***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,612,230 Views | 47851 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
jobu93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BlueSmoke said:

oldmanguy said:

East/SE Ukraine is steppe country. Expect the Russians, although with seemingly very poor soldiers, to make gains especailly after a buildup. Armor running in open country (assuming they get off the damned roads, finally) is going to eat up real estate and pose an engulfment issue for infantry that it flanks.

I will say this, though. Given the amount of ATGMs the Ukes have and the swarms of older RPGs. If Russia doesn't get on their horse quickly, any anti armor infantry will eat their lunch.

hold onto your butts!
With all the apparent mud, does that explain why they been on the roads so much and why incursions into open territory would be difficult?
to a point, yes. the mud during the thaw is very problematic to multi ton tracked vehicles and their support crews. But when you are getting picked off on the roads, you get off the damned roads.

The timing of the invasion I think was delayed due to China's Olympics. That put the Russians advancing during some really inhospitable conditions. As this war moves into the next months and the ground firms up, it will open a lot more possiblities for each side. My hope is that this stall and repositioning gets the Ukes enough time so that every man behind every blade of grass not only has an AK but also has an anti tank weapon of at least inflicting a mobility kill. Maybe, hopefully, the Ukes get longer legged anti air assets too.

I think Belarus' refusal to jump in really has ****ed Putin in the rear. That would have opened up a front that would have been best at closing the resupply river from Poland.

take what I say with a spoonful of grains of salt. I'm a civilian that's slept at a Holiday Inn a time or two.
TXAggie2011
AG
A lot of the Twitter maps show remaining pockets of Russian control near (just north) the Hostomel/Bucha/Irpin area but a lack of Russian control north of that area--and we're getting reports of course that key crossroads like Ivankiv have been liberated by Ukrainians.

Have substantial numbers of Russians been "left behind?" Has the withdrawal been poorly coordinated? Did Ukraine force a collapse north before Russian forces closer to Kyiv were prepared to fully withdraw? Or, are areas north of Kyiv still more hotly contested than many reports are suggesting?
jobu93
AG
Many have been saying that a withdrawl during contact is a very difficult thing.

I can easily see chunks of Russians not getting out cleanly and being left behind. If that's the case maybe the Ukes can "island hop" the problematic chunks and wipe out the less problematic first.
Gilligan
AG
Rossticus said:

Dang! you can see bodies flying all over the place on that video. I wish I knew the words to the song these guys are dying to...
ATX_AG_08
AG
Ulysses90
AG
fooz said:

VaultingChemist said:

I hope this guy is wrong.

This guy has zero followers on Twitter.

I call BS.
I concur. Now, if the helicopters had rocketed a couple of apartment buildings then I would be almost convinced that it was a false flag because killing Russian civilians to whip up outrage is his signature move.
agent-maroon
AG
Yeah, burning up 3.5 million gallons of fuel is a bit excessive for a false flag. Especially for the rus

Edit to correct math
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Robk

Where the soundbite on twitter came from. It is interesting

https://www.euractiv.com/section/central-asia/interview/kazakh-official-we-will-not-risk-being-placed-in-the-same-basket-as-russia/
FriscoKid
AG

I'm sure it's just more "re-deployment". Russia is willing to give up everything to the Belarus border if that's what it takes to prove that they are redeploying and still in 100% control of all of their objectives.
aezmvp
FriscoKid said:

I'm sure it's just more "re-deployment". Russia is willing to give up everything to the Belarus border if that's what it takes to prove that they are redeploying and still in 100% control of all of their objectives.
The pace of the retreat and the rate at which Ukrainians are going is kinda nuts.
Jackie Daytona
AG
LMCane
TXAggie2011 said:

A lot of the Twitter maps show remaining pockets of Russian control near (just north) the Hostomel/Bucha/Irpin area but a lack of Russian control north of that area--and we're getting reports of course that key crossroads like Ivankiv have been liberated by Ukrainians.

Have substantial numbers of Russians been "left behind?" Has the withdrawal been poorly coordinated? Did Ukraine force a collapse north before Russian forces closer to Kyiv were prepared to fully withdraw? Or, are areas north of Kyiv still more hotly contested than many reports are suggesting?
if the Ukes have any type of strategic reserves they should be pushing some major battle groups along the Ivankiv - Dymer Axis rolling down the P02 highway

that would cut off several Ivan Regimental Combat Teams to the south and sever their supply lines. basically encircling them and pinning them against the Dneiper
jobu93
AG
Here is where my civilianship may be showing.

I kind of disagree here. The Ukes have a much more finite amount of men and material to utilize. If the goal is the recapture and repatriation of land they will have done it without large direct engagements and risking their guys. Russia could afford (maybe debatable) the loss of assets there even if routed.

I think there's a time to press the attack and a time to let the tidewaters roll back on their own.

I would be preparing the field of battle easterly and southernly as well as resetting the board in the north.

But I'm no General.
GarryowenAg
AG
Twice an Aggie
AG
Fight them now when in disorder and poor supply or fight them later after they consolidate units, resupply them and potentially reposition them. They aren't going home...eliminate the troops most experienced in combat and deal with new conscripts in the future instead.
AgLA06
AG
oldmanguy said:

Here is where my civilianship may be showing.

I kind of disagree here. The Ukes have a much more finite amount of men and material to utilize. If the goal is the recapture and repatriation of land they will have done it without large direct engagements and risking their guys. Russia could afford (maybe debatable) the loss of assets there even if routed.

I think there's a time to press the attack and a time to let the tidewaters roll back on their own.

I would be preparing the field of battle easterly and southernly as well as resetting the board in the north.

But I'm no General.

More likely to surrender in mass or ditch their equipment and run like hell.

Either way they are out of the fight long term and most likely now equipment your own forces.

Never allow the enemy another chance at success.
GarryowenAg
AG
Just started reading this, but it's worth reading if you have a moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/?fbclid=IwAR03eApMo9NO_B02MEwWbnXlR5PJQGZVrU65OBdJcvsTnvE4JcTbAGQxTY4
JFABNRGR
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/ttux95/drone_footage_of_russian_equipment_in_the_kyiv/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Man assuming this is all indirect fire, the accuracy is outstanding.
The russian units still alive definitely working to get better with dispersement, camo etc, but its hard to hide from the eyes in the sky.

MSM keeps reporting over 300 air sorties from the russians in last 24 hours but I am not seeing much evidence of damages, not sure if they hit all the telecom stuff and or well have to wait. Hoping to see several russian aircraft on the ground resulting from newly received air defenses.
AgLA06
AG
No way that's indirect fire. Way to accurate.

Spotting for another drone or Switchblades maybe?
74OA
AG
This article contains the only photo I can recall of a column of Ukrainian armor since this thing started. Lots of earlier shots of individual Ukrainian armored vehicles, but this is the first IIRC of a unit route march.

Scroll down:UNICORN
GAC06
AG

ABATTBQ11
AG
And thermal. I don't know if it ever came to fruition, but I know at one point there was development on decoys that looked like armor and had heaters inside to make them look more like armor to thermal imagers in order to mask troop deployments.
revvie
AG
If they were filled to capacity, then it would be 527,000 gal per storage unit, roughly 12500 barrels. 8 srorage units= 100000 barrels of product.
AgLA06
AG
GAC06 said:

That's a great expose. If true conservatively, 1/3 of Russia's most elite airborne unit were casualties around Kiev.
Gilligan
AG
AgLA06 said:

GAC06 said:

That's a great expose. If true conservatively, 1/3 of Russia's most elite airborne unit were casualties around Kiev.
Putin sends someone else's brothers, sons and husbands to die!
MouthBQ98
AG
If the Ukrainians can cut off and capture a good portion of the withdrawal on the northwest side of Kiev, that would be a big gain in war material and deprive Russia of a significant amount of redeployable combat power. Capture them now, it's a big propaganda victory and you don't have to fight them again. The Russians might be happy to surrender.
Demosthenes81
AG
AgLA06 said:

GAC06 said:

THAT'S how you sell a feint!
/putinistas
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
JFABNRGR
AG
Your right I also missed that they are all one shot. Which in all my training for fire support requests, single rounds were for spotting. Never got into smart munitions.

If they are switch blades than kudos to our government for getting them deployed while making it sound otherwise. The spotter recon drone certainly supports switch blade tactics but it would also for many other drones and attack systems.

I am betting somebody gave them a better drone than the TB2 and did it anonymously. Again Kudos.

There is a great 8 min vid of TB2 kills, (I will try to find), though most appear to be from Syria, that clearly show guys on the ground can hear it about 1-2 seconds before impact with the anti-tank munition.

On this video its hard to see anyone spending their remaining life trying to get to cover and I pray there is 10+ of these vids were not seeing. Reds losing 10+ tanks a day last 6 days. In another 10-12 days they will have lost 500+ MBTs.

VaultingChemist
AG

A lot of movement over two days.
Rossticus
That pocket to the northwest of Kyiv is finally about to be encircled and destroyed.
Rossticus
Ag In Ok
AG
So is Ru looking for everything east of the Mariupol/ Kharkiv line?
Rossticus
That is one chill cat. Have noticed lots of "battle cats" in Ukraine.

Rossticus
Ukraine giving Russia some of their own medicine.

aggiehawg
AG
If that was not an Ukrainian attack, then who? Belarusian saboteurs with armed helos? Mutinous Russian helo pilots?
First Page Last Page
Page 423 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.