that we may need to consider offering Ukrainian servicemen honorary Texan status. This is too good! A "naval attack" to intercept a convoy. Lol.

I'm telling you, any Uke that decides after all this is said in done that they want to leave, should be more than welcome to come to Texas. Give them first dibs on anything before the Californians get here
Jock 07
AG
Rossticus said:

For entertainment purposes only.

So I had never heard of this group until this thread. I just looked them up and they describe themselves as " A weekly podcast by two Russians manoeuvring the hellscape of American cultural hegemony". No one's forcing them to be here, they can **** right off and get the **** out. And take all the CCP confucius institute ****tards with them.
Rossticus
Rossticus
CowPieAndFries
javajaws said:

IMO if you can't get Russia removed from the UN security council then every NATO country needs to remove themselves from the UN immediately. The UN is a joke and serves no purpose as is.

It may seem that wat but they are very good at food distribution for famished nations and health care. Diplomacy? Not so much.
Waffledynamics
AG
Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

From what I gather, and how Russia has been summarily terrible at strategy, this is probably correct. The Ukes could probably use stormtrooper tactics and roll up a lot of Russians. I just don't see the Russians have the presence of professional war fighting to have an established and planned FLOT (Forward Line of Own Troops, or established front line for those may not know) ready to receive the Ukes.

Do the Ukes throw the dice and charge in? I can't make the call of course but I would do it, based off the little I do know. Russia is not doing well. If the Ukes can punch a breakthrough and exploit it it can snowball out of control for Russia. That has to be worth a try, no?
Would the troops in the Donbas not have more experience? If the conflict has been ongoing for 8 years there, I would expect them to be a bit more prepared than the rando scrubs sent in through Belarus.
Rossticus
Long but, IMO, a must read. Zelensky flatly calls out Germany and France for selling out Ukraine to Russia since 2008 in addition to calling out Russia and Russian people for Bucha. See below for subtitled full address if you'd prefer that.

Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1510818211163676672.html

clw04
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Eliminatus said:

Rossticus said:

Would the troops in the Donbas not have more experience? If the conflict has been ongoing for 8 years there, I would expect them to be a bit more prepared than the rando scrubs sent in through Belarus.
From the looks of troop deaths and hardware losses, the elite Russian troops were sent to Kharkiv, Kyiv, and Kherson-> Odessa. The separatist armies have fought in Donbas, but it hasn't appeared that a lot of the elite Russian equipment or soldiers were in Donbas. It wasn't until they were stuck Northwest of Kiev that it appeared that some of the elite SOF and Chechen forces were transitioned to Mariupol.
Rossticus
Here's an article on Bucha from Spain for anyone who'd like a non-American take. As one would expect, it's graphic. As one would expect, it IS in Spanish.

https://www.revista5w.com/temas/conflictos/los-cadaveres-de-la-retirada-rusa-53946
thirdcoast
AG
Pretty good non-political summary of dynamics at play
RebelE Infantry
AG
Lol they don't even live here.
Rossticus
You'll need to translate it but it's an excellent read re: Bucha. Graphic. Here's the first paragraph as a primer:

"After the retreat of Russian troops from Buchi, photos of mass graves and executed civilians appeared online. According to the Ukrainian authorities, at least 280 people have been killed here over the past month. The satellite city of Kiev itself is almost completely destroyed. "That's it" talked to a local resident Vladislav Kozlovsky, who was an eyewitness to the executions of local residents and lived in the occupied city for a month."

https://vot-tak.tv/novosti/03-04-2022-rasstrely-zhitelej-buchi/

EDIT: Happy to email or PM a translation to anyone who isn't able to do it. Pretty sure staff doesn't want me to clutter the board by posting a full translation.
Waffledynamics
AG
I just want to take this time to thank you, Rossticus, for the excellent work you are doing for this thread with the information you're sharing. Thanks to everyone, in fact. People have said multiple times that this thread is invaluable. Well done on making it so informative.

Now, a strategic question: Russia has been hitting Odessa lately. Do we think they actually intend to invade it? If so, it seems their launches have been from Crimea. If this is true, it seems like a diversion of firepower away from the East. If the Ukrainians can taken back Crimea, it would be at heavy losses and probably harm the efforts in the Donbas.

Russiia is playing a game here.
Rossticus
Heavy losses to take Crimea and not a given you'd be successful given the solid logistical support that Russia can maintain as well as ease of Russian naval and air support. You don't want to focus on Crimea until you've wrapped up the rest of the country and secured it from the east.

Seal off Crimea and make it as much of a non-factor as possible while you drive Russia out of as much of the rest of the country as you can (before they can refit, redeploy, and really dig in). Time is a critical element.

My opinion at least. There are guys who know a ton more than me on this and may see things that I'm not.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

I just want to take this time to thank you, Rossticus, for the excellent work you are doing for this thread with the information you're sharing. Thanks to everyone, in fact. People have said multiple times that this thread is invaluable. Well done on making it so informative.

Thank you, and you're quite welcome! Happy to do it and glad that it may provide a bit of benefit to some folks who don't necessarily have the time or bandwidth to follow this stuff granularly.

I absolutely appreciate everyone that brings content, expertise, and insight to this thread, as well as general participation. Thanks to all y'all!
Rossticus
For Twitter users, here are a couple of accounts that are Russian aligned that would be worth following if you're interested in a robust view of all sides.

I neither endorse nor agree with them as it pertains to most things but I also feel that's it's critical to have full awareness of competing viewpoints and the information that they're basing their opinions on.

@GeromanAT
@Tom_Fowdy
aggrad02
AG
Rossticus said:

Heavy losses to take Crimea and not a given you'd be successful given the solid logistical support that Russia can maintain as well as ease of Russian naval and air support. You don't want to focus on Crimea until you've wrapped up the rest of the country and secured it from the east.

Seal off Crimea and make it as much of a non-factor as possible while you drive Russia out of as much of the rest of the country as you can (before they can refit, redeploy, and really dig in). Time is a critical element.

My opinion at least. There are guys who know a ton more than me on this and may see things that I'm not.

Is retaking Crimea a realistic Ukrainian goal? Is there anyone left in Crimea who want to be a part of Ukraine, or has Russia completely resettled it? Is it worth it?
Rossticus

Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1510681931217784834.html
Rossticus

Rossticus
Here's a perfect example of how misinfo is seeded for the sake of disinfo/sow doubt in events.

I previously posted a link to a pic of a woman with a swastika burned into her. It turns out that this pic appears to have originated in Mariupol a week ago.

The source is a guy known to disseminate photos originating from Russian sources as well as to photograph events later debunked as staged. This photo was then recirculated amidst the release of many of the other photos from Bucha, originating again from this source, and then pointed to as evidence of Bucha events being faked or misrepresented.

It's all completely convoluted and confusing but it is a common means of sowing distrust and disbelief. Always have to be on your guard but also be aware that it's an intentional tactic meant to lead to your disillusionment toward all information regarding certain events. Glad this one got caught and that there was still a trail to the original. The guy below does good work and will provide you the original source if you reach out (if you're so inclined as the pic is to graphic to post in the thread).

MeatDr
AG
Ulysses90
AG
CowPieAndFries said:

javajaws said:

IMO if you can't get Russia removed from the UN security council then every NATO country needs to remove themselves from the UN immediately. The UN is a joke and serves no purpose as is.

It may seem that wat but they are very good at food distribution for famished nations and health care. Diplomacy? Not so much.

Well that's certainty positive spin. Until the past month, UN peacekeepers were the undisputed world champions of raping refugees.
bonfarr
AG
The Ukes have switched from begging for anti-tank and stinger missiles to now wanting main battle tanks and APCs. Hopefully this signals their intent to move from a defensive strategy to an offensive. I imagine they need the armor if they want to make a push into and hold areas in the East and the South where the Russians and separatists have been entrenched for some time.
MeatDr
AG

Anyone still think they'll be satisfied with the Donbas?
MeatDr
AG

Local traffic to Kaliningrad through Lithuania will probably have to be excepted because there are some major treaties and agreements with the EU there. In my opinion, it would be seen as a major provocation, could end up with Russia invading and trying to take over that corridor, and then you have Russia invading a NATO state.
aggrad02
AG
MeatDr said:

Local traffic to Kaliningrad through Lithuania will probably have to be excepted because there are some major treaties and agreements with the EU there. In my opinion, it would be seen as a major provocation, could end up with Russia invading and trying to take over that corridor, and then you have Russia invading a NATO state.

Russia isn't respecting treaties so why should anyone else with. F* it, let them try to invade a NATO country and see what happens.
MeatDr
AG
HTownAg98
MeatDr said:

They couldn't take Kviv, but they're somehow going to invade a country allied with Poland? The Polish military would mop the floor with these guys, and they wouldn't be nice about it either, as they have a "Pepperidge Farms remembers" memory of the last time the Russians tangled with them.
wangus12
AG
MeatDr said:

Good luck with that. Quickest route via Belarus requires going through Lithuania and/or Poland. If the last month has proven anything, its that Russia would not succeed in that and would most likely lose in a conventional war with Poland. If they went in just Lithuania, there is zero chance that Poland doesn't get involved. FAFO
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm going to say no, but I think they're also trying maintain justification for what will inevitably be an economic and military ****show. At some point, sanctions will start cutting deeply, and at some point Russia will have to come to terms with a **** ton of guys not being home. They have to make this as popular as they can while they can to ride it for as long as they can.
First Page Last Page
Page 433 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.