***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,612,039 Views | 47851 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 74OA
MeatDr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

From reading the comments, this is apparently perfectly safe. Because they are antitank mines they require over 100kg of pressure to set them off. So I guess these things are completely useless unless they are hidden or being guarded since otherwise anyone can just move them...
HTownAg98
I was wondering about this, and it would make sense that you could just slide them off the road if they take that much pressure to detonate. Also likely why that cascading pile of mines that fell out of that truck didn't go off.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
VaultingChemist
AG
I hope this guy is wrong.

I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Well, if someone on Twitter said it..:
AlaskanAg99
AG
Kyiv is birthplace of Mother Russia.

Putin "Let's nuke it."

Frankly this would draw NATO in.
Mule
AG
Rossticus said:

Second chopper with the direct hit. Great lesson in tactics: Redundancy.
Texas Aggies
FJB
AG
So it appears things are escalating
Who is John Galt?

Ulysses90
AG
MeatDr said:

From reading the comments, this is apparently perfectly safe. Because they are antitank mines they require over 100kg of pressure to set them off. So I guess these things are completely useless unless they are hidden or being guarded since otherwise anyone can just move them...

Anti-tank mines laid on a paved road are a visual deterrent rather that a bid to actually destroy tanks. It seems likely to me that these mines are purely pressure detonated so the video of the car driving over them with the tires between the mines would not be a high risk (for a calm and sober driver).

The Ukrainians almost certainly have those same model of mines in their own inventory and they knew that these were safe and were not magnetically triggered mines and not equipped with anti-tamper devices.
mike0305
Huge news, the guy doing the speak the truth videos has been saying Ivankiv is a strategic hub for Russia NW of Kyiv.

MouthBQ98
AG
If you ever played BF 1942, you know you have to cover the mines with infantry to make them a true roadblock. They're just there to make vehicles stop in the open so they don't come rolling through unopposed, but if they want the roadblock to actually hold, the minefield must be protected from enemy infantry removing it.
Htownag11
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

If you ever played BF 1942, you know you have to cover the mines with infantry to make them a true roadblock. They're just there to make vehicles stop in the open so they don't come rolling through unopposed, but if they want the roadblock to actually hold, the minefield must be protected from enemy infantry removing it.
Lol I definitely played that game back in the day. But is that really what we're citing as proof of military strategy?
AgLA06
AG
FJB said:

So it appears things are escalating

This kind of response is getting old.

It's a damn war. It can't escalate much for Ukraine. It's all dinner theater and dramatics by politicians safely at home. Gullible people like you then react accordingly.

Tactical anything leads to NATO intervention. Something Russia can't allow or This entire operation is for nothing.
BlueSmoke
How much explosive would those tiny little mines have to take out a tank? Or even knock off a tread? A car, sure. You'd take out the tire...but a tank?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ulysses90 said:

MeatDr said:

Anti-tank mines laid on a paved road are a visual deterrent rather that a bid to actually destroy tanks. It seems likely to me that these mines are purely pressure detonated so the video of the car driving over them with the tires between the mines would not be a high risk (for a calm and sober driver).

The Ukrainians almost certainly have those same model of mines in their own inventory and they knew that these were safe and were not magnetically triggered mines and not equipped with anti-tamper devices.
Can also be used to setup a convoy ambush. Putting mines visibly in the road, will stop a convoy probably 100-200m from the mined location... then you attack from the flank or from the sky.

Or, when infantry come forward to remove the mines, you ambush that infantry (or snipe them)
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Htownag11 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Lol I definitely played that game back in the day. But is that really what we're citing as proof of military strategy?
Check your sarcasm meter
mike0305
I'm not a war expert, but I thought the Ukes would require longer to take back some of these towns NW of Kyiv. Have been reading Russian troops would be digging in and fortifying for defense there, and it would require significant resources + heavy losses for Uke army assuming attacking role. However it looks like they are steamrolling them.

I guess this is due to Kyiv being the most well supplied location due to proximity? There's been reports of a lot of new weapons flowing in that US has been tight lipped about (incl switchblades), and there's been a drop in videos posted due to Ukraine govt. controlling videos. I wonder if they are linked.
BQ78
AG
Pick them up and reuse them on the Russians. Sliding them off a road into a ditch just creates a problem a few years after the war when some farmer hits them with his tractor (vehicle of war). I doubt the Russians use mines that self-delete like the US uses.
JFABNRGR
AG
15+ lbs of TNT. Plenty to take out a tank. At bare minimum it will lose a track.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's jest but also truth. A mobile column rolls up, they can't just push through. They must deploy to remove the mines. When the vehicles are stopped, and infantry is deploying and exposed, that is when the ambush should be initiated. It could be devastating on a bridge or other choke point.

In this case, they probably just threw down some mines in withdrawal to slow any rapid mobile pursuit down while they scouted for a possible rear guard ambush and then removed the mines, to buy some time. It actually indicates how pragmatic it is even if it seems ridiculous.
Dawg6
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Well damn…

That is rich…
revvie
AG
From what I read, in previous days the Russians had 6-8 BTG deployed south of Ivankiv. Ukraine has cut their only supply route. Wonder how many left before Ivankiv capture.
Ulysses90
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I was not a combat engineer but I recall from TBS that the very first rule of obstacle employment is to cover the obstacle by observation and direct or indirect fires. No obstacle by itself is truly a barrier to a determined enemy who can and will breach it given enough time. Carelessly throwing mines on the ground as a counter-mobility measure wastes a useful tool and reveals more about an adversary's incompetence that it does to block or slow one's own mobility.

On a side-note (not trying to thread-jack), the principle of covering obstacles with observation to employ 'combined arms' that has been COMPLETELY LOST on reactionary opponents of the border wall between the US and Mexico. The purpose of the wall is not to stop illegal border crossers but to slow them and canalize them so that the Border Patrol can use their manpower more effectively to corral, apprehend, and incarcerate illegal crossers. The wall reduces the manpower necessary to dramatically slow the adversary's cross-border mobility.

TXAggie2011
AG
Kyiv's location and the relative safety of areas to its west would definitely have allowed a very efficient and effective near-constant influx of weaponry and other material support from the west. And Ukraine has put a significant focus on defending their capital.

The various western intelligence agencies, particularly geospatial and signals intelligence wings, are going to be working in overdrive the next days and weeks helping Ukraine figure out when and how to reposition troops eastward. (IF Russian forces really have collapsed around Kyiv and Chernihiv.)
Blackbeard94
AG
Dawg6 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Well damn…

That is rich…

Exactly, like it is some dastardly attack.

Military target. RU has not been as discerning.
Bag
AG
Dawg6 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Well damn…

That is rich…
how long can you sit and just play defense
LMCane
deddog said:

Captain Positivity said:

3rd time's the charm
for those claiming a "false flag".

why would Russia blow up the precious oil which they are already low on and contributes to the strategic effectiveness of all their forces..

instead of just hitting a useless train station?
GAC06
AG

Another Russian helo got its ticket punched
fooz
VaultingChemist said:

I hope this guy is wrong.

This guy has zero followers on Twitter.

I call BS.
Jetpilot86
AG
BQ78 said:

Pick them up and reuse them on the Russians. Sliding them off a road into a ditch just creates a problem a few years after the war when some farmer hits them with his tractor (vehicle of war). I doubt the Russians use mines that self-delete like the US uses.
As Uke Tractor warriors are the Chuck Norris of this campaign, the mines would be too scared to detonate.

Mad props to the Doolittle Choppers. There is probably a worldwide shortage of brass as the Ukes are using it for all their balls.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
LMCane said:

deddog said:

Captain Positivity said:

3rd time's the charm
for those claiming a "false flag".

why would Russia blow up the precious oil which they are already low on and contributes to the strategic effectiveness of all their forces..

instead of just hitting a useless train station?
Just because of Russia's MO, my knee-jerk was false flag as well. But, since Russia's false flags tend to be civilian targeted (Russian bombing in Chechnya for example), and not a minimally manned fuel depot. I'm not sure if it was even manned, I haven't seen anything about people killed.

Ukraine did the unexpected, and that usually will work the first time. After that, it goes into the playbook of potential scenarios and is *usually* accounted for.
jobu93
AG
East/SE Ukraine is steppe country. Expect the Russians, although with seemingly very poor soldiers, to make gains especailly after a buildup. Armor running in open country (assuming they get off the damned roads, finally) is going to eat up real estate and pose an engulfment issue for infantry that it flanks.

I will say this, though. Given the amount of ATGMs the Ukes have and the swarms of older RPGs. If Russia doesn't get on their horse quickly, any anti armor infantry will eat their lunch.

hold onto your butts!
BlueSmoke
oldmanguy said:

East/SE Ukraine is steppe country. Expect the Russians, although with seemingly very poor soldiers, to make gains especailly after a buildup. Armor running in open country (assuming they get off the damned roads, finally) is going to eat up real estate and pose an engulfment issue for infantry that it flanks.

I will say this, though. Given the amount of ATGMs the Ukes have and the swarms of older RPGs. If Russia doesn't get on their horse quickly, any anti armor infantry will eat their lunch.

hold onto your butts!
With all the apparent mud, does that explain why they been on the roads so much and why incursions into open territory would be difficult?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
VaultingChemist
AG
Rossticus said:

It appears that each of the 8 tanks that were hit could have contained about 500,000 gallons of fuel.
Main road at the facility is blocked.

First Page Last Page
Page 422 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.